PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Bulls Previews

duncan228
10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I know it's early to start this one, but there's stuff coming out of Chicago. I'll get the rest in as they come out.

Rose to start Thursday's season opener (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=4602792)
By Nick Friedell
ESPNChicago.com

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Derrick Rose will be in the starting lineup when the Bulls season begins on Thursday night.

A day after acknowledging that Rose would be healthy enough to play, Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro left no doubt when asked if his star point guard would be in the lineup for the regular season opener against the San Antonio Spurs.

After missing three weeks because of an ankle tendon injury, Rose is ready to go.

"I don't think anybody thought the injury would take as long [to heal] as it did, but it was kind of a different injury I guess you could say," Del Negro said after practice. "He feels better, and he's been practicing, so that's a good sign. He's still a little rusty. I thought he practiced pretty well (Tuesday), which was a good sign for us."

Rose is just happy to be back on the floor and feels as if his ankle is getting better everyday.

"I'm feeling good," Rose said. "My ankle is warming up. I'm feeling a lot better out there. Now I'm just ready to play.

Exactly how much he will play is still in question. Rose admitted that he still feels about 80 percent and may not be back feeling like himself until the end of the first month of play.

"I'm still not explosive like [I was]," Rose said. "It's coming along, but it will take a while."

Del Negro realizes Rose still isn't at full-strength and will monitor the point guard "minute by minute," and will see "how the flow of the game goes," when it comes to doling out minutes.

Either way, both men are just happy that the reigning rookie of the year is back in the lineup.

"I can't wait," Rose said. "I've been waiting to play for a long time, now I get the chance. I'm excited."

AussieFanKurt
10-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks still 228.
It is only tomorrow afterall

Spursmania
10-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks! All Spur info is always appreciated.

crc21209
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Damn it's their season opener and our 2nd game on a back to back? WOW.

jdev82
10-28-2009, 06:40 PM
ILL BE THERE! who else is going?

duncan228
10-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Thursday: Spurs (1-0) at Bulls (0-0) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Thursday_Spurs_1-0_at_Bulls_0-0.html)
Time: 7 p.m.
TV: TNT
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS: SPURS -- BULLS

PG 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) -- 12 Kirk Hinrich (6-3, 7th yr)
Parker OK after opening-night spill; Rose could start if health permits.

SG 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 15th yr) -- 15 John Salmons (6-6, 8th yr)
Salmons expected to pick up slack for Ben Gordon, who left as free agent.

SF 24, Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) -- 9 Luol Deng (6-9, 6th yr)
In his first game as a Spur, Jefferson made the first shot of the season.

PF 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) -- 24 Tyrus Thomas (6-10, 4th yr)
Duncan could use more nights like this: sat the final 15 minutes vs. N.O.

C 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 6th yr) -- 13 Joakim Noah (6-11, 3rd yr)
Noah ranked 15th in the NBA in shot blocking last season.

SPURS RESERVES

8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
24 A. McDyess, C/F, 6-10, 15th yr
45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
10 Keith Bogans, G/F, 6-5, 7th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, F/C, 6-10, 15th yr

BULLS RESERVES

7 Derrick Byars, G/F, 6-7, 1st yr
22 Taj Gibson, F, 6-9, 1st yr
11 Lindsey Hunter, F, 6-9, 5th yr
52 Brad Miller, F/C, 7-0, 12th yr
2 Jannero Pargo, G, 6-1, 2nd yr
1 Derrick Rose, G, 6-3, 2nd yr
16 James Johnson, F, 6-9, 1st yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Bulls: Vinny Del Negro

INJURIES

Spurs: None.
Bulls: Aaron Gray (stress fracture, left fibula) and Jerome James (right Achilles) are out. Byars (left knee) is probable. Rose (right ankle), Hinrich (left elbow) and Pargo (lower back) are questionable.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Malik Hairston, Marcus Haislip
Bulls: Gray, James

NOTABLE

After whipping New Orleans in the opener, Spurs look for their first 2-0 start since 2005-06 by sweeping their first back-to-back of the season. ... Young Bulls looking to replace last year’s leading scorer, Ben Gordon, and might be able to do it with Salmons. ... Rose has been limited in the preseason with bum ankle, but expect him to give it all he can in the season opener for his hometown Bulls.

— Jeff McDonald

afireinside20
10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Thursday: Spurs (1-0) at Bulls (0-0) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Thursday_Spurs_1-0_at_Bulls_0-0.html)
Time: 7 p.m.
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS: SPURS -- BULLS

PG 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) -- 12 Kirk Hinrich (6-3, 7th yr)
Parker OK after opening-night spill; Rose could start if health permits.

SG 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 15th yr) -- 15 John Salmons (6-6, 8th yr)
Salmons expected to pick up slack for Ben Gordon, who left as free agent.

SF 24, Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) -- 9 Luol Deng (6-9, 6th yr)
In his first game as a Spur, Jefferson made the first shot of the season.

PF 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) -- 24 Tyrus Thomas (6-10, 4th yr)
Duncan could use more nights like this: sat the final 15 minutes vs. N.O.

C 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 6th yr) -- 13 Joakim Noah (6-11, 3rd yr)
Noah ranked 15th in the NBA in shot blocking last season.

SPURS RESERVES

8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
24 A. McDyess, C/F, 6-10, 15th yr
45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
10 Keith Bogans, G/F, 6-5, 7th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, F/C, 6-10, 15th yr

BULLS RESERVES

7 Derrick Byars, G/F, 6-7, 1st yr
22 Taj Gibson, F, 6-9, 1st yr
11 Lindsey Hunter, F, 6-9, 5th yr
52 Brad Miller, F/C, 7-0, 12th yr
2 Jannero Pargo, G, 6-1, 2nd yr
1 Derrick Rose, G, 6-3, 2nd yr
16 James Johnson, F, 6-9, 1st yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Bulls: Vinny Del Negro

INJURIES

Spurs: None.
Bulls: Aaron Gray (stress fracture, left fibula) and Jerome James (right Achilles) are out. Byars (left knee) is probable. Rose (right ankle), Hinrich (left elbow) and Pargo (lower back) are questionable.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Malik Hairston, Marcus Haislip
Bulls: Gray, James

NOTABLE

After whipping New Orleans in the opener, Spurs look for their first 2-0 start since 2005-06 by sweeping their first back-to-back of the season. ... Young Bulls looking to replace last year’s leading scorer, Ben Gordon, and might be able to do it with Salmons. ... Rose has been limited in the preseason with bum ankle, but expect him to give it all he can in the season opener for his hometown Bulls.

— Jeff McDonald

Dang wtf hahaha Jerome James is still in the league!! The same Jerome James that talked smack about the Spurs when he was with the Sonics in the playoffs, and lit a fire in the Spurs to bury Seattle?

Technique
10-29-2009, 12:01 AM
On TNT, can't wait.

duncan228
10-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Preview: Spurs at Bulls Slideshow.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/Spurs-Bulls_.html

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2009, 12:10 AM
GHill will shut down rose, trust me....

spurs in another 20pt win

duncan228
10-29-2009, 01:10 AM
San Antonio (1-0) at Chicago (0-0) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009102904&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:00 pm EDT Thu Oct 29, 2009
By Matt Becker

How the Chicago Bulls fare this season depends largely on the play of reigning Rookie of the Year Derrick Rose.

Suiting up for the opener will be a good start.

After missing most of the preseason due to an inflamed tendon behind his right ankle, Rose is expected to play for the Bulls in Thursday’s season opener at the United Center against the San Antonio Spurs, who should have starting point guard Tony Parker back in the lineup after he left their first game early.

Following a 49-loss 2007-08, Chicago won the draft lottery despite long odds and selected Rose with the first pick of the 2008 draft.

The hometown star took over the reins at point guard and did a solid job of directing the offense. He led all rookies with 6.3 assists per game and finished second among first-year players with a 16.8 scoring average while leading the Bulls to a 41-41 record and a playoff berth.

Chicago was eliminated in the first round by Boston, but the Bulls didn’t go quietly, losing an epic seven-game series featuring a league-record four overtime contests. Rose made an immediate impact, matching Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s NBA record with 36 points in his playoff debut.

As Rose went in the playoffs, so went the Bulls. He averaged 29.0 points on 55.7 percent shooting and 9.0 assists in the three wins, but 12.8 points on 42.4 percent shooting and 4.5 assists in the four losses.

For the Bulls to be successful this season, they need Rose to be more consistent. They also need him to be healthy.

Rose played in just the preseason opener before missing the final seven exhibition games with the nagging ankle injury. He is expected to play in the opener, but his minutes will likely be limited.

“We just need to hurry up and jell quick because we can make it far in the season,” he said.

Rose struggled a bit against San Antonio as a rookie, averaging 11.0 points with the Bulls losing both games. Chicago has dropped four straight to the Spurs and 18 of the last 21 meetings.

The core of the Bulls remains much the same as last season with Joakim Noah, Tyrus Thomas, John Salmons and Luol Deng all returning, but they’ll need someone to take the place of top scorer Ben Gordon, who signed as a free agent with Detroit in the offseason.

Salmons and Deng appear to be the top candidates.

Salmons, acquired with Brad Miller from Sacramento in February, started 21 games for the Bulls, averaging 18.3 points. He averaged 26.5 on 65.4 percent shooting in two games against the Spurs - both while still with the Kings.

Deng averaged 17.0 points and 6.3 rebounds for Chicago in 2007-08, but missed the final 22 games last season plus the playoffs with a stress fracture in his right tibia and finished with his lowest scoring average (14.1) since his 2004-05 rookie season.

“I want to win,” a healthy Deng said. “I want to be out there. I want to compete. Whatever comes individually, I think that will take care of itself, but I think the main thing and the main mindset is just competing and playing like we did in the playoffs. I think the team that we have, the chemistry is going to be great.”

The Spurs arrive in Chicago following a season-opening 113-96 win over New Orleans on Wednesday.

Parker landed with a thud on his right side after slicing between two Hornets players for a layup late in the third quarter. The AT&T Center crowd gasped as the three-time All-Star lay scrunched up and wincing for more than a minute before walking back to the bench on his own.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Parker, who finished with team highs of 17 points and six assists in 26 minutes, simply had the wind knocked out of him.

Parker left the locker room without speaking to reporters but appeared fine.

While veteran Richard Jefferson had a disappointing San Antonio debut, scoring five points and shooting 1 of 7, rookie DeJuan Blair looked stellar in his first game, finishing with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

“He’s showing really good maturity so far,” Popovich said of the All-American from Pittsburgh. “You just have to give him credit. He’s got a great way about him and let the game come to him.”

Danny.Zhu
10-29-2009, 02:07 AM
GHill will shut down rose, trust me....

spurs in another 20pt win

Hope so. And I am eager to see how Blair match up with TT if that happens.

Spurs Brazil
10-29-2009, 08:18 AM
11 lindsey hunter, [b]f, 6-9, 5th yr
— jeff mcdonald

wtf?????

Warlord23
10-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Damn ... our bench is like 10X talented than their bench

TFloss32
10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
While veteran Richard Jefferson had a disappointing San Antonio debut, scoring five points and shooting 1 of 7.

I doubt the author of this article watched last night's game. Jefferson helped the Spurs tremendously last night, IMO, on his drive-and-dish ability alone.

Chomag
10-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Damn ... our bench is like 10X talented than their bench

Pretty close to even their starters talent level if you ask me.

rjv
10-29-2009, 10:37 AM
this will be a good test for the spurs newfound "athleticism"

benefactor
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
On paper, this game shouldn't be too much different from last nights game. Our depth will simply overwhelm them.

SamoanTD
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
james johnson dat rookie on the bulls is the first samoan kid in the nba hes half damn so proud bt im sry the spurs gna give the bulls the buisness tonight on national television oweeeeeee lol

shelshor
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Referee Assignments
Thurs. Oct. 29
San Antonio @ Chicago: Scott Foster; Leon Wood; Sean Wright

duncan228
10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Spurs, Bulls clash in Windy City (http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=188529)

The Chicago Bulls finally kick off their 2009-10 season Thursday night when they welcome the San Antonio Spurs to the Second City.

The Derrick Rose-era got off to a rather productive start in the Windy City last year when the NBA's reigning Rookie of the Year helped will the Bulls to the playoffs before the team succumbed to Boston in one of the more exciting playoff series in NBA history.

Rose didn't look the least bit intimidated on the big stage and the future is virtually unlimited for the former University of Memphis star, who missed most of the preseason with an inflamed tendon behind his right ankle but is expected to take the hardwood tonight.

Rose did lose one of his running mates in the offseason when the sharp- shooting Ben Gordon fled for Detroit. But, the Bulls and coach Vinny Del Negro still have plenty of talented options to place alongside their star.

A midseason trade last year that landed veterans Brad Miller and John Salmons from Sacramento helped the Bulls immensely, and should pay even bigger dividends this season after a full training camp playing together. However, Gordon was the team's best crunch-time scorer and their leading scorer for the past four seasons.

Expectations remain high as Rose continues to grow with the team's other young talent like big men Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas. Meanwhile, the club welcomes back a healthy Luol Deng in an effort to improve on the boards and at the defensive end.

The Spurs got their season started on a positive note in the Alamo City on Wednesday when Tony Parker led a balanced attack with 17 points and dished out six assists before taking a hard fall in the third quarter, as the Spurs downed the New Orleans Hornets, 113-96.

Parker fell hard to the floor after making a layup late in the third quarter, but later came back to the team's bench and is expected to be in the lineup tonight.

Manu Ginobili, who missed 38 games last season and the entire playoffs because of ankle problems, added 16 points off the bench for the Spurs. Rookie DeJuan Blair, a second-round draft pick, tallied 14 points and 11 rebounds, while Tim Duncan contributed nine points and 12 boards for San Antonio, which has made the playoffs 12 years in a row, but was ousted by the Dallas Mavericks in five games in the first round last season.

Veteran forward Richard Jefferson had a disappointing San Antonio debut, however, scoring just five points on a dismal 1-of-7 shooting night.

"Our defense in the first half was good, very good. Our defense in the second half was very poor," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after the win. "I was disappointed in our defense the second half, the amount of points we gave up and the shots they made. We really lost our focus defensively. Fortunately we kept scoring."

San Antonio swept the home-and-home season series with the Bulls last year and has won four straight against Chicago overall.

KenziE
10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
anybody know where i can watch the game online? ill be working, no TV ... any HELP is greatly appreciated thanks for your time ....

duncan228
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Full speed ahead for opener (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bulls/2009/10/full_speed_ahead_for_opener.html)
By John Jackson

It's official: The Bulls' starters for tonight's season-opener against the San Antonio Spurs are Derrick Rose and John Salmons at guard, Luol Deng and Tyrus Thomas at forward and Joakim Noah at center.

Rose's minutes will be monitored because he is still working his way back from an ankle injury, but when asked if the point guard will be limited to 20 to 25 minutes, coach Vinny Del Negro said following this morning's shootaround, "Hopefully, more."

Because of Rose's injury, the Bulls had to scramble this week to get prepared.

"You always wish you had a little more time, but I think the guys are ready to go," Del Negro. "They're sick of beating up each other in practice. We've had a few good days of practice, which is good, and with the schedule we have to be ready to roll. We have a tough opening stretch and we have to be ready."

duncan228
10-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Bulls ready to open season; Del Negro hopes Rose tops 25 minutes (http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog/_/post/4605888/name/friedell)
By: Nick Friedell

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Vinny Del Negro and his Chicago Bulls are ready to get this season underway with Thursday night's opener against the San Antonio Spurs.

"Ready to go," Del Negro declared after the Thursday morning shootaround. "I think the guys are excited to get it going. It's been a long preseason, and the last few days we've been beating each other up. I think the guys are ready to get going."

Luol Deng echoed his coach's sentiments. "I think we're ready," Deng said. "It's good that we're finally starting. I think everybody's excited."

The Bulls forward hopes that the team can play under control in the opener.

"It's the first game, so you know energy's gonna be there, but I think [we must remember] focus," Deng said. "I'm not talking about just the first three quarters, I'm talking about focus throughout the whole game. I know it's early in the season, but we look at [the Spurs] as one of the best teams in the NBA. Out of the gate, it's a good test for us."

The starting five: Del Negro announced that his starting five would be: Derrick Rose, John Salmons, Luol Deng, Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah.

Rose's minutes: Del Negro admitted that Rose's minutes would be limited, but he was hopeful that he would play over 25.

"We'll see how Derrick feels out there," the Bulls coach said. "We've got back-to-back games. We want to start off on a good note, so we'll see how he feels and get our rotations down. It will be the first time in a long time we'll have our whole team together."

Rookies' big night: Rookies James Johnson and Taj Gibson will be playing in their first NBA regular season game, but neither man seems particularly nervous. "It's not nerves, it's more anxious [feelings]," Johnson told me on Wednesday. "I feel like if I get put in and my number's called ... I'm ready. If not, then I'm going to keep helping the team out in practice."

Gibson, who figures to be one of the first guys off the bench, is confident that he will be able to do the job. "Just go out there and play hard and work my minutes."

Johnson's uncle will be in attendance to watch his nephew's first regular-season game. The Wake Forest alum said that his family isn't giving him any tips as to what he should be doing out on the floor.

"They just want to come watch me play," he said. "They haven't really talked to me about how to play or what to do. They were never in this predicament so they really just let me [form] my own opinions, just as long as I don't do the bad things off the court. They don't care what I do on the court."

Coaching vs. playing: Del Negro admitted on Wednesday that the way he feels as a coach and the way he feels as a player are a little different, especially as opening night creeps closer.

"Playing, I think, was little bit easier because you could do something about it," the second-year coach said. "Coaching, you're relying on your players to go out there and execute, which is fine, but it's just a different feeling.

"As a player, you know exactly what your role is, how you're gonna be effective when you study pregame stuff. As a coach, sometimes you're making adjustments on the fly a little bit more, depending on foul trouble and injuries, and things of that nature. It's just a different feeling."

ElNono
10-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the previews duncan228
I appreciate you take the time! :toast

callo1
10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Probably see some tired legs tonight, even though the starters didn't log many minutes, it was real much higher pace than anything in the pre-season.