PDA

View Full Version : Parker and Finishing the Fast Break

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Tonight's game takes me back. I remember watching my boy in his first few years in the league, and how I used to get frustrated with his inability to deliver the ball on the break. For several years now, this hasn't been an issue because the rest of our squad didn't run on the break and Tony finished himself.

Tonight, with Jefferson in the mix, an old monster reappeared: the indecisive TP and the botched fast break. Tony pinned Jefferson under the backboard on one fast break attempt, then on another trip couldn't get it to him at the right time and had to pull it out.

Tony...my boy...you got to get this shit down...you've been in the league too long not to be able to deliver the pass on the break. Jefferson is struggling, you got to get him going with fast break attempts.

I've got my eye on you TP.:wow

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
That's part of the chemistry issue..

Tony hasn't looked as explosive as he was last year, but he'll get it back..he needs to get in basketball shape too, even if he played during the Summer..

your issue is a good observation, but it's strictly a chemistry issue..they'll need work together..

DesignatedT
10-29-2009, 11:32 PM
derrick rose gives tony fits. no surprise there. tony will be alright. esxpect a big game from tony on sat. 25pts 10ast

EricB
10-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm sure Tony will step it up another notch now that a message board poster "has his eyes on him"

Shastafarian
10-29-2009, 11:35 PM
The only thing I worry about, and it's not necessarily reflective of tonight's game, is Tony's exhaustion/energy level. He played so much this summer that I worry he'll hit a wall. As we did see tonight, when he doesn't play well, the team suffers greatly. Hopefully keeping his minutes down a bit will help. Of course that's assuming Pop keeps his minutes down.

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 11:37 PM

Tony hasn't looked as explosive as he was last year, but he'll get it back..he needs to get in basketball shape too, even if he played during the Summer..

your issue is a good observation, but it's strictly a chemistry issue..they'll need work together..

I'll be glad to see it come together...hopefully sooner than later. Tony is so used to finishing himself (he's usually by himself on the break) it's going to be an adjustment. But at this point I think RJ needs the confidence boost, if not just the reward for running the floor.

Chomag
10-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm sure Tony will step it up another notch now that a message board poster "has his eyes on him"

LOL You really don't like people having opinions do you.

Parker2112
10-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Yeah, that last bit was meant for maximum impact on TP's fast break play. Glad you recognized it as such.:king

Zero_Twilight
10-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Tonight's game takes me back. I remember watching my boy in his first few years in the league, and how I used to get frustrated with his inability to deliver the ball on the break. For several years now, this hasn't been an issue because the rest of our squad didn't run on the break and Tony finished himself.

Tonight, with Jefferson in the mix, an old monster reappeared: the indecisive TP and the botched fast break. Tony pinned Jefferson under the backboard on one fast break attempt, then on another trip couldn't get it to him at the right time and had to pull it out.

Tony...my boy...you got to get this shit down...you've been in the league too long not to be able to deliver the pass on the break. Jefferson is struggling, you got to get him going with fast break attempts.

I agree completely with your observation.

Like somebody said though, it'll take time. It won't happen over night. This is the first time in a long time that Tony had somebody to break away with at that speed. They'll adjust. and soon we'll see a new dynamic with the offense, mainly the transition game.

When RJ and TP get this down, Timmy and gang can hang back alllll day and play some major D.

Today was a good lesson.

xellos88330
10-30-2009, 12:10 AM

I agree with this.

Numerous times tonight the Spurs had a 3-2, 2-2, 3-3, 2-1 break opportunity that was squandered due to Parkers inability to understand that any break he is a part of is extremely dangerous.

If Parker is picked up at the 3 point line while moving full speed, the defender is going to get torched. Then it is just Tony and the big. The big will have to respect Tony's inside scoring ability and cut him off from the rim leaving RJ wide open for a pretty pass. Alley oop even.

RJ runs the floor really well and was involved in every break opportunity while he was on the floor. They really do need to work on their chemistry and rip everyone apart on the break. It will be a sight to see when they get it.

MANUUU
10-30-2009, 12:11 AM
to me, it was just a major loss in confidence of this team.

crc21209
10-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I noticed it too, but it's all because of him not being in game shape just yet and the chemistry issue....it'll all work out. :tu

SenorSpur
10-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm sooo glad someone brought this up. I also noticed how poor of a fast-break, passing team the Spurs are at this point in the season. They move the ball crisply in the half-court offense, yet are not as good at finding guys open on the wing during transition breaks - Parker especially.

I realize it's only Game 2. It is nice to see some other guys running with Parker. I believe he's so accustomed to being a one-man break that he hasn't developed a habit of looking elsewhere. I'm sure this will come over time.

Parker2112
10-30-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm sooo glad someone brought this up. I also noticed how poor of a fast-break, passing team the Spurs are at this point in the season. They move the ball crisply in the half-court offense, yet are not as good at finding guys open on the wing during transition breaks - Parker especially.

I realize it's only Game 2. It is nice to see some other guys running with Parker. I believe he's so accustomed to being a one-man break that he hasn't developed a habit of looking elsewhere. I'm sure this will come over time.

It's a matter of delivering the ball at just the right moment, to the right person. Delivering it in stride, not early enough to let the defender adjust but not too late to put the offensive man too deep under the basket...

I'd like to see TP and RJ start hooking this up on a regular basis.

EricB
10-30-2009, 01:27 AM
LOL You really don't like people having opinions do you.

Never said that. If you can't find the ridiculousness in that statement, thats your fault.

tp2021
10-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Tony is so used to finishing himself

Couldn't help it.

Brazil
10-30-2009, 06:54 AM
For me TP is right now in the same situation that he was in the French NT. At the beginning he took all the load and the result was lack of involvement of his team mates then he adjusted trying to be quiet in the first half to get everybody involved and trying to make a push after the break.

He is on the same kind of situation he has a bunch of new guys that need to be involved early in the game unfortunately doing that he becomes too passive. For me no matter what he must continue to be TP: our offense leader, the adjustments will come.

Regarding fast break I think TP is like "wow there are guys here running at the same speed, wtf ?"

If things continue to follow the same standard as previous years he is going to produce huge numbers next game, we can count on it.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2009, 07:10 AM
another problem i also see with RJ is that his cutting most of the time, whereas in the past we never had the luxury of a wing player who can cut into the lane instead of camping out at the 3pt line shooting the open jumper from the outlet pass

Chomag
10-30-2009, 07:12 AM
another problem i also see with RJ is that his cutting most of the time, whereas in the past we never had the luxury of a wing player who can cut into the lane instead of camping out at the 3pt line shooting the open jumper from the outlet pass

I noticed this as well that one missed pass from Timmy to him in particular. Tim looked completely shocked when RJ cut lol

alchemist
10-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't see that as a problem, you don't want to take away RJ's abilities and just make him a 3pt shooter that would be an awful development. A lot of these issues are chemistry issues, they'll eventually work it out. When they do the Spurs will have the most potent offense the Franchise has ever seen. :toast

SpurCharger
10-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't see that as a problem, you don't want to take away RJ's abilities and just make him a 3pt shooter that would be an awful development. A lot of these issues are chemistry issues, they'll eventually work it out. When they do the Spurs will have the most potent offense the Franchise has ever seen. :toast
Agreed.... Having A slasher/Cutter Is a Good Thing.... Everyone Else should adjust to his abilities...

ducks
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
rj and tp need about 48 games together

jb4g
10-30-2009, 09:55 AM
patience grasshopper, by midseason those two will be combining for some sick alley-oops

hater
10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
to me, it was just a major loss in confidence of this team.

yeah they will never get over losing a regular season game

MoSpur
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Man! TPark's (Eric B) retarded comments haven't gotten old. Someone starts a good post about Tony having to start to get used to Jefferson running the break with him and TPark makes a stupid remark that has nothing to do with the post. Typical. TPark, get over yourself bro.

ElNono
10-30-2009, 11:06 AM
rj and tp need about 48 games together

I noticed TP is not the same since he joined Facebook...
Less Facebook and more practice for TP...

Mel_13
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM

I remember watching an interview with Tony, probably during the 2007 Finals, where he talked about being a rookie on a team with Robinson and Duncan. He said something like "Pop told me the only time I could shoot is if I beat David and Timmy down the court".

Have to believe that the chemistry will develop. They may need 20 games or so for it really to look natural. I think most folks accepted that reality before opening night. The success against the Hornets really raised expectations.

TacoCabanaFajitas
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM

Seriously man what the fuck is your problem? Every time I'm reading a thread and get to one of your posts I have to fucking skip it to avoid wasting 3 seconds of my life. I'm relatively new here and have no idea why you're such a fucking prick to anyone that doesn't hold your view of Finley or the Spurs FO and coaching. Maybe you were picked on growing up and never got to talk with the big boys, so you compensate by trying to seem like this mature super-poster on Spurstalk only to come off as a douche. You're better off just lurking and not posting because you honestly bring nothing to this forum bro, it's almost like you have a bot running on your computer that has 3 auto-responses anytime someone types Finley or Pop.

ducks
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
tp would be in more game shape if pop would have let him practice more in preason
with rj

what handle is tp in facebook?

ElNono
10-30-2009, 11:09 AM
tp would be in more game shape if pop would have let him practice more in preason
with rj
nothing to do with facebook

Payback is a bitch... :lol

TacoCabanaFajitas
10-30-2009, 11:12 AM
And now that I got that out of the way, Parker will get this fixed. It's going to take a few games for everyone to know the proper way to fill the lane on a fastbreak and where and when to expect a pass. The bigger issue last night was the Tonys jumper clanking off of the pick and roll, and him not trying to get to the basket

Solid D
10-30-2009, 11:20 AM
You make some fair points to consider but I disagree with this:

For several years now, this hasn't been an issue because the rest of our squad didn't run on the break and Tony finished himself.

TP may be out-running his teammates but they do run the break almost every time. Tony still needs to improve his awareness and slow up to make a decision at the FT line before the angles close.

xtremesteven33
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
You make some fair points to consider but I disagree with this:

TP may be out-running his teammates but they do run the break almost every time. Tony still needs to improve his awareness and slow up to make a decision at the FT line before the angles close.

Youre right. Tony does have some players run the fast break with him but those players dont run to the basket with him they stop at the 3 point line.
If Parker cant get a good shot under the basket he will throw it out to the 3 point line for a open shot.

Not a bad option but now that we have the athletic players to run with him Parker needs to practice better court vision. It also has alot to do with time and chemistry. Parker out of all the former players has the most adjusting to do with this new squad. It will take time but im pretty confident that Parker wont force the issue but rather let the game come to himself.

But then again maybe thats why we lost last night. Parker never took the initiative and decided it was time to stop trying to get everyone involved and just win the game....

spurspokesman
10-30-2009, 12:06 PM

And RJ has to look to finish strong and not double clutch against the shorter player.Go for the slam if not get the foul.