PDA

View Full Version : Q & A with DeJuan Blair

duncan228
11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Q & A with DeJuan Blair (http://www.examiner.com/x-1192-NBA-Examiner~y2009m10d31-Q--A-with-DeJuan-Blair)
Sherron Shabazz

Many experts will agree that DeJuan Blair dropping to 37th in the 2009 NBA Draft was a crime. Blair was the Co-Big East Player of the Year for Pittsburgh scoring 15.7 points a game and grabbing 12.3 rebounds in his sophomore season. NBA teams liked Blair’s abilities but were scared off by reports that he had no detectable ACL’s left in either knee.

The Spurs took a chance on Blair that just may pay off. Blair began the NBA preseason by scoring 16 points and grabbing 19 boards in just 22 minutes. When the real games began Blair continued to impress by helping the Spurs defeat the Hornets with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

I recently spoke with the Spurs reserve forward and found him to be surprisingly aloof. But hey, he’s only a rookie…

SS: You had a pretty impressive first NBA game. What did it feel like?

DeJuan Blair: Another game. I’m just taking it one game at a time. It felt like another game.

SS: There’s been a lot of talk about you slipping in the draft. Do you have any extra motivation to show teams what they missed out on?

DeJuan Blair: No. It’s just me keeping playing. I’m not worried about other teams. Congrats. I hope they have good seasons (laughs).

SS: What’s your preparation like on game day?

DeJuan Blair: Get here early, shoot, lift, relax, and wait ‘till the game.

SS: Now you’re playing with some pretty impressive veteran power forwards in Tim Duncan and Antonio McDyess. What have they taught you in this short time to help you improve your game?

DeJuan Blair: I’m just learning every day. They keep telling me to keep my head, relax, and play. So I’m just going to keep playing and the rest will come.

SS: You came to a team with a great legacy and a few titles. What does it feel like being a rookie and possibly being on your way to compete for an NBA championship?

DeJuan Blair: It’s an amazing feeling. I just gotta keep playing, take it one day at a time, and try not to get down on myself. Sometimes I won’t get minutes, sometimes I won’t play at all—I just gotta keep playing.

SS: Have you experienced any rookie hazing thus far?

DeJuan Blair: Nah, just bring donuts every day. That’s it.

Manufan909
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
He is truly a man of few words.

I. Hustle
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
He is just taking it one game at a time

Mel_13
11-02-2009, 01:19 PM
SS: What’s your preparation like on game day?

DeJuan Blair: Get here early, shoot, lift, relax, and wait ‘till the game.

We arrived much earlier than usual for the Kings game so we could eat at the new FanZone. If you ever get there an hour before the game, there are always a few guys working on something.

On Saturday night, the two Spurs out there were Blair and Bogans. Blair was mostly practicing free throws. He also was drilled on receiving a pass in the post and then making a move to the basket.

The other guy was Bogans. As you might expect, he was working on his 3pt shooting.

xtremesteven33
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Its amazing how the Spurs culture can change a person.

Manufan909
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Its amazing how the Spurs culture can change a person.

How so?

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2009, 01:45 PM

He sounds like he's in a 12 step program.

Interrohater
11-02-2009, 01:45 PM

:lol and of course, he's gonna keep playing. I'm glad, cuz those guys that take it two games at a time usually suck.

Also, notice his patterns of speech, he's really just tired of those same questions and doesn't want to rehash it. When speaking about the chance to win a championship is when he actually had something to say. I wonder when reporters will stop asking about the draft and when they'll start being interested in him, with questions like "do you play video games?" or "When are you going to do an H-E-B commercial?"

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
How so?

He used to take two games at a time.

Bender
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I can't believe NBA players eat so many donoughts.

jesterbobman
11-02-2009, 02:54 PM
The Popovich school of answering questions.

Solid D
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
one game at a time.

Next season, he will learn "It is what it is."

SpurNation
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
He's been impressive so far. The Chicago game was not one of his best defensive outings but otherwise managed to still play decent.

IMO...He would have had more points in the Seattle game if the connection off the pick and role were made. I've noticed his quickness allows him to be wide open most of the time when making that move so perhaps later they will incorporate it more.

Hopefully his rotations on defense will get quicker but his lack of height is always going to be an issue against some of the taller premier post players.

Gotta love the attitude though. He's not expecting to be the man but plays like he is "Da' Man". That can only help him improve sooner.

angelbelow
11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Haha, everything I hear donuts.

sonic21
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
so he just gotta "keep playing" ?

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Next season, he will learn "It is what it is."

The Spurs window is too small to bring him along that slowly. He should have, "It is what it is," in his arsenal by the All Star break because by the time the postseason rolls around the Spurs are going to need an energy big off the bench who can say that they need to "go out there and play Spurs basketball."

symple19
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Who cares how the guy interviews? His job is to rebound and maim. I would say his Spurs indoctrination is proceeding well.

AussieFanKurt
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah good words grizzly

SKINNYPIMP210
11-02-2009, 05:06 PM
he used to take two games at a time.

lmfao!!!

Interrohater
11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
It would be nice if he could learn the old "we just continue grinding"

SouthTexasRancher
11-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Stay like you are, DeJuan and you'll end up getting that Champioship ring!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-03-2009, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the article, 228. :tu

Remember, he's young, he's just stepped into a big new world, and he's absorbing the team culture - keep it simple, focus on now, play to your strengths, remember you are one cog in the machine, learn from your mistakes and with hard work you'll improve. I'll take his workmanlike attitude over the cocky gangster wannabes at the other end of the spectrum any day.

Rapper
11-03-2009, 04:10 AM
He is truly a man of few words.

BillMc
11-03-2009, 04:20 AM
I think people underestimate Blair. He's shown quickly that he's too intelligent for the dumb repetitive questions he's asked every day. He seems only to engage when there is something both new and interesting asked of him. Good for Dejuan!

Spur|n|Austin
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I can't believe NBA players eat so many donoughts.

:lol right?!

Manufan909
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the article, 228. :tu

Remember, he's young, he's just stepped into a big new world, and he's absorbing the team culture - keep it simple, focus on now, play to your strengths, remember you are one cog in the machine, learn from your mistakes and with hard work you'll improve. I'll take his workmanlike attitude over the cocky gangster wannabes at the other end of the spectrum any day.

I think you're reaching, Ruff. It seems to be more that he is bored as fuck with the same shit over and over, so he's decided to say less each time. Eventually he'll just say one word and growl at the reporters.:lol

nkdlunch
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM
sounds like Blair was annoyed at the interview.

he is looking more and more like barkley to me. :tu