PDA

View Full Version : USC @ Oregon

johngateswhiteley
10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
...biggest game of the year. only game in last 5 years i'm not all that confident about. just to be honest...i don't think any team in the top 10, but USC, could go into Autzen this weekend and win. It is going to be brutal...and we may easily lose.

USC 34
UO 33

vander
10-28-2009, 05:22 PM
couldn't you just have one "USC Game" thread and recycle it?

this board averages like 7 posts per thread. :nope

edit: Oh and Oregon FTW, USC struggles with running QBs and small RBs, both of which Oregon has, plus it's at Autzen, and Oregon has a better Gameday-Strategy coach IMO

johngateswhiteley
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM

edit: Oh and Oregon FTW, USC struggles with running QBs and small RBs, both of which Oregon has, plus it's at Autzen, and Oregon has a better Gameday-Strategy coach IMO

no...i can't.

...anyway, i totally understand why many will take oregon in this game...and i won't be surprised at all if my boys lose.

The Gemini Method
10-28-2009, 05:33 PM
It all depends on what Matt Barkley shows up. The Ducks have a CB corps that has been hit by graduation/NFL and injuries. If Matt is given enough time to read down his progressions, then Oregon--with its undersized frontline--will be in for a long day. If he is under duress for the whole game + the fanatic nature of Autzen stadium, we'll lose it. However, I disagree with you that Chip Kelly is at this point in his career, a better gameday stratagist than Pete Carroll. This is a big game and for a good portion of 9 years, there has been few who can take a gameplay before a big game and dominate it like PC has. Also, he is very capable of making halftime adjustments if need be. Though, the last two 2nd half performances haven't been all that great, Pete can still make halftime adjustments that can turn a game around in a flash. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess. But i'm going with the team I have always backed--USC wins with a rebirth of the defense and Barkley does enough through the air to pull out a huge PAC-10 victory.

johngateswhiteley
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
It all depends on what Matt Barkley shows up. The Ducks have a CB corps that has been hit by graduation/NFL and injuries. If Matt is given enough time to read down his progressions, then Oregon--with its undersized frontline--will be in for a long day. If he is under duress for the whole game + the fanatic nature of Autzen stadium, we'll lose it. However, I disagree with you that Chip Kelly is at this point in his career, a better gameday stratagist than Pete Carroll. This is a big game and for a good portion of 9 years, there has been few who can take a gameplay before a big game and dominate it like PC has. Also, he is very capable of making halftime adjustments if need be. Though, the last two 2nd half performances haven't been all that great, Pete can still make halftime adjustments that can turn a game around in a flash. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess. But i'm going with the team I have always backed--USC wins with a rebirth of the defense and Barkley does enough through the air to pull out a huge PAC-10 victory.

completely agree. Autzen worries me...

stretch
10-28-2009, 05:51 PM
oregon by 13+

vander
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
However, I disagree with you that Chip Kelly is at this point in his career, a better gameday stratagist than Pete Carroll. This is a big game and for a good portion of 9 years, there has been few who can take a gameplay before a big game and dominate it like PC has. Also, he is very capable of making halftime adjustments if need be. Though, the last two 2nd half performances haven't been all that great, Pete can still make halftime adjustments that can turn a game around in a flash.

as for the better second halves, I'd say having superior talent and depth at almost every position can help with that. strategy can go so far in college football, but if you don't completely frazzle them (like BSU did to Oregon this year), eventually the bigger and faster team will start to run over and around the lesser team.

I've never been impressed with PC's playcalling and strategy, it's not bad, it's just pretty generic, because it doesn't have to be anything more than that to win games.

johngateswhiteley
10-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I've never been impressed with PC's playcalling and strategy, it's not bad, it's just pretty generic, because it doesn't have to be anything more than that to win games.

he calls the defense...and it has been incredible since he's been at USC, especially second halves. he's not immune to the occasional slip up, of course. the offense has seen its share of great play callers...this year has been hamstrung by breaking in a freshman QB.

Girasuck
10-28-2009, 06:18 PM
I picked Oregon to win the Pac-10 at the beginning of the season because their toughest games would be at home. I don't see Oregon losing another game this year.

USC 33
Oregon 41

The Gemini Method
10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
SEC Champ by 13+ over Texas

This.

as for the better second halves, I'd say having superior talent and depth at almost every position can help with that. strategy can go so far in college football, but if you don't completely frazzle them (like BSU did to Oregon this year), eventually the bigger and faster team will start to run over and around the lesser team.

Here's the thing...as you know, having superior talent and depth doesn't always equate to success. You can look at any sport and see teams that are inherently full of talent, yet, they fail to succeed consistently. That is where the coaching has got to account for something. I respect your opinion of PC, but he is mostly dealing with the defense and rarely makes overriding calls on the offense. That has been up to Norm Chow, Lane Kiffin/Steve Sarkisian, Jeremy Bates/John Morton. I don't think you would have the highest winning percentage in the PAC-10 if it were solely based on talent alone.

dirk4mvp
10-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Oregon by at least 10 no matter what uniform they wear.

stretch
10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
This.

:lmao

still bitter over 41-38 i see

vander
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
:lmao

still bitter over 41-38 i see

boy that never get's old

move on Texas fans, it's 2009, and yet every other post when it comes to USC is 41-38, you're like parrots.

tlongII
10-28-2009, 10:26 PM
The Ducks will win by at least 20.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Go ducks.
If USC pulls this off with a freshman quarterback, it will be very impressive.

If it werent for their loss to a team that has trouble with Sacramento Community College, they were on course for a UT 2006esque season. But even that miracle freshman QB season ran into a buzzsaw.

I'll take the ducks. Hopefully anyways.

J.T.
10-28-2009, 11:21 PM
lol usc

johngateswhiteley
10-29-2009, 12:23 AM

impossible.

also, i remember you saying it was either oregon state or cal that were going to win the Pac-10...oregon had no chance.

johngateswhiteley
10-29-2009, 12:24 AM
boy that never get's old

move on Texas fans, it's 2009, and yet every other post when it comes to USC is 41-38, you're like parrots.

their insecure. they know USC was the better team and poor play from the Trojans got them the title.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2009, 12:26 AM
yeah those ting brothers just had an off night.

J.T.
10-29-2009, 01:40 AM
their insecure. they know USC was the better team and poor play from the Trojans got them the title.

double heisman curse got their ass and you know it

johngateswhiteley
10-29-2009, 03:05 AM
yeah those ting brothers just had an off night.

they did...i agree. but they were only playing cause of injuries.

stretch
10-29-2009, 01:19 PM
boy that never get's old

um, actually it was the other way around, idiot. the moron attacked texas because my prediction wasnt sucking USCs nuts. the teams pretty much never play each other, so why else would he change the subject into something negative about UT? bitterness.

TFloss32
10-29-2009, 02:00 PM
This.

Definitely not. Florida and Alabama already have trouble scoring (especially in the red zone) and neither team has faced a defense like Texas.

Texas may lose, but not by 13+. Let's allow these teams to get to the title first.

TFloss32
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Texas fans are insecure because they won the 2005 Rose Bowl? I don't understand your logic. You sound like the bitter one considering USC has already squandered their chances at a title for the year by laying an egg in Washington (and they're probably going to lose in Eugene). It doesn't matter if they weren't the better team. Both teams had an equal chance and Texas took it. Move on...

Trojans played pretty well in that game, IMO. It's not often that you put up 38 points and lose. Texas had their fair share of mistakes as well (not anything as horrible as that Reggie Bush lateral though :lol).

tlongII
10-29-2009, 02:22 PM
impossible.

also, i remember you saying it was either oregon state or cal that were going to win the Pac-10...oregon had no chance.

Oh it's easily possible. In fact it's likely. Barkley hasn't been to a place like Autzen before.

Dr Cox
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
usc 42
ducks 28

J.T.
10-29-2009, 03:52 PM
double heisman curse got their ass and you know it

vander
10-29-2009, 04:40 PM
um, actually it was the other way around, idiot. the moron attacked texas because my prediction wasnt sucking USCs nuts. the teams pretty much never play each other, so why else would he change the subject into something negative about UT? bitterness.

Oh I see, you were baited into it, yeah I can see how saying an SEC team would beat Texas is an obvious reverence to the 2005 Rose Bowl. :lol

you totally missed the point, It's not about you trashing USC or someone ripping Texas, It's about how every time this happens, you Texas guys resort to 41-38, it's your every retort, it's sad.

johngateswhiteley
10-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh it's easily possible. In fact it's likely. Barkley hasn't been to a place like Autzen before.

ok tlong.

stretch
10-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh I see, you were baited into it, yeah I can see how saying an SEC team would beat Texas is an obvious reverence to the 2005 Rose Bowl. :lol

you totally missed the point, It's not about you trashing USC or someone ripping Texas, It's about how every time this happens, you Texas guys resort to 41-38, it's your every retort, it's sad.

lol boise st

Trainwreck2100
10-30-2009, 02:45 AM
i wonder will oregon change unis in between quarters

leemajors
10-30-2009, 02:41 PM

no way, jgw is consistently entertaining.

tlongII
11-01-2009, 10:33 AM

leemajors
11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
nice call tlong

johngateswhiteley
11-01-2009, 12:33 PM
well that was interesting....worst loss in Carroll's history. sad really...

imo, from what i can tell, t.u. and oregon are the two best teams right now. unfortunately, i doubt they'll play each other.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-01-2009, 05:30 PM
wow tlong actually called something right!

Ignignokt
11-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Boise St beat Oregon.. just saying.

The Reckoning
11-01-2009, 05:42 PM
im pretty sure everyone saw this coming

tlongII
11-01-2009, 06:10 PM
wow tlong actually called something right!

Take a look at your SpursTalk cash. Then take a look at mine. :smokin