PDA

View Full Version : Michael savage 1st amendment warrior

panic giraffe
11-01-2009, 05:34 PM
don't know if its already been discussed...

but, the same man who has an obsession with the fact that he's banned in foreign country for hate speech, is on a campaign to censor larry david for a joke.

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200910290027

if you ask me the joke is really on savage. hell i listen to his show on my way home after a bad day, its always good for a few laughs. i do remember him saying that free speech is there to protect the speech you don't like...

i just don't understand how he can complain about a comedy show, and practically ask for david's head for a joke, and then turn around and talk about how britain's free speech laws are facists...

anyone care to explain that to me?

Wild Cobra
11-01-2009, 05:40 PM
don't know if its already been discussed...

but, the same man who has an obsession with the fact that he's banned in foreign country for hate speech, is on a campaign to censor larry david for a joke.

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200910290027

if you ask me the joke is really on savage. hell i listen to his show on my way home after a bad day, its always good for a few laughs. i do remember him saying that free speech is there to protect the speech you don't like...

i just don't understand how he can complain about a comedy show, and practically ask for david's head for a joke, and then turn around and talk about how britain's free speech laws are facists...

anyone care to explain that to me?
Well, i cannot see what ever is embedded to that link with the piss-ass computer I'm on.

I have a hard time believeing Savage is saying someone cannot say something, unless it is real slander.

Larry David
11-01-2009, 05:41 PM
meh, good fucking luck, Michael Savage.

Duff McCartney
11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Michael Savage is an idiot. The joke is about Larry David accidently spilling urine on a picture of Jesus and a lady thinking the picture is "crying". I'm pretty sure that's what he's on about.

I never listen to Michael Savage. Nor will I ever. The nonsense he spews is exactly why we have the first amendment.

Shastafarian
11-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Savage continues to attack Larry David, says he is the "most divisive, demonic character in the history of the media":lmao

panic giraffe
11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
to sum it up briefly...

are you familiar with larry david?

the guy who made "seinfeld"?

has a show on hbo called "curb your enthusiasm".

on a episode of said show, he's on a new medicine for something urinary. it gives him a high pressure flow when he pee's. some of his pee splats on picture of jesus (as if someone would want christ to stare at them taking a shit) at his assistant's mom's house. the mom is extremely religious and thinks that the splatter is a mircle (christ weeping). you kind of have to see it to understand.

savage is saying that having a jew (as if weiner is a good goyum name) do this is an insult to christians and he was not only asking for a boycott of the show, but also of hbo, until he apologizes and hbo can's the man who made the biggest tv success of the last twenty freggin years. sounds like censorship to me.

so i just want to know why michael savage is only for protecting speech that he agrees with.

jman3000
11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
He was going on and on about Larry David for a few days. Probably still is.

I have the same feeling as PG on this. Savage has been bitching for months about his ban in Britain and advocating for free speech and now all of a sudden he's being a little girl about a stray drop of urine.

Savage is only good for his nostalgic stories from the past and even those get repetitive.

jman3000
11-01-2009, 06:01 PM
MS has been dealt a string of humiliating snubs these last few months. He was butthurt about all his talk/radio constituents having huge tv success and him being relegated to being in a debate with the Cambridge Boy's Debate Society (or something)... only to have his speaking engagement (via satellite) cancelled last minute to further rub salt in the wound.

I listen to him regularly and it's obvious he's a huge narcisist and has some sort of disorder which causes him to get mad at non existent phantoms.

Wild Cobra
11-01-2009, 06:06 PM
savage is saying that having a jew (as if weiner is a good goyum name) do this is an insult to christians and he was not only asking for a boycott of the show, but also of hbo, until he apologizes and hbo can's the man who made the biggest tv success of the last twenty freggin years. sounds like censorship to me.

so i just want to know why michael savage is only for protecting speech that he agrees with.
Except that he isn't attempting censorhip, he is asking for bocotting. There is a big difference.

Is he suing saying he has no rght to do these things?

No.

He is asking that people respond a certain way.

Please. Get real. This is not censorship.

Wild Cobra
11-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I listen to him regularly and it's obvious he's a huge narcisist and has some sort of disorder which causes him to get mad at non existent phantoms.
I only listen to him from time to time. He is too negative for me to like.

Still, from what Panic posted, his freedom to try to convince people to act a certain way is free speech as well. Not censorship.

Shastafarian
11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Except that he isn't attempting censorhip, he is asking for bocotting. There is a big difference.What's the difference? He's telling people to boycott something. What's the end game?

Is he suing saying he has no rght to do these things?

No.

He is asking that people respond a certain way.He's asking people to stop larry david from making his type of jokes.

Please. Get real. This is not censorship.
Sounds like he's trying.

panic giraffe
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
i always thought "i don't like what you're saying/doing, so i'm going to prevent you from doing it" is a form of censorship. how is asking the network to remove his show any different from when the pmrc wanted to remove foul language from music?

Shastafarian
11-01-2009, 06:22 PM
It's amazing to think what the US would be like if people like Savage, Rush, Olbermann, O'Reilly, Hannity, Maddow, basically anyone who uses hate to further their own agenda, just didn't exist. I think the country would be in better shape.

Spurminator
11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Boycotting is not censorship.

panic giraffe
11-01-2009, 06:30 PM
It's amazing to think what the US would be like if people like Savage, Rush, Olbermann, O'Reilly, Hannity, Maddow, basically anyone who uses hate to further their own agenda, just didn't exist. I think the country would be in better shape.

you mean thought for themselves? nope couldn't see that happening.
they would simply replace said talking heads for a preacher/rabbi/priest/iman/tom cruise....

Shastafarian
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
you mean thought for themselves? nope couldn't see that happening.
they would simply replace said talking heads for a preacher/rabbi/priest/iman/tom cruise....

Sad but more than likely true.

Shastafarian
11-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Boycotting is not censorship.

I'm still trying to find a transcript of what Savage said. Knowing him he's asking for more than a boycott. I'd bet he wants the show canceled or some such nonsense.

panic giraffe
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm still trying to find a transcript of what Savage said. Knowing him he's asking for more than a boycott. I'd bet he wants the show canceled or some such nonsense.

don't know where to find the transcript, but yeah, from what i heard this week he was asking for people to cancel their hbo subscriptions until they remove the program.

jman3000
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
He did make watered down allusions to wishing that Christians had the same zeal in defending their faith as Muslims. He called for a boycott, but his viewers aren't the type to watch that show anyway so it doesn't really have much bite.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't get this guy. I listen to him sometimes on the way home from work.

SnakeBoy
11-01-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't get this guy. I listen to him sometimes on the way home from work.

I used to really like Savage. I rarely agreed with him and he was always pretty far out there but his show was entertaining. He's not a conservative/republican talk show host, more of a hate everyone equally kind of a guy. Ever since he was banned in britian though he has really gone off the deep end and his show sucks now. I can't listen to it anymore.

As a christian, I have to say the description of the Larry David peeing on Jesus skit sounds hilarious. I've never seen curb your enthusiasm but now I'm going to rent it.

balli
11-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I've never seen curb your enthusiasm but now I'm going to rent it.
Ironically enough, last week's episode (the one we're discussing) was one of, if not the, weirdest, least funny episodes in Curb's 7 season run.

But I'd recommend you follow through with your plans anyways.

PixelPusher
11-02-2009, 02:35 AM
props to Larry David for this alone:

O0uTi2qkgf0

Spurminator
11-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I haven't listened to Savage in a long time either but I never knew him to take the route of manufacturing outrage against TV shows most of his viewers don't watch. That's a very Focus on the Family/Bill O'Reilly thing to do.

MannyIsGod
11-02-2009, 09:23 AM
He's not advocatting censorship but they probably should just censor that episode since it was easily the worst of an amazing season so far.

panic giraffe
11-02-2009, 12:10 PM
He's not advocatting censorship but they probably should just censor that episode since it was easily the worst of an amazing season so far.

are you kidding? the ending alone made that whole episode worth it...i love it when comedy goes in circles...

MannyIsGod
11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok Ok - I admit the ending was a pretty good but that episode had nothing on the wheelchair episode.

balli
11-02-2009, 03:29 PM
The ending was alright, but that whole episode was just... odd. That flashback sequence? And it just seemed disorganized and sloppy and I didn't find Seinfeld too funny. It's still Curb, which makes it better than 99% of tv, but I thought that was one of the worst episodes in the entire series.

Which yeah, is odd given the brilliance of the preceding week.

symple19
11-02-2009, 08:26 PM
props to Larry David for this alone:

O0uTi2qkgf0

:lmao Makes me miss HBO... a little bit.

Suppose I could just DL the shows

jman3000
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
He's not a conservative/republican talk show host, more of a hate everyone equally kind of a guy. Ever since he was banned in britian though he has really gone off the deep end and his show sucks now. I can't listen to it anymore.

If by "hate everyone equally kind of guy" you mean "hate on all liberals and every conservative personality who's passed me up over the years kind of guy" I'll agree with you. He constantly makes fun of the Fox News people and at the same time holds about 98% of their ideas. It's nothing more than being butthurt and he has nobody to blame but himself. If it wasn't for his almost toddler like temper tantrums, he'd probably have a show on Fox by now. We all know how his show on MSNBC ended.

jman3000
11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
:lol O'Reilly just said he wants all the opinion broadcasters on all cable networks gone. Pretty weird.

hope4dopes
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh Yeah he's great..gotta love it he's total street theater, for those who live in places with no real streets I could see how they get weirded out.