PDA

View Full Version : From A Pitt Panther Alumn

Pittman
11-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey Guys,

My first time posting here. I am sure you guys already know how lucky you got by having Blair fall right into your lap. I have been watching him for the last two years and he is just a monster who is going to help you guys win your next championship.

I haven't been a fan of pro ball, but I am now a fan of the Spurs.

I look forward to watching Blair dominate the boards in the pros like he did in college. You have one hell of a player who is always going to have a smile on his face no matter what happens.

Pittman

ElNono
11-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Welcome :toast

Thompson
11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Howdy. I'm curious, do you follow Young's Grizzlies as well, or were you more a fan of DeJuan? Did Blair ever seem to have consistent trouble with any specific type of opposing player (I know he manhandled Thabeet, but did any other long guys give him trouble)?

NRHector
11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey Guys,

My first time posting here. I am sure you guys already know how lucky you got by having Blair fall right into your lap. I have been watching him for the last two years and he is just a monster who is going to help you guys win your next championship.

I look forward to watching Blair dominate the boards in the pros like he did in college. You have one hell of a player who is always going to have a smile on his face no matter what happens.

Pittman
his name is not Blair anymore is "the beast" and welcome

duncan228
11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the board.

Pittman
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Howdy. I'm curious, do you follow Young's Grizzlies as well, or were you more a fan of DeJuan? Did Blair ever seem to have consistent trouble with any specific type of opposing player (I know he manhandled Thabeet, but did any other long guys give him trouble)?

Blair always had an issue with guarding out at the top of the key. When he would work on the hedge, he would stick his foot out at times and get a bad foul 15 - 20 feet from the basket when working on a guard.

He would also have an issue guarding someone who can shoot from the 3 as a center. Someone like Thabeet was much easier for him because he would stay by the basket. Dejuan would manhandle those centers because his center of gravity was lower and he was much broader and could get his position.

I do follow Sam Young as well for Memphis, but he won't be starting soon. I believe someone like Blair a.k.a "the Beast", will be starting at the power forward for you guys soon like Barkley used to in the day for the 76ers and the Suns.

Spursmania
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Welcome:toast

Thompson
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Blair always had an issue with guarding out at the top of the key. When he would work on the hedge, he would stick his foot out at times and get a bad foul 15 - 20 feet from the basket when working on a guard.

He would also have an issue guarding someone who can shoot from the 3 as a center. Someone like Thabeet was much easier for him because he would stay by the basket. Dejuan would manhandle those centers because his center of gravity was lower and he was much broader and could get his position.

I do follow Sam Young as well for Memphis, but he won't be starting soon. I believe someone like Blair a.k.a "the Beast", will be starting at the power forward for you guys soon like Barkley used to in the day for the 76ers and the Suns.

Thanks, good info. I hope his weight loss (and Pop's constant nagging) will help him improve guarding out at the top of the key, as you mentioned. Even if it doesn't improve enough in the first year or so, Pop can always sub him in and out depending on the type of opposing power forward, I guess.

samikeyp
11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
:toast

TIMMYD!
11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the Greatest Spurs Forum Ever.:toast

Pittman
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks, good info. I hope his weight loss (and Pop's constant nagging) will help him improve guarding out at the top of the key, as you mentioned. Even if it doesn't improve enough in the first year or so, Pop can always sub him in and out depending on the type of opposing power forward, I guess.

He would probably have to in the beginning. Blair has been getting in much better shape as his career at Pitt went on. When he came to Pitt, he was almost 300 pounds and he was down to 265 and more muscle at the beginning of his sophmore year.

As a PF, he would have an issue guarding someone like Frye,Nowitzski or Anderson and it would be easier to guard someone like Murphy or Boozer.

benefactor
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
An unknown group of people in this place will inexplicably turn on Blair at some point this season, whether they have a legit reason or not. Just letting you know so that you are not surprised.

Welcome aboard. :toast

Pittman
11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
An unknown group of people in this place will inexplicably turn on Blair at some point this season, whether they have a legit reason or not. Just letting you know so that you are not surprised.

Welcome aboard. :toast

I am used to that being a Pitt Panther fan. The war on the boards over Wendstadt and when Dixon was first hired as the coach there were a lot of wars. There are still people who think that Jamie is not a good coach and should be replaced.

The jury is still out on Dave W as well. So, it won't be a surprise. I just can't wait to see him flip another guy over his back like he did Thabeet.

symple19
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Welcome!

superjames1992
11-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I will turn on Blair the second he has a bad game. I'm a WVU fan and I don't care for a Pitt Panther on this Spurs team! Argh!

j/k!

Pittman
11-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I will turn on Blair the second he has a bad game. I'm a WVU fan and I don't care for a Pitt Panther on this Spurs team! Argh!

j/k!

I feel the same way as being a Dolphin fan. I can't stand having Pat White on my team. It is just strange. You guys should have a much better team this year as my beloved Panthers go through a rebuilding year with 4 new starters.

This year the Big East belongs to you, Villanova, UConn and ND. I can't believe it, but I figure my Panthers are in for a 7th place finish in the BE and a 10 - 14 seed in the NCAA.

senorglory
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM

NBA footwork will take care of that.

honestfool84
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
welcome. :tu

easy7
11-02-2009, 09:38 PM
:toast

SpurNation
11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Great info. Thanks and welcome. I have always thought from the beginning Blair would make the starting rotation next to Duncan.

Time will tell but his quick study and determination should make my prediction come true in the near future.

SenorSpur
11-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Welcome aboard, PittMan.

Question for you. After assuming Blair would be long gone by the time the Spurs were to pick, my first choice was Sam Young. As you are a Panther basketball fan, which guy (Blair or Young) would you say would make more of an impact for the Spurs?

Samr
11-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey Guys,

You have one hell of a player who is always going to have a smile on his face no matter what happens.

Pretty sure he wasn't smiling about three seconds into this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-F5QznjrA).

Welcome Pittman!! If you're a fan of Blair, this is the place to be. You'll see about 1-2 threads a day on him actually. More on game days.

peskypesky
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Welcome to Spurstalk, Pittman! As you can see from my avatar, I know that Dejuan Blair is the real deal. So goddamned psyched that he came to the Spurs. We've needed a bruiser in the paint for a long-ass time.

SouthTexasRancher
11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Hey Guys,

Pittman

Welcome aboard. Blair is an animal (that's a compliment). We are all very impressed with his attitude and hustle. Hopefully he'll be rewarded with a ring this season.

Pittman
11-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Pretty sure he wasn't smiling about three seconds into this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-F5QznjrA).

Welcome Pittman!! If you're a fan of Blair, this is the place to be. You'll see about 1-2 threads a day on him actually. More on game days.

Blair didn't want to get rabies. A rabid Blair would be unfair to any opponent he went up against because he would be even more vicious.

Pittman
11-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Welcome aboard, PittMan.

Question for you. After assuming Blair would be long gone by the time the Spurs were to pick, my first choice was Sam Young. As you are a Panther basketball fan, which guy (Blair or Young) would you say would make more of an impact for the Spurs?

Blair would have been the better pick for you guys than Young would have been. With your line-up, Young would not have seen the floor as quickly as Blair will. You have Jefferson, Ginobli and Finley that pay the 2 and 3 and Young probably would not be coming off the bench as early. Young is a little to slow for the 2 and a little to small for the 3 in the NBA. He has one of the best up-fakes in the history of college basketball but I am not sure it would work in the NBA.

For the current Spurs roster, Blair makes the most sense for you guys. Especially with Duncan liking to be 10 ft away on offense for his bank shots and the such, Blair will be underneath for rebounds.

Young is a good player and if he actually gets a chance in Memphis, he will do well. I am not that sure he will get it, especially with a whiny AI.

urunobili
11-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Welcome Pittman :tu

Question:
What weaknesses do you see on the beasts game?

Pittman
11-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Welcome Pittman :tu

Question:
What weaknesses do you see on the beasts game?

He is not that great guarding on the outside. Against a 3 point shooting PF/C he could be taken to lunch. He is not that quick on the hedge and can get some crap fouls because of it. Usually, when he gets into foul trouble, it is because he took a foul 15+ feet away from the basket when he is guarding a 3pt shooter or guarding the hedge on a pick and roll and gets to agressive.

rjv
11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
welcome-some fresh perspective is always welcome

SpurNation
11-04-2009, 10:22 AM
He is not that great guarding on the outside. Against a 3 point shooting PF/C he could be taken to lunch. He is not that quick on the hedge and can get some crap fouls because of it. Usually, when he gets into foul trouble, it is because he took a foul 15+ feet away from the basket when he is guarding a 3pt shooter or guarding the hedge on a pick and roll and gets to agressive.

You can tell you have watched his game. It's what gets him in foul trouble now. I'm sure the Spurs will find a way to lesson that fact if he can transition himself to not making the mental errors that cause the fouls.

For his size...he is faster than what I first assumed. Garnishing that speed will be a key to his improvement. Also, I look forward to his production off the pick in role. From the brief moments I've watched him play...he is wide open in the lane when peeling off to the basket. Hopefully the Spurs will utelize that in the near future.