PDA

View Full Version : Artest says he's shooting well, numbers tell a different story

duncan228
11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Lakers' Ron Artest says he's shooting well (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi1-2009nov01,0,2959438.story)
The numbers tell a different story, though, and Coach Phil Jackson has noticed.
By Broderick Turner

His stats tell one story.

He tells another.

The two are conflicting, confounding even when Ron Artest explains his woes on offense.

He's shooting only 25% (four for 16) from the field, 22.2% (two for nine) from three-point range. He's even missing from the free-throw line, making only 33.3% (three for nine) of his tries.

Those numbers say Artest's shot has betrayed him. He says otherwise.

"I feel like I shot the ball well," Artest, who is averaging 6.5 points after two games with the Lakers, said after practice Saturday. "I feel like I'm playing great. That's how I feel."

Artest's problems started in the exhibition season, when he made only 39.6% of his shots, 25% of his three-point tries and 57.6% of his free throws.

Perhaps Artest just isn't comfortable in the triangle offense yet.

"When we're all in sync, it shows how comfortable I am in the offense," Artest said. "As a team, when we're not in sync, it shows like something is stuck in between a door. No matter how hard you try, it's still something in between that door and you can't move it. That just means you've got to play a little bit more smarter at times."

Asked about Artest's poor shooting, Coach Phil Jackson gave another answer that was more in line with what actually seems to be the truth, saying that "shooting wise, he has not been shooting the ball well enough for his own satisfaction nor ours."

Jackson said Artest has to "figure out" on his own where he's most effective in the offense, because the triangle is supposed to mean equal opportunity.

"We don't do much play calling for individuals and so he has to learn how to fit in," said Jackson, whose team plays the Atlanta Hawks tonight at Staples Center. "We hope that that comes in time. That's something that we anticipate will happen. We're not surprised that there are some little things like that in various points in the game."

Gasol update

Jackson said "there's not a chance" that Pau Gasol, out for the first two regular-season games because of a strained right hamstring, will play tonight.

KSeal
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
He's been so horrible so far. Hoping for at least a decent game tonight from this loon.

noob cake
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Ariza
23.3 PPG on 50/52.4% shooting

I am not saying that this will continue, but just observing that Ariza has been playing much better than Artest.

iggypop123
11-01-2009, 07:50 PM
im worried about gasol. his health will fix it all looks like he wont play until friday

KSeal
11-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Ariza
23.3 PPG on 50/52.4% shooting

I am not saying that this will continue, but just observing that Ariza has been playing much better than Artest.

What's to be really funny is when Ariza completely shits all over Artest and drops like 35 on him this week when the Lakers go to Houston.

Shastafarian
11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Should be interesting to see if he can stop Marvin Williams and/or Joe Johnson (if Phil wants that matchup).

picnroll
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Shoot more Ron. :tu

mystargtr34
11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Some good matchup's tonight....

Bynum - Horford
Odom - Smith
Artest - Williams
Kobe - Johnson
Fisher - Bibby
------------------
Scrub 1 - Crawford
Scrub 2 - Pachulia

Allanon
11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
He's been horrid but Ron will get his shooting back. The rest of Ron's game is good.

djohn2oo8
11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Damn I've been slackin lately, I could have sworn that I warned Laker fans about this, guess not....anyways, get used to that

Thompson
11-01-2009, 08:05 PM
That just means you've got to play a little bit more smarter at times.

:lol Ron, I think you're in trouble.

iggypop123
11-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Some good matchup's tonight....

Bynum - Horford
Odom - Smith
Artest - Williams
Kobe - Johnson
Fisher - Bibby
------------------
Scrub 1 - Crawford
Scrub 2 - Pachulia

really?

Fpoonsie
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
:lol Ron, I think you're in trouble.

:lol

[cliche'] He's not so much "with the words" [/cliche']

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
He really is crazy if he can't just admit his shot isn't there..it's not a big deal, he's a good player, his shots will eventually drop..nothing wrong with admitting it..

I still like that Artest is playing for LA instead of Ariza, but I expect Ron to play better than he's currently playing..

carrao45
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I still am glad he's a Laker, but he is absolutely insane.

DPG21920
11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Why are people acting like it is not incredibly difficult to go to a new team, learn a new system and learn how to be a 4th option when you are used to being the number 1 or 2?

mystargtr34
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
really?

yea not really i guess i just went ahead and listed the entire starting lineups.

Ghazi
11-01-2009, 08:39 PM
2 game sample, big deal

F the exhibition stats.

Lars
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Heres why this is bad...

If Ron thinks he is playing well, he has no incentive to change his shot selection or style of play. This is something we saw alot of last year, we too assumed it would get better. It never really did however.

Allanon
11-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Heres why this is bad...

If Ron thinks he is playing well, he has no incentive to change his shot selection or style of play. This is something we saw alot of last year, we too assumed it would get better. It never really did however.

His shot selection isn't bad at all this year.

His shooting on wide open shots is just friggin' terrible.

Lars
11-01-2009, 09:15 PM
While I will admit I havent watched the Laker games this season, Artest was a killer spot up 3pt shooter for us last year, feeding off of Yao. So I find that surprising...

What was frustrating was his jumping to his left fadeaway contested jumpers with 18 seconds on the shot clock.

DPG21920
11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Ron's shot are all wide open. They are certainly not bad shots. Maybe that is what Ron means?

iggypop123
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
While I will admit I havent watched the Laker games this season, Artest was a killer spot up 3pt shooter for us last year, feeding off of Yao. So I find that surprising...

What was frustrating was his jumping to his left fadeaway contested jumpers with 18 seconds on the shot clock.

thats a good point. this season i have only seen him open for 2 shots the rest has been with a defender or the post. but i think with gasol back eventually that will allow him to be in rythm for open 3's. thats why im not going nuts over this play

Double-Up
11-01-2009, 09:58 PM
He shot 40% from the field last year and he needs a decent amount of shots since he is so streaky....I'm not sure how this LA thing is gonna work out but time will tell.

Indazone
11-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Adleman's Motion offense made Artest look like a near All-Star last year. In Lakerland, the Triangle Offense has him completely screwed. It's pretty much traditional pick and roll offense sideways and he doesn't get it.

LOL Artest!

iggypop123
11-01-2009, 11:58 PM
5-11 good bounceback

Allanon
11-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Very good game by Ron tonight.

iggypop123
11-02-2009, 12:05 AM
12,7,4 and 3 blocks. well at least he isnt a scrub

The Third Man
11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
It took Ron a little while to adjust last year in Houston and then he was fine. I wouldn't worry about his offensive game. He is struggling more and more defensively. He needs to lose weight.

Allanon
11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Joe Johnson's next contract will be a bit smaller because of what Artest did to him tonight.

picc84
11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
It took Ron a little while to adjust last year in Houston and then he was fine. I wouldn't worry about his offensive game. He is struggling more and more defensively. He needs to lose weight.

His defense was the best part of his game tonight. 3 blocks and he basically shut down Joe J. in the 2nd half. I've been very impressed with his D so far this season. His offense is struggling but as long as he contributes defensively it makes up for it. He's moving a lot quicker on his feet than I imagined he would given how everyone was talking about him before the season.

boston.balla
11-02-2009, 01:13 AM
if there is someone I despise in this game, it's this fool. The greatest idiot in a league. Talented or not, this fuck should be in an asylum.

hater
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
:downspin:
if there is someone I despise in this game, it's this fool. The greatest idiot in a league. Talented or not, this fuck should be in an asylum.

this coming from a fan of the team with KG on it is hilarious :lol

:downspin:

picc84
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM

http://sportsavante.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/garnett_360_040516.jpg

:lol

djohn2oo8
11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm sure Kobe has pulled Ron aside, and their conversation went something like this

Kobe: "Ron?"
Ron: "Yes schnukums"
Kobe: "Stop shooting like shit, and give me the damn ball"
Ron: "Ron Artest never shoots like shit"
Kobe: "RON!!!!" (Angrily)
Ron: "Ok, I'm your nuthugger, so anything for u"

Rogue
11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm sure Kobe has pulled Ron aside, and their conversation went something like this

Kobe: "Ron?"
Ron: "Yes schnukums"
Kobe: "Stop shooting like shit, and give me the damn ball"
Ron: "Ron Artest never shoots like shit"
Kobe: "RON!!!!" (Angrily)
Ron: "Ok, I'm your nuthugger, so anything for u"
neither Kobe nor Ron would have been such dumbasses as you imitated you motherfucker. Even Ron's farts make more sense than the sounds from your mouth do.

BTW, timvp has been mute for quite a while and probably he's already retired, which means our truce's expired.

DAF86
11-02-2009, 12:15 PM
He's been horrid but Ron will get his shooting back.

You're right, Ron will eventually get his shooting back and average his usual 40% from the field.

Agloco
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Lakers' Ron Artest says he's shooting well (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi1-2009nov01,0,2959438.story)
The numbers tell a different story, though, and Coach Phil Jackson has noticed.
By Broderick Turner

His stats tell one story.

He tells another.

The two are conflicting, confounding even when Ron Artest explains his woes on offense.

He's shooting only 25% (four for 16) from the field, 22.2% (two for nine) from three-point range. He's even missing from the free-throw line, making only 33.3% (three for nine) of his tries.

Those numbers say Artest's shot has betrayed him. He says otherwise.

"I feel like I shot the ball well," Artest, who is averaging 6.5 points after two games with the Lakers, said after practice Saturday. "I feel like I'm playing great. That's how I feel."

This is what you get when Ron-Ron cycles off of his meds. It would seem that even simple math is a bit much for him.

It's just gonna get better and better as we roll along.

21_Blessings
11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
But his shots haven't been bad shots. Keep circle jerking over box scores though.

The main concern has been Ron in the post. He hasn't been able to finish around the hoop. I think once he becomes more comfortable out there he'll be able to pick his spots and take advantage of the mismatch with more consistency. No way his post game doesn't improve by playing with Kobe every day in practice.

j.dizzle
11-02-2009, 02:30 PM
You can tell Artest is still a little nervous & learning the system & his new teammates...He is now on one of the biggest franchises ever & knows everyone is watching him closely so ill give him a month or two to start gelling. Its gonna be freakin insane though when Gasol comes back..He's one of the best 7 foot passers ive ever seen & he'll definetly find artest a lot & give him more confidence as the season progresses.

Allanon
11-02-2009, 02:38 PM
You're right, Ron will eventually get his shooting back and average his usual 40% from the field.

I'm totally cool with Ron shooting 40% forever if this is Kobe after the game:

"It all started with No. 37," Bryant said, referring to Artest's jersey number. It upped the energy level defensively.

I told him this game was all him because I felt like his energy changed the complexity of the game.

We all kind of rallied behind him at that point. His defense in particular was outstanding."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-hawks2-2009nov02,0,5455632.story

djohn2oo8
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
neither Kobe nor Ron would have been such dumbasses as you imitated you motherfucker. Even Ron's farts make more sense than the sounds from your mouth do.

BTW, timvp has been mute for quite a while and probably he's already retired, which means our truce's expired.

Back to the good ole' days, when Rogue is back to his former self

Indazone
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
ah yes, when dumbasses rule. When excuses are like Rogue cause everyone's got one and it sure do stink.

Bring it!

DPG21920
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Artest has been playing pretty good and even though he is not making shots, he is taking good shots for the most part.

It is not a surprise that Ron was able to check Joe. Ron is still a good defender and Joe is not a super athletic guy like other two's.

DrHouse
11-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I really don't care what Ron Artest does on offense right now. He will learn his role in the offense in time and figure out how he can score more efficiently. I also expect him to start converting those wide open looks at a higher rate.

I only care about his defense, and thus far he has delivered. If he can hound the opposing teams best player and completely take them out of their comfort zone then he has done his job. Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Odom, etc. will take care of the scoring load.