PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Jefferson's breakout is bat-obscured

Blackjack
11-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Jefferson's breakout is bat-obscured (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Jeffersons_breakout_is_bat-obscured.html)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

Poor Richard Jefferson. The Spurs' new small forward finally enjoyed a prime shooting night for his new team — and it was obscured by a bat.

After starting the season 4 of 16 from the field, Jefferson enjoyed a breakout performance in the Spurs' 113-94 victory over Sacramento on Saturday night, hitting 7 of 8 shots en route to a 21-point performance that surpassed what he had scored in the first two games.

Afterward, however, all anybody wanted to talk about was Manu Ginobili's takedown of a wayward bat at the AT&T Center.

For Jefferson, life since the June trade from Milwaukee has been about adjusting — to a new team, a new role and the occasional Ginobili highlight.

“It's a situation where, in the past, you're playing 40 minutes a night, you're getting 20 touches,” Jefferson said. “Here, you don't need a lot of shots. You just need to be efficient. That's something that will take a little getting used to.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has urged Jefferson, a career 17.7 points-per-game scorer, to be more aggressive offensively. Though that part of the adjustment remains a work in progress, Popovich was pleased with what he saw in Jefferson's third outing.

“After 15 or 20 games, he'll feel a lot more comfortable than he does now,” Popovich said. “He'll know what people do, and they'll know what he does, and I'll know how they fit with our players. I thought he was much more aggressive (against Sacramento) and much more decisive with the things he did.”

One place Jefferson's aggression has been noted — the foul line. His 16 attempts tie Ginobili for the team lead in that category.

In praise of D: On the surface, the Spurs' rout of the Kings looked at lot like their season-opening plastering of New Orleans. On second thought, Popovich enjoyed the victory over Sacramento more, because unlike against the Hornets, the Spurs' defense got better as the game progressed.

After giving up 30 points in the third quarter to Sacramento, the Spurs held the Kings without a field goal for the first 41/2 minutes of the fourth. The Kings finished shooting 44.6 percent after flirting with 50.

“We didn't want to end the game being sloppy,” Popovich said. “It was good to see that group continue to execute in the fourth quarter. That was the best part of the game for me, besides Manu's catch.”

Another day of rest: With four full days before Thursday's game at Utah, Popovich gave his team another day off Sunday.

Thanks to the quirky early-season schedule and new practice routine, the Spurs have not had a mandatory workout since the regular season began.

da_suns_fan
11-02-2009, 01:28 AM
So this is the second thread about Ginobili and a bat. Im too lazy to look it up. Would someone please kindly explain.

Blackjack
11-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I got to admit, when I saw that it was you that posted, I had to check and see if you'd already gone back on your word regarding RJ. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
11-02-2009, 01:52 AM
is jefferson as clutch like ginoboli at the FT line during closeout games?

cause if his good, then he could be another option besides ginoboli if we cant give him the ball....

Danny.Zhu
11-02-2009, 02:04 AM
One place Jefferson's aggression has been noted — the foul line. His 16 attempts tie Ginobili for the team lead in that category.

That's exactly what we need the most on offense.

mystargtr34
11-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I hate it when coaches say, we defended really well for this 4 and a half minute stretch here, or we defended better in this quarter or part of this game... more often than not thats fool's gold, because alot of the time teams simply go cold or out of synch on offense (ie bench players coming in, change of lineup). I dont think a team defends badly for 2 and a half quarters, and all of a sudden defends well for a quarter.... Its an all-game sort of mentality... You either take pride in it and do it all game, or you dont.

Obviously for this team its a little different, in that they have alot of new pieces to integrate, but i dont think this team has that sort of Boston, or 2005 Spurs mentality yet, or whether they will get it at all.

Im not talking about Pop spcifically, just him saying that reminds me of the coach of a .500 team giving up 100 PPG all season commenting on how his team defended really well tonight so they got the win, when really it was no different to any other game, other than their opponent having a bad night.

Spurs Brazil
11-02-2009, 10:10 AM

That's great. It was one of our biggest weakness last season

I expect this number to grown when RJ feels more comfortable with his role

phyzik
11-02-2009, 11:14 AM
So this is the second thread about Ginobili and a bat. Im too lazy to look it up. Would someone please kindly explain.

Halloween... A bat... Manu...just watch.... :lol

yT-F5QznjrA

Manufan909
11-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Im not talking about Pop spcifically, just him saying that reminds me of the coach of a .500 team giving up 100 PPG all season commenting on how his team defended really well tonight so they got the win, when really it was no different to any other game, other than their opponent having a bad night.

These Spurs will never be at that level defensively, unless:

1) Either Tim or Theo are on the court for all but 5 minutes of the game.
2) Hairston plays more than Finley.
3) Fin and Bonner don't start.
4) Fin and Bonner play the least for their rotation
5) Blair learns to play real defense, and not gamble so much.