PDA

View Full Version : Denver slips past Blazers 97-94

tlongII
10-30-2009, 09:01 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/denver_slips_past_blazers_97-9.html

Go ahead and say it's only the second game of the season.

Feel free to blame uncharacteristic poor shooting and foul trouble. And be sure to dwell on the fact that there are 80 games left in the marathon of an NBA season.

Do all of that, Rip City, but don't overlook something else.

This one hurt. And six months from now, if the Trail Blazers find themselves in a neck-and-neck tussle for playoff positioning and, perhaps, a Northwest Division championship, they can look back on Thursday night's debacle as a black eye.

The Denver Nuggets capitalized on an MVP-caliber performance from All-Star Carmelo Anthony and two missed free throws from Greg Oden in the closing seconds to steal a 97-94 victory from the Blazers at the Rose Garden.

The loss could come back to bite the Blazers months from now if the season unfolds anything like last season, when the Blazers and Nuggets finished tied and the Nuggets earned a higher playoff seed because they owned the tie-breaker.

Nuggets coach George Karl appreciated the moment afterward, when he praised his team in the locker room.

"You guys have an amazing way of figuring out how to win games," Karl told his players. "But either way it would have been a fun game."

The Nuggets led 95-91 after Nene fought Oden for back-to-back rebounds and converted a layup with 1:05 left in the game. Roy answered with a basket to cut the lead to 95-93 and wild, mistake-filled final seconds followed for the Blazers.

After a timeout, Anthony had a rare miss and Nene committed a loose-ball foul on the rebound that sent him to the bench with six personal fouls and LaMarcus Aldridge to the free throw line with 35.5 seconds left.

But Aldridge made just one of two and the Nuggets maintained a precarious 95-94 lead.

On the ensuing possession, Chauncey Billups missed a jumper and Martell Webster corralled the rebound, giving the Blazers one last chance.

After a timeout, Roy gathered a pass on the wing and the sellout crowd of 20,218 thought for sure their All-Star would drain another heroic game-winner during a nationally televised game -- just as he did against Houston last season.

But Roy drove toward the hoop and could not find a shot, so he dumped the ball to Oden in the lane. He was fouled by Kenyon Martin, setting up two free throws.

Oden missed both. And after Anthony made two free throws with 1.9 seconds left, Roy's desperation shot drew nothing but air and the Blazers lost a crucial game against a division rival.

"I put this loss on me," said Oden, who shot 63.7 percent from the free throw line last season. "I need to step up and make those."

Anthony was sensational throughout, finishing with 41 points. He made 11 of 21 shots and routinely made it to the free throw line, making 18 of 19. The player Blazers coach Nate McMillan said was on a "mission" to win an MVP trophy this season carried the Nuggets in the first half (20 points) and down the stretch, when he scored 10 of their final 12 points.

McMillan said before tipoff the Blazers would have to bring a "nasty" style against the Nuggets, one of the NBA's most physical teams. And for much of the game, the teams went head-to-head in a rugged, scrappy game.

The Blazers held their ground throughout and led 81-74 with 7:19 remaining. But the Nuggets were too poised, too tough and too determined down the stretch.

It didn't help that the Blazers shot an abysmal 34.6 percent from the field (28 of 81), including just 26.3 percent from the three-point line (5 of 19). Aldridge made just 4 of 15 shots and finished with nine points, and Travis Outlaw (1 of 8) and Andre Miller (3 for 11) also labored from the field.

"They took away our inside game and we didn't shoot it well enough," McMillan said. "I thought we settled for too many early shots."

The loss squandered sometimes-breathtaking performances from Roy and Rudy Fernandez, who alternated dynamic quarters in the second half. Roy was automatic in the third, scoring 16 of his team-high 30 points. Fernandez had his turn in the fourth, scoring 16 of his 22 points.

Webster also played with fire and grit, blocking Anthony twice and finishing with 10 points.

Notes: Saturday night's game at Houston will air on KXL (750) instead of KXTG (95.5) because of the Oregon-USC college football game. ... It was the 73rd consecutive sellout for the Blazers. ... The Blazers had just seven turnovers after committing 26 on opening night. ... Neither team led by double figures at any point of the game.

Culburn369
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
It's a pisser, t.

ducks
10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
and two missed free throws from Greg Oden in the closing seconds

lol

tlongII
10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey shit happens. You just roll on brutha.

Culburn369
10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I fell asleep as the fourth quarter tipped off feelin' good, t. Woke up 3 hours later to the bad news.

Collins made a big deal out of that one guy spendin' the summer with Oden, training & teaching him, but, the look on Oden's face is a bit alarming. He just looks like he wants so much to be somewhere else.

clambake
10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
why was oden playing for the nuggets in a blazers jersey?

hater
10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
"slips"?? LMAO

Blazers choked especially Oden :lol

Spursmania
10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
non-issue.

resistanze
10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Melo lit that ass up.

tlongII
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Melo played great, but we couldn't hit shit. The refs decided to call a foul on virtually every possession which completely disrupted the flow of the game and benefited the Nuggets since they were on the back end of a B2B as well.

JustBlaze
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey, Oden wasn't the only guy that missed critical free throws down the stretch, Roy, Miller, along with whats his face missed a free throw too. Overall, I expected the Blazers to win, but I'll take the W too.

Crookshanks
10-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I stayed up to watch the end of that game. I couldn't believe how many freethrows the Blazers missed in the last two minutes. They gave that game away. But Carmelo was an absolute beast - 30+ point games two consecutive nights.

Spurs should've watched that game - the Nuggets never let up on the intensity, and they didn't get into their hotel until about 4 am.

hater
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
The refs decided to call a foul on virtually every possession which completely disrupted the flow of the game and benefited the Nuggets since they don't choke.

fixed

The Franchise
10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Melo played great, but we couldn't hit shit. The refs decided to call a foul on virtually every possession which completely disrupted the flow of the game and benefited the Nuggets since they were on the back end of a B2B as well.

Well they were hitting less than you guys were. You guys had that game and gave it away. If I were you guys I woul try to trade Pryzbilla and another good young piece for a scoring center. An offensive post presence would really help you shooters.

Mel_13
10-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Well they were hitting less than you guys were. You guys had that game and gave it away. If I were you guys I woul try to trade Pryzbilla and another good young piece for a scoring center. An offensive post presence would really help you shooters.

Blazers had two great opportunities to add a difference maker to the team without giving up anything but some of Paul Allen's money; at the trade deadline last year with Raef's 12.7M expiring deal and then in free agency this summer. All they got was Andre Miller. Now they'll have to give up basketball assets to improve.

carrao45
10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey shit happens. You just roll on brutha.

Greg Oden has the worst post-game in the NBA.

redzero
10-30-2009, 02:56 PM

And how exactly is that an excuse for Portland to lose on their home court?

You keep claiming that The Blazers are great, yet they lost to the Nuggets at home. Denver didn't even have that friend killing thug.

Kobe™
10-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey at least you guys COULD get the 4th seed.