PDA

View Full Version : Excerpts from the book the NBA doesn't want you to read

Samr
10-28-2009, 11:15 PM
link to excerpts from Donaghy's book (http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read)

the backstory (like when the NBA threatened to sue) (http://deadspin.com/5392030/the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read)

To have a little fun at the expense of the worst troublemakers, the referees working the game would sometimes make a modest friendly wager amongst themselves: first ref to give one of the bad boys a technical foul wouldn't have to tip the ball boy that night. In the NBA, ball boys set up the referees' locker room and keep it stocked with food and beer for the postgame meal. We usually ran the kid ragged with a variety of personal requests and then slipped him a $20 bill. Technically, the winner of the bet won twice-he didn't have to pay the kid and he got to call a T on Mr. Foul-Mouthed Big-Shot Du Jour.

It gets worse from there.

iggypop123
10-28-2009, 11:16 PM
took long enough. wanst published cause his cred is in question. might be another canseco. might be right but no one wants to give him a deal

in2deep
10-28-2009, 11:20 PM
The 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings presents a stunning example of game and series manipulation at its ugliest. As the teams prepared for Game 6 at the Staples Center, Sacramento had a 3–2 lead in the series. The referees assigned to work Game 6 were Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney, and Ted Bernhardt. As soon as the referees for the game were chosen, the rest of us knew immediately that there would be a Game 7. A prolonged series was good for the league, good for the networks, and good for the game. Oh, and one more thing: it was great for the big-market, star-studded Los Angeles Lakers.

In the pregame meeting prior to Game 6, the league office sent down word that certain calls-calls that would have benefitted the Lakers — were being missed by the referees. This was the type of not-so-subtle information that I and other referees were left to interpret. After receiving the dispatch, Bavetta openly talked about the fact that the league wanted a Game 7.

"If we give the benefit of the calls to the team that's down in the series, nobody's going to complain. The series will be even at three apiece, and then the better team can win Game 7," Bavetta stated.
As history shows, Sacramento lost Game 6 in a wild come-from-behind thriller that saw the Lakers repeatedly sent to the foul line by the referees. For other NBA referees watching the game on television, it was a shameful performance by Bavetta's crew, one of the most poorly officiated games of all time.

iggypop123
10-28-2009, 11:25 PM
people in the comments section really despise bavetta

DeadlyDynasty
10-28-2009, 11:25 PM
The 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings presents a stunning example of game and series manipulation at its ugliest. As the teams prepared for Game 6 at the Staples Center, Sacramento had a 3–2 lead in the series. The referees assigned to work Game 6 were Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney, and Ted Bernhardt. As soon as the referees for the game were chosen, the rest of us knew immediately that there would be a Game 7. A prolonged series was good for the league, good for the networks, and good for the game. Oh, and one more thing: it was great for the big-market, star-studded Los Angeles Lakers.

In the pregame meeting prior to Game 6, the league office sent down word that certain calls-calls that would have benefitted the Lakers — were being missed by the referees. This was the type of not-so-subtle information that I and other referees were left to interpret. After receiving the dispatch, Bavetta openly talked about the fact that the league wanted a Game 7.

"If we give the benefit of the calls to the team that's down in the series, nobody's going to complain. The series will be even at three apiece, and then the better team can win Game 7," Bavetta stated.
As history shows, Sacramento lost Game 6 in a wild come-from-behind thriller that saw the Lakers repeatedly sent to the foul line by the referees. For other NBA referees watching the game on television, it was a shameful performance by Bavetta's crew, one of the most poorly officiated games of all time.

:lol

I love Stern:toast

ClingingMars
10-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Disgusted.

DAF86
10-29-2009, 12:41 AM
I love Stern:toast

Don't you feel a little dead inside?

milkshakeballa
10-29-2009, 01:13 AM

Maybe, but Game 2 of the 2008 finals just wakes me up again...

:toast:toast

z0sa
10-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Donaghy book canceled over liability (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4603209)

Kibic
10-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Where was Stern on the day Beijing finals was taking place?

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2009, 05:59 AM
things like this prove the NBA is more entertainment than sport

JJ Hickson
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
In a twist of fate, it was the Spurs that ended up needing the win to have a shot at the division title, and Bavetta generously accommodated. In our pregame meeting, he talked about how important the game was to San Antonio and how meaningless it was to Denver, and that San Antonio was going to get the benefit of the calls that night. Armed with this inside information, I called Jack Concannon before the game and told him to bet the Spurs. To no surprise, we won big. San Antonio blew Denver out of the building that evening, winning by 26 points. When Jack called me the following morning, he expressed amazement at the way an NBA game could be manipulated. Sobering, yes; amazing, no. That's how the game is played in the National Basketball Association.

JJ Hickson
10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.
Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 09:23 AM

In a twist of fate, it was the Spurs that ended up needing the win to have a shot at the division title, and Bavetta generously accommodated. In our pregame meeting, he talked about how important the game was to San Antonio and how meaningless it was to Denver, and that San Antonio was going to get the benefit of the calls that night. Armed with this inside information, I called Jack Concannon before the game and told him to bet the Spurs. To no surprise, we won big. San Antonio blew Denver out of the building that evening, winning by 26 points. When Jack called me the following morning, he expressed amazement at the way an NBA game could be manipulated. Sobering, yes; amazing, no. That's how the game is played in the National Basketball Association.

My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.
Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

How bout you ask yourself that question first

DAF86
10-29-2009, 09:32 AM

Go check my reaction in the thread somebody made about this in the Spurs forum.

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Go check my reaction in the thread somebody made about this in the Spurs forum.

can't you just post it here dude? I'm too lazy to drift into that forum in the morning

ginobili's bald spot
10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Man I wish this book would come out. This thing would be a huge seller. I mean who here WOULDN'T want to read this book?

z0sa
10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
The refs being corrupt should be plainly obvious.

phyzik
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
interesting read.

DAF86
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
can't you just post it here dude? I'm too lazy to drift into that forum in the morning

This shit is killing all the excitment I had from the Spurs game, it makes me want to stop seeing the NBA.

Sadly this book is going to make me side with a lot of Laker fans on the internet, since we're gonna have to be defending our team just like they'll have to defend theirs..

Why do you have to defend the indefendible?

Culburn369
10-29-2009, 11:18 AM

Adelman begged CWEBB not to leave Horry, but, he turned his back on him.

tee, hee.

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Respect DAF86...yeah it's all a shit sandwich and we've each had a bite. Sad to see, but what's done is done...let's just hope the release of this book will squash any more corruption among the refs/higher-ups

z0sa
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Respect bro...yeah it's all a shit sandwich and we've each had a bite. Sad to see, but what's done is done...let's just hope the release of this book will squash any more corruption among the refs/higher-ups

Big business squashing corruption is oxymoronic.

Fpoonsie
10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Meh. The Spurs ORGANIZATION had nothing to do w/ said corruption. They went out and played their asses off to win each series.

Same goes for the Lakers.

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Big business squashing corruption is oxymoronic.

true...call it wishful thinking. Ignorance is bliss. Our only other option would be to stop watching it all together. I don't know about you, but it'd be hard to give up a game I've known and loved since I was 5 years old (1988).

Culburn369
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM

:lol Spursfandom don't like feelin' dirty, eh? They've been living the whopper blissfully since Duncan landed.

Stings, don't it?

tee, hee.

Culburn369
10-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Meh. The Spurs ORGANIZATION had nothing to do w/ said corruption. They went out and played their asses off to win each series.

Same goes for the Lakers.

Sure. C'mon, sweetheart, crawl in the old crapped bed with Cubby, et al.

It alright, honeybun.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picc84
10-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm willing to admit game 6 might have been fixed, but you'd think Sac would be able to win a game 7 at home if they were truly the better team.

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm willing to admit game 6 might have been fixed, but you'd think Sac would be able to win a game 7 at home if they were truly the better team.

Mike Bibby was the only clutch player on that team. The rest either shied away from the big shot (C-Webb) or threw up airballs (Christie, Stojakovic).

Allanon
10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
This beautiful man should automatically get a ring every time the Lakers do.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/SB-David-Stern-redo.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 04:17 PM
This beautiful man should automatically get a ring every time the Lakers do.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/SB-David-Stern-redo.jpg

The Church of Stern:toast

badfish22
10-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials.

sigh...that can't be good for the mavs