PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts regarding Spurs IR

xellos88330
10-30-2009, 02:44 AM
I really think that Pop has the wrong people sitting on IR. I believe all three have something to prove.

Ian should be tested to see if he will be inspired to play better since his future is now hanging in the balance.

Haislip is hungry to prove to himself that he belongs in the NBA.

Hairston has shown us all that he has the talent, just needs the time.

I think that Pop should rotate through the IR pipeline to see if anything has come up yet. The Spurs front line just couldn't keep up with the speed of the Bulls front court. Young legs will give you that speed.

Thoughts?

Mel_13
10-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Hairston, yes.

xellos88330
10-30-2009, 02:49 AM
Hairston, yes.

I was thinking that you could rotate Hairston and Bogans on and off the IR. As far as the bigs are concerned, rotate them out depending on which team you are facing.

For example, I would have rather seen Mahinmi or Haislip on the court instead of Bonner at times.

Riverwalkman
10-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Hairston should play in back to back games more instead of Finley. We brought in young guys for energy, not just a feeder in practice.

objective
10-30-2009, 04:00 AM
I don't think there's a great reason for any of the three inactive now to be so, except maybe being too big heavy with TD, McD, Bonner, Blair, Ian and Haislip on the roster at the same time.

Bogans, Ratliff, and probably Finley need to be put away.

Bogans is not an NBA player, any more than Udoka. Udoka is where he belongs, out of the NBA. Bogans somehow got signed at the last minute because the Spurs panicked. At his age he won't be getting better.

Ratliff is a usable utility player who is pretty much a Massenburg. You don't need him active every game. He's not good enough at this point of his career to deserve a spot in a short rotation. Just keep him ready and hopefully un-injured for emergencies.

Finley should be in the Steve Smith role of 2003. That is the never plays except in blowouts role. Except he shouldn't even be active. The sad truth is that Smith began 02-03 as the starter. Pop would have stuck with him except the injuries gave S-Jackson the room to force his way into the role. But Finley is an iron man. And all the posters who swore up and down over the offseason that Finley would only be a spot player who would at most play 10 minutes a game? LOL, come on.

I'm not saying that the three inactive guys now are world-beaters. But certainly Hairston has the best chance to make a big impact. He can defend and hustle and make plays. And Haislip and Mahinmi would just offer a different flavor for those times when the real rotation is getting nothing done and Pop throws his hands up and empties the bench.

silverblackfan
10-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I agree about Malik needs to be available. I like rotating Bogans and Malik, or Ratliff and Bogans. The extra energy and hustle he has shown and much improved shot would have been a nice option.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Not sure about Haislip

urunobili
10-30-2009, 08:24 AM
IR Bogans and Ratliff re activate Haislip and Hairston

Agloco
10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I really think that Pop has the wrong people sitting on IR. I believe all three have something to prove.

Ian should be tested to see if he will be inspired to play better since his future is now hanging in the balance.

I think that Pop should rotate through the IR pipeline to see if anything has come up yet. The Spurs front line just couldn't keep up with the speed of the Bulls front court. Young legs will give you that speed.

Thoughts?

Hairston > Finley

Play him.

hater
10-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Pop should put in the IR whoever played with the least effort the previous game. So next game it should be Mason + Finley in the IR

SamoanTD
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
yea I like hairston 2 he should play instead of finley rite nw its early in the season we need to use these first games on our young guys while its still early while nt everybody in the league is at game ready speed u knw? I wanna see haislip or mahinmi 2 i mean if ur nt gna sign mahimi bacc at least use him while u got him u knw? Also i jus wanna see haislip play I think if he could get sum time he could proably put together a good game dat can be useful.

spurspokesman
10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't think there's a great reason for any of the three inactive now to be so, except maybe being too big heavy with TD, McD, Bonner, Blair, Ian and Haislip on the roster at the same time.

Bogans, Ratliff, and probably Finley need to be put away.

Bogans is not an NBA player, any more than Udoka. Udoka is where he belongs, out of the NBA. Bogans somehow got signed at the last minute because the Spurs panicked. At his age he won't be getting better.

Ratliff is a usable utility player who is pretty much a Massenburg. You don't need him active every game. He's not good enough at this point of his career to deserve a spot in a short rotation. Just keep him ready and hopefully un-injured for emergencies.

Finley should be in the Steve Smith role of 2003. That is the never plays except in blowouts role. Except he shouldn't even be active. The sad truth is that Smith began 02-03 as the starter. Pop would have stuck with him except the injuries gave S-Jackson the room to force his way into the role. But Finley is an iron man. And all the posters who swore up and down over the offseason that Finley would only be a spot player who would at most play 10 minutes a game? LOL, come on.

I'm not saying that the three inactive guys now are world-beaters. But certainly Hairston has the best chance to make a big impact. He can defend and hustle and make plays. And Haislip and Mahinmi would just offer a different flavor for those times when the real rotation is getting nothing done and Pop throws his hands up and empties the bench.
Thats pretty much the sum of it.

wildbill2u
10-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Thoughts?

At this time of year I think Pop should experiment with these guys, especially in blow outs like NO.--but they weren't suited up

NRHector
10-30-2009, 12:10 PM
I need to put myself in the IR, it was painful to see that defense:lol

elbamba
10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Last night showed that we are not a great rebounding team, especially when we play Finley and Bonner at th same time. I think that Harriston is the way to go instead of Bogans.

However, Pop will never do this because he knows that none of the replacements for Finley and Bonner have the system down yet and he is not about to take out two players who know the offense and defense, even though their defense sucks and they get burned because of it.

Flux451
10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Against young athletic teams(a lot of teams now)...IR Bogans and Ratliff

SamoanTD
10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
maybe pop is trying to take sum of spotlight off the spurs by starting bonner and findog and makin us look bad and old and all that other stuff the whole NBA thinks then when the time is rite kik it into overdrive lol

Flux451
10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Last night showed that we are not a great rebounding team, especially when we play Finley and Bonner at th same time. I think that Harriston is the way to go instead of Bogans.

However, Pop will never do this because he knows that none of the replacements for Finley and Bonner have the system down yet and he is not about to take out two players who know the offense and defense, even though their defense sucks and they get burned because of it.

It's still our preseason so Pop should be experiamenting with new players

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm not a fan of Haislip, I don't think he's an NBA player, but I'm all for everybody getting a shot to contribute, so I'm sure he'll get his chance..hopefully he can provide something..

If Ratliff isn't even going to play, I'd rather have Ian on the roster..Ratliff is going to be more reliable this year, but we'll have to see if Pop plans on using him at all, or just have him play spot minutes during blowouts..

Hairston is a no-brainer..he looked good in the NBA last year during his short stint..he's looked great in SL and preseason..he brings something we don't have on the team, instead of having Mason and Finley playing the same style of basketball..this isn't a "new" guy..he knows the system, and he's had good games against other NBA rotation talent..

I'm sure they'll all get a chance to show their worth..hopefully..

Games like the upcoming one against Sacramento should be about letting the younger guys try to make a name for themselves IMO..

xellos88330
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
maybe pop is trying to take sum of spotlight off the spurs by starting bonner and findog and makin us look bad and old and all that other stuff the whole NBA thinks then when the time is rite kik it into overdrive lol

:lol

I had thought about that too. I am all for a deception battle plan.

SamoanTD
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
:lol

I had thought about that too. I am all for a deception battle plan.

lol yes yes my brother u will see the genius of pop lol

Thompson
10-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I wonder if he'll bring out the big guns after the trade deadline to avoid any 'Lakers trade spare parts for Kevin Durant' headlines.

What is the point of the rule that only allows the Spurs to suit up 12 guys? You should be able to play all 15 if you want to; that way you could get some of your younger players some experience in the event of a blowout (I'd rather watch them play in the event of a blowout anyway).

Since the rule is there, though, I would like to see at least Hairston and Mahinmi against younger teams like the Bulls. Their guys were running like crazy after every loose ball while our players just plodded around. Hairston had their energy in preseason, I wish we had him last night.

Ibanezsr
10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
It's still our preseason so Pop should be experiamenting with new players

He is with Jefferson, Dice & Blair... I also would like to get Hairston, Hailsap involved but right now it's important that Pop gets the 1st 3 worked into the system.. Nobody can honestly think SA would be good with 6 new guys trying to learn the system at the same time can they? That makes no sense.... Once Dice, Jeff & Blair get comfortable then we will see some of the others...

silverblackfan
10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
He is with Jefferson, Dice & Blair... I also would like to get Hairston, Hailsap involved but right now it's important that Pop gets the 1st 3 worked into the system.. Nobody can honestly think SA would be good with 6 new guys trying to learn the system at the same time can they? That makes no sense.... Once Dice, Jeff & Blair get comfortable then we will see some of the others...

I agree with this except for Hairston. He has had some time in the system and the sub-system with the Toros. In addition, he has shown a good chemistry with Hill and Manu. Let him grab 5-8 minutes of Finely's time.