PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Trail Blazers' time has come

tlongII
10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2010148760_kelley28.html

Coach Nate McMillan's team is on the verge of greatness as the Trail Blazers open their 40th NBA season.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/10/27/2010148471.jpg
Brandon Roy drives to the hoop Tuesday as Blazers teammate Travis Outlaw sets a screen on Houston's Trevor Ariza.

PORTLAND — This team was built for this season.

Since coach Nate McMillan came south from Seattle in 2005 and Martell Webster was drafted that same season.

Since Brandon Roy was acquired in a draft-day trade a year later. And since Greg Oden was taken, over Kevin Durant, with the first pick in the next draft, the Portland Trail Blazers have been pointing toward 2009-10.

Every season since they finally stripped this team of all its high-priced dead wood and low-rent bad citizens, they have taken a measured series of small steps with their eyes on something big.

Now, in McMillan's fifth year, the patient process of rebuilding from the 21-win team of 2005-06, to a championship contender is done. Entering the franchise's 40th season, Portland is a team on the verge of greatness.

"Yeah, we are past the point of talking about rebuilding," McMillan said before Tuesday's season opener against Houston. "For me and the team, we want to take that next step. We have to show improvement, get back to the playoffs and go deeper this season."

McMillan and general manager Kevin Pritchard have built this team the right way. They have mixed and matched. They have avoided the temptation to fix the team quickly with high-profile, low-return free agents.

They've built through the draft. Five of the nine players in their every-game rotation came from the draft.

The exceptions — point guards Steve Blake and newcomer Andre Miller, shooting guard Rudy Fernandez, center Joel Pryzbilla — were smart pieces that fit Portland's puzzle. There were no impulse buys.

"The turnaround has happened," McMillan said. "And now this is Phase Two of the plan where we show improvement, growth and win ballgames. Talking about what you want to do, what you're going to do, well, the summer's over. It's time to play ball."

Will it take a Phase Three, another season, to win an NBA championship? Probably, but this team is good and worth the wait for their long-suffering fans.

"Phase Two is to win a lot of basketball games," McMillan said. "Maybe Phase Three is to win a championship. That's the ultimate goal. To win the championship in one of those phases."

As usual, the West is mined with contenders. The defending champion Los Angeles Lakers, the Denver Nuggets and San Antonio Spurs are the looming nightmares in this potentially dreamy season.

But nobody in basketball is deeper than Portland. Even with the loss of starting small forward Nicolas Batum, who suffered a torn labrum and could be out from three-to-five months, the Blazers are nine deep.

In fact the most serious question entering the season was, who would have the ball in his hands at the end of quarters and games? All-star Roy or veteran backup point guard Miller?

Batum's injury gives Seattle Prep's Webster, who missed all but one game last season with a stress fracture in his left foot, the best opportunity in his five NBA seasons. Webster started against the Rockets and scored 14 points.

"It's the same chance for Martell to slide in there at small forward this season that Martell's injury gave Batum last year," McMillan said.

Against Houston, the team that eliminated Portland in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs, in front of a crowd that felt playoff-ready already, the Blazers' smothering defense created turnovers they converted into fast-break buckets.

The Blazers' playing style is the same as the franchise's rebuilding style. The team rarely hurries. It plays with a purpose, plays with brains and patience. And it shares the wealth.

With Webster the only starter on the floor, Portland opened the second quarter with an 11-0 run. Through three quarters, the deep Blazer bench outscored Houston's reserves 35-14 as Portland opened a 75-56 lead. That should be a recurring theme for the season.

Portland opened its 40th season with a 96-87 win over the Rockets. Phase Two was off and the Blazers were running.

djohn2oo8
10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Yall got alot of homer writers, Gawtdamnnn!!

tlongII
10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Yall got alot of homer writers, Gawtdamnnn!!

This writer is in Seattle.

The Gemini Method
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Seattle/Portland...like it really matters in basketball...

tlongII
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Looking forward to it.

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM

Which is in the pacific northwest. There's only one team in the pacific northwest...can you guess who that would be?

let me know if you need a hint

The Gemini Method
10-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Looking forward to a parade after a 2nd round exit? Awesome.

tlongII
10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Parades are fun!

ElNono
10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Looking forward to a parade after a 2nd round exit? Awesome.

LOL 2nd round... 1st round is probably much more like it...

djohn2oo8
10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Parades are fun!

Especially before even playing a playoff game

Spursfan092120
10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Parades are fun!
Blair >> Oden

21_Blessings
10-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Blair >> Oden

Bynum >> Blair >> Oden

How's that crow tasting Spursfan093208420384328? Hope you enjoy seeing Bynum in the All-Star game. :lol

The Gemini Method
10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I heard they had a parade after Tuesday's game...to celebrate Oden making it through an opening night game...

djohn2oo8
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I heard they had a parade after Tuesday's game...to celebrate Oden making it through an opening night game...

The parade came to a halt when Oden caught a sinus infection

Spursfan092120
10-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Bynum >> Blair >> Oden

How's that crow tasting Spursfan093208420384328? Hope you enjoy seeing Bynum in the All-Star game. :lol
Dude..not every thread has to be about your GREAT Lakers...by the way...nice 7 point victory over the Griffin-less Lakers..you should be really proud...how's that bench working out for ya? :lol

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
The parade came to a halt when Oden caught a sinus infection

:lol

21_Blessings
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Dude..not every thread has to be about your GREAT Lakers..

You do realize you're in a tlong thread, right?

lefty
10-29-2009, 12:19 PM
LMAO Blazers

Spursfan092120
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
You do realize you're in a tlong thread, right?
Yes, douchey...And I was simply letting him know that Blair was better than Oden, and you felt you needed to throw your Lakers in the picture because of your insecurities...it's ok and all..just gets old.

The Gemini Method
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Dude..not every thread has to be about your GREAT Lakers...by the way...nice 7 point victory over the Griffin-less Lakers..you should be really proud...how's that bench working out for ya? :lol

The Lakers didn't have Griffin? Man, can't wait until he comes back--then we'll go 80-1!!! ;)

lulz @ sinus infection sidelining Oden in fear his geriatric body might then catch the piggy flu.

Spursfan092120
10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
The Lakers didn't have Griffin? Man, can't wait until he comes back--then we'll go 80-1!!! ;)

lulz @ sinus infection sidelining Oden in fear his geriatric body might then catch the piggy flu.
lol..oops...you know what I meant, damnit..lol

turiaf for president
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
considering most teams in nba history struggle after a ring ceremony, ill take that win against an improved clippers team without or all star power forward =D.

but back to topic, i do agree blair > oden in a 82 game season. blair is built like an ox while oden just looks old

xellos88330
10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I just don't know what to make of you TLongII.

Do you ever post anything negative about the Blazers?

Spursmania
10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
:sleep

Spursmania
10-29-2009, 02:48 PM

:lmao

Morg1411
10-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Most people in Seattle do NOT root for the Blazers. They were the Sonic's nemesis for too long, and most of us -- unlike the fuckass who wrote this article -- haven't forgotten that.

(Yes, I'm bitter.)

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Most people in Seattle do NOT root for the Blazers. They were the Sonic's nemesis for too long, and most of us -- unlike the fuckass who wrote this article -- haven't forgotten that.

(Yes, I'm bitter.)

Yeah, it's a damn shame B-ball ain't there...Dennis Johnson is probably rolling in his grave.

They should just move the Clippers out there--they have no history worth talking about, and LA has never needed 2 teams

benefactor
10-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Prepare for that ass whooping tonight.
...and then again a week from tomorrow.

Morg1411
10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah, it's a damn shame B-ball ain't there...Dennis Johnson is probably rolling in his grave.

They should just move the Clippers out there--they have no history worth talking about, and LA has never needed 2 teams

I'd take the Clips. They may be losers, but they're damned entertaining.

tlongII
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM

(Yes, I'm bitter.)

Dude, I feel for ya. Sonics vs Blazers was a GREAT rivalry! I hope it returns some day.