PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Opening night excitement has no age limit for Spurs

duncan228
10-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Opening night excitement has no age limit for Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Opening_night_excitement_has_no_age_limit_for_Spur s.html)
Mike Monroe

They may be veterans of nine and 14 previous NBA seasons, but Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess say tonight's first regular season game with the Spurs has them as nervous and excited as when they were NBA rookies.

“I'd have to rate this in my top three,” said Jefferson of tonight's regular season opener at the AT&T Center against the Hornets. “Obviously, my rookie year, in Jersey, in 2001; then, the following year, coming back as defending (East) champions; and the year I came back from wrist surgery.

“This is right there: top one, two or three. I'm very excited.”

McDyess, who broke in with the Denver Nuggets in 1995, said he will have a severe case of pregame butterflies.

“Preseason is preseason, but the real fun starts (today),” he said. “You look forward to that and for me, personally, this whole thing has been exciting. Hopefully, we'll show everybody what we're made of.”

Body clocks adjusting: The Spurs had their second consecutive afternoon practice, beginning at 4p.m., and it appears the change in the practice schedule may last for a while.

Some players have taken to the new schedule more easily than others.

“I don't like it,” McDyess said. “I can't tell a lie. I've been practicing mornings my whole career. Adjusting to that 4 o'clock practice is hard. I think my body shuts down about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. That's my rest time.”

Team captain Tim Duncan gave a tentative thumbs-up to the new schedule.

“I'm getting used to it and trying it on for size,” he said. “It's a lot different from what we've done in the past. So far, so good. We've only had two days of it.

“Some guys like it, and some don't. That's just how it goes, and we'll see how long we stick with it.”

Cutting remarks: Duncan gave a distinct thumbs-down to coach Gregg Popovich's decision to shave off the beard he sported throughout the 2008-09 season.

Duncan, who has a beard of his own, made a half-hearted threat to stage a facial protest.

“I was disappointed,” he said. “I think I'm going to shave now ... a protest shave. I can't keep a beard now.

“I might shave half my beard, to half protest.”

honestfool84
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
“I might shave half my beard, to half protest.”

:lmao :lmao

duncan228
10-28-2009, 12:04 AM
:lmao :lmao

It's pretty funny. The interview is here.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/091027_duncan.html

Mr. Body
10-28-2009, 01:38 AM
I haven't been this nervous and jacked for a season opener for as long as I remember.

completely deck
10-28-2009, 01:50 AM
I haven't been this nervous and jacked for a season opener for as long as I remember.

You too, huh?

ezau
10-28-2009, 02:27 AM
yeah me too. I really wonder how everything's going to pan out. The last time I felt this way was Duncan's very first game.