PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts: Mavs vs. Wizards

Rogue
10-28-2009, 01:29 AM
After two years experiences of mediocrity, the Wizards have long been too urgent to wait for regaining a spot in the playoff range and they did have a perfect start tonight.

It's fair to say the Wizards had a couple of tough seasons in the previous double years, mainly due to the chronic injures of Arenas, and that induced most of us especially Mavericks fans to believe the Mavericks would receive a win tonight which seemed to be 99% guaranteed for them even before the starting whistle blown. However, the slim 1% worked out tonight and brought the win to Wizards, instead of Mavericks.

Thankfully Arenas seemed to have already fully recovered from pains and played exactly at the same level as we expected. Honestly it's kind of upset to see our beloved team losing the season debut, but I believe the sky is still the same color as our boys and the season won't end up in a huge disappointment for us when the playoff begins.

The Wizards are actually not any kind of scrubs despite their shameful records for the past 2 seasons, hence it's not really a shame for boys in blue to lose this game at all. Wizards only played bad in the past 2 years because of injures, and we all witnessed tonight what a respectable team the Wizards are when health issues have ceased troubling them.

Even though one game lost is surely not a big deal for the version of entire season, the trend and signs are actually too concerning to overlook. When the testament begins, the first always comes the lack of competence in paint. Damp used to be the guy criticized whenever this theme was under microscope, but Damp is luckily exempt tonight since he performed fairly well in the game against Wizards. 8pts and 6 boards are not brilliant harvests for someone worth 11m annually salary, but for Damp, that's well enough to satisfy us a lot.

Dirk was the only man on our side deserving some praises tonight, as it always happened in the past season especially in the playoff series against Nuggets. 34pts are actually not too remarkable for someone as great as Dirk, oppositely however, that's a dangerous sign insinuating that Dirk's teammates failed to dump this number. For quite a long while, JET and Josh have been the only two boys that can give Dirk a strong hand when their team needs points, even if JET isn't always consistent. With Josh injured and caged aside, JET had to wear more responsibilities as well as pressures tonight but he was subsequently proved unable to take off with so much weight on board. Dude shot 4-15 from field tonight, which shows how bad he crashed into the mud swamp and cracked in fragments. It's not all faults of JET himself though, anyway an air crash is seldom the result of aviator's fault only. If Damp had got more or less scoring abilities in the paint, it would have been much easier for our shooters to get the ball in the right place rather than wrong. After all, no everyone can shoot it well with palms covering his eyes.

Regardless of our trust and expectations, Gooden seemed pretty slouchy tonight on both ends of the floor. Dude only reaped 2pts through the whole game with the outrageous investment of 6 shots, though his 4 rebounds reminded us what level of player he should have been. JJB received a pair of decent numbers for both charts of scores and rebounds, but he still had to flush when thinking of who many points he gave up at the defensive end.

Ross filled in for Josh to appear as our starting SG and played fairly well, even though his stats weren't that impressive. Matrix scored 16 tonight, which was the 2nd highest on our side only behind Dirk's remarkable 34 points, but I have to devalue his stats a little bit for his mediocre works in defense. Although Marion still worked hard tonight, his efforts often went in vains when the Wizards launched pick&rolls. Probably Matrix still has yet to mesh up with teammates, or he's just not smart enough to realize any strategy of offense or defense but "run-and-gun". Anyway our squad still isn't fully mature yet thus some further amendments are still needed.

It's expected that the Mavs will suffer a tough start for this news season, partially because of Josh's absence. It's very true that Josh is so pivotal a gear in our rotation that we can hardly find any replacement to fill up this missing piece. Ross played fairly well tonight but he couldn't create even an ounce of threat at the offensive end, which forces Dirk to take more showy shots while having to decrease the percentage of made ones, and subsequently lowers our offensive efficiency.

The upcoming trip to LA will definitely not be an enjoyable journey, that said, even the Clippers may probably be an obstruct to fight hard against. However, I won't lose trust for the boys in blue anyway even if they somehow start the season with 0-3 or even 0-4. The regular season lasts as long as 82 games hence 3 or 4 games are absolutely not a serious deal, and the Mavs are proven to be capable of turning the negative trend around like they did at the start of 06-07 season.

I love our boys in blue.

Findog
10-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Thank God the regular season is back. That means Rogue game recaps

eisfeld
10-28-2009, 07:55 AM
As much as I hate the off-season posts by Rogue I have to say his recaps are gold. Keep it up, very readable and informative. :tu

Indazone
10-28-2009, 08:47 AM
yay! AGENT ZERO RIDES AGAIN!

Basketballgirl25
10-28-2009, 09:21 AM
even though I hate the Mavs and would be happy to see them on a 0-3 or 0-4 start, it's good you won't lose trust in them if they were to start that way, long season and anything to happen to all teams, players getting hurt or having off nights just the beginning of a great season where any team can win if things go there way.

good recap by the way, I was actually suprised to see the Mavs lost to the Wizards

Dr Cox
10-28-2009, 09:22 AM
keep up the posts

nice read!

clambake
10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
lets just hope, in the end, they can crush the dreams of other teams.

Culburn369
10-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Well, clammy, don't get too down in the mouth. Yer gonna lose the next one against the Lakers, but, then you can set your bonnet correctly and carry on in the fine tradition of Maverick basketball.

rjv
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
mavs fan should not expect too much from gooden. spurs FO made no effort to bring him back.

as to marion , defense will never be his strong suit.

Agloco
10-28-2009, 11:07 AM
lol @ mavs being pwned by Agent 0 :lmao

Allanon
10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
The Wizards are a bad mofo team. There's no team deeper than them in the NBA. Brendan Haywood is very under-rated as a center and Foye as a bench player is serious quality.

They can be Top 3 in the East this year if they can stay healthy once Jamison comes back.

There's no shame in losing to the Wizards this year.

badfish22
10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
lol @ mavs being pwned by Agent 0 :lmao

Agent 0 is gonna pwn a lot of teams this year (if he stays healthy)

Being killed by Blatche is more pathetic of our team.

Ghazi
10-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I didn't watch the boys, but the glaring stat is 4-18 from behind the arc... and 18/76 3-PT attempts. This is a vexing trend we saw last year when the boys where Top 5 in 3PT FG attempts and bottom 5 in 3P FG%. Dirk will ensure that this team will at the very least be efficient offensively but this team needs great offense to offset that it doesnt have a lockdown defense... and that's only possible with the 3-ball.

Looking forward to watching the guys for the first time on Friday.

urunobili
10-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks Rogue :tu

Morg1411
10-28-2009, 04:50 PM
The Wizards are a bad mofo team. There's no team deeper than them in the NBA. Brendan Haywood is very under-rated as a center and Foye as a bench player is serious quality.

They can be Top 3 in the East this year if they can stay healthy once Jamison comes back.

There's no shame in losing to the Wizards this year.

:tu

I still think the Wizards could benefit from a more dominant big man (though Haywood is good, and Fabs looked great yesterday), but there's no reason they shouldn't kick plenty of ass this year.

badfish22
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
:tu

I still think the Wizards could benefit from a more dominant big man (though Haywood is good, and Fabs looked great yesterday), but there's no reason they shouldn't kick plenty of ass this year.

Blatche looked like Olajuwon last night. But that was probably because of Dallas complete lack of defense more than his skill.