PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's Role This Season

booonkers
10-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I just wanna know what his role will be in the regular season and playoffs.

First of all, I want you all to relax I don't need the "it's too early stop panicking" crap which most people spew out when others ask things. I'm just really curious on what you guys think his role will be this season.

For me, I do understand having to coast/cruise in the regular season, I just wanna know if you guys think he'll be able to turn it on in the playoffs. What I'm thinking is that he should take it a bit easy then steadily increase his minutes and touches by all-star break. I'm just kinda worried that if they rest him a little too much, he might not have the right kind of rhythm come playoff time. That's my main concern for Duncan.

I feel that for the Spurs to win it all this year, Duncan still has to be the main man. We do have a lot of offensive options now but to be able to win against other contenders, Duncan really has to be the leader and things should start with him. I just hope with the rest he'll be getting this year, he'll still find his playoff rhythm. I'm not asking for the old dominant team, but the Timmy of 07-08 I think will be enough for this team to succeed.

ambchang
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
The regular season is probably going to be cruise time for the stars of the team, and they are probably not going to see heavy minutes until the end of the season. The first 40 or so games will be literally practice for Pop to see matchups and situations, tweak with the defense, run different plays, etc ....

The playoffs though is another animal. The best players are always on the court during the playoffs, and at any one point in time, you can only have 5 guys, so having a deep bench doesn't really do as much during the playoffs. When you look at the past champions, with the exception of maybe the 89 and 90 Pistons, all championships have one of the best starting 5s in the league. A team like the Lakers, Celtics and Magic have a stacked starting 5 (or best 5), the Spurs may have one of them, and it really depends on how they mesh.

Which comes down to Duncan. Duncan still has it, he doesn't have to have it every night though, and with his mileage, it's better for him to conserve energy during the regular season. He has been able to turn it on the last two playoffs, there is no reason for him not being able to do so again this year. He would be the defensive anchor this year, and with Bowen gone, his defensive role is going to expand. He is also going to be the director on the defensive end of the court. On offense, expect a late career Chamberlain/Jabbar thing, where he could still score when he needs to, but is mostly to get defensive attention and open up shots for his teammates.

alchemist
10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
It would be suicide to make Timmy the focal point on offense this late into his career. I think his numbers and Tony's and Manu's will be down this year considering they have so much talent to distribute the points.

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 10:22 AM
It would be suicide to make Timmy the focal point on offense this late into his career. I think his numbers and Tony's and Manu's will be down this year considering they have so much talent to distribute the points.

:toast

Tim is still great, but he's not young enough or limber enough to be the main man. Way too many miles on that frame.

And this actually makes Karl Malone's longevity all the more amazing. That dude remained the main man on the Jazz 'til the day he left, and how old was he at that point?

ducks
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
get blair coffee and donuts

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 10:25 AM
get blair coffee and donuts

:lmao

Riverwalkman
10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Past: Duncan needed to achieve a double-double to help team win.

Now: As long as Spurs win, Duncan could even sit and watch. I don't care the all time legend's stats.