PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Nuggets First Round Preview Thread

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:01 AM
It looks like this series is going to happen. Denver will need to win their final two games and Houston or Sacramento would have to lose their final two games to change it.

Looking ahead, what do you think the biggest challenges are? Why are the Nuggets the league's best team since the All-Star break?

Do they scare you?

Discuss.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I'll summarize everything I've posted on the subject:

1. George Karl has a playoff jinx.
2. Winning streaks in regular season does not automatically carry over to playoffs.
3. Although Nuggets have experience in the playoffs against the Timberwolves, the Spurs have more experience, and will not take the Nuggets lightly.
4. In a seven game series, the best team almost always wins. Does anyone here truly believe the Nuggets are a better team than the Spurs?

williemoonshine
04-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I think Denver is the ideal first round opponent for SA despite Denver being the best team since the break. The only real challenge is to contain their bigs, Martin, Camby Nene. Bruce has held Carmelo to a combined 20-66 from the field and I doubt that would change come the playoffs. Miller and Boykins provide a formidable challenge for Parker and Udrih but when push comes to shove, Tony will be just to much. Denver, or any team has an answer for Manu, our depth is too much.. oh and we have that dude named Duncan to keep everyone in check. I say we take this series 4-0 and that will give us a nice break between Sac and Sea as that series could go six or seven.

Dex
04-18-2005, 09:21 AM
4. In a seven game series, the best team almost always wins. Does anyone here truly believe the Nuggets are a better team than the Spurs?

I think they are worried more about the 'almost always'.

Frankly, I feel like you play whoever happens to get in your way.

The Spurs can put up with any team in this league, hands down. I like those chances.

No team is ever assured a championship. Even the Bulls in their time had to earn it every now and then.

Believe.

ducks
04-18-2005, 09:27 AM
I think the reason the nuggets are doing as well as they are after the break is they have not gotten beat soundly with karl as the coach. I like to see how they respond to their blowout loss the other night. Everything is always rossy with a new coach tell they lose. Melo has been quit because they have been winning.

Kori Ellis
04-18-2005, 09:29 AM
My God, hasn't this been discussed ad nauseum already?

No one forced you to post in this thread. Scroll.

Dex
04-18-2005, 09:29 AM
I bet things with Karl would turn south real quick after a first-round sweep exit. :lol

Kori Ellis
04-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Boykins is their X factor and he's very difficult for the Spurs to guard.

Tony vs Andre Miller is a wash and Bruce will be able to handle Carmelo.

If Camby is healthy, their bigs -- Martin, Camby and Nene won't be easy to contend with.

I think the key to this series is Manu. Manu should be able to dominate any shooting guard that they put on the floor and that matchup should make up for any deficiencies the Spurs have in other spots.

The Nuggets are a very confident team heading into the postseason too -- I'm not sure the Spurs, because of all the injuries, will have confidence or any momentum.

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Denver's stats after the All-Star break are nice. They have nine players averaging at least seven points per game. As a team, they are averaging 106.8 points per game since the break. They are winning games by almost ten points per contest. Their rebounds, steals, blocks and assists numbers are all very high. Their turnovers are low.

They are also shooting over 48% from the field, over 40% from beyond the arc and over 75% from the line.

This is a scary team. They can match the Spurs' size and have more energy players. The Spurs don't have anyone to match Earl Boykins or Eduardo Najera. Plus, playing in Denver -- no matter the sport -- is always tough due to the altitude.

I think the Spurs can win this series but Duncan can't be hobbled and the rest of the bigs have to come ready to play.

Dex
04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
This is a scary team. They can match the Spurs' size and have more energy players. The Spurs don't have anyone to match Earl Boykins or Eduardo Najera. Plus, playing in Denver -- no matter the sport -- is always tough due to the altitude.

Mike Wilks seemed to match up well with Earl Boykins when Pop was tinkering around in the last game. Looked like it had potential.

This may end up being Wilks' saving grace in making the playoff roster. Still seems highly unlikely.

bigzak25
04-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I think the reason the nuggets are doing as well as they are after the break is they have not gotten beat soundly with karl as the coach. I like to see how they respond to their blowout loss the other night. Everything is always rossy with a new coach tell they lose. Melo has been quit because they have been winning.

i like ducks point of view. These nuggets have not had to face adversity. Once they get down to the spurs, and they WILL get down, they will crumble. I think it's a 5 game series barring miracle shots. i'll say key to series is horry.

this is the series i wanted. Champions don't run from the best competition, they beat them. It's a good warmup for dallas or phoenix down the road....

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 10:02 AM

I think the Spurs can win this series but Duncan can't be hobbled and the rest of the bigs have to come ready to play.

No doubt, the Nuggets are scary and their Homecourt advantage is huge.

But I agree, as long as Tim plays well, and Manu or Tony don't choke, Spurs should win in 5 or 6.

101A
04-18-2005, 10:02 AM
It looks like this series is going to happen. Denver will need to win their final two games and Houston or Sacramento would have to lose their final two games to change it.

Looking ahead, what do you think the biggest challenges are? Why are the Nuggets the league's best team since the All-Star break?

Do they scare you?

Discuss.

No. They only have a winning record against a SINGLE WC playoff team - the Grizz. They don't hold tie-breakers against any other.

Their record since the all-star break is impressive, but had the Spurs done the same w/the schedule the Nuggs have had; nobody in here would be all jazzed about it. When Barkely was informed in '93 that the Spurs had the best record since January, before the Suns took the good guys out, he replied, "really, well we've had the best record since November". Simple wisdom in that.

"The hottest team since...." is simply code for "at some point these guys sucked".

Had they not caught the Spurs TWICE during this run w/Tim hurt - they would have at least 1 more "L" since the AS - to go along with the 3 (after tonite) from Phoenix and the Houston stomping.

By the time the series gets back to Denver, the "hottest" team will have lost 4 of 5; let's see if they have enough confidence at that point to avoid the sweep.

boutons
04-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Spurs defense will probably hold. If it doesn't, the Spurs lose, eg, when Denver scored 102 pts vs 84, blowing out the Spurs defense, beating the Spur in FG%, points in paint, RBs, ASTs, FT pts, and FB points.

As I've noted many times, the loss @DEN showed the Spurs absolutely pitiful on both offense AND defense. The tactic "the Spurs defense holds while the offense catches up" almost never works out. When the Spurs can't score (shooting FG% in the 30's, like 32% @DEN), they don't defend, either.

The best thing about this series is that the first 2 games are @SBC, aka HCA. If the Spurs split those games (rendering the Spurs SBC season dominance meaninglesss), they'll be in deep trouble, as a weak road team, playing the next 2 in Denver. My ideal Denver series is going up 2-0, splitting @DEN, and finishing @SBC, 4-1. Resting for the Sonics, who could get pushed to 6 or 7 by the Kings.

Looking at how badly and how the Spurs lost @DEN, it's easy to say what are the keys to the series for the Spurs (and how Denver has been winning under George):

1. Limit FB pts (Spurs did this wonderfully vs Finals 03 Nets)

2. Limit points in the paint

3. Which forces Den to beat us with jump shots.

The Spurs offense? It will take care of itself if the Spurs play their league-best defense. ie, get everybody focusing/aggressive on defense, and the focus will carry over to focus/aggression on offense.

Nothing very Denver-specific there. Just generic Spurs basketball (starting with dominance @SBC), and Denver goes fishing.

spurster
04-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Standard issue.

1. Limit fast breaks by Denver. Force them to score in the half-court.
2. Limit turnovers.
3. Rebound.
4. Get the ball to TD on the low post early and often.
5. Get to Denver the day before Game 3 and run a short practice to acclimate.

timvp
04-18-2005, 10:06 AM
No. They only have a winning record against a SINGLE WC playoff team - the Grizz. They don't hold tie-breakers against any other.

Their record since the all-star break is impressive, but had the Spurs done the same w/the schedule the Nuggs have had; nobody in here would be all jazzed about it. When Barkely was informed in '93 that the Spurs had the best record since January, before the Suns took the good guys out, he replied, "really, well we've had the best record since November". Simple wisdom in that.

"The hottest team since...." is simply code for "at some point these guys sucked".

Had they not caught the Spurs TWICE during this run w/Tim hurt - they would have at least 1 more "L" since the AS - to go along with the 3 (after tonite) from Phoenix and the Houston stomping.

By the time the series gets back to Denver, the "hottest" team will have lost 4 of 5; let's see if they have enough confidence at that point to avoid the sweep.

Nice post. Welcome to the forum.

I agree that if the Spurs win the first two games, the Nuggets will most likely fold if the Spurs come to play in game three.

orhe
04-18-2005, 10:08 AM
the nuggets don't scare me... =)
in the few games i've seen them play the key to their wins was inside presence.
it wasn't really the guard play, nor the fast break (they are kinda connected).
it was their bigs that really mattered.

if we get outrebounded (w/ timmy and nazr prolly not)
if camby dominates our penetration (which he won't because timmy is there)
if they shoot at an insanely high percentage (which is scary)

then we might lose.

Jimcs50
04-18-2005, 10:09 AM
We will be playing Sacto....believe it.

orhe
04-18-2005, 10:11 AM

but the spurs want a tough first round opponent!
to make it kinda exciting...
we don't want sacramento... w/ all their injuries and their crappy defense we'd sweep them

Jimcs50
04-18-2005, 10:15 AM
but the spurs want a tough first round opponent!
to make it kinda exciting...
we don't want sacramento... w/ all their injuries and their crappy defense we'd sweep them

Hell yes they want a sweep.

Brown, Rasho and TD need all the rest and easy games they can get to get ready for the tough matchups later.

No way do they want to have 7 game series in rd 1....they would never make it to Finals if that happened, you can bet on that.

Has a team ever won championship after going 7 games in rd 1?

No.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 10:21 AM

No.

LOL! A little misleading, there. The 7-game first round series hasn't been around long enough to really test that statement.

BUT as much as I'd love for the Spurs to be the first team to do it, I would like for them to SWEEP the Nuggets even more!

timvp
04-18-2005, 10:22 AM

No.

:spin

101A
04-18-2005, 10:29 AM

For that to happen Denver must win tonite in Phoenix. Not gonna happen; as much as I would like it to.

Rummpd
04-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Three words:

Bring em on.

Jimcs50
04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
For that to happen Denver must win tonite in Phoenix. Not gonna happen; as much as I would like it to.

Sacto has to lose at Utah first...otherwise, it is a moot point.

However, if Denver does win in Phoenix after Utah wins, then Phoenix would be in do or die game at Sacto on Tuesday.

If that happens, Spurs win either way...because if Phoenix wins that game, Sacto drops to 7 seed.

If Sacto beats Phoenix, Spurs get 1 seed.

Tonight is the key.

Utah must win.

Go Jazz!!!

Frenchise player
04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Denver is a balanced team with 3 good big men, a good PG and a scoring SF.
I think that their biggest weakness is that they are too reliable on Carmelo if we defend on their big men.
I love that Carmelo-Bowen matchup. Anthony hasn't developed in an All-Star and I can't see him carrying them trough a serie. If he is out, they don't have any leader.
I think that Boykins is going to hurt us but since we are going to control Carmelo, it won't be that bad and we win in 5 games.

BigVee
04-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Camby's health will determine the difficulty of this series. If he plays it will be a very tough series. He blocks everything that comes his way and he hits that 20 footer from the top of the key with regularity. However, he is a little gimpy now and could go down at any moment, as he is prone to. If the Spurs can come out and play their defensive game of the year in game one, they should be okay. If not, could be a long series.

KEDA
04-18-2005, 11:05 AM
ok, everyones point has been made except mine

WHEN IS THE FIRST PLAYOFF GTG?????

bigbendbruisebrother
04-18-2005, 11:25 AM
I agree with Jim. I think the Spurs could use a few more tune-up games with Tim, Nazr and GRob getting more familiar on the floor. It would also buy more healing time for Rasho and Devin, although I think Pop will leave the latter off the roster if he's not ready. Sacto would suit that fine.

I'd like to see an anwer on to Jim's question, "Has a team ever won championship after going 7 games in rd 1?"

Didn't every series in 2003 go 6 games for the Spurs?

Regardless, I think if we pull Denver in Round One, the Spurs will come to play, and I don't think it'll take 7 games. While the game in Denver last month sucked, the Spurs will learn from it. TD, Tony, Manu and Horry will bring winning playoff experience that Denver just doesn't have.

Jimcs50
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
we have only played best of 7 in rd 1 for couple of yrs. but my point was the same....need to dispense of 1st rd opponents quickly.

The LAs, Spurs and the Chicagos always swept 1st round matches almost every time because that means that you are playing great and you get rest.

alamo50
04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
I love this international match-up!
The following foreign countries will be watching all over the world cheering on their fellow countrymen in this 1st round series:

Argentina
Brazil
Dominican Republic
France
Mexico
New Zealand
Slovenia
The Netherlands
U.S. Virgin Islands

For me personaly this will be my first experience watching a fellow countryman playing live in person in the NBA.
Too bad Elson can go and book his flight to Holland in two weeks while I stay a bit longer!

:smokin

timvp
04-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Spurs are just lucky that Luis Flores is on the injured list.

http://www.listin.com.do/antes/febrero04/020204/cuerpos/deporte/images/dEP14.jpg http://www.caribbeanflags.com/images/products/DO/DOJUMFL2.JPG

2centsworth
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Look at the past 6 years. The only team that has been able to beat the spurs is the Lakers. TWO REASONS.

1. JUMP Shooting- Fisher, Horry, Fox, and Kobe hit an amazing amount of threes when they won.

2. SHAQ- SHAQ opened everything up for them, especially for Kobe.

Denver has neither good jump shooitng or a beast underneath. Spurs in 4!

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, technically the Suns did beat the Spurs in 2000. (Tim was injured).

Injuries are the only thing that can stop us now...

Cant_Be_Faded
04-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I people are giving the Nuggets "bigs" too much credit....

Camby is the key here...if we cancel out his defense, we're good. I think his defensive presence is the reason denver has been playing well, as opposed to decent.

Kenyon Martin? Didn't Duncan have 3 consecutive blocks on him in less than 5 seconds in the Finals (one of my favorite duncan moments of all time, and it would have been 4 but the refs bailed Kenyon out). He has fire, but not the skill to hang with us.
I don't know much about the Nene, but in the denver games I have watched, Martin was a bigger factor than him.

I think its all about Camby. Take him out, and we're good. Like an earlier poster said, bowen will do his homework on Caramello, and parker will own andre.

To answer the original question more clearly:

nope.

Spurs košarka kultura
04-18-2005, 03:05 PM
this is the series i wanted. Champions don't run from the best competition, they beat them. It's a good warmup for dallas or phoenix down the road....

Well stated, I believe the Nuggets are a perfect first round foe. They will prepare the Spurs for what will no doubt be a tough and exciting title run.

TNT21
04-18-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't care who they put in our way, the Championship comes through San Antone!!

BELIEVE DAT!!

ducks
04-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Nuggets activate Lenard, put Camby on injured list
The Denver Nuggets activated shooting guard Voshon Lenard, who missed nearly the entire regular season with a torn Achilles' tendon

The team also put defensive star Marcus Camby on the injured list Monday, though he will be eligible for the playoffs that begin this weekend.

Lenard missed 79 games after injuring his left leg in the opening game of the season on Nov. 2. He averaged 14.2 points last season and led the team with 106 3-pointers.

Camby suffered a strained right hamstring against Memphis on Friday and did not play against Houston the following night

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...ov=ap&type=lgns

timvp
04-19-2005, 10:11 AM
If Camby is out, that's a major blow.

CosmicCowboy
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Denver looked absolutely horrible defensively last night without Camby...I realize Phoenix was shooting red hot but the defensive rotations were terrible...they were surrendering wide open look after wide open look...hopefully the Spurs will exploit this as well...

Willinsa
04-19-2005, 04:05 PM
This reminds me of the 2003 playoffs when we played the Suns, I remember many people saying that the Spurs would have problems with the Suns. Also after losing game 1 on a crazy shot, we were almost beaten in game 2 before the spurs woke up and won 4 of the next 5 games. I think like the Phoenix series in 03 this will be a challange for us.

MadDog73
04-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Or it could be like the Grizzlies last year. Where they had swept us in the reg. season, and everyone expected a hard series, (esp after 2003), and we just up and swept them!

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-19-2005, 04:41 PM
I think the Spurs will win this series in six.

Denver will play us gamely through the first four with San Antonio taking games 5 and 6.

rascal
04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
The spurs need Duncan healthy and playing at his best to beat Denver.

This will be a difficult 7 game series. The spurs will not sweep this or even win in 5 . Denver is not going to fold up after playing so well for the 2nd half of the season.

rascal
04-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Or it could be like the Grizzlies last year. Where they had swept us in the reg. season, and everyone expected a hard series, (esp after 2003), and we just up and swept them!

Denver is much better than Memphis was last year. I easily predicted the spurs would sweep Memphis last year.

This series with denver could go either way, it all depends how healthy duncan is. If he has any reoccurance of his ankle injury or if it is bothering his play the spurs will lose.

MadDog73
04-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Denver is much better than Memphis was last year. I easily predicted the spurs would sweep Memphis last year.

This series with denver could go either way, it all depends how healthy duncan is. If he has any reoccurance of his ankle injury or if it is bothering his play the spurs will lose.

Hell, if Camby and Najera aren't 100%, it COULD be as easy.

Not saying it will be easy, just saying a SWEEP is possible.

Geez, I know the Nuggets are good, but come on...

T Park
04-19-2005, 05:03 PM
If Camby is hobbled at ALL, and Najera is out,

Duncan, Mohammed, Horry, and Nesterovic have got to be jazzed.

1 is a pain in the ass defender that can frusterate you to no end, the other is a legit shot blocker who has good offensive skills.

If you can hold back Camby, and Najer aint playing, the series gets 1 HELL of alot easier.