PDA

View Full Version : Hoopsworld: Jefferson Struggling and Loving It

duncan228
10-30-2009, 01:03 PM
It's got quotes.

Jefferson Struggling and Loving It (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14184)
By: Joel Brigham

It's been a rough start to the season for new San Antonio Spurs forward Richard Jefferson, scoring only a total of 14 points on 4-for-16 shooting over the course of his first two games, but despite what can only be classified as early-season jitters, Jefferson should grow into a huge part of what looks to be a pretty successful Spurs team this year.

According to Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, the trade for Jefferson was the season's most important offseason move. "We were getting older, and they (the rest of the league) were getting younger," he said. "We just didn't have enough talent to keep up. We really needed to make a trade, so Richard Jefferson was the real key to the summer."

Don't let that lack of points be deceiving, however, because now that Jefferson is on a team where his scoring isn't as necessary to his team's success as it was in New Jersey or Milwaukee, he's looking to do some other things to help his team win.

"I'm going to get into the lane, I'm going to take open shots, make the extra pass, and play the best possible defense I can," Jefferson said. "That's the best way I can set the tone for this team."

"He missed shots," Popovich admitted about Jefferson's early time in a Spurs uniform, "but he made great passes, didn't turn it over, and played great D."

For Jefferson, this will be his first season playing in the Western Conference, and could very well be the best chance he's ever had at winning a ring. But he's not thinking that far ahead. At least not yet.

"Our goal right now, especially this early in the season, is just to keep getting better," Jefferson explained. "There's so much that can happen down the stretch. Guys have to stay healthy, you have to hit big shots… You just don't think about it yet."

Last season in Milwaukee was a bumpy ride for Jefferson, especially playing without two of the team's best players in Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut for most of the season. Still, he calls the experience an overwhelmingly positive one despite the struggles.

"I really enjoyed Scott Skiles, and I really enjoyed the situation that we had there," he said. "If you take any team and take away their top two scorers from the season before, you're going to struggle, but we worked hard, fought hard, and tried to do what we could last year."

Jefferson admitted that he really would have liked to retire a New Jersey Net, but he's come along way in nine seasons of basketball and has learned to appreciate every situation he may be in, no matter how positive or how negative.

"It's been good for me," he admitted. "We're just trying to pick it all up and gel as quickly as we can."

With all the new players and youth added to the roster this summer, just getting used to playing with new guys is a good early season goal to have. But in the long-term the goals are quite a bit loftier, and if the NBA Finals is indeed where the Spurs are headed, Jefferson will without question have played a tremendous role in helping them get back there.

iilluzioN
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
good read!

Agloco
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, he'll get right soon enough. I give it about 10-15 more games or so before we see a truly breakout performance from him.

angelbelow
10-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice read.. esp for those who havent been able to watch RJ on the floor.

xtremesteven33
10-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Pop was pissing me off last night.

Jefferson has a damn good midrange post up game. Hes either going to score or get to the line. Last night Pop went to him once or twice for that play and Jefferson delievred.

But for some reason Pop never went back to him. I guess hed rather live and die by the 3...

iilluzioN
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Pop was pissing me off last night.

Jefferson has a damn good midrange post up game. Hes either going to score or get to the line. Last night Pop went to him once or twice for that play and Jefferson delievred.

But for some reason Pop never went back to him. I guess hed rather live and die by the 3...

Tony Controls everything out there, pop only calls 2-3 plays during a Q

EricB
10-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Tony Controls everything out there, pop only calls 2-3 plays during a Q

The Celtics fan is right.

Pop doesn't call many plays anymore. Parker has complete control.

He might have gone away trying to get others involved and going.

Its early in the season, getting pissed off over game 2 is a little premature.

ElNono
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
You could change it to read like this:

"He missed shots," Popovich admitted about Finley's early time in a Spurs uniform, "but he made great passes, didn't turn it over, and played great D."

And nobody would be surprised, right? :lol

SamoanTD
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
tony work ur magic

hater
10-30-2009, 02:15 PM
The Celtics fan is right.

Pop doesn't call many plays anymore. Parker has complete control.

He might have gone away trying to get others involved and going.

Its early in the season, getting pissed off over game 2 is a little premature.

well Pop or Tony can't control not rebounding and missing open shots.

portnoy1
10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
tony work ur magic
He did last night and the night before. Its called, look for shot and if your double teamed kick it out to a 3pt shooter. Nevermind calling a play for someone else to get the ball.

#2!
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
He did last night and the night before. Its called, look for shot and if your double teamed kick it out to a 3pt shooter. Nevermind calling a play for someone else to get the ball.

Tony set up Tim quite a bit, especially in the third (which may mean it was an order from Pop). But yes, TP will have to learn the when's, where's, and how's of setting up Jefferson, but with everyone else I think he's already fine. McDyess's shots come from the pick and roll, which is great for Tony.

nkdlunch
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
true. Jefferson does not turn the ball over. that is something we need.

Also, saw Pop had him play point in the 3rd quarter? what was that about?

EricB
10-30-2009, 02:54 PM
true. Jefferson does not turn the ball over. that is something we need.

Also, saw Pop had him play point in the 3rd quarter? what was that about?

He;s a good ball handler, so most likely just trying to play around with something I'd guess.

iilluzioN
10-30-2009, 03:51 PM
The starting Lineup is designed for Tony Parker to Dominate

Once Tony Parker Dominates, and RJ starts to click, everything should be ok...

I think pop needs to start Mason tho, and let Finley be in the Bench

Danny.Zhu
10-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Hope the offense will eventually come to him.

TIMMYD!
10-30-2009, 08:38 PM
help me fight mavs fans in the chat room

Russ
10-30-2009, 08:42 PM
It's got quotes.

Jefferson Struggling and Loving It (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14184)
By: Joel Brigham

"He missed shots," Popovich admitted about Jefferson's early time in a Spurs uniform, "but he made great passes, didn't turn it over, and played great D."

This could be a key to the whole season. RJ will be in for his O -- if he can play D even a little bit like Bowen (and I know this will take a while) then the Spurs got a shot . . .

quentin_compson
10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
RJ hasn't made any shots yet, but he penetrated a couple of times and he played decent D. His shot will come to him, no doubt.