PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: The main Spurs are increasing

duncan228
10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
The main Spurs are increasing (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/The_main_Spurs_are_increasing.html)
Buck Harvey

The Spurs' first unit might not be the best in the division.

The Spurs' second unit might be.

“It's a legitimate argument,” said Roger Mason Jr.

It's a legitimate advantage, too, and one this franchise has never had to this extent. Besides the obvious benefit — such as saving wear and tear on Tim Duncan's new knee brace — there's something else going on.

No one is sure, right now, who should be on the first team.

Opening night can be deceiving, but last season's wasn't. Then, the Spurs lost their first opener in the Duncan era, in a tight game to Phoenix, and they continued to play tight games.

Considering the injuries, as well as limited personnel, some Spurs coaches were amazed they won the division. But all of it was a grind. In the Spurs' best years, their point differential was close to 10, and last year's was 3.8. That's a small margin for a team that won 54 games.

So Wednesday night showed the change, and Gregg Popovich emerged from the locker room and quickly noted that. “We didn't have to play our main guys 35 or 40 minutes,” he said.

But even as he said this, there was another issue. Exactly who are the “main guys?”

Told what Mason had said, Manu Ginobili smiled. Ginobili also began his response with considerable diplomacy. Arguing the second team is better, he said, would be “a little disrespectful to our All-Stars.”

Ginobili followed that, however, as if he had been talking to Mason.

“But I think we could compete,” he said.

The second unit could, and not just in the Spurs' practice facility. This group could compete in Staples Center.

They began to check into the game Wednesday with the starters struggling. Ginobili came in first, which is customary, and Antonio McDyess and Mason followed shortly after. George Hill came next, with DeJuan Blair a few minutes later.

It's about that time the Hornets stopped scoring.

Popovich didn't plan any of this. Before the game, he grabbed the seat of his pants to emphasize his rotation.

After all the practices and preseason games, he wasn't sure who could play with whom, and who deserved minutes when. He was as anxious as anyone to see what followed, and when asked who he was most intrigued to see, Popovich said what every fan would have said.

Blair. Would his game translate?

What followed further frustrated every general manager who passed on Blair. The Hornets, for example, opted for a 160-pound guard, Darren Collison, in the first round, and he scored one point in his three minutes.

Blair went for a double-double in his professional debut. And when Duncan replaced him in the second quarter, the crowd gave a rousing ovation.

But not because the best player in franchise history was returning to the game. The applause was for Blair.

This time, Blair showed off his basketball IQ, especially when he passed from the post. Afterward, however, he was unimpressed with himself.

“It's a long process,” he said. “I learned a lot going up against Chris Paul and committing some dumb fouls. I just have to get better and learn from it.”

He and McDyess won't always combine to shoot 11 of 15. But they make for a formidable tag team, with assorted parts of toughness.

Maybe Popovich eventually starts one of them, or maybe he likes this combination off the bench. Maybe he opts to start Ginobili, which he does annually for a while, or maybe it's Mason.

What is clear: Popovich headed to Chicago late Wednesday with the deepest team he's ever had. Still grabbing the seat of his pants.

EricB
10-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah who starts with this team is pretty much pointless. Its who gets the most minutes that will tell if Pop is sane.

SpursFTW
10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Great article. I LOVED looking at the boxscore on nba.com
Our bench (hell everyone) played good

wildbill2u
10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
When someone has a bad game this year there is going to be a quality guy to step in and step up.

BillMc
10-29-2009, 12:17 AM
The tough part will be figuring out who should close when the games are tight. Starting isn't important.

Pop did a nice job of balancing minutes tonight. Look at the box score.

Sean Cagney
10-29-2009, 12:19 AM
When someone has a bad game this year there is going to be a quality guy to step in and step up.

Like I said, if someone on the team or two struggles unlike years past we can still come out and win the game! Thats how deep this team is this year.

Death In June
10-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Harvey really sucks at captions. What the fuck does that even mean?

blizz
10-29-2009, 12:49 AM
what was so impressive to me was that you had starters in already...then you come in with Manu...then a few minutes later McD....then Mason and Hill and Blair...and when they get tired....TP comes back in, then Duncan, then Jefferson. it was like a revolving door of really good players. we were going at them in waves and there was nothing the hornets could do about it. i'm excited because while we've seen good players here before but we haven't seen this many good players here at the same time. it's fun to watch and as a fan it's amazing that after all these years, it's something completely NEW. i know it's only one game, and they can't all play as well as they did but wow...i'm very excited.

blizz
10-29-2009, 12:49 AM
oh and the players don't even know each other all that well...once they all start clicking and we gel....it's going to be scarey.

crc21209
10-29-2009, 01:03 AM
This team is Soooo deep it's not even funny. Can't wait to watch it all unfold...

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 01:13 AM
what was so impressive to me was that you had starters in already...then you come in with Manu...then a few minutes later McD....then Mason and Hill and Blair...and when they get tired....TP comes back in, then Duncan, then Jefferson. it was like a revolving door of really good players. we were going at them in waves and there was nothing the hornets could do about it. i'm excited because while we've seen good players here before but we haven't seen this many good players here at the same time. it's fun to watch and as a fan it's amazing that after all these years, it's something completely NEW. i know it's only one game, and they can't all play as well as they did but wow...i'm very excited.

exactly!

mystargtr34
10-29-2009, 01:19 AM
As much as it is about who finishes games, i would still rather start McDyess to get that defense and toughness from the get go. No easy points or rebounds at all, and apply pressure on the oppoition to score.

The only problem then is that you have combination problems as you want to avoid playing Bonner and Blair together. Either way i think within a month Blair will have taken the majority of Bonner's minutes, not to mention McDyess will be a full fledged Spur - so Bonner can go to a role more suited to his ability, about 15 MPG.

mystargtr34
10-29-2009, 01:20 AM
http://http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/photos#photoViewer=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cg etty%3A20050301%3Anba%2Cphoto%2C512801d977ed68e689 6574ba3586fcf7-getty-90040606cc019_hornets_spurs%3A1

SenorSpur
10-29-2009, 01:30 AM
A strong and deep bench, and a healthy Tim and Manu, will be the key ingredients for a successful season. This team is already light years ahead of the one that we last saw losing to Dallas in the playoffs.

jason1301
10-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Hahaha I called it, TP Fin RJ Bonner and TD thats an awesome starting five. The same guys minus RJ last year were a terrific regular season team and this year they are better. ]

Manu, Mason, G Hill, Dice and Blair coming off the bench is just insane. Too good too pass. I am excited :)

EricB
10-29-2009, 01:38 AM
I'll be interested to see what happens about 12 games in. When McDyess gets into shape, learns the system a little more and a little more and looks better and better, does Pop start him? If Bonner is doing well, does he disrupt things? If Mason plays well off the bench does he supplant Finley or does Pop try not to mess with things? Its a catch 22. Said player coming off the bench is doing great, do you give him a starting spot? Or do you keep things the same?

#2!
10-29-2009, 02:58 AM
McDyess can start if the defense isn't where Pop wants it to be, but due to the heavy amount of player rotations taking place throughout the games this season it will only for tone-setting purposes.

I used to think Bonner and Blair being on the court together would be an issue, but after seeing it a few times I believe it won't be a big issue in smaller amounts. Bonner's ability to spread the floor seems to benefit Blair as much as anybody, allowing him to go one-on-one for rebounds as well as pass out of the post if someone sags in on him.

The games will get tougher of course, but I'm excited about this teams ability to handle their business with the weaker teams, and conserving PT as they see fit. And when the "main guys" stand out of the group, and have to play big minute games, I think Pop could still try and use his approach from the opener. In waves, just like everyone has been calling it, is how Pop should work the rotation (although it was just to see how things looked last night). We can use our depth of talent and D to just smother teams like we used to do with our pace and defense.

I predict the spurs to be in the top 3 of at least 4 of the following: Rebounding, Assist/TO ratio, Assist/FG ratio, Point differential, Opp PPG, 3pt %, FG%, Def Rebounds, Off/Def Efficiency.

fyatuk
10-29-2009, 07:52 AM
If Mason plays well off the bench does he supplant Finley or does Pop try not to mess with things?

I'd hope not. Finley is only worth giving time to if he's starting. He turns to crap on the bench.

SpurNation
10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Finley logged less time than Mason last night. That's fine with me that he starts. With the emergence of RJ along with Tony and Tim...that's still a great starting 5 withstanding Bonner if Bonner can't get it going early.

What's even more impressive is the second unit of Hill, Ginobili, Mason, Blair and McDyess....that's a starting five on just about half the teams in the league.

If the chemistry and conditioning continue to improve...and it should with time...the Spurs won't have a 2nd unit but rather 2 starting units for 48 minutes.

:wow

DBMethos
10-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Exactly what I was thinking last night...this team comes at you in waves! No rest for the weary. We'll be tiring opponents out by the middle of the 2nd quarter. :hat

greyforest
10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
If the chemistry and conditioning continue to improve...and it should with time...the Spurs won't have a 2nd unit but rather 2 starting units for 48 minutes.

it was like this back in '03 and '05

florige
10-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Someone else brought up a good point in another thread. We beat a damn good Hornets team with Duncan only scoring 9 points?! I know its only one game, but we looked good!

spursncowboys
10-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Did yall hear one of the commentators talk about the debate of starting TD or Blair? If Duncan's vertical doesn't improve, that might actually be valid. TD is still the man, and he should close games. But we might need that early burst. This is awesome. I haven't been this excited in the beginning of a season since we got Derrick Anderson. Maybe getting Jax and speedy.

Kool Bob Love
10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
it was like this back in '03 and '05

HELL YEAH! :hat:hat:hat

tmtcsc
10-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Richard Jefferson didn't score too much last night but it was great to see a player other than Manu and Tony taking the ball to the rim. That's awesome. We really needed someone who could do that.

Whisky Dog
10-29-2009, 09:05 AM
It appears the way Pop is thinking is he needs Bonner and Finley out on the floor together with Parker and Duncan for stretches to no only open things up for Duncan but to also cause defenses to have to rotate hard on defense to keep with the shooters. In the 1sr quarter last night that didn't go so well but when Bonner and Finley started hitting 3s later it worked pretty well. The only problem is defense can be shaky with that lineup. Now the lineup of Hill, Manu, Mason, McD, and Blair is intriguing because it completely shut down the Hornets last night while also gashing them inside and out to build the big double digit lead. I think Pop might be able to substitute Jefferson in that lineup for Mason and get a great result as well. It's like they have 2 main lineups - the 1st one will spread you out and make you commit to either Duncan or 3 pt shooters while also trying to keep Parker out of the lane and the 2nd one will lock you down and make you deal with a lot of length and ability to attack the lane and get to the rim.

Whisky Dog
10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Did yall hear one of the commentators talk about the debate of starting TD or Blair? If Duncan's vertical doesn't improve, that might actually be valid. TD is still the man, and he should close games. But we might need that early burst. This is awesome. I haven't been this excited in the beginning of a season since we got Derrick Anderson. Maybe getting Jax and speedy.

He was joking based off how good Blair looked and the crowd's reaction to him. Pop would be insane to do something stupid like that.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2009, 09:10 AM

That was a joke referring to him being a fan favorite. Nobody in their right mind would even consider that valid other than hysterical Spurs fans.

Dex
10-29-2009, 10:04 AM
2nd unit came out and literally shut down the Hornets. The game was still tight until that bench hit the floor; it was a blowout for the rest of the way.

Encouraging signs for Spurs fans: tu

Mr. Body
10-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Richard Jefferson didn't score too much last night but it was great to see a player other than Manu and Tony taking the ball to the rim. That's awesome. We really needed someone who could do that.

1. Jefferson might be a better passer than I thought. He had some sweet looks.

2. He's an instant threat off the dribble.

3. His chemistry with Duncan already looks good, after playing together a few years back.

anakha
10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
If last night is any indication. the current second unit is very capable of shredding other second units on both ends of the floor.

NFGIII
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Me too. I haven't seen this type of bench in a while. It is so deep that with the continuing improvement likely to happen Pop will be able to limit the minutes of TD, Manu and others and at the same time give the younger players more time on the floor.

A strong and deep bench, and a healthy Tim and Manu, will be the key ingredients for a successful season. This team is already light years ahead of the one that we last saw losing to Dallas in the playoffs.

:tu. key words - light years.

Night and day.

I'll be interested to see what happens about 12 games in. When McDyess gets into shape, learns the system a little more and a little more and looks better and better, does Pop start him? If Bonner is doing well, does he disrupt things? If Mason plays well off the bench does he supplant Finley or does Pop try not to mess with things? Its a catch 22. Said player coming off the bench is doing great, do you give him a starting spot? Or do you keep things the same?

I was wondering the same thing, too. Pop is in a very nice position. If this continues what does he do? The old saying comes to mind "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but Pop has also shuffled the rotation depending on who the opponent is. This is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

If last night is any indication. the current second unit is very capable of shredding other second units on both ends of the floor.

Right on. Our second unit out scores the Hornet's second unit 30-0 in the first half? Damn that is an unbelievable stat. Fun times are back!

But one thing that I can't answer just yet is - Are we this good or are the Hornets that bad? I had no idea that the Spurs would come out and start the season this smoking hot. I thought that they would struggle somewhat due to all the newcomers. Looks like they are in mid season form with much improvement to come.

:flag: