PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: No extension for Spurs big man Mahinmi

duncan228
11-01-2009, 12:05 AM
No extension for Spurs big man Mahinmi (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/No_extension_for_Spurs_big_man_Mahinmi.html)
Mike Monroe

Though the Oct. 31 deadline for extending rookie scale contracts for first-round draft picks has been extended to Monday because the NBA offices were closed on the weekend, the Spurs have elected not to extend the contract of third-year forward-center Ian Mahinmi.

The 28th overall selection in the 2005 draft and signed by the Spurs on Aug. 23, 2007, Mahinmi has been limited by injuries and inexperience to six regular season games.

He missed the 2008-09 season with a right ankle injury and had surgery on the ankle on Feb. 1. He played on the Spurs' summer league team in July, then played in six of the seven preseason games. He has been on the inactive list for the first three games of the regular season, including Saturday's 113-94 victory over the Sacramento Kings at the AT&T Center.

Mahinmi said he understood the Spurs made the decision because they had not yet had a true chance to evaluate him.

“It's not as disappointing as it is understandable,” Mahinmi said. “I kind of put myself in their position. From a business standpoint, it's really tough to make a decision like that. So I look at is not as disappointing, but understandable.”

Mahinmi said his first priority when he becomes a free agent in July will be to remain a Spur. For now, he will remain focused on the development of his game and will be ready when, and if, circumstances provide him an opportunity to play.

“I'm going to keep working hard in practice and stay ready,” he said. “You never know what could happen, so I will keep on working. Then, next year, see what is going to be there.”

McDyess sits: Spurs power forward Antonio McDyess sat out Saturday's game with flu-like symptoms but said he did not believe he had the flu.

“I got the flu shot,” McDyess said. “I think it's just a head cold.”

raspsa
11-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Good attitude. He may still have the opportunity to prove himself. Minutes may be limited but I'm glad he's not sulking.

Ice009
11-01-2009, 01:06 AM
That's good stuff from Ian. That is exactly what he needs to do.

Spursmania
11-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I still wish the best for Ian. Great attitude.:tu

DPG21920
11-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Still a bummer. He could have meant so much for the Spurs had he panned out.

Ocotillo
11-01-2009, 11:18 AM
He'll be ok. Maybe he shows something this year and gets an offer from the Spurs or he goes back to Europe and gets a contract.

xellos88330
11-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Trade bait maybe.

I am still hoping he shows the Spurs something.

NFGIII
11-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Great attitude. He needs to do exactly what he said. At 22 he still has upside potential but how is he going to get minutes outside of one of the other bigs going down? If no time this year and Splitter comes over next year he most likelywill still be the odd man out. Tough last couple of years for him. I wish him the best.

SenorSpur
11-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Kudos to Ian for saying, and hopefully doing, the right things. It does suck for now. While he's here, he should continue working hard in practice, but he's not getting any better on the bench. I would've liked to have seen him activated for the SAC game. He surely could've and should've gotten minutes against them.

Interrohater
11-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I wonder who Pop would activate if someone like Ratliff went down (sound of: knocking on wood). Would it be Haislip or Mahinmi? Obviously Mahinmi fits the position better, but on our team, the c and pf position are kind of interchangeable.

poop
11-01-2009, 01:18 PM
worst 6-11 265 rebounder ive ever seen.

temujin
11-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I wonder how much longer can a player be a professional athlete without actually playing a single game.

SamoanTD
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
mahinmi u let me down i beileved in u!!!!!!! lol

Austin_Toros
11-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Does it matter than his contract wasn't extended? I mean, say he plays well this season couldn't the spurs just re-sign him?

thispego
11-01-2009, 10:50 PM
“I got the flu shot,” McDyess said. “I think it's just a head cold.”

45 bank shot
11-02-2009, 12:08 AM
good luck ian

Whisky Dog
11-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Hate to say it but the kid's chance was last year. He almost certainly would have gotten the minutes with that suck ass frontcourt the Spurs were throwing out there next to Timmy. Bad luck, and not tough enough to overcome an ankle sprain killed his chances.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-02-2009, 12:57 AM
He's young, with physical talent andd a good attitude. Also, if he's been smart with his money he already has a few hundred thousand tucked away. He'll be fine.

mathbzh
11-02-2009, 05:02 AM
At worst he will be a pro player somewhere in Europe as Haislip was. When you are 6-11 and athletic you can find a team.

Saer Sene (260 minutes played in the NBA in 3 seasons) is now playing in France. So far (after 5 games) 10 pts/13 rbds/3 blks per game... I am not too worried for Ian, he will find a job.

Spursfanfromafar
11-02-2009, 05:10 AM
The best thing for the Spurs to do is to package Mahinmi in a deal that features Finley.

There are quite a few teams that lack shot blocking big men. Minny, with Kevin Love injured is one such team which needs a big man desperately (having unworthies such as Cardinal using up valuable playing time).

Perhaps if we could conjure up a trade of Finley + Mahinmi for Ryan Gomes? That should help both teams. Spurs get a SF-PF tweener who can defend and score in spot minutes, while Minny get a veteran and a shot blocking talent for the future to play alongside Al Jefferson and Kevin Love.

Ice009
11-02-2009, 05:53 AM
The best thing for the Spurs to do is to package Mahinmi in a deal that features Finley.

There are quite a few teams that lack shot blocking big men. Minny, with Kevin Love injured is one such team which needs a big man desperately (having unworthies such as Cardinal using up valuable playing time).

Perhaps if we could conjure up a trade of Finley + Mahinmi for Ryan Gomes? That should help both teams. Spurs get a SF-PF tweener who can defend and score in spot minutes, while Minny get a veteran and a shot blocking talent for the future to play alongside Al Jefferson and Kevin Love.

We don't need anymore undersized players. We either need another perimeter defender/scorer like SJax or a shot blocking big like Camby.

Spursfanfromafar
11-02-2009, 06:46 AM
We don't need anymore undersized players. We either need another perimeter defender/scorer like SJax or a shot blocking big like Camby.

Yes.But get them for what?

SJax has a stupid extended contract that is well avoidable and Camby has to be paid $10 million. Trading for them won't work out.

Ice009
11-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Yes.But get them for what?

SJax has a stupid extended contract that is well avoidable and Camby has to be paid $10 million. Trading for them won't work out.

Your idea was good, but I'd maybe only use that as a last resort if that.

Spurs should try for better players. You never know what a team is willing to trade when they are out of contention or looking to salary dump.