PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts: Mavs @ Lakers

Rogue
10-31-2009, 08:14 AM
It's not a secret that the season-debuting lose harshly lacerated our confidence in our boys in blue, especially considering what kind of scrubs the Wizards were for the past 2 consecutive seasons. Our debuting show was so poor that even some hardest fans seemed to have started losing heart since then, not to mention the majority of our group, hence in general we were naturally pretty pessimistic on the game against the defending champions even though Pau Gasol would miss it.

As some of the same pessimistic fans predicted, the game did run well for our side in the first half, which ended 52-45. In the 3rd quarter, however, the game turned a little bit discrepant from someone's prediction. The 7pts margin wasn't shriveled a little bit but enlarged to 18pts by the end of this quarter, which meant the Lakers had a real huge mountain to climb if they didn't want to get us surprised.

The Lakers did try hard in the final quarter and managed to complete a 6-0 run through the starting minutes, but the boys were persistent enough to keep the win while rebuting some Mav fans who predicted a blow-out in this quarter. The Mavs stayed at least 12 points above Lakers through this quarter till the whistle blew, thus our boys in blue defeated the Lakers at staples center in LA to gain their first win this season, which seemed more or less surprising yet absolutely well deserved.

Dirk Nowitzki
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3252.jpg
38 minutes, twenty-one points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist
5-for-14 from the field, 10-for-11 at the line, 1-4 in three-pointers

Dirk started the game with hands cold, hence he smartly chose to relent his scoring job for the first several minutes. He did shot the ball twice during this era but missed both, and his scoring barrenness remained unbroken until his two points from free throws with 1:43 to go in this quarter, but Dirk's cold hands still wasn't thawed yet. It was after almost an entire quarter when Dirk dropped the next notch, however, this time Dirk refused to let his scoring snap so soon after the first one. After completing the free throw from Kobe's technical foul, Dirk went on to score this way thanks to Odom's 2 personal fouls. Although Dirk missed 1 of the 4 total free throw attempts, he still managed to ink his scoring at 8 before entering the lockroom.

It was in the 3rd quarter that the Mavs completed the construction of the road to a win. When the Lakers stepped into a scoreless desert, Mavs were still as good offensively as the prior two quarters, and Dirk was the undoubted pioneer to lead to the 26 points scored in this quarter, 9 of which were achieved by Dirk himself.

Leaving alone the remarkable stats Dirk handed us as usual, we were specially delighted to see Dirk picked 4 three-point attempts. Although he missed 3 of the 4 three-pointers, the delightful sign still easily overwhelmed the 25%, that was the return of the former 3pt shooting champion.
-------------------------------

Jason Kidd
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/2625.jpg
34 minutes, 2 points, 11 assists
1-for-4 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers, 0-for-0 at the line, 6 TOs

Still Kidd wasn't so remarkable in the scoring chart last night and his 6 turnovers was seriously pretty bad for this veteran, but those all defects could very adequately be covered up by his brilliant 11 assists. It wasn't anything so amazing to see him gobbling up double-figured assists 5 years ago, but we have to give him exclusive applause for his awesome job in powering up our team at defensive end. Plus, he also did a perfect defensive job in owing the crap out of Derek Fisher who only shot 2-9 from the field last night.

Shawn Marion
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3332.jpg
34 minutes, 18 points, one assist, 6 rebounds
8-for-15 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

Matrix still was the guy that gave out the most sweat last night, and his hard works always pretty well even his play from his deficient parts like the lack of reading the game. Ron Artest was expected to restrict Matrix but the ex-Rocket didn't reap any number bigger than 4 in his charts except his 5 missed shots and the same number of personal fouls, hence it's fair to say Matrix outperformed Ron last night. Probably Ron still has yet to adapt himself to his new team like the way he stumbled through the first a couple games in Houston last season. But he's facing a quite different situation in LA than that he met with and finally went through a year ago. Anyway Phil isn't so generous as Rick Adelman to alow so many missed shots except those from Kobe's hands.

Jason Terry
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3333.jpg
34 minutes, 16 points, two assists, three rebounds
5-for-12 from the field, 3-for-5 on three-pointers, 3-for-5 at the line
JET was still our source of bench scoring last night, as he usually did, he shot the ball fairly well to gobble up 16 points in total while shooting an especially impressive percentage of 60% from the arc. Before the start of this season, Josh Smokey Howard was generally considered to be the starting SG of Mavs but an unexpected injury visited Josh's ankle, hence JET was inexorably forced to play hard as the only scoring power at this position. At some point, JET is often the determining piece rather than any other boy in blue since he's currently so irreplaceable with Josh injured and the Mavs are likely to use JET the same exhausting way as last season, as long as Josh's injury is still so severe that even marijuana cannot mitigate it.

Erick Dampier
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3117.jpg
18 minutes, eight points, one assist
3-for-5 from the field, 2-for-4 on line

Damp still occupies a spot in our starting 5 like the past many seasons, but this season we aren't this relunctant to mention him here, I mean it's no longer such a big embarrassment to give Damp such an important job as the starting center of boys in blue. It seems Damp has learned to score some cheap points on the offensive end. Hopefully that's a sign of Damp starting to live up to what he should be, or at least what his salary should pay off. While the most reasonable assumption is, dude plays pretty well this season because of his expiring contract, which partially proves that Damp isn't this incompetent as he appeared to be when he didn't need to work hard to earn a greasy contract.
Juan Barea
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4203.jpg
25 minutes, 12 points, three rebounds, two assists
3-for-7 from the field, 6-for-6 on free-throws,

To live through doubts in mass, JJB often needs to shine out sometimes to exhibit his value, and his efforts have by far so effective that he still holds a spot in our rotation and always shares considerable amounts of minutes. As probably one of the shortest NBA players if not the shortest one, JJB is instinctly disadvantaged in defense especially when defending big guards, but the Gob is balanced enough to give him the unbelievable speed that always makes him a lethal weapon in full-court transitions.

Drew Gooden
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3602.jpg
12 minutes, two points, two rebound
0-for-4 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

As much respect as I can show to this ex-Spur, Gooden is probably the most disappoining staff so far. Surely it's unfair to declare his death at so early a time as the 2nd game, and probably he's also in the process of adapting like Jefferson in San Antonio. Anyway through the first 2 games in this season, we have to judge it a bad move to sign him at the expense of nearly a full MLE.

Kris Humphries
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3831.jpg
20 minutes, 8 points, 7 rebounds
4-for-8 from the field, 0-for-2 at the line

As a filler in the Marion trade, Humphries came to Dallas with little expectations but he didn't allow himself to get depraved as joining a team where he had to face tougher competitions for a role in rotation. It was really a pretty vexing moment when the Magic abducted both Bass and Gortat, which led to the overpayment on Drew Gooden. Even Singleton was expected ahead of him to attend our 2nd unit as a decent forward, but Humphries managed to earn himself lots of praises with his remarkable plays last night, and I believe the Humphries last night wasn't just a comet.
James Singleton

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4055.jpg
8 minutes, three points, four assists, two rebounds
1-for-3 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers

Singleton didn't get any decent chance to produce highlights last night. On defensive end, he did a pretty good job in the 8 minutes he played. But it was on the other end where it came his most mentionable moments. He only had 3 attempts the whole night and all 3 were launched from the arc, and fortunately one of them hit the target to give him the only 3 points on his book.

Quinton Rose
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3767.jpg
13 minutes, 4 points, one assist
2-for-3 from the field
Thanks to Josh's injury, the Dallas native started in both of the previous games and is likely to continue his role for many games to come. There's nothing more glorious to get dressed up in representation of home team, Rose was also pretty so energized to play fairly well so far this season. It's still too easy to judge if Rose is better than his predecessor, the season still has 80 games to go and no one knows how many games he'll play like the good version of Wright or the bad. Anyway we've already seen the blurs of a hardworking defender from Ross, and probably we don't need him to do anything but defending.

Rick Carlisle
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Dallas+Mavericks+v+Sacramento+Kings+rZsIqKnzxJIm.j pg

Leaving behind his horrible strategy in assigning Kidd to guard Arenas in our opening game, he did a decent coaching job last night against the Lakers. For start, it indeed was a smart decision to put Rose in our starting lineups instead of JJB. Although we can still remember some games from last season where JJB played pretty well as starting SG and probably such squad may still work equally well in some future games this season, the Lakers were surely not a team fearing such small a squad. Plus, he substituted out Damp at a perfect time to speed up the pace.

Offense

The consistency of our offense was absolutely perfect last night, while the Lakers choked at offensive end for some reason in the 3rd quarter and handed the win to our boys in blue. Kidd once again played the role as an engine of our offense, which was clearly illustrated with his 11 assists. With Kidd's sufficient ammo support, Dirk and Marion both opened up their fires as well as JET, combined these 3 guys contributed 55 points. While we have to give equally as much praise to Damp who scored remarkable 8 points last night in the very limited 18 minutes.

Defense

Our boys in blue all played extremely hard last night at defensive end, especially in the 3rd quarter where the Lakers only collected 15 points. I admit the Lakers are slightly easier to deal with when one angle of their trangle is absent, besides Pau however, the Lakers still had got many other awful scorers like a freaky scoring machine in Kobe and a beast in Ron Artest, who could still cause hugh serious troubles, but both Ron and Kobe played fairly bad last night. Anyway dudes combined made 7 field shots out of a total of 25 attempts.

Drive to Five

It's certainly encouraging to beat the defending champions and probably the disappointment of losing game one has also been totally scraped out of our minds, but anyway, the season has just started and we still have got 80 games to play in the regular season, not to mention the 20+ games in playoffs. Health is surely something important to maintain, while our squad still has some flaws that we shouldn't overlook. Hopefully Donnie can get smart for a moment and make a great move like the Billups trade. Anyway, we have to earn a higher seat to fight weaker opponents in the playoffs in order to go further there, and efforts have to be inserted right here right now.

I love our boys in blue.

Sportstudi
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Quinton Rose
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3767.jpg
13 minutes, 4 points, one assist
2-for-3 from the field

[/B]

Nice recap, but something is wrong here...:king

Riverwalkman
10-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Dallas' defense was impressive, Quinton Ross showed good chemistry with MAVS.

Ross, Marion, Humphries is going to help upgrade Dallas' defense, but Spurs is still starting Finley and Bonner.:bang

TJastal
10-31-2009, 09:17 AM
God that screen by Dirk on Shannon Brown was awesome. I rewound and watched that over and over and over and over LOL

EmptyMan
10-31-2009, 09:25 AM
That was a great game by the Mavs. You guys played some great Defense.

Chieflion
10-31-2009, 09:31 AM
I thought it was Quinton Ross.

boston.balla
10-31-2009, 09:31 AM
i appreciate for them appreciating us enough as to play our game against lakeshow. unfortunately the mavs have about zero consistency and i feel sorry for dirk. But i don't wanna talk these unpleasant things right now to mavfans in their thread. Enjoy your win!

Danny.Zhu
10-31-2009, 09:37 AM
I just feel a little disappointed at Dirk, nothing else.

TwinTowers
10-31-2009, 10:00 AM
It's too early to draw any conclusions. Mavs played a great game, and were the better team, but so far the C's seem to be the only team clicking at a high level.
in the west all the top tier teams (Mavs, Lakers, Blazers, Nuggets, Spurs) must improve, but that's something that will come as the season progresses. This defeat is good one for the Lakers; it's time for them to realize this is a new season, and the road to the Championship won't be a cakewalk.

ginobili's bald spot
10-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Rogue > Hemingway

Extra Stout
10-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I really appreciate the oblique manner in which timvp outed his Rogue troll here. Elegant yet wacky in a British humor sort of way.

Overall I appreciate the complexity involved in the character development of the Rogue troll in the first place.

mavs>spurs2
10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
I really appreciate the oblique manner in which timvp outed his Rogue troll here. Elegant yet wacky in a British humor sort of way.

Overall I appreciate the complexity involved in the character development of the Rogue troll in the first place.

Rogue is not a timvp troll you dumbass

Allanon
10-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Mavs are a dangerous team this year.

If they can get over their 4th quarter brain farts (like early in the 4th last night) they're legit contenders.

Legitimate and sometimes dominating win over the Lakeshow, no excuses here.

jag
10-31-2009, 03:30 PM

:lol

spursfan1000
10-31-2009, 05:40 PM
If the Mavs continue to play like this did last night they will be a big threat.