PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barkley vs. Autzen Stadium looks like a Halloween thriller

tlongII
10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/10/canzano_matt_barkley_vs_autzen.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/john_canzano_impact/photo/barkleyosujpg-8f71c9dd12ce76c7_large.jpg
Matt Barkley prepares to pass against Oregon State last week in the friendly confines of the Coliseum in Los Angeles

He looked brilliant in his last game. And then, he didn't. Still, Matt Barkley, freshman quarterback at the University of Southern California, insists he isn't afraid to play at Autzen Stadium on Saturday.

It's a road game.

It's Halloween night.

The weather could be sketchy, and he's facing the Pacific-10 Conference's most aggressive and impressive defense.

No worries, right? Right?

Said Barkley: "I hear it's loud and the fans are crazy. I'm not going to change anything I do, but I can't wait to go up there."

Understand. I wouldn't expect Barkley to declare his fear. Nor would I expect a guy capable of winning college football's glamour job as a freshman to back down from a road challenge in front of 59,000 fans.

Also, Barkley is going to be terrific someday. And he had a game-winning drive against Ohio State early in the season. But against Oregon State last week he threw for 202 yards and two interceptions. A third errant pass was picked off, too, but called back after a roughing-the-passer call.

What I'm trying to say is, the guy is young. And young quarterbacks make mistakes. So what we have here is the perfect storm for a quarterback with no proof that he can weather one. And I think Autzen Stadium ends up being the difference.

It's not the loudest stadium in the country. It's not the biggest home field advantage. But on Halloween night, in a nationally televised game, performing at Autzen Stadium ends up as the biggest challenge of Barkley's career.

Add the possibility of rain. Throw in the fact that Oregon's fans believe the Ducks can win this game. And what you have is a hostile situation that feels about as far away from Southern California as one could get.

Trojans coach Pete Carroll spent the week talking about stopping Ducks quarterback Jeremiah Masoli. And that will be a factor, but the act that Carroll is truly performing is one of attempting to take the focus, and pressure, off his own guy.

Against Oregon State Barkley was terrific, then shaky. Often on successive plays. He underthrew an open receiver and the result was an interception. Then, he threw a beautiful ball down the sideline for a touchdown.

He scrambled. He had poise. But in the end, as the Trojans called pass plays, ahead by six with a few minutes to play, it became clear that they were trying to get him to break the 200-yard mark.

Said Carroll: "I loved that we ended the game on offense with the ball in Matt's hands."

USC has failed to close out opponents this season, though, hasn't it? The Trojans didn't put Ohio State away. They let Notre Dame hang around. They allowed the Beavers to get back into the game last Saturday.

That's reflective of a young team with a young leader.

In Barkley's last three games (California, Notre Dame, Oregon State) he's thrown four touchdowns to go with four interceptions. Since the season opener against San Jose State, he's completed more than 60 percent of his passes in a game only once in five tries. In fact, he's been outplayed more often by his counterpart, but because he's the USC coverboy the national media loves him.

Saturday, that guy meets the Autzen crowd.

They're not going to be impressed with his pedigree. Or his big play capability. They won't care that he's a can't-miss NFL prospect who is 6-0 as a starter this season. But they will scream through their Halloween masks for his spleen.

After USC's victory over Oregon State last week I stuck around Los Angeles, looking for Barkley material. And what I found was a city in love with the idea of a young, good-looking, talented quarterback.

I found Barkley to be engaging. And quotable. And I learned that Barkley believes he will somehow feed off the Autzen crowd. And maybe he'll do just that against the Ducks. Or maybe he won't, and USC will get run out of the building.

What we have here is another sociological experiment. There are two teams here, and an offense vs. a defense. But also, there is an environment, and weird energy provided by a night game on an already strange holiday in an environment that prides itself on being uncomfortable for opponents.

I saw in Barkley a guy with so much confidence he thinks he can beat anything.

What I didn't see in Barkley was a guy who understands exactly what he's up against. He doesn't know the environment, or understand how long people here have waited for the opportunity to see someone dethrone USC football. And if the king is going down it's going to take a swift, decisive attempt on the throne to do it.

Barkley said he can't wait to get to Eugene.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes. Or maybe it's a curse.

We find out which on Saturday.