PDA

View Full Version : LA Clippers (36-44) at Houston (49-31)

ducks
04-17-2005, 03:24 PM
LA Clippers (36-44) at Houston (49-31)
Preview - Box Score - Recap
Game Info: 8:30 pm EDT Mon Apr 18, 2005
TV: FxW2, FxSW Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets
Before concluding the regular season against a potential playoff opponent, the Houston Rockets try to complete a second straight sweep of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Houston is tied with Sacramento for fifth place in the Western Conference, and plays its regular season finale Wednesday night against Northwest Division champion Seattle.

The Rockets have won eight straight against the Clippers, including all four meetings last season. Houston got its fifth consecutive victory Saturday night, 115-87 over the playoff-bound Denver Nuggets.

Tracy McGrady scored 32 points and reserve Mike James added 23 as Houston snapped Denver's 10-game winning streak and moved one game ahead of the Nuggets.

McGrady needs 13 points to join Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone and Hakeem Olajuwon as the only Rockets to score 2,000 points in a season.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Rockets capitalized on the absence of injured Nuggets center Marcus Camby, as Yao Ming had 13 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks. His backup, Dikembe Mutombo, added 11 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks. Mutombo and James led a dominant effort by Houston's bench, which had a season-high 56 points.

``I think the last few games have been a good chance for us to play our game,'' Yao said. ``Today was a good way for us to prepare for the pressure that we will see in the playoffs.''

The Clippers have not been to the postseason since 1997 and have not defeated a team headed to the playoffs since a 98-94 victory over Washington on March 25. Los Angeles had lost three of its previous four before posting a 94-89 victory over New Orleans on Saturday night.

Bobby Simmons scored 21 points and Elton Brand added 20 for the Clippers, who finished 27-14 at Staples Center for their best home record since recording with the same mark in 1992-93 at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.

``It means a lot,'' rookie guard Shaun Livingston said. ``We're making a home court that guys can't come into and win.''

Marko Jaric had 15 points and six assists for the Clippers, who attempted just three 3-pointers and outscored the Hornets in the paint 42-32. The Clippers conclude the regular season at New Orleans on Wednesday and can finish with a better record than the Los Angeles Lakers for the first time in 12 years.

``I heard a lot of office bets that a few of my fans made. They're telling me, `We bet you guys finish better than the Lakers. I always want them to get paid,'' Brand said. ``Twenty-seven home wins with a slew of overtime games and close games that we lost here, that's great for anybody's standards.''