PDA

View Full Version : Rosen: Spurs get off to a great start

duncan228
10-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Spurs get off to a great start (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/10283202/Spurs-get-off-to-a-great-start)
by Charley Rosen

Game Time: Spurs 113, Hornets 96

One game does not a season make, but the ease with which San Antonio drubbed New Orleans raises an important question:

Is San Antonio this good?

At the very least, the Spurs proved that they're a big-time ball club.

* They made the extra pass on literally every possession. Indeed, their ball-reversals opened up uncontested shots for just about everybody.

* They set formidable screens all over the court but concentrated on elbow-high screens and weak-side screens. The resulting curls, pops and handoffs resulted in even more open shots.

* Tim Duncan studiously avoided setting up in the low post. Consequently, the middle was always open to accommodate drivers and cutters.

* Tony Parker had his way against Chris Paul, slashing deep into the paint and either converting tricky layups or kicking assist-passes out to unattended baseline shooters.

* Manu Ginobili was also up to his old tricks, filling the bucket with jumpers and/or crossing over to his left, and eventually winding up in the shadow of the hoop.

* Matt Bonner, Michael Finley and Roger Mason all had hot hands from the outlands. As ever, the key to the Spurs' fortunes will be their ability to consistently hit their outside shots. If they can accomplish this, they can beat any and all comers. If not, they'll struggle to compete with the league's elite ball clubs.

* Antonio McDyess knows where to go and how to get there.

* George Hill's adhesive defense, driving flippers and long-distance bombs demonstrated why he's Gregg Popovich's favorite player.

* DeJuan Blair can clean the offensive glass without using a ladder — and he even knocked down a 15-foot jumper.

* Richard Jefferson was aggressive with the ball, made several terrific passes on the move, executed flawless defensive rotations and didn't give Peja Sojakovic room to breathe.

* On defense, the Spurs challenged every pass and every passing lane while still providing excellent in-the-paint help.

* The firepower off the bench was overwhelming.

* At both ends of the court, the Spurs played with championship-caliber precision.

* In fact, it looks like the only way to beat San Antonio is to match their ball movement and to consistently drop long-distance shots.

What did they do wrong?

* Starting the fourth quarter with a humongous lead, the second unit played some unforgivable sloppy defense.

* David West went right at Matt Bonner for fun and profit.

* Blair made rookie mistakes on defense.

* McDyess had difficulty defending anybody who could turn, face and go.

* Worst of all, their transition defense was much too spotty.
So, the answer to the leading question is this: Yes, the Spurs are this good.

But there's one more question that's just as unavoidable: Are the Hornets this bad?

A detailed answer to this query will be addressed when it's New Orleans' turn to be investigated. But a preliminary response is, "Yes, they probably are."

Spursfanfromafar
10-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Great post by Rosen. Is there a Timvp game thoughts in the making? Waiting eagerly.

celldweller
10-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Great post by Rosen. Is there a Timvp game thoughts in the making? Waiting eagerly.

:rolleyes

Danny.Zhu
10-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Great observation on the flaws.

kromediablo
10-29-2009, 01:20 AM
<p>
Great observation on the flaws.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

EricB
10-29-2009, 01:24 AM
McDyess being out of shape and it being early would explain his troubles.

Not worried at ALL bout Dice.

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Good article
I'm also hoping timvp gets an article out

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2009, 01:31 AM
I remember 'Dice getting beat by David West on the baseline, but I don't remember any other moments like that..he does still need to get in shape though, as he's said himself..

SenorSpur
10-29-2009, 01:40 AM
If this game was any indication, imagine what this team will look like when everyone is in shape, the new players completely learn the offense, and everyone is on the same page?

crc21209
10-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Rosen writing a positive article about the Spurs? Say it aint so! :lol

EricB
10-29-2009, 01:54 AM
If this game was any indication, imagine what this team will look like when everyone is in shape, the new players completely learn the offense, and everyone is on the same page?

Yeah theres part of you that wants to be damn excited another part that wants to temper saying "its game 1, New Orleans is not a sgood as they used to be"

You really don't know which way to go.

SenorSpur
10-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Yeah theres part of you that wants to be damn excited another part that wants to temper saying "its game 1, New Orleans is not a sgood as they used to be"

You really don't know which way to go.

Exactly. Tempered expectations IS the best approach right now.

After last year's painful realization that most of us knew was coming and what we all witnessed in Dallas, during the playoffs, I will say that this season is gonna be a one damn, fine, ride.

Pentagruel
10-29-2009, 03:04 AM
Rosen writing a positive article about the Spurs? Say it aint so! :lol

I love all of Rosen's articles, even when they are not positive of the Spurs. He is one of the few sports writers that doesn't just write the popular opinion. He has written many critical articles of players such as Chris Paul and Lebron James for example. I really tire of hearing how fantastic Lebron or Kobe or Wade is (though he writes a great deal about the Lakers), when they too have obvious flaws. Rosen also covers a lot of different teams and breaks down the games a little bit more then most cliches. Further more, his writing is of higher quality then the average sports writer which is somewhat refreshing to read.

Probably the thing I dislike most about his writing is that he covers the Lakers a bit overmuch. This can mostly be attributed to his friendship with Phil Jackson. The other point on Rosen is that he has a clear dislike for finesse players and he prefers big men and bruisers; physical play in other words (probably because that is what he was when he played). Sometimes he unfairly criticizes certain finesse players (calls them soft) but regardless, its a lot more interesting to read then the average sports writers article which I can most likely write myself.