PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner and Dejuan Blair: A Study in Contrast

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
First off, I am extremely surprised how much PT both players got. Matt Bonner lead the team in minutes with 28 minutes. And he's going to get away with it for a long time because of how deep the bench is. Unbelievable.

What's equally as surprising is how much PT Pop gave Dejuan Blair. I don't think Pop has had this much outright confidence in a rookie since Tim Duncan. He had an amazing opener, it's so refreshing to see the Spurs go back to the principle that won us championships: REBOUNDS.

That being said, it still frustrates the hell out of me that Pop is playing Bonner in the post for as long as he does. I don't think this is going to work against the Magic/Lakers/Cavs/Celtics, ESP. against the Lakers. But I'm going to have to get use to it, cause Bonner isn't going anywhere for awhile. I still believe the best way to play him is off the bench at the 3-spot (a tall SF like Rashard/Turkoglu/Peja), his dribble penetration is underrated. I was laughing when he drove in and gave that assist to Blair.

If your tired of Bonner getting all this PT make sure your voice is heard!
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gamenight/gamenight_feedback.html
http://www.nba.com/spurs/contact/club_directory.html

McDyess looked miserable out there sitting the bench. And if Blair keeps this up he is going to make a serious case for rookie of the year, esp. with Blake out.

:flag:

:lobt2:

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2009, 09:46 PM
http://content.mydamnchannel.com/datastore/UserFiles/champagne%20pop.jpg

We're back Spurs fans.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
^^^ I agree, the Lakers are not this deep. Hill/Mason/Manu/McDyess/Blair off the bench is just too much.

Chomag
10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
I think Blair would have had alot less minutes had the game been close. Bonner.... I have nothing to say there lol 28 minutes... wow.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I think Blair would have had alot less minutes had the game been close. Bonner.... I have nothing to say there lol 28 minutes... wow.

I don't know what to make of it, I feel like I can't enjoy the win as much with him out there in the post getting that much PT. Pop will get away with it for most of the season but when the championship is on the line I seriously hope he doesn't try to pull that crap.

I seriously hope Pop doesn't try to pull this against the Lakers/Celtics in the regular season and in the playoffs

DeJuan Blair: That's a big boy!

superjames1992
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't know what to make of it, I feel like I can't enjoy the win as much with him out there in the post getting that much PT. Pop will get away with it for most of the season but when the championship is on the line I seriously hope he doesn't try to pull that crap.

I seriously hope Pop doesn't try to pull this against the Lakers/Celtics in the regular season and in the playoffs

Why? The Spurs won by 16. Who cares who's in the game if the Spurs win? Bonner obviously played well enough for the Spurs to win.

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm still in favor of having him come off the bench..Bonner is a very good offensive player, and he would be even better against bench players..lights-out shooter, drives to the basket well, smart player..

He gives the effort on defense, he just can't keep up with good NBA starters IMO..David West missed some shots that he usually makes, but he got whatever he wanted against Bonner for the most part..he pushed him around and simply overpowered him..Matt fronted him at the end of the game, which was good D, but other than that, it wasn't good..

West got some points in on 'Dice and Blair in as well, he's always going to get his..the baskets came harder against them though, because he had trouble posting them up..

Our bench looks like it's going to be a high-octane energy bench, so Bonner fits even better with that unit than McDyess does(although it would work with 'Dice either way)..

AussieFanKurt
10-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Very very happy with Blair and Bonner knocked a few 3s down so all good. And timmy only had to play 22 minutes. Excellenté

EricB
10-28-2009, 09:55 PM
When McDyess gets into shape then you could probably bitch.

DespЏrado
10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey MB haven't you made fun of people upping there post counts by just posting a picture in peoples thread without adding any meaningful commentary, or were people just making fun of you? I can't remember.

back on topic-
Bonner can not start on this team, we should be getting spot minutes at most, and I just don't get why the hell Popovich would say we had a talent deficit last year. But stick with the same guys we who caused that deficit.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Why? The Spurs won by 16. Who cares who's in the game if the Spurs win? Bonner obviously played well enough for the Spurs to win.

Because NO sucked ass in that game and we can win 82 games for all i care if we don't win a championship it's all a waste

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 09:57 PM

STOP WITH THE BONNER HATE....:nope

we won that's all that matters guy....This is a TEAM not some one man show....word to the Hornets

ElNono
10-28-2009, 09:57 PM
He gives up too much on defense... We started in a hole solely because West was getting whatever he wanted on him, plus he couldn't grab a board...

LOL @ the suckers that said he was going to be a 15 mpg situational player coming off the bench...
One game in he's our starting C, and top minutes player... and yeah, Pop better sit his ass against the elite teams or we're fucked...

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:00 PM
STOP WITH THE BONNER HATE....:nope

we won that's all that matters guy....This is a TEAM not some one man show....word to the Hornets

No, because I love the Spurs and I want them win a championship

82-0 MEANS NOTHING if we dont win a championship so stop being biased, if Bonner was starting PF/C on the Lakers we wouldn't be hearing any of these arguments, we'd be united

EricB
10-28-2009, 10:01 PM
He gives up too much on defense... We started in a hole solely because West was getting whatever he wanted on him, plus he couldn't grab a board...

LOL @ the suckers that said he was going to be a 15 mpg situational player coming off the bench...
One game in he's our starting C, and top minutes player... and yeah, Pop better sit his ass against the elite teams or we're fucked...

Bonner outscored him in the first half 8-7...

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:02 PM
When McDyess gets into shape then you could probably bitch.

What I'm going to bitch about are people like you coming in hurling insults cause you think the fact that we won and Bonner is wearing a Spurs jersey justifies everything

We'll see you jump ship if Pop tries to pull this against Rasheed/Kendrick/KG and Pau/Odom/Bynum

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:03 PM

I want Bonner to get minutes, just as a SF off the bench

Is that too hard for you to understand? He's a good SF, just not a PF

EricB

Whats too hard for you to understand he;s not a fucking small forward.

he's as much a SF as Robert Horry was.

ElNono

That's because West sat down pretty much the entire second quarter... What was the tally after the 1st quarter??? Did you watch the game or are just being silly?

SpurNation
10-28-2009, 10:04 PM

On the contrary...it wasn't until Blair first entered the game that the Spurs started to pull away.

The entire second unit is what got the team the easy win.

ElNono
10-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Please refrain from mentioning Horry and Bonner in the same post... Thank you.

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 10:05 PM
No, because I love the Spurs and I want them win a championship

82-0 MEANS NOTHING if we dont win a championship so stop being biased, if Bonner was starting PF/C on the Lakers we wouldn't be hearing any of these arguments, we'd be united

:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope

Listen kid....Bonner needs this....he needs the min so he can get more comfortable...PLUS Popovich Knows what he is doing....so STOP!

EDIT PLUS WAIT TO WE PLAY THOSE TEAMS....JUMPING THE GUN FTL

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Sure, and that justifies him starting at PF/C? It doesn't.

On the contrary...it wasn't until Blair first entered the game that the Spurs started to pull away.

Thank you. It's time to have a town hall meeting with Popovich!

superjames1992
10-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I hate when SA dominates their opponents... :depressed

Buddy Holly
10-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Did you not watch the game? The game was fairly close, really close when Blair entered. Blair, Manu and Hill are the reason the Spurs went on the run they did and took over.

peskypesky
^^^ I agree, the Lakers are not this deep. Hill/Mason/Manu/McDyess/Blair off the bench is just too much.

absolutely. spurs are deepest team in the league. and one of the deepest in nba history.

TIMMYD!
1 down, 81 to go

VivaPopovich
:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope

Listen kid....Bonner needs this....he needs the min so he can get more comfortable...PLUS Popovich Knows what he is doing....so STOP!

EDIT PLUS WAIT TO WE PLAY THOSE TEAMS....JUMPING THE GUN FTL

I love Pop, he is a major reason why I am a spurs fan. But loyalty is only going to go so far. if he started Michael finley at PF (which he seriously played him at last season during the playoffs, along with Udoka) I am going to ask serious questions

Trust in Pop eh?

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I hate when SA dominates their opponents... :depressed

I love it when they do, but that's not going to make me justify starting Bonner at PF and giving him the most minutes on the team when they were playing a NO team that seriously might not even make the playoffs, not to mention a CHAMPIONSHIP is the goal not to win the season opener against NO so shutup

On the contrary, I'll shutup if this very same strategy works against Lakers/Celtics in the playoffs and wins a championship. My Lord that'll be the day.

pjjrfan
10-28-2009, 10:12 PM

This is true. Once the 2nd unit came in they took control of the game and I just loved seeing Manu out there leading Hill and Blair.

Interrohater
10-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Dude, you've got to be kidding. Bonner has trouble guarding bigs but he does stay in front of them. Who the hell would he guard as a small forward? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read in my life.

Look man, Bonner is starting because he knows the system and the other bigs are not in game shape yet. He's talented, can we not all agree on that at least? He played so many minutes because the game got out of control. If the game got closer, no way would he be in there unless we really needed a 3 pointer.

Relax man, first game of the season and the Spurs played really well, and you're still pissed off. Are you really not going to enjoy ANY games until the Spurs hoist the trophy?

Borosai
10-28-2009, 10:14 PM
:dramaquee

At this point, Bonner and Duncan are the most experienced bigs in this system, so he starts and gets the minutes until someone else takes them from him. If people want to watch the game with blinders on, go ahead, but Bonner isn't a huge defensive liability (not to mention being a better defender than West). On top of that, West and Okafor shot well tonight, regardless of who defended them, so complain about Duncan, McDyess, and Blair while you're at it.

As far as Blair goes... well... what were the other 29 teams thinking? :dizzy

Chomag
10-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Did you not watch the game? The game was fairly close, really close when Blair entered. Blair, Manu and Hill are the reason the Spurs went on the run they did and took over.

No, no, I know our bench rocked and they outplayed the starters by far. I posted this on another Thread. I was just commenting that I feel Blair would have had less minutes if the game was closer "throughout" .
Sorry for the missunderstanding.

EricB
10-28-2009, 10:18 PM
McDyess is not in shape for the billionth time and doesn't know the system.

Blair is a rookie doesn't know the system and doesn't have the wind for it either.

Bonner knows the system and has the wind for it.

How about letting the season play out before freaking out that Bonner is starting.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Dude, you've got to be kidding. Bonner has trouble guarding bigs but he does stay in front of them. Who the hell would he guard as a small forward? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read in my life.

Look man, Bonner is starting because he knows the system and the other bigs are not in game shape yet. He's talented, can we not all agree on that at least? He played so many minutes because the game got out of control. If the game got closer, no way would he be in there unless we really needed a 3 pointer.

Relax man, first game of the season and the Spurs played really well, and you're still pissed off. Are you really not going to enjoy ANY games until the Spurs hoist the trophy?

:dramaquee

At this point, Bonner and Duncan are the most experienced bigs in this system, so he starts and gets the minutes until someone else takes them from him. If people want to watch the game with blinders on, go ahead, but Bonner isn't a huge defensive liability (not to mention being a better defender than West). On top of that, West and Okafor shot well tonight, regardless of who defended them, so complain about Duncan, McDyess, and Blair while you're at it.

As far as Blair goes... well... what were the other 29 teams thinking? :dizzy

McDyess is not in shape for the billionth time and doesn't know the system.

Blair is a rookie doesn't know the system and doesn't have the wind for it either.

Bonner knows the system and has the wind for it.

How about letting the season play out before freaking out that Bonner is starting.

Alright.

:flag:

:lobt2:

The Truth #6
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not expecting Bonner to step up in the playoffs but he's playing as well as he can right now. Nothing wrong with riding his production in the regular season to save minutes for Dice and Tim for the playoffs.

Scola
10-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't think the feedback section the Spurs site is so fans can tell the Head coach how to play his guys. Image the poor guy who has to deliver the message to pop. :lmao I would also like to see less Matt Bonner, his 3 point shooting ability is nice and creates good spacing, but his Defense is very bad.

ehz33satx
10-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Sure, and that justifies him starting at PF/C? It doesn't.

Upset cause we won with Bonner in the lineup? I give Pop my vote of confidence. He can play who ever the hell he wants. His 4 trophies justify the means.