PDA

View Full Version : Spurs article from Statesman

Amuseddaysleeper
04-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Commentary: Kirk Bohls
Shaken Spurs have shaky road ahead

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, April 17, 2005

SAN ANTONIO -- Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich has always been one to see the forest, even if some of his own trees have vanished, including the biggest tree of all.

For the past month, Tim Duncan was working overtime on an underwater treadmill and trying out every brand of ankle brace known to man. Velcro braces. Laced braces. High braces. Braces in low places.

Rasho Nesterovic, the team's starting center, sprained an ankle of his own. He won't play until next weekend's playoffs.

Nazr Mohammed, the former Knick who was knocked for so-so offense and too few blocks, arrived in late February and was still feeling his way.

With Shaq finally relocated to the other coast and Phil Jackson gone to Zenland, the lane to the NBA title was supposed to go directly through San Antonio. And it still might.

But not without some potholes, starting most likely with the biggest road hazard of all -- the streaking Denver Nuggets.

"Oooh," Spurs shooter-turned-analyst Sean Elliott grimaced. "I don't like that."

No one does. It appeared Houston might be San Antonio's first-round opponent, at least until the Rockets cooled the flaming Nuggets, who before Saturday had lost just twice since the All-Star break, both times to the No. 1-ranked Phoenix Suns.

With Duncan on the mend and his hook shot looking a little flat, the Spurs suddenly look more vulnerable with the Nuggets in their path.

"There's a little bit of that. Denver's front-line is healthy and together," said Elliott, referring to Kenyon Martin, Marcus Camby, Carmelo Anthony and Nene. "They've got four guys who play above the rim. High above the rim. We've been doing it by committee."

San Antonio's committee convened at the rim Saturday in the Spurs' final home game as they closed out that portion of their schedule with a 22-point win over Memphis for their best-ever 38-3 home record. Funny, but the PA system didn't announce the team's 21-18 road record.

Fortunately, Mohammed is playing stronger and stronger inside, which is critical since Nesterovic's return is uncertain and the Spurs need Mo blocked shots and Mo interior defense. He denied five Memphis shots, six if you count his legal swat of Pau Gasol's drive that was somehow whistled.

Sixth man Robert Horry brought a lot of the energy and savvy that expatriate Malik Rose made his staples, and scorer Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson, who's 32 going on 42, blocked a shot and snagged four rebounds.

"I'm clueless about the playoffs," Horry said. "It's going to be a wide-open field. But it's nice to chip some of the rust off Tim."

That, without question, remains the key to the postseason, no matter how many treys Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry drain. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili will find the paint a no-drive-thru lane without Duncan's formidable presence.

"If the matchups pan out," Elliott said, "I think it will be us and Dallas if we can get Tim in rhythm and our confidence is up. I think Dallas will beat Seattle and Phoenix. Plus, the Big Dog is starting to show some things. He can be a wild card for us."

The last time the Spurs had a healthy Duncan and Robinson, they won their second title in five years.

On this night, Duncan looked stiff and tentative early and didn't have great timing on his shots, hitting just 3 of 11. He posted 11 points and eight rebounds in 23 minutes, and he's not yet close to the form he showed before his injury in mid-March.

Popovich almost swooned when point guard Parker alley-ooped a third-quarter lob pass to Duncan that careened out of bounds.

"I was fine," Duncan said. "I just forgot I couldn't jump."

San Antonio clearly can't make that jump to the finals without its superstar. Big-picture Popovich made it clear that he puts a healthy Duncan even ahead of victories.

"Absolutely," Popovich said. "We want him in top form and in sync with all the other players."

Popovich let that be known in Duncan's first game back when he let a winnable game with the Utah Jazz slip away. The best power forward in the game scored 17 points in 20 minutes but didn't budge from his seat in the last 9 1/2 as San Antonio lost by two.

There's not another coach in the league who would have done that, but the innovative Pop would rather forfeit home-court advantage to the Suns than not have Duncan on any court.

"Tim's health was more important," he said.

With that in mind, he's treating these finales like the first week of the regular season so the Spurs can familiarize themselves with their rotations, their plays, their changes of defense.

"It's like the beginning of the season for us," Pop said.

With the idea that the official end of the season is still a long ways off.

[email protected]

Rummpd
04-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Fair column.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 09:10 AM
The last time the Spurs had a healthy Duncan and Robinson, they won their second title in five years.

How many more plays on Glenn's name will we hear from now until the Championship?