PDA

View Full Version : McMillan has simple plan to reduce Blazers’ turnovers

tlongII
10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
http://columbian.com/article/20091029/SPORTS01/710299937/1001/SPORTS01

http://columbian.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=TC&Date=20091029&Category=SPORTS01&ArtNo=710299937&Ref=AR&Profile=1001&maxw=250&q=100&border=0
Greg Oden (52) did what the Blazers wanted him do in Tuesday’s season opener — clog the lane and make players, like Houston’s Kyle Lowry, alter their shots

TUALATIN, Ore. — For Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan, it is never too early to start talking about fundamental basketball.

McMillan said Wednesday he saw several encouraging bright spots in the Blazers’ 96-87 season-opening victory over the Houston Rockets on Tuesday.

Energetic, efficient performances from individuals such as Travis Outlaw and Martell Webster. And team-oriented strong points, including defensive intensity in the paint, strong rebounding and spark from a second unit led by point guard Andre Miller.

But one item came up again and again Wednesday, as McMillan poured through post-game details and attempted to apply initial observations to Portland’s game tonight against the Denver Nuggets.

More than an item, though, it was a number: 26.

That is the amount of turnovers the Blazers committed Tuesday in a convincing victory over the shorthanded Rockets. And while McMillan spent his post-game interview stating that his team is unlikely to win another contest this season with that many turnovers, he was more concerned during Wednesday’s follow up session about the cause of the errors — and how they can be fixed.

Where Blazers point guard Steve Blake observed that the Blazers were victimized by silly mistakes and a sticky-handed Houston defense, McMillan said Portland needs to avoid on-court collisions.

The Blazers got into trouble when they ignored easy routes and ran into defensive walls, or simply tried to do too much, McMillan said.

"With playing in traffic, sometimes we’re trying to make that home-run play and do some things for the crowd, and we need to keep the game simple," McMillan said. "It’s a simple basketball game. And when you play the game that way, it’s much easier, it looks better, and you don’t have those turnovers."

McMillan then turned the talk toward deeper fundamentals, including rebounding and free throw shooting. Both were strong points for the Blazers on Tuesday — Portland outrebounded Houston 51-33, and the Blazers shot 90.9 percent (20 of 22) from the line.

McMillan was pleased by the boards. He praised the work of centers Greg Oden (12 rebounds, five blocks) and Joel Przybilla (10 rebounds, two blocks), and said both sacrificed and played significant, workman-like roles.

Moreover, McMillan objected to the idea that Oden — who only took three shots and did not score until there were 58.8 seconds left in the game — disappeared in the paint.

Portland’s coach stated that Oden consistently established himself on the defensive end, altering shots and clogging the paint.

McMillan offered critics a reminder that the Blazers drafted Oden for defense, not offense, and that he is not the focus of the team’s offensive sets.

"You win with those numbers from a big guy like that," McMillan said. "That’s where the focus is for both he and Joel. You combine the two of them, that’s 22 rebounds that we had from our center position last night."

As for free throws, McMillan simply wants more. Portland took 22 Tuesday, and McMillan mentioned 24 — the amount the Blazers averaged last season — as an ideal number.

He reasoned that free throws directly lead to foul trouble for opponents. And they are also a positive sign that the Blazers’ quick guards are using their speed to drive toward and attack the basket, rather than settling for lower-percentage jump shots.

Portland point guard Miller said that suits him just fine.

"You learn on jump shots a lot that it makes the game a little bit harder," Miller said. "You’ve got to try to find ways to mix it up."

Fernandez feels fine

Blazers guard Rudy Fernandez said he felt fine following Tuesday’s season opener.

Fernandez is still recovering from back spasms that forced him to miss four preseason games and limited his overall activity during training camp. He played more than 25 minutes Tuesday, recording eight points on 3-of-5 shooting and knocking down two 3-pointers.

He added two assists and four rebounds, and played a key part in the Blazers’ 9-0 second-quarter run.

"I feel better. I play 25 minutes," Fernandez said. "I think it’s a good thing for me, because I play hard and I feel better."

noob cake
10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I hated farken Oden, standing in the lane looking all scary and shit.

sign, centers, we need one.

Mel_13
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I thought this would be an article about benching Oden.

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, benching Oden would eliminate 7 turnovers right there, and the Blazers wouldn't be giving up any offensive production to boot. Kind of a win-win situation IMO.

DAF86
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
http://columbian.com/article/20091029/SPORTS01/710299937/1001/SPORTS01

http://columbian.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=TC&Date=20091029&Category=SPORTS01&ArtNo=710299937&Ref=AR&Profile=1001&maxw=250&q=100&border=0
Greg Oden (52) did what the Blazers wanted him do in Tuesday’s season opener — clog the lane and make players, like Houston’s Kyle Lowry, alter their shots

Good to see Oden's real age revealed.