PDA

View Full Version : Spurs won't pick Mahinmi's option for 2010-2011

Bruno
10-29-2009, 05:12 AM
The info is in today's french newspaper L'Equipe.

Mahinmi confirmed the news: "Pop told me that I've played well in the preseason but that it wasn't enough"

Popo>Phil
10-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Feel bad for Ian, but that was my prediction...

MaNuMaNiAc
10-29-2009, 05:21 AM
This sort of shit happens with a team this deep. Godspeed

SKINNYPIMP210
10-29-2009, 05:23 AM
That sucks I liked Mahinmi

10-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Not all is lost. Mahinmi is still on the team. If he can show he can play, he'll still get a chance at a spurs contract over the offseason.

Manufan909
10-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Not all is lost. Mahinmi is still on the team. If he can show he can play, he'll still get a chance at a spurs contract over the offseason.

Indeed. Ian has had bad luck go against him more than anything. If he had played last season, he might be starting now, and Haislip/Theo wouldn't have been signed. Tim/Ian/Blair/Dyess/Bonner is still damn deep.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2009, 05:28 AM
The Spurs obviously think it's worth risking having to pay him even more if he shows he can stick, and he's got trade value either way.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-29-2009, 05:29 AM
A bit surprising, but it may work out for the best for both sides if the Spurs manage to bring Splitter next year and Mahinmi finds a team where he'd get some minutes to improve.Being the 6th big in the roatation and looking nowhere near moving up this year or next will not help his cause.

Good luch to him.

DespЏrado
10-29-2009, 05:34 AM
I don't think this is a bad decision at all. Ian is a great kid, and I wish him all the best. But I predicted this when I famously said this offseason that his cap was much closer to that of an Elson like player than a David West like player. He's good enough to compete for a backup role on a bad team, but in his best interest he really should go back over seas to see if he can find some hunger to play here again.

Good luck Ian. Play your heart out, you still get to live the dream a little while longer, and might just earn a niche somewhere.

Bruno
10-29-2009, 05:53 AM
Now, the best for both sides is a trade.

Ian needs to play basketball to improve and it won't be with Spurs.

Spurs don't need to have 7 bigs. I rather see them giving playing time to Haislip than Mahinmi because Haislip is also locked for 2010-2011. Tradign Mahinmi will alllow Spurs to save some money. A trade like Mahinmi + cash to pay his salary + $200K as incentive for nothing will save Spurs $800K because of the luxury tax.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2009, 05:55 AM

Spurs don't need to have 7 bigs. I rather see them giving playing time to Haislip than Mahinmi because Haislip is also locked for 2010-2011. Tradign Mahinmi will alllow Spurs to save some money. A trade like Mahinmi + cash to pay his salary + $200K as incentive for nothing will save Spurs $800K because of the luxury tax.

If the Spurs continue to blow folks out maybe they can get Ian a little burn to showcase him. :)

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Unfortunately, never thought he'd get it

Danny.Zhu
10-29-2009, 06:03 AM
What a pity.

ceperez
10-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Does make sense.

If an expiring contract is enough motivation for Mahinmi to step up his game, and if he does, then re-signing him for a higher figure may also make sense.

It's a bit of a gamble, however the Spurs do have several other good players also in expiring contracts (i.e. Ginobili, Mason, Bonner).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-29-2009, 06:45 AM
The info is in today's french newspaper L'Equipe.

Mahinmi confirmed the news: "Pop told me that I've played well in the preseason but that it wasn't enough"

You predicted that too, props. :tu

Bonner+Finley+Mahinmi = intriguing package for some team looking for expirings and youth.

If the Spurs continue to blow folks out maybe they can get Ian a little burn to showcase him. :)

Now that's the spirit! :)

PS I am not hating on Bonley in saying that, I'm just pointing out that if they were moved for the right piece to put us over the top against the Lakers I'd do it. But who is available to counter Odom in the 6-7mil range?

KidCongo
10-29-2009, 06:55 AM
2nd round pick and cash from the Cavaliers, we need a young C.

Mel_13
10-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Does make sense.

If an expiring contract is enough motivation for Mahinmi to step up his game, and if he does, then re-signing him for a higher figure may also make sense.

It's a bit of a gamble, however the Spurs do have several other good players also in expiring contracts (i.e. Ginobili, Mason, Bonner).

Spurs would be outbid by any team willing to pay more than 1.78M.

eisfeld
10-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Wonder if he's worth anything on the market. But I doubt we could get anything better than a 2nd rounder for him. Sad that he didn't turn out to be a good player.

TIMMYD!
10-29-2009, 07:10 AM
I don't think he'll play much this year, but at least he makes a good trade incentive.

ElNono
10-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Called it. So much for the next defensive anchor...
He's officially trade filler now...

DPG21920
10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Well that sucks.

exstatic
10-29-2009, 07:42 AM
So far, I'm 2 out of 3. My call was:
Hill - option accepted
Ian - option declined
Malik - released soon after 3 Nov

Not a good sign for Malik that he was in a suit last night. Looks like, at this point, he's just injury insurance until the pro-rated guaranteed portion of his contract is up. I'd be happy to be wrong on this one, but I don't think it'll happen.

all_heart
10-29-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm not surprised, he's just now healthy and will take him some time to get where he needs to be, especially on this team. I really had some hope for him too. It seems like he needs more confidence, he plays well for the Toros but then he stalls on the NBA level. IMO it would be in his best interest to play in Europe for a few years and then try a comeback. He's still young, so it's not like he'll be over the hill should he return to the NBA. Can the Spurs still send him to the Toros? Would it even matter?

CGD
10-29-2009, 07:50 AM
If we really want him, after this season we can alway try to get him via FA next summer (probably for cheaper than 1.8M too). Spurs have a "knowledge advantage" vis-a-vis other potential FA bidders since many teams haven't really observed Ian. This won't change unless somehow Ian gets significant minutes this season.

Sadly for Ian, the Splitter sage resumes next summer which may make him less desired by the Spurs. Best bet is to try to get something in exchange for him via trade.

MaNu4Tres
10-29-2009, 07:51 AM
I had a feeling 3.5 million was too much for a 6th big.

all_heart
10-29-2009, 07:53 AM
So far, I'm 2 out of 3. My call was:
Hill - option accepted
Ian - option declined
Malik - released soon after 3 Nov

Not a good sign for Malik that he was in a suit last night. Looks like, at this point, he's just injury insurance until the pro-rated guaranteed portion of his contract is up. I'd be happy to be wrong on this one, but I don't think it'll happen.

A player like Malik needs to suit up and get some minutes. His energy and athleticism is going to be needed as the season goes on and of course the playoffs. Same goes for Haislip. Hopefully they'll focus on D in practice and earn some NBA minutes. All those open jump shots will fade pretty fast going against the better teams, we are going to need players that can attack the basket.

benefactor
10-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Sucks for Ian, but this wasn't unexpected. Hopefully he can get traded to a team that can use him.

MaNu4Tres
10-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I guess Spurs FO are all xenophobe's right Bruno.

Whisky Dog
10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
The Spurs were patient but then the beast came along and showed what a real NBA young player should do.

bigfan
10-29-2009, 08:47 AM
The Spurs were patient but then the beast came along and showed what a real NBA young player should do.

Exactly damn right. We can wait for Splitter.

Danny.Zhu
10-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Exactly damn right. We can wait for Splitter.

Only if we could get him eventually...

phyzik
10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Ian for S-Jax!!! :lol

tmtcsc
10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
The guy did absolutely nothing to deserve an extension. He may be a good player in the future but he really hasn't done anything to warrant a guarantee.

From his interviews, he seems to say all the right things. The fact is, when he's on the court, more times than not, he's invisible.

Contrast him with a Blair. When he's on the court, he makes it a point to make a difference in the game. That may not be fair but its the truth.

wildbill2u
10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Another athletic fan favorite (James White, James Gist, etc.) without enough skills to stick and break into the rotation.

Makes you wonder about how important mere 'hops' are doesnt it?

SenorSpur
10-29-2009, 08:54 AM
This sucks for Ian. I understand the Spurs reasoning, but I still wonder about the decision. In 2 years, Duncan and Dice will likely be gone. There's no guarantees on Splitter being here and the biggest factor on Ian is that he's just 22 years old. There just aren't very many 22 year-old, athletic, bigs hanging around. He's still got tremendous upside.

I don't like the decision in theory, but if they can at least get something for him via trade, all will not be lost.

Mel_13
10-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Another athletic fan favorite (James White, James Gist, etc.) without enough skills to stick and break into the rotation.

In the immortal words of Sir Charles:

"They run like deer, jump like deer, and think like deer."

Mr. Body
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Can't afford the guaranteed money to him at this point. They're betting to resign him more cheaply next summer, and my bet is they will. He'll remain a Spur.

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 10:46 AM
sad, but no surprise. like kwame brown, ian has the physique, but no natural aptitude for the game. not his fault.

picnroll
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
The absolute worst thing that can happen to Mahinmi is to spend the year in a coat and tie behind the Spurs bench. Hopefully, for his sake, he's traded to a sucky team with desperate need for big men and he can get on the floor.

wildbill2u
10-29-2009, 11:01 AM
In the immortal words of Sir Charles:

"They run like deer, jump like deer, and think like deer."

You failed to add one of his finishing lines that he usually tags onto your quote: "But you don't see many deer playing in the NBA."

Interrohater
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
He's got all season to show something to the Spurs during the practice sessions, if he finally gets up to speed after the year off, then maybe they'll try and resign him as a FA. I honestly thought that they would pick up the option just to be able to trade him in the summer, but I guess not.

I do think that Dejuan Blair's emergence had something to do with it. Maybe if he were not standing next to Dejuan during the preseason games, he wouldn't have looked so lifeless.

thispego
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't think this is a bad decision at all. Ian is a great kid, and I wish him all the best. But I predicted this when I famously said this offseason that his cap was much closer to that of an Elson like player than a David West like player. He's good enough to compete for a backup role on a bad team, but in his best interest he really should go back over seas to see if he can find some hunger to play here again.

Good luck Ian. Play your heart out, you still get to live the dream a little while longer, and might just earn a niche somewhere.

:lol

angelbelow
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
I've lost a lot of optimism for this guy, hopefully he continues to work hard though and things work out for him.

rjv
10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
methinks this means the spurs FO will be expecting a former first round pick from brazil to be coming over next year

dbestpro
10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
A player like Malik needs to suit up and get some minutes. His energy and athleticism is going to be needed as the season goes on and of course the playoffs. Same goes for Haislip. Hopefully they'll focus on D in practice and earn some NBA minutes. All those open jump shots will fade pretty fast going against the better teams, we are going to need players that can attack the basket.

Malik will get plenty of playing time in Austin.:hat

z0sa
10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
the spurs were patient but then the beast came along and showed what a real nba young player should do.

qfmft

lennyalderette
10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
his mind needs to be tougher along with his body, if he can bulk up those leg muscles then watch out. but when i saw him up close he looked really fragile

SenorSpur
10-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Can't afford the guaranteed money to him at this point. They're betting to resign him more cheaply next summer, and my bet is they will. He'll remain a Spur.

Now I could go for that. I agree that the 1.8 is too much for him, I just don't think it's wise to give up on this guy yet. Especially considering the team will need more bolstering to the frontline in 2 years.

ceperez
10-29-2009, 01:58 PM
methinks this means the spurs FO will be expecting a former first round pick from brazil to be coming over next year

That's a very intriguing angle.

NFGIII
10-29-2009, 02:25 PM
A bit surprising, but it may work out for the best for both sides if the Spurs manage to bring Splitter next year and Mahinmi finds a team where he'd get some minutes to improve.Being the 6th big in the roatation and looking nowhere near moving up this year or next will not help his cause.

Good luch to him.

Splitter coming over would seal the deal against Ian.IMHO Though I'm still out jury wise on Ian his leaving the Spurs either trade or otherwise might be the best for him at this point. The kid has had a tough time with injuries and all.

Bonner+Finley+Mahinmi = intriguing package for some team looking for expirings and youth.

With this economy that might happen. Look what we give up to the Bucks to get RJ. All the Bucks wanted was to cut salary considering they went in any position to make a serious run at the title.

This sucks for Ian. I understand the Spurs reasoning, but I still wonder about the decision. In 2 years, Duncan and Dice will likely be gone. There's no guarantees on Splitter being here and the biggest factor on Ian is that he's just 22 years old. There just aren't very many 22 year-old, athletic, bigs hanging around. He's still got tremendous upside.

I don't like the decision in theory, but if they can at least get something for him via trade, all will not be lost.

Yeah that kid being 6'11" and only 22 is why I'm still out jury wise on Ian. But considering the team's makeup how is he going to get the minutes to achieve his potential? I duno about that one. Will he ever is something many of us on this board are wondering. Some have already come to a conclusion that this experiment should cease and it's time to move on.

beachwood
10-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Not surprised at all. Seems like a good guy, but hasn't shown much to reward him with an extension. I hope he can stay healthy and get some playing time eventually.

EricB
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't understand the reasoning behind giving up on a 22 year old unless his work ethic is crap.

All indications are that he works hard. Good character. 22 years old and the guy won't improve?? IMO bad move.

ducks
10-29-2009, 05:25 PM
The absolute worst thing that can happen to Mahinmi is to spend the year in a coat and tie behind the Spurs bench. Hopefully, for his sake, he's traded to a sucky team with desperate need for big men and he can get on the floor.

for him
for the spurs that is almost the best
sign him for cheaper and work with him in practice
let him scrimmage theo and duncan and blair

bigdog
10-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't understand the move at all, unless they figure that having him in a contract year will make him work harder.
The dude is 22 years old, and hasn't played a lot in the past year. I see no reason to give up on him, especially when you have an older Ratliff who has had his history of injuries.

PDXSpursFan
10-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Ratliff = proven veteran
Ian = sucks

Thompson
10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't understand the move at all, unless they figure that having him in a contract year will make him work harder.
The dude is 22 years old, and hasn't played a lot in the past year. I see no reason to give up on him, especially when you have an older Ratliff who has had his history of injuries.

I'm hoping that's the reason (extra motivation). Ian is young and hasn't played in a year, it will take time to return to form. And as for people saying he's just a physical specimen without the aptitude for basketball, he was the best center in the D-league a couple years ago before his injury; he has some offensive talent, I watched him play a few times late that year and was very excited to see him come over.

This does not necessarily mean they're giving up on Ian.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
The dude is 22 years old, and hasn't played a lot in the past year. I see no reason to give up on him, especially when you have an older Ratliff who has had his history of injuries.It is understandable when the other contracts and potential luxury tax hit are taken into account. I mean, if you project next season's big man lineup to be basically this season's with Splitter in place of Ratliff, there isn't any room for Ian. At best they would want to bring him back at the minimum, but who knows who else might be available in the draft or free agency.

I hope the Spurs can swing a trade that sends Ian to a place he can actually play, or waive him if that doesn't happen by the deadline.

tp2021
10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I think a trade would be best for all parties involved

senorglory
10-29-2009, 06:06 PM

I read a scout's take on the Spurs recently, I think in the SportingNews, that described Mahinmi as an exceptional athlete, with no feel for the game of basketball.

I can't recall ever seeing him play during his injury filled time with the Spurs, so I have no idea.

tp2021
10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
How sad. He's a lame duck before he even got a legit chance.

raspsa
10-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Mahinmi has sit down and take stock of his situation. Pop has just sent him a clear message.. if he wants to stay in the NBA he has to get his act together and dedicate himself to improving his game. I actrually think Pop thinks or hopes he can motivate Ian with this move. Otherwise, if they picked up his option, I think Ian would become complacent and just coast along.. he needs whatever is burning inside of DeJuan.. that fire to compete and dominate.. its all up to Ian.. Pop likes to observe how people act under adversity and its up to Ian to show he won't back down from the challenge.. we'll see if he really has the desire or if he will just go back to Europe where he feels more comfortable.

exstatic
10-29-2009, 06:42 PM

If you mean after he's released, then yes. There are two things that won't happen this year:

The Spurs will not pay Malik to sit in a suit.

The Spurs will not pay Malik an NBA salary to play in Austin, even though they have the option to do so.

Marcus Bryant
10-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Mahinmi has sit down and take stock of his situation. Pop has just sent him a clear message.. if he wants to stay in the NBA he has to get his act together and dedicate himself to improving his game.

How do we know Mahinmi has not? He missed almost a year due to injury.

exstatic
10-29-2009, 06:45 PM

He's the SIXTH big, which means his chances of improving or showing ANYTHING this year are virtually nil. My guess is, barring injuries, Ian will wear the suit 60-70 times this year. He just not going to dress, let alone play.

symple19
10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Didn't read the whole thread, so I'm probably going to say what some others have. THANK GOODNESS!!!!!! This guy has been a bum (basketball-wise) from the get-go. Good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the way out...Or do, who cares?

flox
10-29-2009, 06:58 PM
please trade him for a player we could use like sean williams...

tlongII
10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
It's all about the money.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2009, 07:06 PM
who cares?Apparently all the haters in this thread.

ulosturedge
10-29-2009, 07:17 PM

Malik will get some nba time as soon as Bogans keeps showing he has nothing extra to offer the team. Malik has way more upside then Bogans.

Yes I am a Bogan hater.

montgod
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I kinda figured that would happen when he didn't play a minute of our last game. At this point, the Spurs should try to showcase him during blow-outs to see if we can get a trading partner instead of just letting him leave for nothing.

Honestly, it would be nice to try and trade him, Bonner, and Finley for Camby... but it wouldn't work cap-wise. Nice thought though....

exstatic
10-29-2009, 09:30 PM
please trade him for a player we could use like sean williams...

Sean Williams is a psychopath. I'm sure NJ would do this in a heartbeat. I'm sure SA wouldn't.

Sigz
10-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Ian sucks. Let's trade him and his glassgina.

angelbelow
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't understand the reasoning behind giving up on a 22 year old unless his work ethic is crap.

All indications are that he works hard. Good character. 22 years old and the guy won't improve?? IMO bad move.

Yea.. something has to give.. i wonder exactly what it is.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
He has not proven a single thing to us since he's been on the roster.
His fragility cost him a chance to be a part of this franchise. Perhaps we move Theo to the IR to keep him fresh for playoffs then give Ian some burn. When we do it'll be his last chance.

Austin_Toros
10-29-2009, 09:50 PM
all those aspirations people placed on mahinmi just came crashing down

Tully365
10-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Surprising, given that he is a Savior.

exstatic
10-29-2009, 10:01 PM

What it is, is they saw a 20 YO big man come in and play solid fundamental smart basketball, and realized that Ian is a deer, and not a basketball player.

exstatic
10-29-2009, 10:03 PM

Hard work and good character won't turn a deer into a basketball player.

montgod
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM

I don't think it's a big secret or something juicy more that just the addition of Blair and the salary cap. Once you go over the cap this much, there is some accountability at the FO level. And that would most likely eliminate "projects" like Ian who have had a three year shelf life with no return. If he had lit up the preseason like Hibbert or Speights, I believe his option might have been picked up. Otherwise, all he has been is an injury-prone player full of potential.

I also think that the possibility of Splitter coming over factored into his option not being picked up.

montgod
10-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Exactly.

slick'81
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
he doesnt deserve it. he might not even get off the ir this season

montgod
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
he doesnt deserve it. he might not even get off the ir this season

Haha... don't you mean inactive list? I don't think the NBA has an IR anymore... that's the NFL.

slick'81
10-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Haha... don't you mean inactive list? I don't think the NBA has an IR anymore... that's the NFL.

still :hat

SenorSpur
10-29-2009, 10:18 PM

:tu

Bruno
10-30-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't get why some of you are trying to find strange reasons like Spurs didn't pick the option to motivate him, while the reason of this choice is as obvious as it can be. Spurs haven't picked his option because they think that Mahinmi isn't good enough.

And all signs point in the direction that this choice was an easy one for Spurs. Ian got a DNP-CD and enter in the 4th quarter after all the other PF/C for the last 2 preseason games. Spurs could also have activated him for the first 3 regular season games before the deadline to pick the option but they opt not to do so. Spurs have been sure about what to do with Ian's option year for at least 2 weeks and they didn't need to see more of him.

angelbelow
10-30-2009, 02:06 AM

:lmao that was a good one. That's very true.. but I was hoping that Ian was not a deer. He appears to have some basketball instinct but ultimately, I trust the FO.

Blackjack
10-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Spurs Will Not Pick Up Option on Ian Mahinmi
by Timothy Varner

Ian Mahinmi’s career continues down a challenging path. French language sources are reporting that the Spurs will not exercise their option on Mahinmi. I spoke with Bouna Ndaiye, Ian Mahinmi’s agent, and confirmed the French language reports.

What does this mean for Ian Mahinmi and the Spurs moving forward?

- Continued - (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/10/29/spurs-will-not-pick-up-option-on-ian-mahinmi/)

Mel_13
10-30-2009, 02:23 AM
I don't get why some of you are trying to find strange reasons like Spurs didn't pick the option to motivate him, while the reason of this choice is as obvious as it can be. Spurs haven't picked his option because they think that Mahinmi isn't good enough.

And all signs point in the direction that this choice was an easy one for Spurs. Ian got a DNP-CD and enter in the 4th quarter after all the other PF/C for the last 2 preseason games. Spurs could also have activated him for the first 3 regular season games before the deadline to pick the option but they opt not to do so. Spurs have been sure about what to do with Ian's option year for at least 2 weeks and they didn't need to see more of him.

You predicted this some time ago. Unfortunately, you were right.

I'm also amazed that so many are trying to imagine a scenario where Ian shows enough for the Spurs to want to keep next year, but not enough that some other team would offer more than 1.8M.

At this point, a trade is best for both parties.

objective
10-31-2009, 05:10 AM
not picking up the option and not playing him is a mistake.

TDMVPDPOY
10-31-2009, 05:19 AM
for 3 years hasnt shown shit, and you wanna pick up his option which pays him more than what he has done nothing for this team...

callo1
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
No suprise really.

Spurs are making the right move.

In Tiago we trust!

JustinJDW
10-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Good thing Splitter is coming over. :toast

bluebellmaniac
10-31-2009, 02:06 PM

+1

Bruno speaks the truth. Just wanting the best for Ian though. Hope he continues to grow wherever he ends up.

galvatron3000
10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
So do you think he will stay on the roster for most of the year and possibly get traded near the deadline or just finish the season on the bench as a reserve?

Darkwaters
10-31-2009, 02:12 PM
So do you think he will stay on the roster for most of the year and possibly get traded near the deadline or just finish the season on the bench as a reserve?

Well at this point hes just as desirable a trade asset as Finley or Bonner (if not more so). So I'd say the Spurs will probably try and make a trade and Mahinmi is very likely to be included. But much like the Camby trade or last year and the JR Smith/Arvydas Macijauskas trade of a few before, they don't always come through.

galvatron3000
10-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Well at this point hes just as desirable a trade asset as Finley or Bonner (if not more so). So I'd say the Spurs will probably try and make a trade and Mahinmi is very likely to be included. But much like the Camby trade or last year and the JR Smith/Arvydas Macijauskas trade of a few before, they don't always come through.

Well, I was hoping someone would bite since he is young and a Big. Sad it's not the 90's when everybody was trying to find the next (young) Garnett (out of High School unproven) someone would be beating our door down of course we'd probably picked up his option too, lol.

I'm hoping we can get something out of Ian either his play or an asset.

duncan228
10-31-2009, 10:06 PM
They caught up.

L'Equipe: No extension for Mahinmi (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/lequipe-no-exte.html)
By Mike Monroe

According to the French sports publication, the Spurs have told forward-center Ian Mahinmi they have decided not to extend his rookie scale contract.

Mahinmi will become an unrestricted free agent at season's end.

Though Saturday was the deadline for extending rookie-scale contracts, per the league's collective bargaining agreement with its players' union, the deadline had been extended until the close of business on Monday, since Oct. this year fell on a Saturday, when the NBA offices are closed.

The Truth #6
10-31-2009, 10:25 PM
They caught up.

L'Equipe: No extension for Mahinmi (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/lequipe-no-exte.html)
By Mike Monroe

According to the French sports publication, the Spurs have told forward-center Ian Mahinmi they have decided not to extend his rookie scale contract.

Mahinmi will become an unrestricted free agent at season's end.

Though Saturday was the deadline for extending rookie-scale contracts, per the league's collective bargaining agreement with its players' union, the deadline had been extended until the close of business on Monday, since Oct. this year fell on a Saturday, when the NBA offices are closed.

Any reason why Monroe has to quote a French newspaper instead of just asking the Spurs?

clubalien
10-31-2009, 10:33 PM
dice was out and we had a blow of and still ian was given very few mins this game(spurs vs kins ie the bat game)

ElNono
10-31-2009, 10:35 PM
dice was out and we had a blow of and still ian was given very few mins this game(spurs vs kins ie the bat game)

Very few? He was in street clothes behind the bench...

Russ
10-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Any reason why Monroe has to quote a French newspaper instead of just asking the Spurs?

The Spurs may not make any announcement. The option simply lapses when not renewed.

The Spurs have always been a "player friendly" outfit.

They may feel that there is no need to make an announcement about not excercising an option -- it would just show up the player. That is especially true since the player will be on the roster for another 8 months or so.

exstatic
10-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Very few? He was in street clothes behind the bench...
Yeah, not a good sign. They send Dice home and still keep Ian in a suit.

completely deck
10-31-2009, 11:17 PM

He SUCKS

Bruno
11-01-2009, 06:56 AM

There is a deadline to give to refs the active roster list (IIRC it's one hour before the tip-off).
They should have decided to send McDyess home after this deadline otherwise it makes no sense not to have activate one of Mahinmi, Haislip or Hairston.