PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen Joins ESPN as Analyst

ashbeeigh
10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't know if this has been rumored, posted, talked about, etc...I'm going to have to start reading the Spurs forum now that the season has started....so feel free to merge/close/whatever it.

Bruce Bowen joins ESPN as analyst

By
Jeanne Jakle
on Oct 28, 09 01:58 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Bruce Bowen has signed on as an analyst for TV sports network ESPN.

The former Spur, who helped the team win three NBA championships, said he'll be doing in-studio analysis of basketball, starting in two weeks. "I'm excited about the chance to do something new and interesting in the sports field," Bowen said.

He said the network and he agreed to terms on Monday, adding he'll be traveling quite a bit to ESPN's home base of Bristol, Conn.

As for the exact days and times of his appearances, Bowen laughed that it's way different from playing basketball, when you know your schedule way in advance.

"I know I'll be on so many days — a lot of days — but not sure when yet," he said.

Personable and outgoing, Bowen has been a lively presence on "The Ticket" 760 AM in recent months, where he's guest-hosted with morning duo Peter Burns and Andy Everett.

He said he was fortunate to get that experience and learned it takes quite a few different skills to be a host and an interviewer than to be the one who's interviewed.

]http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/jakle06/2009/10/bruce-bowen-joins-espn-as-anal.html

duncan228
10-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Good for Bruce. I bet he'll be great.

xtremesteven33
10-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I wonder if Bowen is gonna stick with the Bowtie??

SKINNYPIMP210
10-28-2009, 03:30 PM
That's awesome! This is the first I've heard of it.

silverblackfan
10-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Great news for Bruce! I bet he is not liking the travel, but he should be quite an upgrade over some of the other analysts.

lennyalderette
10-28-2009, 03:32 PM
i really hope bowen can be used in the spurs org. somehow.

Trainwreck2100
Good for Bruce. I bet he'll be great.

you got scooped?..................................by ashbeeigh?

Dex
:tu That's frickin' awesome. I've always really respected Bruce after he finished his degree in public relations even while playing ball. And now he's taking that on to hopefully do good things, and it will be great to see him still around the game.

Will be interesting to see if he comes out with homer glasses, or if he'll have a chip on his shoulder when talking about the Spurs. Personally, I believe that Bruce wasn't greatly dissatisfied with his exit from San Antonio, but we're going to get some face time to find out.

Trainwreck2100
10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
also i can't wait or his "you don't need to be good just focus on one thing and be great at that" line

eyeh8u
10-28-2009, 03:34 PM
espn will hire any expro, their nfl analyst team has more depth than the Oakland raiders

espn is a great place to get a job in this tough economy
you only have two requirements,
1. be a retired player/coach/GM
2. Dont cheat on your wife with an ugly 22 year old staffer

wildbill2u
10-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I think he's been quoted in the past as saying this was his goal. His major in college was communications and he's so easy with being on camera he should be a natural,

Spursmania
10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Awesome Bruce!

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2009, 03:36 PM
ugh, why ESPN?..Bowen has too much personality and knowledge of the game to be on ESPN..

eyeh8u
10-28-2009, 03:36 PM
ugh, why ESPN?..Bowen has too much personality and knowledge of the game to be on ESPN..

they are the WWL

tp2021
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Great! Now when the Spurs are on ESPN instead of TNT, it won't be so bad.

I miss Bruce.

spurtilldeath
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Fantastic...let Bruce bring sanity into ESPN

Dex
10-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I wonder if he'll be on at all tonight, then?

starting in two weeks.

Learn to read, me.

in2deep
10-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Bruce and Barry on tv! nice

Agloco
10-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Brent Barry and Bruce Bowen together :lmao

Spursmania
10-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Great! Now when the Spurs are on ESPN instead of TNT, it won't be so bad.

I miss Bruce.

Yeah, the LA ass kissing will definitely be toned down.:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I think they brought him in for his defensive expertise. Rather than looking for him to talk a lot they just need him to cover Mark Jackson's or Reggie Miller's mouth whenever they start to talk.

TIMMYD!
10-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Great news.

MaNu4Tres
10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Great news.

Indeed.

The Rash is back.

Interrohater
they are the WWL
Fail.

We all know Dejuan Blair is the worldwide leader in sports.

Crookshanks
Good for Bruce! I'm really going to miss him as a Spur, and I hope that down the road he can be a part of the Spurs organization. I still think it would be a hoot to have him and Sean as the Spurs tv commentators.

Crookshanks
10-28-2009, 03:53 PM
I think they brought him in for his defensive expertise. Rather than looking for him to talk a lot they just need him to cover Mark Jackson's or Reggie Miller's mouth whenever they start to talk.
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! :lmao

spurs_2108
10-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Quick to judgment? I don't think he will be calling games. "He'll be doing in-studio analysis of basketball, starting in two weeks." So I don't think he is going to call games as of now.

EricB
Too bad, I was hoping he'd stick around SA.

Good luck to him though. Hilarious though how ESPN used to paint him with this horrible picture about how dirty he was, but yet they hire him.

Interrohater
:lol nice

NRHector
10-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Finally a homer in ESPN:flag:

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Miller's on TNT, my bad, it was Magic who jumped ship.

completely deck
10-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Innnnnnnteresting. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a few weeks.

angelbelow
10-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I look forward to hearing from him. It'll be nice to watch ESPN and not listen to donkeys as analysts.

SenorSpur
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Congrats to Bruce! No doubt in my mind that he'll be great at this. Because there is a constant influx of ex-athletes into that profession every years, I just hope ESPN doesn't tire of him and brand him "too much of a Spurs homer" the way they did Sean Elliott.

EricB
10-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Congrats to Bruce! No doubt in my mind that he'll be great at this. Because there is a constant influx of ex-athletes into that profession every years, I just hope ESPN doesn't tire of him and brand him "too much of a Spurs homer" the way they did Sean Elliott.

Actually Elliott quit to be with his family more.

I don't believe they fired him.

DDS4
10-28-2009, 04:40 PM
espn will hire any expro, their nfl analyst team has more depth than the Oakland raiders

espn is a great place to get a job in this tough economy
you only have two requirements,
1. be a retired player/coach/GM
2. Dont cheat on your wife with an ugly 22 year old staffer

I've heard that ESPN knew about Steve Phillips and his cheating ways. They hired him anyway. It wasn't his first go-around cheating on his wife.

Spurs Brazil
10-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Great news
Good Luck Bruce

lennyalderette
10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
yeah maybe he and reggie will get into some intense arguments, did you guys hear reggie saying "l.a is going 20 and 1 " and kobe's "the best player to ever play the game" i think he has alot of animosity towards mj for obvious reasons. but how childish to show it on national t.v

EricB
10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
yeah maybe he and reggie will get into some intense arguments, did you guys hear reggie saying "l.a is going 20 and 1 " and kobe's "the best player to ever play the game" i think he has alot of animosity towards mj for obvious reasons. but how childish to show it on national t.v

Kinda hard for Miller and Bowen to do that when Miller works for TNT and Bowen now for ESPN.

baseline bum
10-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Nice. The Spurs will have some strong representation with AJ and Bruce.

FkLA
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM

yea reggie works for tnt, but still his comments are ridiculous...i want to slap the fuck out of him everytime he says they will start off 20-1 and break the bulls record. guess one laker dicksucker wasnt enough in tnt (kenny) and tnt designated reggie for that role. cause honestly i doubt he likes the lakers or kobe much, his pacers got beat in the finals in 00' by them and he got in a fight with kobe that one time:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1320249428213858998#

crc21209
10-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Well maybe Bruce can bring some REAL basketball knowledge to the people over at ESPN now...

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Dammit, I wanted to see him and Sean together

duncan228
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Jeanne Jakle: Fans are excited for Bowen (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/columnists/jeanne_jakle/Jeanne_Jakle_Fans_are_excited_for_Bowen.html)
Jeanne Jakle

Bruce Bowen is clearly loved — not just as a former Spur but as a future TV broadcaster.

Fans have filled my e-mail box, blog and Twitter page with ecstatic reaction to his upcoming ESPN gig. As I reported in Jakle’s Jacuzzi last week, Bowen said he’s been hired as an in-studio NBA analyst for the cable network and is excited about the opportunity.

He had mentioned the job should begin soon, although Bowen, when I phoned Monday, said he’s still not up on specifics. He has yet to return a signed contract to ESPN, though he indicated there should be no problem doing so.

Meantime, a sampling of readers’ good wishes: “Lucky ESPN,” wrote Marian Haddad. “You have been my favorite player and I was very upset when you were traded,” Linda Sue Cantu wrote. “Good luck and make us proud.” And from another fan: “You will do fabulous and become as beloved in that quarter as you were in San Antonio.”

NFGIII
11-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Cool! This is going to be interesting how he handles the other "experts" at ESPN. He should bring some sense of sanity to that org.

Now I wonder if they are going to try to get him to admit that he played dirty? Using video, quotes fromother players and all that. Probably not since it would just start a psiing match which they don't need.

Also wonder if Brent and Bruce will be on the same show or not.

duncan228
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Also wonder if Brent and Bruce will be on the same show or not.

Barry is with NBA TV, not ESPN.

NFGIII
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Barry is with NBA TV, not ESPN.

Sorry, thanks for the correction - my bad - I remember someone saying he was hired as a BB analyst. I just forget where.

Still it would have been fun to see both together if only to see what happens.

lennyalderette
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Finally a homer in ESPN:flag:
i remember eric snow calling brent barry that

duncan228
11-04-2009, 01:43 PM
...it would have been fun to see both together if only to see what happens.

:lol It would be a blast to see them together.

angel_luv
11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Congrats Bruce! :)

Agloco
11-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Don't know if this has been rumored, posted, talked about, etc...I'm going to have to start reading the Spurs forum now that the season has started....so feel free to merge/close/whatever it.

]http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/jakle06/2009/10/bruce-bowen-joins-espn-as-anal.html

Sigh..... at least use a more respectful url......

LOL@MavsFan
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
i really hope bowen can be used in the spurs org. somehow.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/avatars/avaginobili2.bmp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17200) hahahaha...damn what did he just take a hit of?

The Truth #6
11-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I hope they don't force Bruce to act ridiculous like Jalen Rose and Stuart Scott. Those guys are embarassing on that show. It's like the lame ESPN producers are desperately trying to make the show "wacky" like TNT, except of course that the chemistry on TNT is actually real and unscripted.

I'm not sold on Bruce as a TV guy but I wish him good luck in his new career. He can't be worse than those other dudes.

PeterBurns
11-04-2009, 10:45 PM
He'll be doing 50 games this year, normally traveling once or twice a week, and doing 2 days in a row. Was in the running for TNT gig, but it went to McHale.

Seems to be really pumped about it. Great for Spurs fans, looking forward to it.

SouthTexasRancher
11-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Good for Bruce. I kept hoping Pop was going to sign him up as an assistant coach to help the young guys on the finer points of staying glued to your opponent and a hand in their face.

Here's to ya, Bruce...:toast