PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger's Chat

ElNono
10-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Going on now...LINK (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/29145)

Here's a Spurs related question:

Roger (NC):

Can the Spurs beat LA starting Matt Bonner?

John Hollinger (12:47 PM)

I was a little surprised he got the nod over McDyess last night, and I don't expect that to continue all year. Incidentally, McDyess has had a *very* strong first-half second-half differential the past few years, playing much, much better in the second half of the season, so maybe the Spurs will unveil him for Game 42.

Mel_13
10-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Going on now...LINK (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/29145)

Here's a Spurs related question:

Roger (NC):

Can the Spurs beat LA starting Matt Bonner?

John Hollinger (12:47 PM)

I was a little surprised he got the nod over McDyess last night, and I don't expect that to continue all year. Incidentally, McDyess has had a *very* strong first-half second-half differential the past few years, playing much, much better in the second half of the season, so maybe the Spurs will unveil him for Game 42.

Just read the same thing and looked up last year's numbers. Because of the games missed due to his buyout from Denver, Dice played 32 games before the All-Star break and 30 after. All 32 games before the break were off the bench, while he started all 30 games after the break.

Pre-break (bench):
25.6 mpg
7.3 ppg
8.6 rpg

Post-break (starter):
34.9 mpg
12.1 ppg
11.0 rpg

Cry Havoc
10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Especially with RJ, we don't need McDyess to start a single game this year to win the division and probably lock up the 2 seed.

Against tougher opponents, he'll probably get the nod over Bonner. At least we can hope. Getting the 1 seed would be nice.

Bruno
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I can see Bonner starting for at least the full regular season. The problem is that if you start McDyess, you will have extended minutes with a Bonner/Blair frontcourt that will be quite horrible on the defensive end. It's also likely better for Blair to come from the bench.

What I don't get is Finley starting over Mason. :rolleyes

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
I think it completely depends on the matchup..

I'd like to see how Ratliff looks when he gets in shape, we're going to need him to play a good role IMO..

SamoanTD
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
idk I think pop will go with dyess only if its absolutely necessary like he did wit ginobli when we played the hornets for dat 7 game series he put ginobli as the starter becuz he needed the punch frm the begining of the game. Also i think bonner is nt the same bonner frm da past couple of seasons hes putting the ball on the floor (even though he looks really uncomfortable doing so) he is doing it which makes him nt so predictable. Also hes hustling alot which is nice to see frm da red headed machine lol.

P.S in no way am i sayin bonner is better than dyess lol cuz we all knw dyess would give bonner the BUISNESS lol

SamoanTD
10-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I think it's absolutely hilarious that Bonner shoots 3-6 from 3, the Spurs blow the Hornets out, and yet... McDyess needs to start. Nice. Way to use your head.
I knw rite lmao

spurs4real
10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
did anyone read this in the bottom section of the chat

lordxarespn3 (Today at 12:52 AM) Report Violation
>>i read 2day that they are talking to the warriors bout sjax Where did you read that? I have seen two people reference it but can't find an article about it anywhere.

spurs4real

>>i read 2day that they are talking to the warriors bout sjax Where did you read that? I have seen two people reference it but can't find an article about it anywhere.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10099/10099

Stephen Jackson Trade Talk
October 28, 2009 4:44 PM
By Chris Broussard

For now, this is a rumor because I haven't verified it with sources close to the situation, but I've been told by a few people around the league that the Stephen Jackson trade talk is heating up. I'm told that Golden State is mulling several offers, and one person told me he expects something to happen within the next few days. I don't know the particulars of any supposed offers, but I'm told Cleveland, Denver, San Antonio, New Orleans and the Los Angeles Clippers are all interested in Jackson.

Golden State wants Zydrunas Ilgauskas from Cleveland, but the Cavs aren't willing to give him up because they need him to back up Shaq. The Warriors would like Manu Ginobili from the Spurs, but I can't see the Spurs parting with Manu. I'm told the Warriors' discussions with Denver were brief because Jackson's $7.65 million salary doesn't fit under their $7.4 million trade exception.

Stay tuned...

lennyalderette
i think bonner should start on certain matchups, but if hes not starting i dont think dice should start either way, we really need his d with blair. the one big question is why isnt finley coming off the bench he would play much better with manu dice blair hill. and you guys know mason picked up speed this year, and is hustling his ass off. hes just as deadly or even deadlier form beyond the arc

Dice
I think a lot of the "start Dice" thoughts come from the fact that it was the second unit that really turned up the defense. I personally would rather see him start than watch the opposing teams big start the game by blowing over Bonner their first few possesions. But I'm biased.

SamoanTD
10-29-2009, 01:38 PM

no thx on sjax we good jus da way we r

lennyalderette
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM

they want to trade jax for manu!!!lol :lol
thats what nelson wants from us!!! pop would not do that

afireinside20
10-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I can see Bonner starting for at least the full regular season. The problem is that if you start McDyess, you will have extended minutes with a Bonner/Blair frontcourt that will be quite horrible on the defensive end. It's also likely better for Blair to come from the bench.

What I don't get is Finley starting over Mason. :rolleyes

I think with the whole Finley and Mason situation, it's simple. Pop is going to let Finley perhaps, start all season. Then come playoff time an almost fresh Roger Mason is going to start and bring the 3 point shooting and energy in the backcourt along with Parker. Last year Mason did way too much then what he had to, being a point guard, and being out of his comfort zone with that. But now Mason will be back with some more experience and not have such a worn down body come playoff time.

tmtcsc
10-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Matt Bonner is a bench player. Period. He is starting right now but his performance doesn't warrant it. 3-6 shooting 3's is great but he can't rebound for shit. With a group of Duncan, Parker, Finley and Jefferson, we don't need another shooter out there, we need another rebounder. McDyess should be starting. Matt can come in and supply some shooting off the bench.