PDA

View Full Version : Another Young Buck that the Spurs could possibly pursue?

SenorSpur
10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Found this on RealGM.com. Something to possibly keep an eye on for the summer.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62475/20091031/bucks_to_decline_alexanders_option/

The Bucks will not pick up the option on the contract of forward Joe Alexander, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The decision will make Alexander the highest pick in NBA history to have his rookie option declined.

Milwaukee officially has until Monday to pick up the $2.7 million option or allow the forward to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

It's pretty easy to see how this could happen. Obviously the emergence of Luc Richard M'Bah a Moute, their 2nd round pick in the same draft, has made Alexander expendable. Furthermore, a franchise as cash-strapped as the Bucks cannot afford to invest in two young, emerging SFs. And Alexander hasn't developed as rapidly as the Bucks would've liked. However, that doesn't mean he's a bust.

Here's the book on Alexander, according to HoopsHype:

http://hoopshype.com/players/joe_alexander.htm

From a Spurs perspective, after missing out on the likes of Nicolas Batum, Serge Ibaka, Omri Casspi and Mbah Moute, in recent drafts, they are still in dire need a young, long, athletic SF to play behind RJ.

That said, and should Alexander hit the market next summer, could the Spurs have interest? Should they?

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Color me cynical, but I'm skeptical of the NBA-worthiness of a guy who can't find minutes with one of the worst teams in the association.

hoopdreams11
10-31-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd rather go for Outlaw

SenorSpur
10-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Color me cynical, but I'm skeptical of the NBA-worthiness of a guy who can't find minutes with one of the worst teams in the association.

Sounds to me like this kid was drafted too high, when he actually was in dire need of some D-League seasoning.

ChumpDumper
10-31-2009, 03:51 PM
We could pursue him after the contract is up.

exstatic
10-31-2009, 03:56 PM
:lol And people said the Spurs had a quick hook with Ian. One year? Really?

Mel_13
10-31-2009, 03:58 PM
:lol And people said the Spurs had a quick hook with Ian. One year? Really?

8th pick has option declined after one year. Now that's a bust.

benefactor
10-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I doubt it. He is interesting as he is very athletic and has some potential upside, but some team that misses out on the bigger free agents next year will probably give him around 2 million. With very little certainty regarding him, I don't see the Spurs giving him that much if they are interested.

exstatic
10-31-2009, 04:07 PM
8th pick has option declined after one year. Now that's a bust.

I think it was more a positional logjam on a cash strapped team.

To be honest, I didn't really remember him, and had to go look him up. NBAdraft had him rated as a 10 of 10 athletically. Ship them the carcass of Mike Finley and a second rounder, cut Malik, and go with this as your dev swingman project.

Mel_13
10-31-2009, 04:14 PM

To be honest, I didn't really remember him, and had to go look him up. NBAdraft had him rated as a 10 of 10 athletically. Ship them the carcass of Mike Finley and a second rounder, cut Malik, and go with this as your dev swingman project.

One problem with that notion. If he pans out, they would have to use the LLE or part of the MLE to keep him. (Although when I looked up his salary, a Finley trade was my first thought.)

lotr1trekkie
10-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Pop will not make a move until he's comfortable with his lineup. He has 3 guys sitting on inactive who could be bette.

DPG21920
10-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Finley is not going to be traded and neither is Bonner unless it is a no brainer deal. It will certainly not be for a player like this.

All signs point to the Spurs extending Bonner and Pop loves Finley and is now the starter. It is not going to happen.

SenorSpur
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Finley is not going to be traded and neither is Bonner unless it is a no brainer deal. It will certainly not be for a player like this.

All signs point to the Spurs extending Bonner and Pop loves Finley and is now the starter. It is not going to happen.

Pop's incessant man-love for Finley is so strong that it wouldn't surprise me if the FinDog is back again to haunt us, and stunt the development of yet another SF, next year.

Bruno
10-31-2009, 04:53 PM
All signs point to the Spurs extending Bonner

What signs ?

Mel_13
10-31-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.talis.com/source/blog/http:/www.talis.com/source/blog/images/Stop.jpeg

EmptyMan
10-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaah boy. NSFW.

JsASbwCZtIU

Blackjack
10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Personally, I'd love to see him in the Spurs' program.

I'm not sure how serious his injuries have been or if they were of the injury-prone variety, but he's got a lot of skill, size and athleticism that would be intriguing..

I don't see it happening, though.

Pop seems to like his small-forwards to be power-forwards masquerading as starting centers..

DPG21920
10-31-2009, 05:11 PM
What signs ?

There have been a few comments made in articles that the Spurs have mentioned this. Along with the fact he is still starting.

Chomag
10-31-2009, 05:12 PM
He is to young. Pop would never play him untill he aged 10 more years... no point.

Bruno
10-31-2009, 05:20 PM
There have been a few comments made in articles that the Spurs have mentioned this. Along with the fact he is still starting.

Well, I don't remember a single article saying that Spurs would re-sign Bonner next summer.

DPG21920
10-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, I don't remember a single article saying that Spurs would re-sign Bonner next summer.

It was not as explicit as that. Just some comments that "from what we gather, it seems the Spurs are interested in extended Matt Bonner..."

Not really confirmed or direct quotes, just kind of the writers "take" on their conversations with personnel. I will try and find the articles I am referring to.

Point is, do you see the Spurs trading Finley and Bonner?

Bruno
10-31-2009, 06:06 PM
It was not as explicit as that. Just some comments that "from what we gather, it seems the Spurs are interested in extended Matt Bonner..."

Not really confirmed or direct quotes, just kind of the writers "take" on their conversations with personnel. I will try and find the articles I am referring to.

Point is, do you see the Spurs trading Finley and Bonner?

I just find strange to see Spurs talking about re-signing Bonner while he has show nothing in playoffs and that there is still a full year of basketball before he becomes a free agent.

I can definitively see Spurs trading Bonner.
Trading Finley is less likely but Pop/Spurs have decided not to re-sign Oberto and Bowen this summer so Finley also could be a goner.

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Bonner extension talks, if they exist, are done simply to raise Bonner's confidence level IMO, and possibly drive up his value to other teams since they see the Spurs still love him..there's no reason to currently extend his contract, he hasn't done anything to warrant it, and this is coming from a Bonner fan..

With that said, I'm not a fan of Alexander at all..

Bruno
10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
there's no reason to currently extend his contract

Bonner isn't eligible to get an extension. The most Spurs can say to him is : "we like you and we would like to re-sign you next summer."

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I wonder what the market would be for Bonner anyways..there aren't really any similar players to him in the NBA right now..he's a lot better than guys like Scalabrine, but he's not as good as guys like Troy Murphy or Okur..

tav1
10-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I just find strange to see Spurs talking about re-signing Bonner while he has show nothing in playoffs and that there is still a full year of basketball before he becomes a free agent.

I can definitively see Spurs trading Bonner.
Trading Finley is less likely but Pop/Spurs have decided not to re-sign Oberto and Bowen this summer so Finley also could be a goner.

From what I gather, and it's limited, Pop really likes the spacing Bonner provides and is not likely to depart from him unless another floor stretcher is unearthed. Haislip has an opportunity, but Bonner has outperformed him in every way thus far. The Spurs won't trade him unless a) the talent coming back is too good to pass up and/or b) they have a replacement player with a similar skill set (Haislip?).

Joe Alexander would be interesting as a D-League trial run, but I don't see a deal that works. It's hard to imagine the Spurs moving an important piece like Finley just to get a look at Joe Alexander.

A lot of the players whose options are not be picked up might remain with the team they're currently on. For example, Milwaukee can resign Alexander this summer for half of what he currently makes, which might be their angle in all this.

In terms of Mahinmi: he's still valuable insurance in case something happens to Ratliff. And you never know, it's a long season.

If the Spurs trade Mahinmi, they obviously won't get a whole lot back, if anything. Here are a couple ideas I like:

Mahinmi for Ajinca: Brown doesn't like Ajinca, and Mahinmi is more accomplished. Ajinca has a skill set the Spurs could use (range on his shot, decent shot blocking) and a year of D-League eligibility. I'd probably keep Mahinmi, but it's something to think about.

Mahinmi for...wait for it...Pops Mensah Bonsu: Don't kill me. Their salaries match and the Spurs know Pops can give them some production as a deep reserve. In his brief time with the Spurs, Mensah-Bonsu gave them more production than Mahinmi has. Houston's interest is landing a more traditional big to shore up their frontline between Ming injuries.

Mahinmi for Sean Marks and a 2nd

Mahinmi for Batum: I'm joking, but wanted to make you smile.

Mahinmi for Donte Greene: Quin Snyder project.

I keep reading that team's will look to shed money once the deadline approaches, and overpaid/overhyped players such as Rudy Gay could be available. So maybe the Spurs wait and see what a package like Mason Jr., Mahinmi and a draft pick can fetch.

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't like any of those guys as options..none of them would contribute now, and Ian is a better project than any of them..

Bonsu is an undersized big man that doesn't play consistent defense, and we already have 2 of those guys in the rotation..

The last idea is the best one..there will probably be some good deals available at the deadline..

tav1
10-31-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't like any of those guys as options..none of them would contribute now, and Ian is a better project than any of them..

Bonsu is an undersized big man that doesn't play consistent defense, and we already have 2 of those guys in the rotation..

The last idea is the best one..there will probably be some good deals available at the deadline..

I can buy that. I'm not soap boxing for any of those suggestions, just throwing them out there for discussion.

Bruno
10-31-2009, 07:10 PM
From what I gather, and it's limited, Pop really likes the spacing Bonner provides and is not likely to depart from him unless another floor stretcher is unearthed. Haislip has an opportunity, but Bonner has outperformed him in every way thus far. The Spurs won't trade him unless a) the talent coming back is too good to pass up and/or b) they have a replacement player with a similar skill set (Haislip?).

Joe Alexander would be interesting as a D-League trial run, but I don't see a deal that works. It's hard to imagine the Spurs moving an important piece like Finley just to get a look at Joe Alexander.

Spurs won't trade for Alexander. If they are interested, they will wait next summer to sign him as a unrestricted free agent.

If Spurs do a trade for another bigman, Bonner will likely be included. Keeping him will make few sense because there won't be playing time available.

Pop surely like the spacing Bonner bring but if the other player bring some defense, he will also like it.

In terms of Mahinmi:

I fully disagree with you on Mahinmi.

Ian has zero trade value for two reasons:
First, what GM would be interested in a player Spurs have decided he wasn't worth $1.78M? Spurs are a respected organization and know Mahinmi way more than other teams. There is no reason fro a GM to think that Mahinmi is an interesting prospect.
Second, his contract isn't good. He will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. Teams won't invest time and money on a player who can leave next summer.

The most likely trade is a Beno like one that is to say Mahinmi + cash to at least pay his salary for a top 55 protected second round pick.
This move will save Spurs some money with the luxury tax.

raspsa
10-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Swap Ian for him.

superjames1992
10-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Being a West Virginia fan, I'd love to see Joe Alexander on the Spurs.

Mr. Body
10-31-2009, 11:15 PM
I's vw cwey interested in Joe Alexander. Very. The guy has athleticism out the ass and just needs time to season himself. Maybe he doesn't make it, maybe he does, but Milwaukee clearly has a positional logjam and money troubles. Alexander is a gamer and well worth a look.

Austin_Toros
11-01-2009, 01:54 AM

:toast