PDA

View Full Version : Blair's Learning Curve

2Cleva
10-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Blair's Learning Curve
By Graydon Gordian
TrueHoop Network

The hype surrounding DeJuan Blair reached a fever pitch after the rookie scored 14 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in his pro debut against the Hornets on Wednesday. After Thursday's loss to the Bulls, fans' expectations for Blair may have come back down to Earth.

Before we collectively overreact in the opposite direction, let's be clear: six points and four rebounds in 12 minutes is a respectable line for a guy who has played a grand total of two NBA games. But the exuberance Spurs' fans felt after his line on opening night masked some of the weaknesses that were more easily identifiable this evening. And by weaknesses, I am primarily referring to his defense.

Before the game, Gregg Popovich said every aspect of Blair's game except rebounding needs improvement. And, like nearly every aspect of his game except rebounding, he is far from his ceiling as a defender. He has a preternatural sense of spacing that lends itself to the complicated rotation defenses Popovich require. And he has the core body strength to be physical without being foul prone.

But as things currently stand, he is both physical and foul prone. He plays far too much defense with his hands, and far too little with his feet and chest. His unbelievably long reach only exacerbates the problem. Once he commits himself to the necessity of lateral movement, his length will be an asset. Currently, his 7' 3" wingspan serves as a crutch.

Certainly Blair's defensive struggles aren't for lack of effort. If anything, a more tempered approach might do the rookie some good.

After the game I spoke with Antonio McDyess about his tutelage of Blair. McDyess mentioned that after Popovich pulled Blair from the game because of one too many unnecessary fouls, Blair was hard on himself as he returned to the bench.

"He was frustrated because he went in the game and things didn't go the way they normally do for him," said McDyess. "For me, on the bench, I'm sitting there like, 'man, this is your second game, and you got a second half. You gotta put that behind you. We got a second half and 80 more games to go.'"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091029

Chomag
10-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm hoping Dice actually spoke to Blair rather then how the article states that he was just thinking of Blair on the bench. The Kid needs that kind of guidance

silverblackfan
10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm hoping Dice actually spoke to Blair rather then how the article states that he was just thinking of Blair on the bench. The Kid needs that kind of guidance

And lose an ARM because Beast was still in a bad mood? Not likely. Best to wait until he cools down and send a memo...

Agloco
10-30-2009, 09:18 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091029

Good article and right on point. People are expecting a double double out of him every night. That's simply not realistic. He's gonna put up good numbers, he's shown that consistently now. The X-Factor for Blair is the fouls and defensive matchups which are going dictate how long Pop stays with him.

MarCowMar
10-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Chomag: ++

Or maybe Dice knew Blair would read it in the paper in the morning. :)

Solid D
10-30-2009, 11:28 AM

"For me, on the bench, I'm sitting there like, 'man, this is your second game, and you got a second half. You gotta put that behind you. We got a second half and 80 more games to go.'"

Where does it say Dice was just thinking of Blair?

xtremesteven33
10-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Blair is in the PERFECT situation to grow as a player. Hes not in a pressure situation where he HAS to produce right away for his team to win. He has alot of time and oppurtuinity to learn and grow from some of the best players in the NBA.

NRHector
10-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Blair will be a great player at his age he acts more mature and plays better than some players that have been in the league longer than him:flag:

SamoanTD
10-30-2009, 11:48 AM
blair will be just fine dnt wry bout him

SpuronyourFace
10-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I think there is more overreaction to the bulls game, than to what blair did in the hornets game.

He'll be fine.

Danny.Zhu
10-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Was his D good in Pittsburgh?

will_spurs
10-30-2009, 12:20 PM
1st NBA game:
- Robinson: (34m) 23pts, 17rbds, 3blks, 1ast
- Duncan: (35m) 15pts, 10rbds, 2blks, 2 asts
- Blair: (22m) 14pts, 11rbds, 3 asts

2nd NBA game:
- Robinson: (40m) 19pts, 18rbds, 8blks (!!!), 2 asts (and 4 steals!)
- Duncan: (23m) 9pts, 5rbds, 2 blks, 4 asts
- Blair: (12m) 6pts, 4rbds

Everything still going as planned... :D

SamoanTD
10-30-2009, 12:57 PM
1st NBA game:

2nd NBA game:

robinson the ORIGINAL BEAST lol

Chomag
10-30-2009, 01:07 PM
1st NBA game:

2nd NBA game:

God Damn, I'm so sad I missed out on D-robs First season(I became a Spurs fun that years playoffs. HEY! I was like 12 years old =P). He was a freaking beast!

Man In Black
10-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I will say this, the guy is talented. He has skills but what he needs is familiarity. I can agree that he is out of position at times but with familiarity he will get better. He will get better. So the operative word of the day is familiarity. I'm sure the Spurs Video staff will have loads of DVDs for him once they get a good library of moves and sets, he'll get that familiarity.

Agloco
10-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Apples and Oranges really. He's competing against an entirely different level of talent now. Bigs can move side to side with ease in the NBA. He needs a lot of work on his lateral quickness and reaction times to pick and roll situations.

Not at all unexpected. Most everyone figured he'd struggle on the defensive end for the better part of a year.

CGD
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
1st NBA game:

2nd NBA game:

David Robinson was the total package.

InRareForm
10-30-2009, 01:50 PM
this microscope on blair is getting ridicolous. The guy is good but a rookie of course. Let us not dissect every game that he plays. Wait until at LEAST we get thru a 1/4 to 1/2 season to make any firm judgements.

DPG21920
10-30-2009, 02:40 PM
"You are joking right?"

- EricB

siraulo23
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Dejuan on Twitter: Good morning we gonna Bounce back we r ok it's only the second game we r fine 80 more to go lol go spurs go!!!!! 5 hours ago

PM5K
10-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I think he played pretty well considering the fact that he played ten minutes less than the first game. If you do that math his rebounding rate was exactly the same, however his point scoring rate was a little lower.

Still his biggest problems are defense and fouls. Some of the foul calls were stupid mistakes on his part, which I doubt he'll continue to do, some where phantom calls, and some were legit. The phantom calls could also be considered rookie calls, calls he won't get in his favor since he's a rookie.

I think we'll see him do better and better as far as fouls pretty quickly, the movement on defense will take more time, but if Finley can get minutes on this team with his defense, Blair can too if he can continue to score and rebound like he has.

D_Blair45_fan
10-30-2009, 05:18 PM

He basically had the same issues in that article at Pittsburgh. He has very quick hands and feet. He tends to take risks and use his quick hands to go for steals (actually led Pitt in steals those two years he was on the team). He needs to learn to use his feet and chest like the article says.

Muser
10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
1st NBA game:

2nd NBA game:

Damn DRob...

Spursmania
10-30-2009, 06:01 PM
He basically had the same issues in that article at Pittsburgh. He has very quick hands and feet. He tends to take risks and use his quick hands to go for steals (actually led Pitt in steals those two years he was on the team). He needs to learn to use his feet and chest like the article says.

Interesting. He has the talent, he just needs more mentoring on D and game experience. He know how to use his butt, now he has to learn to use his chest.

Solid D
10-30-2009, 06:18 PM
"For me, on the bench, I'm sitting there like, 'man, this is your second game, and you got a second half. You gotta put that behind you. We got a second half and 80 more games to go.'" - Antonio McDyess

Where does it say Dice was just thinking of Blair?

Dejuan on Twitter: Good morning we gonna Bounce back we r ok it's only the second game we r fine 80 more to go lol go spurs go!!!!! 5 hours ago

There you go. 'Looks like Antonio verbalized to DeJuan.

SpurNation
10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
And so he was hard on himself...took owness for his play...came back out and played decent...wants to become better...is willing to listen...takes responsibility to become better in the NBA...and doesn't make excuses for anything beyond his control only to learn by it.

What a horrible player to have on your team.

By the way...he had an average game considering he is 20 years old and played in only his 2nd regular season game. But we have come to expect more than average from just his brief appearnaces and performances....What was the excuse for the rest of the team other than Duncan that has more experience than Blair?

Mel_13
10-30-2009, 07:39 PM
And so he was hard on himself...took owness for his play...came back out and played decent...wants to become better...is willing to listen...takes responsibility to become better in the NBA...and doesn't make excuses for anything beyond his control only to learn by it.

What a horrible player to have on your team.

By the way...he had an average game considering he is 20 years old and played in only his 2nd regular season game. But we have come to expect more than average from just his brief appearnaces and performances....What was the excuse for the rest of the team other than Duncan that has more experience than Blair?

I think you're missing the point. I don't think we have any Blair critics here yet. There are some, myself included, who are already tired of those that think more minutes for Blair is the solution for all problems.

Russ
10-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Blair's Learning Curve
By Graydon Gordian
TrueHoop Network

After the game I spoke with Antonio McDyess about his tutelage of Blair. McDyess mentioned that after Popovich pulled Blair from the game because of one too many unnecessary fouls, Blair was hard on himself as he returned to the bench.

Another sensational sign from Blair. This guy is just too good to be true. :)

raspsa
10-30-2009, 11:56 PM
1st NBA game:

2nd NBA game:

I'm looking forward to you posting their comparative stats for the entire regular season...:lol

callo1
10-31-2009, 01:10 AM
LOS ANGELES(AP) Dirk Nowitzki scored 21 points and the Dallas Mavericks were 25 of 32 from the free throw line in routing the Los Angeles Lakers 94-80 Friday night for their first win of the season.

Nowitzki made 10 of 11 from the line and grabbed 10 rebounds, Shawn Marion added 18 points and Jason Terry 16 to end the Mavs' six-game losing streak against the defending NBA champions. They hadn't won against the Lakers at Staples Center since March 11, 2007.

Erick Dampier had 10 rebounds and Jason Kidd had 11 assists.

Kobe Bryant led the Lakers with 20 points. Andrew Bynum had 14 points and 10 rebounds, and reserve Shannon Brown added 12 points.

While the Mavs paraded to the line as the Lakers racked up 29 fouls, Los Angeles got there just 14 times, hitting nine shots.

The Lakers never made a run in the fourth, getting derailed by horrendous shooting and turnovers by Lamar Odom, Josh Powell and Bryant. Their lone highlight was Brown's thundering dunk off Bryant's jumper that bounced off the rim. It got the crowd on its feet in a collective exclamation even with the Lakers trailing by 12.

The fans were on their feet again to hit the exits with three minutes remaining and the Mavs ahead 90-73.

Dallas extended its lead to 73-54 in the third on a 13-2 run, with four points from Nowitzki and five by Terry. Two free throws and a driving layup by Jose Barea later gave Dallas its largest lead of 22 points. Barea finished with 12 points.

The Lakers were called for two technicals, including Ron Artest's first of the season moments after he was whistled for his fourth foul and went to the bench. Lakers coach Phil Jackson brought back Brown and Jordan Farmar, who were productive during the second quarter, but it didn't help. The Lakers scored just 15 points in the period and trailed 78-60 going into the fourth.

The Mavericks led 52-45 at halftime, helped by 15 of 18 free-throw shooting. Jackson went deep into his bench in the second quarter, bringing in Brown, Farmar and Luke Walton for a stretch against the Mavs' second unit.

Brown was especially effective, scoring 10 points, and Bynum added eight to draw Los Angeles into a tie at 37. But the Mavs dominated the final 4 1/2 minutes, outscoring the Lakers 15-8 despite Bryant returning during that run.

So the Blair hype had reached the point where a reality check was needed then? Sounds kind of like the >72 game talk I had been hearing from a different camp. :rollin

will_spurs
10-31-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm looking forward to you posting their comparative stats for the entire regular season...:lol

It's a kind of running joke after many people (including ESPN Daily Dime if my memory is correct) decided to compare Blair's 1st game stat line to HoF-ers like D-Rob and Duncan. Even Pop made a side comment comparing Duncan's rookie season and Blair's.

I'm in the "level-headed" camp of people who realize the Spurs lucked out on serious talent with Blair, a player who basically has as much upside as pretty much any forward I can think of. But still a rookie... still with only 2 NBA games under his belt... and with all the future unknowns (and some present knowns) that can derail a promising career.

And in conclusion I still think he's holding his own pretty well when you compare his production to others, especially given the low number of minutes played. Which leads me quickly to another point: the interventionism of Pop vs the laid back approach of Jackson, who is well known to let his players "sink" - it's their responsibility to get their head over the waterline again. I wish that in a lost game like Chicago's he would let a guy like Blair play (and if needed foul out) even though he is making mistakes. I don't get the point of pulling guys out of the game as soon as they are making mistakes.

ulosturedge
10-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Would have been nice to have the complete package from Blair out of the box, but I think that would be asking a bit much. I know I was guilty of thinking, "hey if he's a good rebounder he must be a good defender." The two don't always go hand in hand. Everything is good though cause the potential is there. If the Spurs can get Bonner to improve his footwork on defense i'm sure they can do the same with Blair.

Bukefal
10-31-2009, 05:27 AM
This is normal, Blair will be fine. The beastttt

exstatic
10-31-2009, 11:45 AM

Yeah, his defense is going to be based on getting to, and holding his position. If he does that, he'll be fine because he'll get more than his share of rebounds. Pop always says that the defense isn't over until possession is secured. DeJuan will tilt the balance in our favor in that regard.