PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing blurb from the Harvey article...

King
04-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Nothing Mohammed did, however, meant more than Duncan running without a limp. And when Duncan took off his ankle brace at halftime and began to move as he did earlier in the season, things might be changing in the Western Conference.

Why? Why would he do this, and why would it be allowed?

(I only created a new thread because this isn't about Malik/Nazr)

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 01:44 PM
I told LJ at the game that I noticed Duncan took it off. He had a black brace in the first half. In the second half, just tape.

King
04-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Is he taping it better than before? I remember that you said he never was good about taping them like some players. What kind of brace does he normally wear? Like an air-cast/splint type thing, or just a strapup/laceup one?

Regardless, it has to be so weak that I'd prefer he taped and braced.

nacho estrada
04-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah Kori, I noticed this as well. I guess he felt comfortable with it off. I was concerned with him taking it off to say the least. Didnt somone in here say that ankle braces weren't allowed in the NBA?

bonesinaz
04-17-2005, 01:49 PM
It is really strange that the NBA wouldn't allow some type of ankle support besides tape. Afterall, I have seen players wearing heating pads, lumbar supports, and well, just take a look at AI.

Maybe this was more like a compression sock? I don't know because I didn't see the game. Can anyone give a description of how he took it off? Was it velcro fastened or did he have to pull it on?

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 01:49 PM
I just saw him with a simple black brace in the first half -- it looked like he had one black sock and one white, obviously the black was just the brace. Then in the second half, his feet looked like this.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050417/capt.saa10304170157.grizzlies_spurs_saa103.jpg

King
04-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I just saw him with a simple black brace in the first half -- it looked like he had one black sock and one white, obviously the black was just the brace. Then in the second half, his feet looked like this.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050417/capt.saa10304170157.grizzlies_spurs_saa103.jpg

Tell me there's some tape, or ice, or something on that ankle, and that's not swelling. Looks like it could be the tape.

timvp
04-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Tape.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah that's definitely tape. Regarding the "brace", didn't see it clearly but I thought it was just a simple sleeve type of brace, nothing major.

bonesinaz
04-17-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't think it is swelling, his foot is just in a wierd angle with his toes lateral and his heel medial, so what you are seeing is his heel (and tape under the sock). Also he inverted his ankle in the injury and for the medial side to be swollen he would have have to injure it while it was everted.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Didnt somone in here say that ankle braces weren't allowed in the NBA?

Yeah, I remember reading that too.

bonesinaz
04-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks Kori,
That sounds more like a compression sock to me, but I am not a sports med doc, so they may have some new cool things that I don't know about.:)

Ginofan
04-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Here's the brace...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2004-2005/BKN0417_spurs11_duncan_eao.jpg

KEDA
04-17-2005, 03:07 PM
he's not wearing the new D-Cool shoes, he is wearing last years ones that are a higher top shoe.

Wonder if ADIDAS is looking into making something special for him.

boutons
04-17-2005, 03:08 PM
wow, I can see where that brace would be hard to ignore.

pjjrfan
04-17-2005, 03:14 PM
some of you guys could be stalkers with those pictures you keep getting. Anyway, there is a way to tape your ankles to reinforce them and help avoid further injury, and the brace itself will make the shoe fit tighter and feel different on your foot. That's probably why he took it off. Seems strange braces wouldn't be allowed, ankles are routinely taped for football and that sport is more physical, maybe it has something to do with the jumping. Who knows?

exstatic
04-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Tim is foolish to take it off. The next time (and he's turned it three times already this season) his ankle is so weak that the ligaments surely will tear, and he may not be able to start next season. It's like vegatables, Tim. You don't like them, but they're good for you. Grow up, and do what's best for the team.

T Park
04-17-2005, 03:44 PM
well if it doesnt feel good, and slows him down, what good does it do.

Just tape it better, that ankle brace looks tough to wear.

juncan
04-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Ludden wrote that sometimes Timmy doesn't feel comfortable.

Duncan seeks support: Tim Duncan is trying different ankle braces in hopes of finding one comfortable enough to use regularly.

"Some braces really give him a problem, and some really feel better and give him some added protection," Popovich said.

Popovich expects Duncan to gradually show more faith in his right ankle.

"At some point, you have to go out there and stretch it and extend it, but your mind is thankfully smart enough to hold you back," Popovich said. "That process takes a little bit of time to get the confidence to really go after a rebound and hang in the air and come down, or change direction and pivot a certain way. It just takes time."

ShoogarBear
04-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I sprained my foot (very minor) about 6 weeks ago, and played with an ankle brace for about four weeks after that.

It definitely helped with support, but also affected what little lateral mobility and jumping I had. I imagine it'd be a lot worse for someone who actually has game.

exstatic
04-17-2005, 06:30 PM
well if it doesnt feel good, and slows him down, what good does it do.

It'll keep him playing. I don't care if Duncan only has 85% mobility, he can help them shut down opponents on D. If he blows out the ligaments in his ankle, kiss the playoffs, and probably the first bit of next season goodbye. The Spurs can win in the playoffs with a mobility-impaired duncan, but they can't win without him. Again, he has rolled this same ankle THREE FUCKING TIMES this season. The next one won't be a sprain, it'll be ligament damage and could have long lasting affects on his career.

Wear the brace, Tim.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-17-2005, 06:37 PM
He could be trying out different braces to see which one fits, FWIW.

timvp
04-17-2005, 06:42 PM
It'll keep him playing. I don't care if Duncan only has 85% mobility, he can help them shut down opponents on D. If he blows out the ligaments in his ankle, kiss the playoffs, and probably the first bit of next season goodbye. The Spurs can win in the playoffs with a mobility-impaired duncan, but they can't win without him. Again, he has rolled this same ankle THREE FUCKING TIMES this season. The next one won't be a sprain, it'll be ligament damage and could have long lasting affects on his career.

Wear the brace, Tim.

The tricky thing is though that if he wears a brace that doesn't give him enough flexibility, the next time he lands on someone's foot he'll blow out his knee instead of twist his ankle. It's a fine line, but Duncan must report to the trainers if a brace is too rigid. As bad as he can damage his ankle, he would hurt his knee even worse.

The Spurs just need to find the combo that will support him enough but not put the rest of his body in jeopardy.

cherylsteele
04-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I remember reading that too.

Same here.....it was said it was against NBA rules for some stupid reason.

SequSpur
04-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Spurs are done.

Jimcs50
04-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Spurs are done. :rolleyes

cherylsteele
04-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Spurs are done.

What great insight!!....NOT!! :rolleyes

HB22inSA
04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
If Duncan's ankle turns again, Sequ's not far off.

In fact, he's right on the money.

Problem is, Tim's ankle won't fully heal until the summer, but it will get just a little bit stronger every day.

By Finals time, assuming the Spurs make it that far, the ankle should be fairly stable again.

Rummpd
04-17-2005, 10:19 PM
My guess and its only a guess is that soft ankle braces are ok. Whether or not they are better than a great tape job is debatable as I used to employ both as a sports doc without much difference IMO but the braces are probably improved today at the elite level over what I had to work with 15 years ago.