PDA

View Full Version : Battle Blog -- NBA Age Limit

timvp
04-17-2005, 08:09 PM
jalbre6: In 1801, Thomas Jefferson said, “What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular”. Now over two hundred years later, NBA commissioner David Stern needs to take the Sage of Monticello’s advice and institute a highly unpopular age limit on incoming rookies.

An age limit isn’t about denying young players a shot at NBA money. It isn’t about veteran players getting to milk an extra year or two. Stern is unhappy with the present and future of the league he transformed from the verge of bankruptcy into a profitable, global icon through smart marketing and innovations like the salary cap.

For every Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, there is a Korleone Young and a Leon Smith, young men that weren’t ready. Now, with a record eight high school players picked in the 2004 NBA draft’s first round, more than in the entire 1990’s, this is the time to assert an age limit.

Jermaine O’Neal, Stern’s most outspoken critic on this matter, should actually be the poster child for the age limit. From ages 18 to 20 in Portland, O’Neal scored 4.3 points a game, when the man drafted behind him, 22 year old John Wallace, averaged 9.4 points per contest.

Precious cap space and resources need to go to players that can contribute immediately. In this scenario, by age 20, they’ve been seasoned, scouted, marketed, and played in the second most competitive league in America, the NCAA. That’s much better than languishing on the bench like O’Neal had to do.

MannyIsGod: I will agree that the owners’ desire for an age limit doesn’t stem from a desire to deny young players money or give veteran players money.

The owners are trying to protect themselves from themselves. They are trying to give themselves a supposed edge by prohibiting players from joining a team before they reach 20 years of age. Correct me if I’m wrong, but no one forces the owners to sign players under 20 in favor of older players. Teams pursue players because they have tremendous potential and the ability to contribute right away in many cases.

You mention that for every Lebron there are duds, but you fail to acknowledge the same holds true for players drafted after a collegiate career. Who would dispute that for ever Duncan drafted there are dozens of Greg Ostertags? The fact of the matter is that there is risk involved at every turn when building a team. A collegiate career in no way ensures a successful NBA career. Pervis Ellison, anyone?

The NBA has seen many of it’s biggest stars make a successful move from high school to the pros. Players such as Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, Tony Parker and most notably Lebron James have all recently made substantial impacts before the age of 20. In fact, the most exciting player in the game today wears 23 for the Cavaliers. The only accomplishment attained by preventing these players, especially James, from playing is a lower level of excitement and star power in the NBA.

jalbre6: David Stern has tied his age limit proposal to his vision of the growth of the NBDL. He’s not demanding kids go to college for two years. Part of his vision is to have 18 and 19 year olds learning the pro game while getting increased professional training and gametime experience they wouldn’t receive in the NBA.

For example, Amare Stoudemire turned twenty less than a month into his first NBA campaign. In Stern’s age limit scenario, he would have been eligible for NBA play in Phoenix’s ninth game. In 2002, Stoudamire hit 24 of 69 field goals in Phoenix’s first eight games, shooting 34%.

Ostertag is a poor example of a dud as well. He is in his tenth NBA season after being drafted 28th by Utah in 1995. If anything, he is an example of having a mature, role-playing attitude that makes him an asset to his team.

MannyIsGod: Stern’s proposal is an all out ban on players under 20. This would prevent players such as James, Parker and Anthony from playing for at least one year if not two. All 3 of them, and they are not the only ones, have produced for their teams well while under 20. Lebron has received MVP consideration this season. Yet, he was 19 for almost 2 months. Under Stern’s system, that would have been impossible.

There are no doubts that a farm system to help young players learn the game would be beneficial. But there are no reasons a farm system must be inflexible and contain an outright ban on players because of age. There are players who can play on an NBA level and contribute under the age of 20. They compromise a group containing some of the brighter stars. There are simply no reasons to shut capable players out.

The judges have given the victory to jalbre6. Thanks to both bloggers and to the judges.

xcoriate
04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
and the blogging comp gets interesting. That was a really good one.

Rummpd
04-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Great job both.

As someone who served in the military at age 18, I do not believe in trade restrictions such as this for a sport. Heck we even had a genius in my medical school who was 19, very mature for age when he started, who went on to become a heck of a doctor. As Manny said exceptions to every rule need to be made.

Plus some of the best NBA players come out of the European system and start at young ages. That being said, I also support a developmental league highly.

MannyIsGod
04-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Nice job to the winner!

Kori Ellis
04-23-2005, 02:54 PM
David Stern recently on the Age Limit ...

"Right now we do have a minimum age, which is 18, and any changes if we did make a make a deal with our players this year would not apply to this year’s draft. If the age limit were to be raised, the people who were below would not be in the league until their age was reached. They would have an opportunity to play internationally, or in college, or in the minor leagues. We don’t see that as a controversy. It means that an 18 year old would be treated the same way as a 17 year old. And there are lines drawn, and we seek to draw the line, but we would not impose it, it must be collectively bargained with our union. If they and we agree to it than it can be implemented, with respect to the draft in 2006."

sickdsm
04-23-2005, 09:13 PM
I was thinking today. All i heard all day was the NFL draft. I like football but basketball is my thing. I'm an idiot when it comes to who's who among the average to below average NFL players. But i was excited to hear the draft today and tuned in the radio the entire 6 plus hours. Only towards the end as they broke in with updates did i remember that the NBA playoffs started today. Obviously it had something to do with the wolves not in but i watch games like knicks/clippers preseason if its available. If the NBA had the age limit, we could realistically expect players to play overseas until there 20 for the money. Imagine if the talant level was higher like it is for the NFL for 1st round rookies? The reason why the NFL is so intriguing is bc the majority of 1st rounders make an immediate impact. A team can totally change its franchise around with a few solid picks. Plus with a minor league, maybe they would go back to more rounds since theres more roster spots to fill. Alot of guys like Damon Jones and Marquis Grissom that were undrafted would be 3rd or 4th rounders and would have been bigger news earlier in there career (Jones). Trades would be more prevalant, the picks themselves would be less set in stone like they seem to be now.

All of which makes the draft marketable.

I think Stern is looking at this fact. The draft as it is is unwatchable.

timvp
04-23-2005, 09:18 PM
I was thinking today. All i heard all day was the NFL draft. I like football but basketball is my thing. I'm an idiot when it comes to who's who among the average to below average NFL players. But i was excited to hear the draft today and tuned in the radio the entire 6 plus hours. Only towards the end as they broke in with updates did i remember that the NBA playoffs started today. Obviously it had something to do with the wolves not in but i watch games like knicks/clippers preseason if its available. If the NBA had the age limit, we could realistically expect players to play overseas until there 20 for the money. Imagine if the talant level was higher like it is for the NFL for 1st round rookies? The reason why the NFL is so intriguing is bc the majority of 1st rounders make an immediate impact. A team can totally change its franchise around with a few solid picks. Plus with a minor league, maybe they would go back to more rounds since theres more roster spots to fill. Alot of guys like Damon Jones and Marquis Grissom that were undrafted would be 3rd or 4th rounders and would have been bigger news earlier in there career (Jones). Trades would be more prevalant, the picks themselves would be less set in stone like they seem to be now.

All of which makes the draft marketable.

I think Stern is looking at this fact. The draft as it is is unwatchable.

You successfully covered the NFL, NBA and baseball all in one post.

Congrats :)

E20
04-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Why doesn't Stern make the age limit 16, I want some action too!

sickdsm
04-24-2005, 11:24 AM
hahah, somehow Marquis daniels doens't have the same ring.