PDA

View Full Version : STOP with the Matt Bonner Hate VOL VivaPopovich

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Only place I know where people hate Bonner when he dose good...

:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope :nope:nope:nope:nope:nope

superjames1992
10-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I agree. It's unbelievable in here. It's ridiculous that we have tons of people who are pissed off because a certain player played in a game in which we crushed our opponents.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the same guys that are saying, "We'll see you loving Bonner when he plays well" are hating on me cause I'm consistent with my beliefs in spite of the win

And don't start a completely new thread putting a poster on blast, you noob

Interrohater
10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree big time. Although I am an advocate for bringing Bonner off the bench, I don't see the problem in starting him in the FIRST GAME of the season. How strange that some people are angry after we totally crush a team.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree. It's unbelievable in here. It's ridiculous that we have tons of people who are pissed off because a certain player played in a game in which we crushed our opponents.

I hate to burst your bubble but the way NO played tonight I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs in the West

and Last I checked this is a Spurs forum where you can post and start threads on anything you want, so if you don't like the differences of opinions you can get out

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, the same guys that are saying, "We'll see you loving Bonner when he plays well" are hating on me cause I'm consistent with my beliefs in spite of the win

And don't start a completely new thread putting a poster on blast, you noob

Do you want some Cheese for that wine?:whine

and All I ask is give dude his props....:wakeup

He is a SPURS Player..he is family....thats like always putting your own brother on blast even if he dose good

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
I agree big time. Although I am an advocate for bringing Bonner off the bench, I don't see the problem in starting him in the FIRST GAME of the season. How strange that some people are angry after we totally crush a team.

I am angry because we are a LONG way from a championship and I don't know about the rest of you, but the scars from last season and all the previous disappointments still hasn't fully healed.

Obviously, if I see the EXACT same thing happening that caused our loss last season, I'm going to be upset

And all you donkies hurling insults is dividing us not uniting us

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Do you want some Cheese for that wine?:whine

and All I ask is give dude his props....:wakeup

Matt Bonner is a terrific 3pt shooter and has an underrated dribble pentration and running jumper. I think he'd be fantastic coming off the bench at the 3

EricB
10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I am angry because we are a LONG way from a championship and I don't know about the rest of you, but the scars from last season and all the previous disappointments still hasn't fully healed.

Obviously, if I see the EXACT same thing happening that caused our loss last season, I'm going to be upset

?

The only person I see bitching about a 20 point win is you genius.

baseline bum
10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
No way the Spurs will have any chance versus LA with Bonner going against Gasol. Bonner has shown he can't play in big games (playoffs last year, anyone?) and he's an enormous defensive liability. With rebounders like McDyess and Blair, there's no excuse to run out a soft shooter like Bonner for major minutes. Bonner should play 15 minutes a night max.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
?

The only person I see bitching about a 20 point win is you genius.

Yeah and your the only person pounding your chest shouting Mission Accomplished for beating a team that won't even make the playoffs

If Matt Bonner was starting PF for the Lakers ALL of us would be united in prodding Laker fans for it

EricB
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah and your the only person pounding your chest shouting Mission Accomplished for beating a team that won't even make the playoffs

?

Where did I see mission accomplished?

Link?

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Matt Bonner is a terrific 3pt shooter and has an underrated dribble pentration and running jumper. I think he'd be fantastic coming off the bench at the 3

:hat:hat:hat:hat

was it really that hard?...

And you never know what if Dice and Blair are in foul trouble?..
we are going to have no chose but to play him...
Let him get his SWAG on a trillion so come playoff time he is ready...

:flag:

Horse
10-28-2009, 10:26 PM
You want him to play o.k. but with Dice and hell even Blair why does he start?

hater
10-28-2009, 10:26 PM
No way the Spurs will have any chance versus LA with Bonner going against Gasol. Bonner has shown he can't play in big games (playoffs last year, anyone?) and he's an enormous defensive liability. With rebounders like McDyess and Blair, there's no excuse to run out a soft shooter like Bonner for major minutes. Bonner should play 15 minutes a night max.

bonner can hit the open shots. playoffs or not. he did not get many vs. mavs last year.

Bonner is a great shooting big man. he will contribute

Chomag
10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Bonner can Shoot 3's You got to give him that. However so many other Players can shoot it ( many on this team alone) as well, but they also bing other aspects to the table.

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 10:28 PM

don't worry the SPURS are still piss about that...:bang

And so am I! :bang

Interrohater

Dude, you realize that you insulted me, while admonishing me for insulting. Although, I never insulted anyone. Come on man, step up your game or you're the starting center.

First of all, in rebuttal, the EXACT same thing is not happening. We have a very different team this year, so maybe, just maybe, Bonner can actually fill a role here instead of being forced to be someone that he's not. Secondly, you are seriously overreacting. It's the first game, homie, relax.

We all said during the preseason that we knew it would take some time for the team to gel. That is still the case. This game is about the journey, enjoy it while it lasts.

EricB
Good god he's not a fucking 3....

Chomag
10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I think alot here might be getting to caught up with the starter thing. Bonner had 28 minutes, thats the biggest concern to me.

Interrohater

Unless it's garbage time because it's a rout.... right?

ElNono
If we win by 20, 30, 40+ and Bonner sucks, then we're gonna call it like we see it: Bonner sucks.
Just as much as I loved our second unit, Blair debut, Dice and the win.

And please stop with the ridiculous excuses. He plays because he knows the system my ass. Blair FIRST FUCKING GAME in the NBA, nowhere near as tall as Bonner and he gets double digit rebounds. The difference is not the system, the difference is that one player has BALLS and is a MAN, and the other is a pussy.

EricB
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
If we win by 20, 30, 40+ and Bonner sucks, then we're gonna call it like we see it: Bonner sucks.

And please stop with the ridiculous excuses. He plays because he knows the system my ass. Blair FIRST FUCKING GAME in the NBA, nowhere near as tall as Bonner and he gets double digit rebounds. The difference is not the system, the difference is that one player has BALLS and is a MAN, and the other is a pussy.

??

So your advocating a guy that can barely play 20 minutes to start?

Right on.

Very MANLY!! GRRR!! ROWR!

Loud noises!!

superjames1992
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM

So anyone who isn't a beast rebounder is a pussy? I guess everyone on this forum is a pussy, then, because I doubt any of us could get 10 rebounds in an NBA game.

VivaPopovich
10-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Good god he's not a fucking 3....

Ok, you are right, he's not a 3.

Dude, you realize that you insulted me, while admonishing me for insulting. Although, I never insulted anyone. Come on man, step up your game or you're the starting center.

I didnt meant to insult anyone, basketball is just one of the great passions in my life and i think it's easy for all of us to get heated.

:hat:hat:hat:hat

was it really that hard?...

And you never know what if Dice and Blair are in foul trouble?..
we are going to have no chose but to play him...
Let him get his SWAG on a trillion so come playoff time he is ready...

First of all, in rebuttal, the EXACT same thing is not happening. We have a very different team this year, so maybe, just maybe, Bonner can actually fill a role here instead of being forced to be someone that he's not. Secondly, you are seriously overreacting. It's the first game, homie, relax.

We all said during the preseason that we knew it would take some time for the team to gel. That is still the case. This game is about the journey, enjoy it while it lasts.

Alrite

:lobt2:

ElNono
10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
So anyone who isn't a beast rebounder is a pussy? I guess everyone on this forum is a pussy, then, because I doubt any of us could get 10 rebounds in an NBA game.

Are you a NBA player? No? How about you STFU and stop making pansy excuses then?

EricB
10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Are you a NBA player? No? How about you STFU and stop making pansy excuses then?

No ones making excuses....

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 10:38 PM
In the end were all here for one thing...

:lobt2:

VivaPopovich

Sorry for putting you on blast...but since I been I seen more hate to him then any other spurs player..

Forgive me?

:chestbump

zepn
10-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Has anyone figured out why this guy puts "VOL" on all his threads?

Creation88
10-28-2009, 10:42 PM
bonner sucks. the regular season means shit when you tank and go MIA in the playoffs. he can't be redeemed until the '09 Playoffs start.

Kool Bob Love
10-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Has anyone figured out why this guy puts "VOL" on all his threads?

not all my threads....:nerd:nerd:nerd

50Bestspurever
10-28-2009, 10:51 PM
great great win tonight, blair and hill looked awesome. but any real spurs fan knows that boner has no fucking place on this team. nice guy, but no fucking way does he belong on the court with the greatest power forward to ever play the game and tony and manu. fuck boner, dudes gotta go and thats reality.

zepn
10-28-2009, 10:52 PM
not all my threads....:nerd:nerd:nerd

What does it mean?

EricB
10-28-2009, 10:54 PM
great great win tonight, blair and hill looked awesome. but any real spurs fan knows that boner has no fucking place on this team. nice guy, but no fucking way does he belong on the court with the greatest power forward to ever play the game and tony and manu. fuck boner, dudes gotta go and thats reality.

No its not reality. Only in your guy's stupid fantasy basketball world does it.

50Bestspurever
10-28-2009, 10:56 PM
No its not reality. Only in your guy's stupid fantasy basketball world does it.

yeah it is reality dumbshit. how does boner belong. dude can't play defense, dude cant' produce when it counts. like i said, nice guy but if you think he belongs your, as timmy said about the dress code, retarded.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-28-2009, 10:57 PM

This.

zepn
10-28-2009, 11:15 PM
What does it mean?

baseline bum
10-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Unless it's garbage time because it's a rout.... right?

How many starters since AC Green on the 2000 Lakers don't play 20+ minutes? There's no way Bonner should be getting the minutes it's obvious he is slated to get right now.

baseline bum
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
bonner can hit the open shots. playoffs or not. he did not get many vs. mavs last year.

Bonner is a great shooting big man. he will contribute

Bonner got plenty of open looks, but put up some of the most pathetic numbers I have ever seen out of a Spurs starter that series. Even worse, the Spurs were murdered on glass by Dallas, due in no small part to Bonner pulling a pathetic 3 boards a game. Bonner is a one-trick pony at best, and even that one trick doesn't work in games that matter. He should not be a rotation player on a team with title hopes.

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:03 AM
How many starters since AC Green on the 2000 Lakers don't play 20+ minutes? There's no way Bonner should be getting the minutes it's obvious he is slated to get right now.

Bonner isnt slated for shit. If and when he enters a game where the opposing team is abusing Bonner (eg Gasol or Odom), Pop will pull his ass VERY quick, and he will be lucky to see 15 minutes.

tonight he did a good job on west (which ive never said before) and there was no need to pull him.

you guys need to trust pop's ability to pull bonner, and settle the fuck down.

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:08 AM
i have advocated trading bonner since last year, but i gotta say if he can gaurd his man i have no problem with him getting minutes.

one thing you guys fail to realize is pop is going easy on the these 30-plus year old players (tim dice ratliff) and thats a luxury, especially when you can let them play themselves into shape slowly while your blowing out a divisional rival

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:21 AM
and I quote:
“You see what the game gives and make adjustments as it goes,” Popovich said. “The main thing is that in the back-to-back situation, having to play tomorrow, we didn't have to play our main guys 35 or 40 minutes. We were fortunate tonight.”

you guys sound like noobs all of a sudden:lol

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:26 AM
join the party, Harvey:
"What is clear: Popovich headed to Chicago late Wednesday with the deepest team he's ever had."

jcrod
10-29-2009, 12:28 AM

+1

If we going to our supposedly defense hay days, Bonner should not be starting. Coming off the bench, i'm ok with on spot minutes.

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:29 AM
this dude sounds miserable vivapopovich:
Antonio McDyess On the game - “It felt good tonight. I think we played well and had fun together. We had fun as a group out there on the floor. You look at this team with the depth that we have and have know that we have what it takes to be a good ballclub.”

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:31 AM
+1

If we going to our supposedly defense hay days, Bonner should not be starting. Coming off the bench, i'm ok with on spot minutes.

stop fearing, when we need the big guns we got em

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:36 AM
for the noobs who dont understand the bonner strategy, take it from Byron Scott:
"On the most impressive area of play from the Spurs tonight - “I think it was their spacing. They keep Tim down there and they just play one in and four out. They do a really good job of just keeping their spacing and keeping their discipline on the perimeter. Guys are catching the ball and making their shots, and if they’re not making their shots, they’re looking to put the ball on the floor and create shots for the other team."

baseline bum
10-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Bonner isnt slated for shit. If and when he enters a game where the opposing team is abusing Bonner (eg Gasol or Odom), Pop will pull his ass VERY quick, and he will be lucky to see 15 minutes.

tonight he did a good job on west (which ive never said before) and there was no need to pull him.

you guys need to trust pop's ability to pull bonner, and settle the fuck down.

Pop's ability to pull Bonner when he shits himself on the floor didn't show through last playoffs. The only time he got less than 15 minutes was game 5, even though the only game he wasn't completely pathetic in was 2. You're expecting something completely unrealistic to think Bonner can guard anyone or rebound, which are the main things the Spurs are going to need from their non-Duncan bigs. Bonner ever starting on Gasol just ensures this team will either get murdered inside early or from the perimeter when they have to throw help Bonner's way. He does not fit at all with this team as anything more than a situational shooter, especially now that it has plenty of other options.

Solid D
10-29-2009, 12:43 AM
for the noobs who dont understand the bonner strategy, take it from Byron Scott:
"On the most impressive area of play from the Spurs tonight - “I think it was their spacing. They keep Tim down there and they just play one in and four out. They do a really good job of just keeping their spacing and keeping their discipline on the perimeter. Guys are catching the ball and making their shots, and if they’re not making their shots, they’re looking to put the ball on the floor and create shots for the other team."

Sounds familiar.

lol @ Bonner being the minutes leader in this blowout. lol @ people complaining about Bonner and loving Blair, when Blair's D made Bonner look like a decent defender. Don't get me wrong, I was lovin' me some Blair down in the low post offensively, but defensively DeJuan was slightly better than an AT&T orange cone.

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Pop's ability to pull Bonner when he shits himself on the floor didn't show through last playoffs. The only time he got less than 15 minutes was game 5, even though the only game he wasn't completely pathetic in was 2. You're expecting something completely unrealistic to think Bonner can guard anyone or rebound, which are the main things the Spurs are going to need from their non-Duncan bigs. Bonner ever starting on Gasol just ensures this team will either get murdered inside early or from the perimeter when they have to throw help Bonner's way. He does not fit at all with this team as anything more than a situational shooter, especially now that it has plenty of other options.

your way off base.

last season we had no options, so basing your fears on last year is completely unsubstantiated

#2 i dont expect him to defend and rebound, i expect him to spread the floor and hit the three, and when he becomes a liability he will ride the bench

when the spurs need what dice/blair/ratliff provide, those guys will check in at the scorers table

this team is not going to get murdered by anyone

settle the fuck down

baseline bum
10-29-2009, 12:58 AM
your way off base.

last season we had no options, so basing your fears on last year is completely unsubstantiated

#2 i dont expect him to defend and rebound, i expect him to spread the floor and hit the three, and when he becomes a liability he will ride the bench

when the spurs need what dice/blair/ratliff provide, those guys will check in at the scorers table

this team is not going to get murdered by anyone

settle the fuck down

It's not about becoming a liability. Bonner is a liability from the start. Not being destroyed by Gasol/Bynum/Odom from the get-go is pretty improbable if he's assigned to one of them. And expecting him to spread the floor and hit a three in big games is ridiculous. Bonner's an amazing choker. It's not even arguable after the way he couldn't score against all-world defender Dirk Nowitzki. There's no way this team needs to become dependent on Bonner, which Pop is looking like he's making it by keeping him in that ridiculous starting role.

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 01:11 AM
It's not about becoming a liability. Bonner is a liability from the start. Not being destroyed by Gasol/Bynum/Odom from the get-go is pretty improbable if he's assigned to one of them..

dude your talking about the lakers. thats one team.
Gasol vs dice/blair/ratliff
bynum v tim/blair/ratliff
odom vs dice/jefferson/maybe blair

each new team=different matchup.

And expecting him to spread the floor and hit a three in big games is ridiculous. Bonner's an amazing choker. It's not even arguable after the way he couldn't score against all-world defender Dirk Nowitzki.

i agree. i dont want to rely on him more than 15 mins per in the playoffs. BUT WE WONT! STOP WORRYING! let the old guys play themselves into shape already

There's no way this team needs to become dependent on Bonner, which Pop is looking like he's making it by keeping him in that ridiculous starting role.

the old guys are playing their way into shape, there will be no reliance on bonner
this is a luxury

pop doesnt even like bonner...bonner is a whipping boy. its not like bonner is anything like pops crime dog crush

jjktkk
10-29-2009, 01:24 AM
It's not about becoming a liability. Bonner is a liability from the start. Not being destroyed by Gasol/Bynum/Odom from the get-go is pretty improbable if he's assigned to one of them. And expecting him to spread the floor and hit a three in big games is ridiculous. Bonner's an amazing choker. It's not even arguable after the way he couldn't score against all-world defender Dirk Nowitzki. There's no way this team needs to become dependent on Bonner, which Pop is looking like he's making it by keeping him in that ridiculous starting role.

Bonner is in there for one reason. To space the floor with his outside shooting. Most knowledgeable basketball fans realize Bonner is not in there to rebound and defend the paint. On most nights he won't be playing more than 20 minutes. You start McDyess, or Blair that clogs up the paint for Duncan to post up and, or Ginoboli, Parker to drive to the hole. When more defense and rebounding is needed, you put in McDyess, or Blair. Or depending on the Spurs opponent that night, you can then start McDyess, or Blair. You Bonner haters on here crack me up. Pop's offense philosophy is not exactly rocket science.

baseline bum
10-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Bonner is in there for one reason. To space the floor with his outside shooting. Most knowledgeable basketball fans realize Bonner is not in there to rebound and defend the paint. On most nights he won't be playing more than 20 minutes. You start McDyess, or Blair that clogs up the paint for Duncan to post up and, or Ginoboli, Parker to drive to the hole. When more defense and rebounding is needed, you put in McDyess, or Blair. Or depending on the Spurs opponent that night, you can then start McDyess, or Blair. You Bonner haters on here crack me up. Pop's offense philosophy is not exactly rocket science.

Most knowledgeable basketball fans know Bonner is not a good player.

50Bestspurever
10-29-2009, 01:43 AM

Bonner is not in there to rebound and defend the paint.

omg dude that is heart and soul of spurs basketball.:lmao

jcrod
10-29-2009, 02:00 AM

Most knowledgeable bball fans know thats called defense. The championship is won on defense not offense. They should start off strong defensively.

sabar
10-29-2009, 03:22 AM
Most knowledgeable fans know that minutes in a blow out of a scrub team on the first day of the season is not indicative of playoff roster or minutes. No one heres knows crap about how the rotation will look until spring rolls around. Also, our team sucked ass last playoffs, with or without bonner. We had no useful bigs outside Duncan. The corpse of Kurt Thomas or Pops Mensah Abdul Jabbar weren't gonna get a championship either.

jjktkk
10-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Most knowledgeable bball fans know thats called defense. The championship is won on defense not offense. They should start off strong defensively.

So, jcrod, when are you taking over for Pop? Or maybe Pop will hire you as a defensive consultant, since Pop knows nothing about defense. Did i not say Bonner is not in the lineup for his defense. You think Pop doesn't know that defense wins championships? By Bonner being in the lineup, it opens up the offense. When Pop needs to toighten up on defense, he will make the necessary adjustments. :rolleyes

baseline bum
10-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Most knowledgeable fans know that minutes in a blow out of a scrub team on the first day of the season is not indicative of playoff roster or minutes. No one heres knows crap about how the rotation will look until spring rolls around. Also, our team sucked ass last playoffs, with or without bonner. We had no useful bigs outside Duncan. The corpse of Kurt Thomas or Pops Mensah Abdul Jabbar weren't gonna get a championship either.

It's obvious Bonner is expected to play a major role when he's a starter, so quit playing dumb. It's also obvious that his game runs contrary to what has delivered titles to this team since 1999, and plays into what has been the downfall of this team three of the last four years (piss-poor rebounding and lackluster defense).

baseline bum
10-29-2009, 05:01 AM
So, jcrod, when are you taking over for Pop? Or maybe Pop will hire you as a defensive consultant, since Pop knows nothing about defense. Did i not say Bonner is not in the lineup for his defense. You think Pop doesn't know that defense wins championships? By Bonner being in the lineup, it opens up the offense. When Pop needs to toighten up on defense, he will make the necessary adjustments. :rolleyes

Pop has loyalties to shitty players sometimes despite their incompetence. See the huge minutes Finley got guarding star players at Bowen's expense all of last season despite the fact that the team played much better with Bruce on the floor.

ElNono
10-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Sounds familiar.

lol @ Bonner being the minutes leader in this blowout. lol @ people complaining about Bonner and loving Blair, when Blair's D made Bonner look like a decent defender. Don't get me wrong, I was lovin' me some Blair down in the low post offensively, but defensively DeJuan was slightly better than an AT&T orange cone.

Blair rebounds. He's really no better than Matt defense-wise, but he gets boards and he scores high percentage shots. Rebounding is huge if we pretend to keep Tim fresh. The reason Tim amassed like 7 boards in 6 minutes is *because* Bonner is useless rebounding, not the other way around. But when Tim has to fight for boards against two 7 footers (ie:Gasol, Bynum) it's a major problem.

Last season we gave up second chance points like there was no tomorrow. That has to end if we pretend to win anything.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Blair rebounds. He's really no better than Matt defense-wise, but he gets boards and he scores high percentage shots. Rebounding is huge if we pretend to keep Tim fresh. The reason Tim amassed like 7 boards in 6 minutes is *because* Bonner is useless rebounding, not the other way around. But when Tim has to fight for boards against two 7 footers (ie:Gasol, Bynum) it's a major problem.

Last season we gave up second chance points like there was no tomorrow. That has to end if we pretend to win anything.

Nice reply. :tu

And I'm sure that Bonner's defence will improve quickly as he comes to understand the NBA game and how it's called. I'm sure, with his physical talents (strength, low centre of gravity, long arms, nimble feet), that he can become at least as good as Malik was at disrupting the rhythm of his taller opponents, and probably a bit better. Look at what he did to Thabeet! Kid's a quick learner, and I think his D will come on quickly.

Mel_13
10-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Nice reply. :tu

And I'm sure that Bonner's defence will improve quickly as he comes to understand the NBA game and how it's called. I'm sure, with his phsical talents, that he can become at least as good as malik was at disrupting the rhythm of his taller opponents.

I think you typed the wrong name

OrEmuN
10-29-2009, 08:30 AM
I am neutral towards Bonner. I think he is a limited role player whose expiring contract may be more valuable than his ability at this point of time. However, until he is traded and whenever he steps onto the court, I will hope that he does well to help the team win.

On a lighter note, for those Bonner-haters, your consolation prize may be speaking to a Hornets fan and saying, " we played Bonner for 28 min and you guys still can't win ? OMG ?!"

4down
10-29-2009, 08:55 AM

I agree that his defense does prelude him from playing major minutes, but i think an average of 17-20 MPG would be within reason. He showed a little bit of ability to drive with a little runing hook which would be great if he were to get consistent with that.

I think the great thing right now is that we have really good options along with Bonner to counter different situations.

Chomag
10-29-2009, 09:53 AM
All I want to know is why some give someone so much praises over 1 dimension even when that 1 dimension is the lowest percentage shot in the game of basketball. IMO it's very overated as far as stretching the floor. Ask any team and the NBA and I guarantee that everyone of them would say that they would rather give up a 3 then a higher percentage shot. How many teams do you think have a game plan that involve stopping Bonner? Most teams want to give him that shot al day rather then it come from somewhere else.

It's good for a player to have a 3 pt shoot, but a NBA caliber player needs to have other aspects to his game then just that one.

TJastal
10-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Good game for the spurs, but it comes against a hornet team who's center hadn't even practiced yet and probably the worst bench in the league.

As for Bonner, this game was a great example of how he can get the spurs into early defecits. Mel13, you wanted examples well here you are. He cannot guard the better PF's of the league and David West took advantage and teed off on him early. Add to that Bonner launched and missed badly on his first couple shots.

Luckily the spurs bench players came in to turn this game around before it got out of hand. Once the spurs had a sizeable lead, then Bonner came in and hit his 3's, once the pressure was off. He didn't really impress with his mid-range game at all. He had a very awkward looking running hook shot in the lane that fortunately bounced in and then proceeded to miss a 5 foot uncontested bunny shot that McDyess would have just slammed home. That shot just made me cringe because it barely caught iron. Bonner's mid range game just makes me cringe, period.

I really wonder what's going to happen w/Bonner when the spurs face some tougher obstacles. As for now, it's all good, the spurs' bench came through and carried the team today.

Solid D
10-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Blair rebounds. He's really no better than Matt defense-wise, but he gets boards and he scores high percentage shots.

Blair has a lot of learning to do defensively. Saying he is no better than Matt defense-wise doesn't really describe the comparison of the two players defensively. Blair's D was pretty awful in the Hornets game. Taller players easily scored over him and he was late on help D. He does have the pyriamid base defending post-ups that Bonner lacks, but just a couple of moves rather than passing out of the post got the opposition a fairly easy bucket over DeJuan.

DeJuan will probably become a decent defender before the shot gets to the rim, eventually. He's already got the "after it gets to the rim" handled, so I'll give him that.

Offensively, Blair is obviously highly productive and inspiring.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2009, 05:50 PM
All I want to know is why some give someone so much praises over 1 dimension even when that 1 dimension is the lowest percentage shot in the game of basketball.It's not terribly low when Bonner shoots it.
IMO it's very overated as far as stretching the floor.I think the value of drawing a big man defender above the three point line in a half court set is quite well known and an actual hallmark of championship teams over the last decade.
Ask any team and the NBA and I guarantee that everyone of them would say that they would rather give up a 3 then a higher percentage shot.Depends on the situation.
How many teams do you think have a game plan that involve stopping Bonner?Bonner makes it more difficult for teams to defend the Spurs that other teams game plan for.
Most teams want to give him that shot al day rather then it come from somewhere else.Then why do they defend him at all?

It's good for a player to have a 3 pt shoot, but a NBA caliber player needs to have other aspects to his game then just that one.If you do one thing very well, you can be in the league. The main issue is when and how much to use Bonner given his limitations. The fact that the Spurs signed two new players expressly to play more than Bonner tells me that this amount will be less than last season.

ElNono
10-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Blair has a lot of learning to do defensively. Saying he is no better than Matt defense-wise doesn't really describe the comparison of the two players defensively. Blair's D was pretty awful in the Hornets game. Taller players easily scored over him and he was late on help D. He does have the pyriamid base defending post-ups that Bonner lacks, but just a couple of moves rather than passing out of the post got the opposition a fairly easy bucket over DeJuan.

DeJuan will probably become a decent defender before the shot gets to the rim, eventually. He's already got the "after it gets to the rim" handled, so I'll give him that.

Offensively, Blair is obviously highly productive and inspiring.

Completely agree with you.