PDA

View Full Version : Hoopsworld: Spurs Turning Doubt into a Dynasty

duncan228
10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
It's Hoopsworld, but it's got quotes.

Spurs Turning Doubt into a Dynasty (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14172)
By: Yannis Koutroupis

The San Antonio Spurs can now do no wrong. Every move and acquisition they make is automatically assumed to be a positive one based on their accomplishments since 1999. However, the franchise that started off as the Dallas Chaparrals back in 1967 hasn't always had the luxury of having a league-wide stamp of approval.

Just ten years ago the Spurs were the Charles Barkley of NBA franchises. They had over 1300 regular season wins, eight division championships, and 26 playoff appearances but no championships to show for them. Even with NBA greats such as Johnny Moore, James Silas, Robinson and George Gervin the Spurs couldn't reach the promise land.

Everything changed in the summer of 1997 though when the Spurs won the NBA Draft Lottery and selected Tim Duncan out of Wake Forest. Duncan, who attended the university for four years despite being a top ranked prospect since his sophomore season, immediately vaulted the Spurs into contention status where they remain to this day. Believe it or not, there were some who actually encouraged Popovich and company to go another direction with the first overall pick.

"I had a couple of people tell me (Duncan wasn't worth it)," revealed Coach Popovich. "They're still in the league. Nobody thought Duncan was going to fail, they just weren't sure if he was a franchise player."

Duncan turned out to be the best power forward of all-time and by 1999 he had led the organization to their first championship, but the majority of the league expected great things from him. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili on the other hand caught the rest of the league by surprise. Parker, drafted 28th overall in 2001, and Manu, taken 57th in 1999 turned into franchise players as well as cornerstones for three more Spurs' championships.

This year's team has two players who are on pace to join Parker and Ginobili as draft night steals. Both George Hill and DeJuan Blair are vital pieces of the puzzle, providing the team with youth and athleticism they haven't had in years past.

In his second year Hill has not only made Popovich a believer in his skills, but he's become Coach Pop's favorite player. Hill came from IUPUI where he spent the majority of his time playing off the ball, but he's now Parker's main backup at the point guard position.

"We didn't know (he could play point)," explained Popovich. "We didn't know Manu was Manu, we didn't know Tony was Tony, and we didn't even know for sure Timmy was going to be Timmy. With George we just knew he was a great athlete with great length and defensive abilities. He scored a lot too. At our pick he was a good candidate to see if we could something with him. Our picks over the years have allowed us to do that. Picking in the late 20's and early 30's, you're taking a chance anyway. What are the chances those guys are going to stay in the league? Not great. You can wing it and go off of certain aspects of a player's game and take a chance on them."

One thing that Parker, Ginobili, and Hill all have in common is that they caught the eye of the Spurs more than they did any other NBA team. At the time they were chosen many thought the Spurs were making a stretch. That wasn't the case for Blair though as he basically fell into their laps at 37 since other teams were scared away by his knees. Blair was expecting Indiana to take him with their lottery pick. In Indy Blair would have played more and been compensated better financially, but he wouldn't have the opportunity to compete for a championship like he does now.

"The one that's most intriguing is DeJuan Blair," admitted Popovich. "He was our leading scorer and rebounder in preseason in 18 minutes a game. You see that and say you have to play that guy but he's a rookie and you have to let some education take place when he's playing against players that are bigger than the ones he went up against in college. It's interesting to me to see how that plays out, because he's obviously got talent. How quickly that will translate and how quickly he'll figure out how to deal with being an undersized big guy is going to be real interesting to watch."

"He's showing really good maturity. You just have to give him credit. He's got a great way about him and he lets the game come to him."

As good as Hill and Blair hold the potential to be, contending teams cannot afford to be overly dependent on younger players. That's why the Spurs also added Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, and Theo Ratliff. The addition of those veterans was fully embraced by the elder statesmen of the Spurs.

"Those are guys that add proven talent to the club," stated Popovich. "Jefferson is a talented individual, as is McDyess. Confidence wise they know that these are guys who have performed in other places and are not new kids on the block. They've performed over time and it makes them feel good about their presence."

The regular season got off to a great start for the Spurs as they defeated the New Orleans Hornets 113-96 in impression fashion. Everyone's been questioning whether or not this newly put together group could quickly for chemistry or not. On Wednesday they got their answer a
nd as usual the Spurs respond favorably to their doubters.

"Those guys came in and looked like they've been playing with each other for years," said an impressed Chris Paul. "Of course, they're going to have to get a little bit more comfortable but it's the same old Spurs, just different people in those uniforms."

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
i honestly think that additions of blair and jefferson, and the development of hill, ensure that the spurs will be contenders for at least the next few years. duncan can play less and less as the younger guys come along. of course, Duncan might decide to call it a career after a 5th ring if he's hurting too much. we'll have to wait and see.

Spur|n|Austin
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
That was hoopsword.com? Good read.

in2deep
10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I would also like to mention Mason was shooting lights out in the 2nd half last night. He's back.

Dex
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I would also like to mention Mason was shooting lights out in the 2nd half last night. He's back.

+1

This team is deeper than Jerry Jones' pockets.

SamoanTD
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Everybody wuz hitting theres lastnite bonner, manu, mason, shit even hill got in on dat damn NBA pik ur poison when u go against the spurs foreal lol

Spurs Brazil
10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Good article

Believe it or not, there were some who actually encouraged Popovich and company to go another direction with the first overall pick.

"I had a couple of people tell me (Duncan wasn't worth it)," revealed Coach Popovich. "They're still in the league. Nobody thought Duncan was going to fail, they just weren't sure if he was a franchise player."

:lol :lol :lol

lefty
10-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Damn, we are being jinxed hardcore by the medias :bang

But seriously, this team seems to be the best of the Duncan era

Summers
10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
KVH over Duncan?

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Bender
10-30-2009, 10:45 AM
good thing pop says Blair should play and get some education against real NBA players

spurspokesman
10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
i honestly think that additions of blair and jefferson, and the development of hill, ensure that the spurs will be contenders for at least the next few years. duncan can play less and less as the younger guys come along. of course, Duncan might decide to call it a career after a 5th ring if he's hurting too much. we'll have to wait and see.
Sad just imagining it. But they will find a way to make due. From gervin to robinson to duncan to ?

SenorSpur
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Great read. Thanks so much for posting.