PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Hornets - Oct. 28

timvp
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, that was a fun way to start a season. Going up against the New Orleans Hornets, a squad that seemingly always gives San Antonio a tough battle, the Spurs climbed out of an early hole and coasted to 113-96 victory. Most of the success came in the middle two quarters that saw the Spurs put 69 points on the board.

The run that iced the game came early. With the Spurs down 10-4, Manu Ginobili entered the game and helped spark a 25-3 run that basically ended the contest in the first half. The Hornets made a few small runs in the final two periods, however they were quickly snuffed out by the home team's rabid attack.

As for New Orleans, they look like a team at a crossroads. While their team is talented, the Hornets lack the cohesiveness and chemistry they exhibited a few seasons ago. Obviously, there is a lot of time for the Hornets to figure it all out but it wouldn't be hugely surprising to see their train derail.

All in all, the Spurs and their fans have to be extremely happy with how the season began. A lot of players performed well and despite the domination, there was still a lot of room for improvement.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
22:23 minutes, nine points, 12 rebounds, three assists
4-for-8 from the field, 1-for-2 at the line

After a season in which his knees let him down as the campaign wore on, Tim Duncan was back for a new year with a new knee brace. He seemed to be moving well laterally and he illustrated a healthy amount of quickness, however his jumping ability looked to be lacking a bit. I'm not sure whether it was the brace restricting his movement or simply Duncan being cautious -- but obviously Spurs fans should hope it was the latter. Regarding his actual play, Duncan put in good work. He rebounded very well, made good passes and had a few aggressive moves in the post. It'll be very interesting to watch his health early on in the season and see if he can physically take it to another level when the situation calls for it.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
23:34 minutes, 16 points, four assists
5-for-11 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers, 4-for-7 at the line

During preseason, Manu Ginobili spent most of his playing time mired in unevenness. But once the bright lights of the regular season were turned on, Ginobili looked like his old self. He came out firing and putting his creativity on full display. I was very impressed from what I saw. Ginobili looked strong, confident and played hard on both ends of the court. He still can get in better shape but the best news is that he looks healthy and still can play basketball at an elite level.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
26:17 minutes, 17 points, six assists
6-for-9 from the field, 5-for-5 at the line

Tony Parker quietly set the tone for the Spurs. He came out of the gates making the extra pass and not forcing the issue. In fact, his first shot of the season didn't come until halfway through the second quarter. Parker wasn't totally sharp offensively but he seemed to get better and better as the game progressed. With so much talent on this year's team, it'll likely take Parker some time to adjust to figuring out when and where he needs to pick up the scoring slack. Defensively, he wasn't spectacular but he did a good job of not letting Chris Paul cause too much havoc in the lane. Instead, Parker turned Paul mostly into a jumpshooter.

Richard Jefferson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3523.jpg
24:26 minutes, five points, five assists, four rebounds
1-for-7 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers, 3-for-4 at the line

Richard Jefferson is still in the process of easing himself into San Antonio's system. He didn't shoot well and seemed to hesitate even when open but there were definitely glimpses of how he'll eventually help. His defense was mostly solid, he rebounded and, most surprisingly, he authored a number of very good passes. The Spurs will need him to become more demonstrative offensively as the season goes along but it's a good sign that Jefferson seems very willing to fill whatever role is deemed necessary.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
20:41 minutes, 10 points, two assists
4-for-6 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers

A member of the starting lineup, Michael Finley looks like the same player we saw last season. If anything, he appears to be in even better shape. He's getting great lift on his jumper and the confidence he showed in the preseason translated to the first regular season contest. He had a few forgettable plays defensively but overall it is difficult to be unhappy with how Finley played.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
28:52 minutes, 11 points, three rebounds, two assists
4-for-9 from the field, 3-for-6 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner remains the starter at center -- at least for the time being -- and actually did quite well. His shooting stretched the floor and allowed for those around him to create. His dribble moves toward the basket were improved and his defense remains deceptively solid. There will likely come a point in which Bonner moves to a bench role but in Game 1 of 82, he was an asset in the starting lineup.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg
18:02 minutes, nine points, three rebound
4-for-5 from the field, 1-for-1 at the line

It didn't take long for the world to see why the Spurs went out and signed Antonio McDyess this past offseason. In the first half, he had nine points and three rebounds while looking like a perfect fit in the system. His jumper from long range will come in handy and his hustle and smart play allows him to be in the right spot at the right time. Once he completely learns his responsibilities on both ends of the court, McDyess is destined to become a vital cog in the engine of the 2009-10 Spurs.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
22:23 minutes, 11 points, three rebounds
5-for-11 from the field, 1-for-5 on three-pointers

For the second straight season, Roger Mason, Jr. shook off a sub par preseason with an impressive showing in the first real game. Mason wasn't afraid to let it fly offensively and he appeared to be more engaged defensively than we saw last year. He continues to run some of the halfcourt sets -- with varying levels of success. As the team's sixth perimeter player on the depth chart as it stands, will Mason be able to carve out a consistent role? We'll find out. So far, so good.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
21:43 minutes, nine points, four assists, two rebounds
4-for-7 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Playing strictly as the team's backup point guard, George Hill began his sophomore season off on the right foot. He was aggressive both offensively and defensively. He got the team into its sets on time. He even made a number of quality passes and showed other signs of being able to fully convert to the point guard position.

DeJuan Blair
http://dailyelements.com/dejuan-blair.jpg
22:33 minutes, 14 points, 11 rebounds, three assists
7-for-10 from the field

The excitement around DeJuan Blair continues to grow -- and for good reason. After exceeding all expectations in preseason, Blair came out and was a beast in his first true NBA action. A number of positive attributes stand out when watching Blair play including his touch around the basket, his much talked about rebounding prowess, his underrating passing ability and his fantastic feel for the game. There's just no denying that he's an immensely talented player who could make a major impact on a championship contending team right away. That said, he has a lot of room to improve defensively. The Hornets had much success attacking him in pick-and-roll situations and he also had trouble defending the rim. But with how well he can rebound, how well he can score and how much energy he provides right out of the box, there's no question that his positive outweigh his negatives -- even in the infancy of his NBA career.
SIZE="5"]-------------------------------[/SIZE]

Gregg Popovich
http://dailyelements.com/pop-stoic.jpg

You just had to smile when Gregg Popovich ignored conventional wisdom to begin the season. After last season's playoff failure, a lot of the blame was aimed at Michael Finley and Matt Bonner being forced into starting roles. What does Pop do to begin this season? Start Finley and Bonner, of course. As for the rest of the rotation, there weren't many surprises, though it was great to see Pop trust DeJuan Blair so much right out of the gates. Hopefully Pop gives Blair a lot of time to learn during the regular season so that he's ready to produce in the postseason. Living through the unavoidable ups and downs with Blair this season will likely go down as Pop's biggest challenge during the next 81 games.

Offense

After scoring only nine points in the game's first eight minutes, the Spurs exploded for 104 points in the final 40 minutes. Considering the many new parts, the offense was surprisingly sharp. Players were making the extra pass and wasted possessions were rare. For the game, the Spurs shot 52.3% from the field and hit 9-of-24 three-pointers and 14-of-20 from the line. San Antonio also had 29 assists and only ten turnovers.

Defense

It was a tale of two halves on the defensive end. In the first two quarters, the Spurs played above average defense. They pressured well out on the perimeter and closed off the lane against penetration. However, in the second half, the Spurs were very poor on the defensive end. They allowed the Hornets to score 57 points and shoot over 60% from the field in the third and fourth. The intensity dropped, the transition defense lagged and the basket wasn't protected. In fact, the Spurs finished the contest without a blocked shot and forced only ten turnovers. On the night, the Hornets shot 50% from the field and hit half of their ten three-point attempts. Thankfully, the offense was clicking and the Spurs were able to do fine work on the boards, outrebounding the Hornets 42-33. It wasn't horrible defensive performance overall but there is still a lot of work to be done on that end of the court.

Drive to Five

One down and everything is rosy in Spurs Nation. Let's hope that the team can stay healthy, keep improving and continue integrating the promising new parts. Next up is a quick trip to Chicago to take on the Bulls. A road win on the second night of a back-to-back would definitely keep the positive energy flowing in the right direction.

Believe.

stretch
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
jefferson blows

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Game Thoughts!!!!!! aahhh, my life is complete now.

kbrury
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
:elephant:elephant:elephant

Muser
10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
So does terry.

rasho8
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
First regular season use of my new season tickets. I'm stoked for this season.

Last nights game was great the first quarter and a half and then became a blowout... so ending the night with Pat Green was fun as it kept me watching and hanging out at the AT&T Center until the end.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

J.T.
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
jefferson blows

is your avatar that kid from back to the future that says marty mcfly must be rich if he has two tvs

SpursFanATL
10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
So does terry.

What an understatement.

tp2021
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't remember a season that had me this excited.

I hope this team stays healthy and reaches their potential.

in2deep
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
gotta agree, Dyess looks like he has been playing in the spurs for a couple of years. Fits like a glove!

koriwhat
10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
jefferson blows

dallas blows!

DPG21920
10-29-2009, 12:30 PM
22:33 minutes, 14 points, 11 rebounds, three assists
7-for-10 from the field

The excitement around DeJuan Blair continues to grow -- and for good reason. After exceeding all expectations in preseason, Blair came out and was a beast in his first true NBA action. A number of positive attributes stand out when watching Blair play including his touch around the basket, his much talked about rebounding prowess, his underrating passing ability and his fantastic feel for the game. There's just no denying that he's an immensely talented player who could make a major impact on a championship contending team right away. That said, he has a lot of room to improve defensively. The Hornets had much success attacking him in pick-and-roll situations and he also had trouble defending the rim. But with how well he can rebound, how well he can score and how much energy he provides right out of the box, there's no question that his positive outweigh his negatives -- even in the infancy of his NBA career.

"Are you serious?" - EricB

Spursfan092120
10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Even DeJuan's game picture looks beastly...lol

Dex
10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
As always, thanks for the time and effort, timvp. :tu

That first game only made me even more excited for this season...which I didn't think was possible.

thispego
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Where is that fellatio emoticon??!???!???

ATRAIN
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks Timvp

oh yeah and you should pink Stretch for trying to start shit in your thread. I would if I were you. An Ip ban would be even better.

ATRAIN
10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Even DeJuan's game picture looks beastly...lol

Its a fucking Glamour shot by deb :lol

Kamnik
10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Thank you timvp!

A few hours ago I was thinking about starting an official petition here to persuade you to write your game thoughts! :toast:toast

Awsome to read this, as always!

benefactor
10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Where is that fellatio emoticon??!???!???
:tu

DPG21920
10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I was watching for a few key things last night, most noticeably:

Spurs started out slow, but after that their defense and offense picked up. They went into half time with a sizable lead. Now, in the past, the Spurs would come out flat in the 3rd quarter and the big lead easily dissipated because of lack of defense and the offense would dry up.

Not only did the lead not shrink, it was easily maintained and even expanded at times. That was with the team playing sub par defense against a team that always gives the Spurs problems. It is a scary thought (in a good way) especially when you look at the low minutes played for our big time players.

NFGIII
10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

Our D did fall off in the 2nd half so I bet Pop probably very politely pointed that out to the guys on their plane trip to Chicago. Considering how excited Spurs Nation is right now this is only going to get better. Once RJ gets the feel as well as Dice, Blair and Co. there are going to be some serious beatdowns to witness.

I think that our 2nd unit could probably handle many 1st units. I don't think the Spurs have had this much talent on the team in quite some time.

Damn I'm pumped for the season! Nothing short of #5 :lobt: will do.

:flag:

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't remember a season that had me this excited.

i agree. part of the reason is because of all the exciting new blood, but also, back in the day (Twin Towers), no matter how excited i was at the start of the season, i always knew we had to face the Shaq-Kobe Lakers at the end, and it was hard to ever like your chances against that team. this season, the Lakers look formidable, but not terrifying. the Celtics, on the other hand, look scary.

Spursfan092120
Its a fucking Glamour shot by deb :lol
:lmao:lmao
http://xdd.xanga.com/b77d9b2a42032131679056/z96041579.jpg

DPG21920
Where is the "its cool to bash on things others like or mainstream things just to go against the grain, but it is no longer cool because it is so obvious and unoriginal" emoticon?

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Spurs started out slow, but after that their defense and offense picked up.

Spurs will NEVER start fast if the starters include Bonner, Finley and Duncan. Ain't going to happen.

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
the Celtics are the best team in the NBA if they're healthy IMO, but we match up with them A LOT better than we do with the Lakers..so that's why I'd rather play Boston as opposed to LA..

Orlando is the team I don't wanna play out of all of them..

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice job Timvp!

I think everything you said was right on, I just have a few thoughts to add...

Blair didn't look like a rookie playing his first regular season game. He looked like a guy who belonged. He looked like a veteran when the offense ran through him...he knew when to pass, work the ball around, when to take his shot. He found how to get open for easy looks, rebounded like a beast, and had just a great 1st game. I'm with you on the defense, though. He wasn't playing the pick-and-roll very well, and it was obvious he can't defend the rim when his player backs him too far under the basket. With that big body he'll just have to learn to keep his man away from the hoop.

McDyess --- Awesome! He's tall, strong and mobile and knows how to play the game. He's a post presence we haven't had since David retired. Even though he's new to the team, you could see his veteran skill on display last night. I think he's going to be a big improvement in the post over what Thomas brought last year...as much as I like KT.

I was impressed with Jefferson's passing and court presence. You can just tell he's a player who's on a different level than anyone the Spurs have had supporting the big 3 in recent years. I thought he contributed in a lot of ways last night, in fact I was shocked when I saw he had only one basket because he seemed to do a lot of good things out there.

To me, Timmy looked like he was going about 60% out there. He put forth good effort, but you can tell he's carefully easing into the season. I really like that approach, actually. Last year when he was forced to carry the team early in the season I had a feeling he'd break down before it was over. If Pop can keep him just under 30 mpg in the regular season I think we'll have him at 100% at year-end when it starts to count.

Manu looks healthy which was awesome to see. I don't think his explosiveness is there yet, so I'm excited to see him work his way back into game shape.

Tony looked good running the offense. He looks like a guy who trusts his teammates this year. I didn't sense that the Big 3 had a lot of faith in their supporting cast last year. This year they appear to have a lot of faith in the new guys. You can sense their excitement.

Pop is coaching like the playoffs have already started...l was impressed by his fire last night. I was impressed by the whole team's fire last night. This just looks like a team this year that believes it can win at a high level. The Big 3 are excited about their teammates, and they appear to have a lot of faith in them. Our second unit looks like it could take most team's first units. This is a scary group! I'm so excited!! :hungry:

urunobili
10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks timvp!

ducks
10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
the big three will trust the teamates early
they want to see what they can do
if they continue to shine then they will keep trusting them

florige
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I hate TNT. While I held my breath as Parker was on the ground grimacing in pain, as soon as he sat up stupid TNT cuts to a commercial?!

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I wasn't impressed with Finley's defense at all TBH..

Bonner didn't look good defensively as well IMO, but he was passable..lucky West missed some shots he usually made, although Bonner did adjust later on..

Finley's defense isn't going to cut it though..it has nothing to do with effort or basketball IQ, the guy makes the right plays..he just can't close out quick enough anymore, and it was evident on at least 3 plays last night..

Mason on the other hand..his defense impressed me..he's definitely a lot quicker than last year, and it's going to be very useful when it comes to team defense..he closed out well last night, and played tough D from an individual standpoint..

Hopefully we can see more from Bogans and Hairston, since they bring something different..

z0sa
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I hate TNT. While I held my breath as Parker was on the ground grimacing in pain, as soon as he sat up stupid TNT cuts to a commercial?!

It was ESPN, Spurs play on TNT tonight, but I totally agree just as he was leaning forward to get help up it cut

benefactor
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Blair didn't look like a rookie playing his first regular season game. He looked like a guy who belonged. He looked like a veteran when the offense ran through him...he knew when to pass, work the ball around, when to take his shot. He found how to get open for easy looks, rebounded like a beast, and had just a great 1st game. I'm with you on the defense, though. He wasn't playing the pick-and-roll very well, and it was obvious he can't defend the rim when his player backs him too far under the basket. With that big body he'll just have to learn to keep his man away from the hoop.

He needs to watch some film of Chuck Hayes defending bigger players. Hayes is exceptional at using his strong base to keep the offensive player from backing him down while knowing when to move his feet...all while not fouling in the process.

thispego
10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Where is the "its cool to bash on things others like or mainstream things just to go against the grain, but it is no longer cool because it is so obvious and unoriginal" emoticon?

you kidding? they dont have an emoticon for that :rolleyes

SamoanTD
10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Thank you sir!!

florige
10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
It was ESPN, Spurs play on TNT tonight, but I totally agree just as he was leaning forward to get help up it cut

Oh okay. Well I hate them too so. :lol

angelbelow
10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write these!

Bender
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
the big three will trust the teamates early
they want to see what they can do
if they continue to shine then they will keep trusting them

fixed the syllable count for you

Big Three trust teammates
Want to see what they can do
If shine, continue

Fpoonsie
10-29-2009, 01:20 PM
the Celtics are the best team in the NBA if they're healthy IMO, but we match up with them A LOT better than we do with the Lakers..so that's why I'd rather play Boston as opposed to LA..

Orlando is the team I don't wanna play out of all of them..

Hmm...unless there was some kinda addendum added to the new traveling rule, odds are we'd have to play LA to get to EITHER ONE of the two East contenders.

:king

Brazil
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
here we go ! Thanks timvp highly appreciated !

quentin_compson
10-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Great work as always, timvp!

Duncan and Ginobili looked good and healthy enough for a first game. Both will hopefully improve as the season runs its course.

Blair committed some stupid fouls and had his problems on the defensive end, but boy, what a way to play in your first NBA game. His instinct for getting the rebound is great, and he has very good hands, too. I really really hope he won't be in Pop's doghouse when he has some shitty (comparatively speaking) games.

I was very impressed with Dice. He is just deadly with his midrange shot, and even if he has yet to gel with Duncan on the defensive end, you could already see what he can bring to the table in that department.

RJ was struggling with his shot, but I liked his athletic play. I think he can be a very decent defender for us if he focusses a little bit on that.

Bonner was good in my opinion. I even think he was as decent as he can be on the defensive end. I still hope he won't be starting by, say, January, but I liked what he was giving us.

Anyway, there is a lot of room for improvement on the defensive end, but I think we will be fine when everybody is comfortable with the system.

loveforthegame
10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the game recap. :tu

I'm not going to worry about Jefferson's shooting when he's attacking the basket. Whether he draws the foul or is kicking out to a shooter is much more important than his jump shot %. I loved how he kept moving without the ball too. No parking in the corners for this guy.

Blair is so much more than advertised. It's still hard for me to believe he landed with the Spurs.

Good to see Ginobli looking like his old self. We've been missing every bit of what he does on the floor.

McDyess looked like he'd been playing with the Spurs a few years now.

Flux451
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Chris Paul and his bitch move. Happy to see Spurs serve the Hornets.

NFGIII
10-29-2009, 01:40 PM

I wonder if any scouts/team docs are getting their asses handed to them already? Passing on Blair will not enhance one's resume. The Spurs should send thank you cards to all of them. No seriously. Well maybe not but it would be appropriate and I'm sure a heart felt gesture, too.

^^^^

He needs to watch some film of Chuck Hayes defending bigger players. Hayes is exceptional at using his strong base to keep the offensive player from backing him down while knowing when to move his feet...all while not fouling in the process.

He learns that this season he will be even more of a beast.

I was impressed with Jefferson's passing and court presence. You can just tell he's a player who's on a different level than anyone the Spurs have had supporting the big 3 in recent years. I thought he contributed in a lot of ways last night, in fact I was shocked when I saw he had only one basket because he seemed to do a lot of good things out there.

Agreed. Though he didn't score hardly at all that will come around in due time. Once that happens then it will one of those OMG! moments with many wondering how this team ever got put together. Or better yet how are the other NBA teams going to compete them. If this continues the answer will not many or just a few.

To me, Timmy looked like he was going about 60% out there. He put forth good effort, but you can tell he's carefully easing into the season. I really like that approach, actually. Last year when he was forced to carry the team early in the season I had a feeling he'd break down before it was over. If Pop can keep him just under 30 mpg in the regular season I think we'll have him at 100% at year-end when it starts to count.

Well put. Easing into it and having his minutes limited due ot our depth on the bench only bodes well for the Spurs. Imagine him playing less than 30 mpg and sitting out some of the B2Bs. Crank him up in the last 15 or so games to tune his game and he will be the TD we all know and other teams fear.

Pop is coaching like the playoffs have already started...l was impressed by his fire last night. I was impressed by the whole team's fire last night. This just looks like a team this year that believes it can win at a high level. The Big 3 are excited about their teammates, and they appear to have a lot of faith in them. Our second unit looks like it could take most team's first units. This is a scary group! I'm so excited!! :hungry:

:tu

I think Pop is going to have a very inteeresting and fun season this year. After last year's injury plagued campaign he and all the Spurs holdovers deserve it.

Now go out and get #5 :lobt:

:flag:

EricB
10-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Spurs will NEVER start fast if the starters include Bonner, Finley and Duncan. Ain't going to happen.

So Duncan should go to the bench?

Leetonidas
10-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Good take timvp. I have to agree about DeJuan Blair. While he was great offensively and on the glass, he was absolutely terrible on the defensive end. I know it takes time to learn the system so I won't fault him, but damn, Okafor and West were eating Blair up down there. All he could do was put his hands up and stand there and they'd just spin around or elevate over him.

SamoanTD
10-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Good take timvp. I have to agree about DeJuan Blair. While he was great offensively and on the glass, he was absolutely terrible on the defensive end. I know it takes time to learn the system so I won't fault him, but damn, Okafor and West were eating Blair up down there. All he could do was put his hands up and stand there and they'd just spin around or elevate over him.
I dnt knw if he wuz terrible bt yes he can get better i mean ur nt gna see blair swatting everybodys shit out the building bt i think he did good making da other big men uncomfortable stickin his big body on the them and making them work sometimes dats all u can ask for.

lefty
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
It was about fucking time Timvp :tu

Ginobili looked confident

Confident? Sounds like 2005 Manu !!!!!

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 01:56 PM

i don't think so.

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 02:01 PM
i'm not worried AT ALL by Jefferson's uneven first game. sure, he may have looked a little hesitant with his shot, but that's totally understandable. not only is he new to the team, but he's going from being the first option on the Bucks to the ?th option on the Spurs. a player of his caliber is going to shine. make no mistake.

SpursFanATL
10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Nice job as always, Timvp.

Last night was so weird. In a good way for sure, but the whole idea of Tim, Tony, & Manu as the main core truly was not the case last night. The fact that Tim didn't really have to do much, but yet to win so dominantly. Also, I can't remember the last time where there wasn't some kind of scoring drought. I mean damn. I'm going to have to get used to this. But if we stay healthy, what the hell are we going to look like come April?

Of course, if we lose tonight and the Hornets go on to win 12 games this year, then it will certainly put last night's game in its proper perspective.

duncan228
10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Duncan...seemed to be moving well laterally and he illustrated a healthy amount of quickness, however his jumping ability looked to be lacking a bit. I'm not sure whether it was the brace restricting his movement or simply Duncan being cautious -- but obviously Spurs fans should hope it was the latter. Regarding his actual play, Duncan put in good work. He rebounded very well, made good passes and had a few aggressive moves in the post. It'll be very interesting to watch his health early on in the season and see if he can physically take it to another level when the situation calls for it.

Thanks for the recap.

I think Duncan was cautious, and I think he'll continue to be for a while. He said the brace isn't bothering him but he'll only be able to get a true feel for it in games. Practice and everyday activities can't duplicate game action.

I think that he will gain his ground after a slow start. He started his summer court training a month later than he usually does, he'll need that time now. He looked better than I expected him to and I expect to see him play better each game.

Duncan did everything he could this summer to be able to stay healthy for the season. Barring injury I think we'll see Playoff Duncan when the time comes.

Spurs Brazil
10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks timvp

Chomag
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm wondering how happy Jefferson and Dice really are right now to be apart of such a great franchise.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I dnt knw if he wuz terrible bt yes he can get better i mean ur nt gna see blair swatting everybodys shit out the building bt i think he did good making da other big men uncomfortable stickin his big body on the them and making them work sometimes dats all u can ask for.

English?

anonoftheinternets
10-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm wondering how happy Jefferson and Dice really are right now to be apart of such a great franchise.

im thinkin the gret francise and their fans are happy to have jefferson and dice as well. :lobt2:

ElNono
10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks!

lefty
10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
What are you implying ? :D

lefty
10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u296/emotionless2007/cpflop.gif

Mel_13
10-29-2009, 03:04 PM

still funny

Obstructed_View
10-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Hmm...unless there was some kinda addendum added to the new traveling rule, odds are we'd have to play LA to get to EITHER ONE of the two East contenders.

:king

:lol

SpursRulez4eVeR
10-29-2009, 03:43 PM
For those who missed last night's game or wanted a recap :

1st Quarter : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUBM8T4QYvA
2nd Quarter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS02CGBTz-k
3rd Quarter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu-JZ_-wlas
4th QUarter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-00RniXZ0

I will make/upload as much as I could for this upcoming season :)

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks very much Timvp. I've been waiting for this one

EricB
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
The ball movement on the offensive end is what surprised me the most out of last night's game.

They moved the ball so crisply around the 3 point line that it looked like they had played together for months.

Usually this team doesn't get that till about February.

YoMamaIsCallin
10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Nice writeup, timvp.

The only thing that didn't resonate for me was the praise of Blair. To me, he looked a bit lost out there. His fouling was way out of control, he just didn't seem to be moving as quickly as everyone else so he got the fouls called due to awkwardness more than anything else.

On offense, he seemed pretty tentative running the plays. One time I remember Mason ran a pick and roll with him on the left side, and he sort of half rolled and left Mason in no man's land.

He was strong under the boards and on catch-and-shoot, no doubt. But I think he needs a bunch more game experience to become a good role player, much less a first-team player.

mVp
10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice recap.

PS: DeJuan Blair!

TimDunkem
10-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Nice writeup, timvp.

The only thing that didn't resonate for me was the praise of Blair. To me, he looked a bit lost out there. His fouling was way out of control, he just didn't seem to be moving as quickly as everyone else so he got the fouls called due to awkwardness more than anything else.

The guy is a rookie playing in his first regular season game. There was nothing out of control about the fouls. If there was he would've fouled out, or Pop would've limited his minutes. I assume McDyess was out of control too?

phxspurfan
10-29-2009, 04:41 PM

I totally agree with this. On top of it I think the Spurs have the roster to keep their Big 3 under 30 minutes/game on average for the entire season and still get a top-4 (if not top-2) West seed. With that I think we will be in not good but great shape going into what should be a rough-and-tumble postseason. But one game at a time... :flag:

phxspurfan
10-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Those are some great videos to relive the action. Man, that 2nd quarter was truly dominating.

One thing that sticks out, and has already been pointed out, is that RJ looks a step slow and hesitant out there. You can really see it when you compare him with the ball to guys like RMJ and Hill, and even Blair and McDyess. They all know their roles very well as shooter (RMJ), distributor (Hill), rebounder/physical big (Blair) and rebounder/physical big/midrange shooter (McD). Hopefully RJ will elarn his role and carve it out nicely like these other guys have.

clubalien
10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Nice writeup, timvp.

On offense, he seemed pretty tentative running the plays. One time I remember Mason ran a pick and roll with him on the left side, and he sort of half rolled and left Mason in no man's land.

He was strong under the boards and on catch-and-shoot, no doubt. But I think he needs a bunch more game experience to become a good role player, much less a first-team player.

I agree.

#2!
10-29-2009, 04:49 PM

As much of a dick he is when doing it, Paul thinks about basketball on level most people simply cannot. The shot he took when being intentionally fouled b/c TP was down is just genius. I mean completely dick, yes, but also incredibly intelligent.

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM

thank you for the video uploads!!

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Hopefully RJ will elarn his role and carve it out nicely like these other guys have.

Hopefully? Are you serious? That's Richard Jefferson you're talking about. The chances of him NOT figuring out his role are 0.

timtonymanu
10-29-2009, 05:34 PM
is your avatar that kid from back to the future that says marty mcfly must be rich if he has two tvs

yep he's also wayne on the wonder years.

Solid D
10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Good summary, timvp.

BTW, to give some detail to one of the Finley defensive lapses mentioned that Pop chose to single Fin out on publicly...Chris Paul scraped TP off of an elbow ball screen and Fin helped from the wing, only to decommit - thus leaving CP3 open for a FT line jumper. This is why I think Pop called the time out and got after Fin. Fin should have stayed with the rotation and trusted the corner defender to slide over to the wing. It was a classic teachable moment for the new guys about rotational D with Fin bearing the embarrassing brunt.

Manufan909
10-29-2009, 06:14 PM

EricB has made his dipshit post for the thread, hopefully he got it out of his system.:bang

And concerning Bonner leading the bigs (and everyone else for that matter) in minutes, is there any way another big could have gottn more minutes? I know Duncan should play as little as possible, Blair is a rookie getting his legs, and Dyess/Theo are getting back into shape, but damn. Give Blair/Dyess/Theo 3 more minutes each, and they can all learn the system faster.

Having 6 bigs active would also help. TP/Hill/Manu/Mason/RJ/Fin or Bogans or Hairston are more than enough for positions 1-3. Plus, with the 7 big men on the roster, only two actually really know the system, Ian is technically the third most experienced big having played half an hour in the NBA, and countless minutes with the SL, Toros, and in the preseason.

SequSpur
10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Nice Write Up Timvp..........

:spin

EricB
10-29-2009, 06:22 PM
EricB has made his dipshit post for the thread, hopefully he got it out of his system.:bang

And concerning Bonner leading the bigs (and everyone else for that matter) in minutes, is there any way another big could have gottn more minutes? I know Duncan should play as little as possible, Blair is a rookie getting his legs, and Dyess/Theo are getting back into shape, but damn. Give Blair/Dyess/Theo 3 more minutes each, and they can all learn the system faster.

Having 6 bigs active would also help. TP/Hill/Manu/Mason/RJ/Fin or Bogans or Hairston are more than enough for positions 1-3. Plus, with the 7 big men on the roster, only two actually really know the system, Ian is technically the third most experienced big having played half an hour in the NBA, and countless minutes with the SL, Toros, and in the preseason.

Who are you, the post police?

Go to hell jerk.

EmptyMan
10-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Blair was decent on defense early on. Emeka and West missed some shots when they went 1 on 1 against him in the post, mainly due to Blair's long ass arms.

Late in the game, Blair looked really winded + he was in foul trouble. He wasn't even trying to defend late in the game.

raspsa
10-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I love how the SPurs shared the offensive burden. 6 players in double digits and 3 with 9 points apiece is just great. Hopefully we don't have games with long droughts when the Spurs can't buy a basket.

Solid D
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Blair was decent on defense early on. Emeka and West missed some shots when they went 1 on 1 against him in the post, mainly due to Blair's long ass arms.

Late in the game, Blair looked really winded + he was in foul trouble. He wasn't even trying to defend late in the game.

What about the middle of the game, 3rd quarter? Maybe tonight he will be better.

Manufan909
10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Who are you, the post police?

Go to hell jerk.

That's two. Please don't triple your usual quota. And I think the true definition of a jerk would be how you responded to pesky's post. Calling out a jerk isn't the same as being one.

Fabbs
10-29-2009, 07:38 PM
The run that iced the game came early. With the Spurs down 10-4, Manu Ginobili entered the game and helped spark a 25-3 run that basically ended the contest in the first half.
Blair entered the game at 13-13 and helped continue a run that put the Spurs up 20 at the half. 18-1 was the run after Blair entered and helped with Manu, McD and co.