PDA

View Full Version : Wife's Birthday - Need Advice (Ladies please!)

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
So my wife's birthday is coming up in November.

My plan was originally to surprise her with a room at the Emily Morgan, dinner that night at Le Reve, then a limo the next day from Emily Morgan to Yardley's for a Spa Pkg...

Some hang ups there...for one, price...not that i am cheap, but that shit is expensive. Also Le Reve is closing for good, Saturday the 31st...On top of all of that, i have read a boatload of bad reviews on the Emily Morgan, so i nixed that idea.

Here is my current plan:

Night at the Watermark Hotel and Spa in one of their Spa Suites (freakin nice setup as far as i can tell). This includes, Breakfast for two in room, private jacuzi in your room, valet, turndown service, with 150 dollar gift card for the spa at the hotel...

Dinner at Biga on the Banks.

So instead of doing the whole limo thing, figure she can knock it all out at the Watermark.

Any ideas or suggestions otherwise? Do you think this will win me a year worth of brownie points to get by on? Any yays or nays regarding the hotel or restaurant choice?

BacktoBasics
10-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Women forget easily. I'd get her a card and cheap Filipino massage and call it a day.

JudynTX
10-28-2009, 10:34 AM
It would be nice to know what she likes before offering advice.

Bigzax
10-28-2009, 10:35 AM
bottle of wine and take a trip 'downtown'...everybody's a winner!

I. Hustle
10-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Just go down on her until she tells you to stop and call it a day

katyon6th
10-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Holy shit, Le Reve is closing? I had no idea. Biga is a fair replacement. I haven't stayed at either hotel so I don't have an opinion on your choice.

And brownie points? What happened to doing something special for someone just because? Fucking men.

I. Hustle
10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Holy shit, Le Reve is closing? I had no idea. Biga is a fair replacement. I haven't stayed at either hotel so I don't have an opinion on your choice.

And brownie points? What happened to doing something special for someone just because? Fucking men.

fucking men is only special if you are a woman. If you are a man it doesn't sound too special to me.

YouTube
10-28-2009, 10:45 AM
5SO_AdNNn3g

Strike
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Women forget easily. I'd get her a card and cheap Filipino massage and call it a day.

Agreed. Every dollar you spend, all the effort you make, every calorie you burn will be forgotten the next time you leave the toilet seat up, don't take out the trash, or stay out a little too late with the boys.

Crookshanks
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
That sounds like a very nice birthday gift. Do you have children? If so, it's especially nice because she gets a night away and gets pampered. I would've loved a gift like that!

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Yea we have a son, so its a get away.

I was suprised to hear Le Reve closing too...apparently the Chef just doesnt want to do it anymore.

Does anyone have any experience with Biga? I have read good and bad things about it, so i wasnt sure. Do they have a fixed price (3 4 5 course type menu) or do you just order ala carte?

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Nice gift. You could get just as many brownie points for less money doing a bed and breakfast in Fredricksburg. Instead of the spa just stroll the town with her...they will be in the Christmas spirit/mode there and you can do some Christmas shopping "together" for family gift trinkets...Lots of good places to eat that don't cost near as much as Biga. Just sayin.

Don't make the mistake of going way out of what you can afford just to impress her. "Romantic Atmosphere" gets double points.

FortuneCookie
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Remember the simple things.........

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.

Lucky Numbers: 11, 27, 29, 37, 44, 59 22

I. Hustle
10-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Nice gift. You could get just as many brownie points for less money doing a bed and breakfast in Fredricksburg. Instead of the spa just stroll the town with her...they will be in the Christmas spirit/mode there and you can do some Christmas shopping "together" for family gift trinkets...Lots of good places to eat that don't cost near as much as Biga. Just sayin.

Don't make the mistake of going way out of what you can afford just to impress her. "Romantic Atmosphere" gets double points.

Yeah the B&B's in Fred are cool. The wifey and I did that one year and had a nice time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I had it in my mind that Soul P. was a woman for some reason. You learn something new everyday.

Southwest Airlines is running a bunch of $25 flight specials if you purchase in the next two days. Buy a flight to a nearby city and take her someplace unique there (nice dinner, night at a B&B) and she'll feel like you pulled out all the stops. Will probably be cheaper than what you're planning, with the same thoughtful effect.

katyon6th
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Yea we have a son, so its a get away.

I was suprised to hear Le Reve closing too...apparently the Chef just doesnt want to do it anymore.

Does anyone have any experience with Biga? I have read good and bad things about it, so i wasnt sure. Do they have a fixed price (3 4 5 course type menu) or do you just order ala carte?

Biga's service is impeccable. The food is great, too. I'm pretty sure they don't have a fixed price menu, but I could be wrong. I've never paid when I've eaten there so I can't be sure. If they still have it on their menu, I suggest ordering the texas goat cheese and honeycomb plate to start with. So delicious.

Ginger Vitas
10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I got this one time and it was heaven.

http://www.thyme-n-wine.com/dinner-massage.html

http://www.thyme-n-wine.com/images/dinner-and-massage-h.jpg

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I had it in my mind that Soul P. was a woman for some reason. You learn something new everyday.

Southwest Airlines is running a bunch of $25 flight specials if you purchase in the next two days. Buy a flight to a nearby city and take her someplace unique there (nice dinner, night at a B&B) and she'll feel like you pulled out all the stops. Will probably be cheaper than what you're planning, with the same thoughtful effect.

You know i considered this but wasnt aware that SW had such cheap rates. I looked at going to NYC for a getaway and it was quite a bit of $$...i may look into it for somewhere closer.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Just noticed that CC mentioned the B&B idea already....as I've said before, great minds think alike.

Crookshanks
10-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Now that's a great idea! And it shows forethought and planning. And to make it even cooler, pack an overnight bag for her in secret and don't tell her where you're going until you get to the airport. Cool idea Ed!

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
You know i considered this but wasnt aware that SW had such cheap rates. I looked at going to NYC for a getaway and it was quite a bit of $$...i may look into it for somewhere closer.

Yeah, they're running a 72 hour special with some awesome rates depending on when you can travel. Check it out my friend. :tu

angel_luv
10-28-2009, 11:21 AM

That is an excellent idea!

mrsmaalox
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
I have stayed at the Emily Morgan many times and I love it. Is your wife the kind who likes to be "fussed" over? Lots of women don't; I personally spend quite a bit of time at salons having the mani/pedis', facials, waxing but I won't have a massage because I don't like them and I don't like saunas---so be careful. My best presents have been getaways by myself, 100% Mom's day off, or the absolute best, Spurs tix packages.

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Ok new question. Any suggestion on local to fly to? This fare thing is awesome. NYC for 99 a person both ways isnt too bad, but wonder if there are any other suggestions.

She would die to eat at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant in NY.

to21
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
If I did all that for Wifey, the first thing out her mouth would be, "Whatcha do now?"

angel_luv
10-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Ok new question. Any suggestion on local to fly to? This fare thing is awesome. NYC for 99 a person both ways isnt too bad, but wonder if there are any other suggestions.

She would die to eat at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant in NY.

Oh take her there! It would be awesome!

It is on my bucket list to eat a meal personally prepared for me by Chef Ramsay.

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Hrmm...im really leaning to vegas now...Booking at Ramsay's Retaurant in NYC needs a month or more lead time, and it is a coat and tie type place...

Chef Ramsay
10-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh take her there! It would be awesome!

It is on my bucket list to eat a meal personally prepared for me by Chef Ramsay.

But could you deal with eating in Hell's kitchen!?!?

angel_luv
10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
But could you deal with eating in Hell's kitchen!?!?

:lol

mrsmaalox
10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I can't even click on SWA specials page cuz it crashes my computer! Some serious booking going on :)

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 12:22 PM
RT to Vegas for 2 nights at MGM total price $602.80

1 night at Watermark + Dinner at Biga's = $620.00

Thanks Club!

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I am not sure how to get those special rates, as when i looked everything was about 100 bucks...which isnt too far off from their normal prices.

I guess maybe those are rates to like Houston or Dallas or something.

The Club
10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
RT to Vegas for 2 nights at MGM total price $602.80

1 night at Watermark + Dinner at Biga's = $620.00

Thanks Club!

That's what we are here for!!

Soul_Patch
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Ahh i see...you have to travel dec 2 through 16...for the Southwest deals.

DoubtingThomas
10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
There are so many options it will make your head spin but don't doubt yourself and you will do fine.