PDA

View Full Version : AI: "I'm not a sixth man"

sabar
11-03-2009, 03:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=291102023

...As ecstatic as Westphal was with his first win with the Kings, Allen Iverson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=366) was as upset after his first game with the Grizzlies. After missing the first three games while recovering from a partial right hamstring tear, Iverson played only briefly as a reserve, scoring 11 points in less than 18 minutes.

He said he had no problems with his hamstring, but had a big problem with the playing time he got from coach Lionel Hollins.

"Go look at my resume and that will show you that I'm not a sixth man," Iverson said. "I don't think it has anything to do with me being selfish. It's just who I am. I don't want to change what gave me all the success that I've had since I've been in this league."...

It begins.

I can't believe some spursfans thought he'd come off the bench for the spurs.

Riverwalkman
11-03-2009, 03:51 AM
:lol On his neck there is a Chinese character "忠", which means loyalty.

cobbler
11-03-2009, 04:03 AM
well... success in a team sport means you have won championships. You can have all the scoring titles and MVP's the world has to offer but success in the NBA is counted in rings... and in that regard AI is a complete loser.

Chieflion
11-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Just a guy the Grizzlies signed to sell some tickets.

Danny.Zhu
11-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Don't know what they agreed upon when signing that contract.

angelbelow
11-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Damn, I didn't expect for it to be so fast.

The Third Man
11-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Do the Grizzlies have *every* selfish player in the league now? Can World B. Free come out of retirement? What a train wreck.

AussieFanKurt
11-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Fuck hes a drone. You cant expect to start first game back from injury in a new team especially when youre on downwards slope

baseline bum
11-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Just cut him. I used to love Iverson, but this childish crap the last few seasons has ruined his legacy in my eyes.

PM5K
11-03-2009, 06:28 AM
I don't know that I disagree with him. He went 5-9 in 18 minutes. If he had gotten the 36 minutes Mike Conley got he probably would have had more than the 13 points Conley did, and Memphis might have had a better chance at winning.

AussieFanKurt
11-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Just cut him. I used to love Iverson, but this childish crap the last few seasons has ruined his legacy in my eyes.

yeah exactly

Mel_13
11-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Just being himself. Should come as no surprise.

Just as it will be no surprise that Memphis will be a pathetic disaster this year. AI (on a one year deal), ZBo, Gay (in a contract year), and Mayo on the same team. Bound to become one of the all-time no chemistry teams.

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2009, 07:18 AM
dunno why they signed him when they dont even need him

they got a good core atm

rudy gay looks like another player thats going to be a bitch, should get rid of him....

rebuild around mayo + marc....

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Just being himself. Should come as no surprise.

Just as it will be no surprise that Memphis will be a pathetic disaster this year. AI (on a one year deal), ZBo, Gay (in a contract year), and Mayo on the same team. Bound to become one of the all-time no chemistry teams.

are the memphis grizz team trying to pry one of the star players in the 2010 fa market like lebron, wade, bosh, amare, boozer....

Mel_13
11-03-2009, 07:36 AM
are the memphis grizz team trying to pry one of the star players in the 2010 fa market like lebron, wade, bosh, amare, boozer....

Takings ZBo's contract means they won't have cap space next summer.

MiamiHeat
11-03-2009, 07:41 AM
he's been a fucking asshat his entire life.

who gives a shit. looking forward to this guy's retirement soon. can't stand him.

"oh im real, look at my tats and cornrows. I aint changin for nobody!!! david stern, u buy me my clothes since u want me to dress nicely. f that, im keepin it real!!!"

fucking moron. get this clown out of the nba already.

timtonymanu
11-03-2009, 08:01 AM
seriously AI. Does he expect to be the franchise player even when he is 38? AI is clearly no longer a franchise player. If he was, the Sixers would have resigned him and let him finish his career as a sixer. But what happened? He stuck with the Grizzlies.

Chieflion
11-03-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't know that I disagree with him. He went 5-9 in 18 minutes. If he had gotten the 36 minutes Mike Conley got he probably would have had more than the 13 points Conley did, and Memphis might have had a better chance at winning.
No way. Michael Conley was the one playing the pick and roll with Marc Gasol and the only guy who would willingly pass the ball to the rest of the Grizzlies.

Indazone
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
practice..we talking about practice!

Chieflion
11-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Bad timing.

DaDakota
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
3 guys scored 20 points for them last night.....AI is a cancer.....he is quickly approaching Marbury status.

Tmac...you better be watching.....

DD

SenorSpur
11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=291102023

It begins.

I can't believe some spursfans thought he'd come off the bench for the spurs.

What took so long. I'm sure no one saw this coming? :lol

Seriously, what is more disconcerting is that, even though there was virtually no market for AI, the Grizz still found a way "buy into" he and his agent's claims that AI would be OK coming off the bench. Yeah, sure. All the Grizz needed to do was contact Joe Dumars. Were they not watching what took place in Detroit last season? How he bellyached when he was relegated to the bench? How he quit on the team once he was no longer pronounced as a starter?

If it weren't for the Clippers, the Grizz would be the Clippers of the NBA.

mingus
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
just cut him. I used to love iverson, but this childish crap the last few seasons has ruined his legacy in my eyes.

+1

The Franchise
11-03-2009, 10:57 AM
3 guys scored 20 points for them last night.....AI is a cancer.....he is quickly approaching Marbury status.

Tmac...you better be watching.....

DD

I totally agree with this statement, and I think that he is.:toast

myhc
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Is it really that shocking that he inserted foot in mouth after just 1 game? This is "we talkin bout practice!!" after all.

NRHector
11-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I think they are more like a development team for the Lakers

picc84
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Gotdamn, the FIRST GAME?? C'mon AI at least wait 'til December before you turn into The Canswer. :lol

Indazone
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Manu is a sixth man. AI just needs to learn to man up and stfu.

Dr Cox
11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
scrub

SenorSpur
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
It's one thing to be young and a dumb-ass, but to be an old dumb-ass, that's a completely different thing.

da_suns_fan
11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I was surprised any team showed interest in AI or this very reason.

picc84
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
It's one thing to be young and a dumb-ass, but to be an old dumb-ass, that's a completely different thing.

Not only does he still have cornrows, but he cut them off last year to appear more mature and then grew them back after the end of the season. :downspin:

bdubya
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
A team with better chemistry would rat-pack him like the Hell's Angels every time he shot his mouth off like this.

boston.balla
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
ai, zbo and the mayo-rudy pair is just a bomb waiting to explode.

Dex
11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
That didn't take long.

Didn't he agree to coming off the bench when they signed him?

Chomag
11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I sence a back injury comming on. You can ask Detroit fans about that one.

SenorSpur
11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Not only does he still have cornrows, but he cut them off last year to appear more mature and then grew them back after the end of the season. :downspin:

Very symbolic of him BSing the public, while he was out of work. Then suddenly, putting on his selfish "coat of armor" once he's working again.

dirk4mvp
11-03-2009, 12:57 PM

That's original and never been done on spurstalk before!

ai, zbo and the mayo-rudy pair is just a bomb waiting to explode.

Sorry brah, but the Gay Mayo arguments looks like it was a lot of false reporting.

duncan228
11-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Grizzlies, Iverson off to rocky start (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmoXRgVCF4MDTNzHRIcbTCm8vLYF?slug=mc-iversongrizzlies110309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

Allen Iverson made his debut with the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday, and it went about as expected.

He spent much of the night on the sideline. And he wasn’t happy about it.

Nor, it seems, was his rear.

“I had a problem with my butt from sitting on the bench so long,” Iverson said. “That’s the only thing I had a problem with.”

Iverson made his first appearance in an NBA game since April 1, and not much had changed in the seven months in between. The Grizzlies brought him off the bench just like the Detroit Pistons tried to do, and Iverson didn’t like it. Not after watching the Grizzlies lose 127-116 in overtime to the lowly Sacramento Kings. Not after he played just 17 minutes – an effective 17 minutes in which he scored 11 points – and not after seeing his new team fall to 1-3 while he sat idly on the sideline.

Upon signing with the Grizzlies this summer, Iverson said he would have no problem coming off the bench – provided he was given a chance to compete for the starting job. That, however, was then. This is now. Iverson is a tremendous competitor and fiercely proud. Not even missing Memphis’ first three games – along with the entire preseason – with a hamstring injury seems to have tempered his distaste for bench work.

After the game, Iverson had no problem stating matter-of-factly and loudly – just so everyone in the locker room could hear, including starting guards Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo, who was seated next to him – that the Grizzlies would need to make a change if they continue to lose.

Specifically, they’d need to start him.

“I’m not a reserve basketball player,” Iverson said. “I’ve never been a reserve all my life and I’m not going to start looking at myself as a reserve. That’s something for the media to talk about. It’s only a big issue when the media talks about it. The subject never came up in my career until everything happened in Detroit. No one talked about me being a sub or anything like that until last year.

“In all the other years of my career, it’s never come up. I’ve been a starter on All-Star teams, Olympic teams and NBA Finals teams. It’s just a big deal now. I think it is something people should let go. To answer your question, no, I’m not a bench player or the sixth man. Go look at my resume, it will show you that I’m not a sixth man.”

For all of Iverson’s accomplishments, however, the Grizzlies were the only team to show any significant interest in him when he became a free agent this summer. They ultimately signed him to a one-year, $3 million contract.

Iverson’s stock dropped, in part, because of his experience with the Pistons – an experiment gone bad. From his arrival into the NBA to the end of his tenure with the Denver Nuggets early last season, Iverson had started 827 of 832 regular-season games. Iverson says the Pistons’ rookie coach, Michael Curry, promised him when he joined the team that he would continue to start. After Curry eventually relegated him to the bench, Iverson openly complained about his reserve role and said he would rather retire. The Pistons, citing Iverson’s back problems, sent him home for the remainder of the season.

Iverson was hoping this season would provide a fresh start. He made his first appearance on Monday with 4:39 left in the first quarter, but took only one shot in the first half and missed. Kings fans heckled him by saying he should retire.

When Iverson returned in the second half, he looked much more like “The Answer” of old. He scored 11 points in the half, even making a key 3-pointer, and didn’t force the action. His cross-over mid-range jump shot looked as pretty as ever.

“I felt like me,” Iverson said. “I’ve been playing basketball for 26 years. It felt like riding a bike. That’s what I do. I’m a professional. I felt like me out there. I haven’t played in a long time, so obviously I had a lot of time to rest. So I wasn’t tired.”

But with the game tied at 94 with 4:49 left in the fourth quarter, Memphis coach Lionel Hollins replaced Iverson with Conley. Iverson was visibly upset while heading to the bench and begrudgingly slapped hands with Hollins. With 1.4 seconds left in regulation and the game still tied, Hollins put Iverson back on the floor.

In the past, Iverson would have been almost certain to take the final shot. Instead, Zach Randolph threw away a bad pass to send the game into OT while Iverson stood alone in the corner, unguarded.

“I went to the bench and told my teammates that I didn’t think they knew I was in the game,” Iverson said. “They didn’t. They didn’t even think I was in the game and that was a bad thing. I was like, ‘Man, I was wide-open.’

“Obviously, [the Kings] didn’t think I was in the game because someone big ended up on me. I guess [the Grizzlies] got used to me sitting so long that I didn’t even get in the game.”

Iverson wanted to clarify that he wouldn’t complain if the Grizzlies were winning. But they didn’t, and they aren’t.

“If we’re winning, I can play 10 minutes and I’m happy,” he said. “When we’re losing, that’s when I trip out.”

Iverson never said whom he should replace in the lineup. And the way Mayo is playing (22.3 points per game), Iverson isn’t likely to get his job. Conley, however, is shooting 41.9 percent while averaging 9.3 points and 6.3 assists.

Hollins downplayed questions about Iverson’s role before the game and was no longer available to reporters when Iverson complained after the loss. Memphis assistant Johnny Davis, who coached Iverson in Philadelphia, said the possibility of a lineup change wasn’t discussed by the coaching staff after the game.

“I do believe Allen will do what he feels is in the best interest of the team,” Davis said. “And I don’t know that one game is a true indicator of anything relating to starting or not starting. But we love having him, I know that. He’s going to be good for our kids.”

The Grizzlies can’t say they’re surprised by Iverson’s complaint. He didn’t like coming off the bench for the veteran-heavy Pistons. Odds were he also wouldn’t like doing it for the young Grizzlies, especially as they struggle. Memphis owner Michael Heisley figured Iverson, at the least, would improve ticket sales. So he signed him, leaving Hollins to manage the hard-nosed guard.

For the Grizzlies, there is a simple choice: Start Iverson; or prepare for the circus to follow them from town to town. Yes, this was just one game, but Iverson has already seen enough.

“It’s not about me being selfish or anything like that,” he said. “It’s just the fact that this is who I am. I don’t want to change what gave me all the success when I came into this league.”

Morg1411
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
If it weren't for the Clippers, the Grizz would be the Clippers of the NBA.

:lol

Allanon
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Although he did it in the wrong way, Iverson is right...he should be the starter or get starter's minutes.

I don't agree with his attitude or his whining, etc. But from a basketball view, there's no way Conley should get more minutes than AI.

The Grizz probably would have won if Iverson was in the game instead of Conley at the end.

Conley still makes too many mistakes and forces too many shots. Even at age 34, AI's a huge upgrade over Conley.

Agloco
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Iverson purposely went to a team he thought he could shoot the ball 20 times and not be held accountable, and it took less that one day for him to act an ass.

+1

That's really the only reason he signed there. It's his first game back and he expects 30+ minutes so he can risk another injury? I guess he's not 34 in his mind.

lol@spurfans who wanted this jerk on the team.

The Franchise
11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
+1

That's really the only reason he signed there. It's his first game back and he expects 30+ minutes so he can risk another injury? I guess he's not 34 in his mind.

lol@spurfans who wanted this jerk on the team.

I thought it was because nobody else wanted him.

Spurs Brazil
11-03-2009, 04:53 PM
AI is really crazy.

Missed the whole preseason and the first 3 games and complained about being a reserve. WTF.

Show something first and then talk

SenorSpur
11-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Upon signing with the Grizzlies this summer, Iverson said he would have no problem coming off the bench – provided he was given a chance to compete for the starting job. That, however, was then. This is now. Iverson is a tremendous competitor and fiercely proud. Not even missing Memphis’ first three games – along with the entire preseason – with a hamstring injury seems to have tempered his distaste for bench work.

After the game, Iverson had no problem stating matter-of-factly and loudly – just so everyone in the locker room could hear, including starting guards Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo, who was seated next to him – that the Grizzlies would need to make a change if they continue to lose.
Didn't know he was also the GM.

“I’m not a reserve basketball player,” Iverson said. “I’ve never been a reserve all my life and I’m not going to start looking at myself as a reserve.

Perhaps AI should start looking at himself as unemployed.

SenorSpur
11-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Although he did it in the wrong way, Iverson is right...he should be the starter or get starter's minutes.

I don't agree with his attitude or his whining, etc. But from a basketball view, there's no way Conley should get more minutes than AI.

The Grizz probably would have won if Iverson was in the game instead of Conley at the end.

Conley still makes too many mistakes and forces too many shots. Even at age 34, AI's a huge upgrade over Conley.

C'mon dude. Let's get this straight. AI's main competition isn't Mike Conley - it's O.J. Mayo. AI IS NOT and point guard. He's a shooting guard. You put the ball in AI's hands and no one else gets shots. He'll pound the rock unmercifully, pile up a lot of points, and the Grizz will still lose games. Not to mention, it'll stunt the development of their young scorers.

Larry Brown found this out when he coached him in Philly. Why do you think he took AI off the ball and give the PG duties over to Eric Snow? AI had his best season, won and MVP and that team went to the Finals.

And as far as who gives the Grizz a better chance to win - obviously it's AI. However, does anyone think the Grizz coaching staff is going to bench Mayo for AI? Especially, after he already consented to come off the bench? Hell no!

Personally, I don't feel a bit sorry for Iverson. He did this to himself. I hope he rots on the bench for the Grizz. If he doesn't like it, he should ask to be cut and wait for another sucker to come along and give him another chance.

dirk4mvp
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
When Iverson came in last night it was for Conley. If AI is trying to cut in Mayo's minutes, he's fighting a losing battle.

Allanon
11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
C'mon dude. Let's get this straight. AI's main competition isn't Mike Conley - it's O.J. Mayo. AI IS NOT and point guard. He's a shooting guard. You put the ball in AI's hands and no one else gets shots. He'll pound the rock unmercifully, pile up a lot of points, and the Grizz will still lose games. Not to mention, it'll stunt the development of their young scorers.

I actually watched the game last night, it was all on Conley. No way AI is taking away Mayo's minutes. Mayo right now is probably a better scorer than AI already.

I don't feel bad for Iverson either; he's in a situation of his own making.

Just from a basketball and winning point of view.

AI last night was far better than Conley. If AI gets the start Conley will suffer, the rest of the team probably won't and the Grizz will win more games. But losing his spot to AI may be exactly what Conley needs ... a dose of humility. AI needs that too but it won't work on him.

Conley's trying to do too much right now to prove he belongs as a starter.

ajh18
11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Does anyone remember back in the day, when Iverson first announced he wasn't a bench player? It was back when he was with Philly, and I think coming off an injury, and the coach wanted him to come off the bench, and he balked. I remember him listing his accomplishments off as evidence of why he wasnt going to come off the bench.

Not long after, Tim Duncan, infinitely more accomplished than AI ever was, came off the bench while coming off an injury. I think he made some comment about doing whatever the coach thought was best (and I THINK he included a little something directed at AI, but that might be my imagination). Either way, it was the most direct rebuke of another NBA player's conduct I've ever seen from TD, and I loved it.

dirk4mvp
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I actually watched the game last night, it was all on Conley. No way AI is taking away Mayo's minutes. Mayo right now is probably a better scorer than AI already.

I don't feel bad for Iverson either; he's in a situation of his own making.

Just from a basketball and winning point of view.

AI last night was far better than Conley. If AI gets the start Conley will suffer, the rest of the team probably won't and the Grizz will win more games. But losing his spot to AI may be exactly what Conley needs ... a dose of humility. AI needs that too but it won't work on him.

Conley's trying to do too much right now to prove he belongs as a starter.

As far as the Grizzlies go, I'd rather Conley start over AI. AI is a lot more potent, but at least Conley has some sort of idea on how to run an offense. And with Mayo, Z-Bo, Gay, and Marc starting, there's barely enough shots to go around.

Allanon
11-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Does anyone remember back in the day, when Iverson first announced he wasn't a bench player? It was back when he was with Philly, and I think coming off an injury, and the coach wanted him to come off the bench, and he balked. I remember him listing his accomplishments off as evidence of why he wasnt going to come off the bench.

Not long after, Tim Duncan, infinitely more accomplished than AI ever was, came off the bench while coming off an injury. I think he made some comment about doing whatever the coach thought was best (and I THINK he included a little something directed at AI, but that might be my imagination). Either way, it was the most direct rebuke of another NBA player's conduct I've ever seen from TD, and I loved it.

I only partly remember this story because I remember Duncan doing it. And I think you may be right, he might have taken a jab at AI but it's been awhile and maybe I'm imagining it as well.

Allanon
11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
As far as the Grizzlies go, I'd rather Conley start over AI. AI is a lot more potent, but at least Conley has some sort of idea on how to run an offense. And with Mayo, Z-Bo, Gay, and Marc starting, there's barely enough shots to go around.

The actual start doesn't matter to me as much as the minutes. Conley is better at running the point. But AI is far more effective than Conley, especially in close game situations. Simply put, Conley blew it last night in the crunch.

If he doesn't start AI, I think Lionel Hollins is going to make a compromise with AI and give him 30 minutes but have him come off the bench. Kinda pleases AI, Conley is happy to not lose his starting gig and the Grizz will win more.

I think the failure last night was Conley playing in the crunch.

quentin_compson
11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
This is just a sad case.

AI is a good player, but at 34, he obviously still hasn't understood the game he plays.

True franchise players like Duncan, Jordan or Shaq are guys you can build a team around. The only time Iverson ever went to the finals was when they put together a team that had to cover his weaknesses back in 2001.

He never understood that you have to sacrifice as an individual to gain team success. It is telling if not surprising that he complains after one (!) single game with the Grizzlies about coming off the bench.

senorglory
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
:lol On his neck there is a Chinese character "忠", which means loyalty.

It might as well say 'irony.'

senorglory
11-03-2009, 10:18 PM

That's not really the problem though. The problem is that he's carping against the coach and the system already, and that his comments appear to have been made to show up his teammates (who may or may not have been freezing AI out during the final seconds of the game).

After the game, Iverson had no problem stating matter-of-factly and loudly – just so everyone in the locker room could hear, including starting guards Mike Conley(notes) and O.J. Mayo(notes), who was seated next to him – that the Grizzlies would need to make a change if they continue to lose. Specifically, they’d need to start him.

With 1.4 seconds left in regulation and the game still tied, Hollins put Iverson back on the floor.

In the past, Iverson would have been almost certain to take the final shot. Instead, Zach Randolph(notes) threw away a bad pass to send the game into OT while Iverson stood alone in the corner, unguarded.

“I went to the bench and told my teammates that I didn’t think they knew I was in the game,” Iverson said. “They didn’t. They didn’t even think I was in the game and that was a bad thing. I was like, ‘Man, I was wide-open.’
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au6l9emONZt2Vr3l_IEE4.e8vLYF?slug=mc-iversongrizzlies110309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
11-04-2009, 12:30 AM
He's following Latrell Sprewell's footsteps.

Memphis will be fun to watch for all the wrong reasons. They'll need like twelve simultaneous basketballs, six footballs, four bats and a couple of pucks to satisfy the shooting desire.

duncan228
11-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Grizzlies owner: Hollins is in charge (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4625243)
ESPN.com news services

Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins has made it clear that Allen Iverson is still coming off the bench, despite the player's complaints about being utilized as a reserve -- and his owner is backing him.

Iverson was unhappy with his non-starting role earlier this week, saying Monday after the Grizzlies lost in Sacramento that he's "not a sixth man," according to The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley made it clear Wednesday, however, that Hollins will make that decision, the newspaper reported.

"Lionel will handle it," Heisley said, according to the report. "This is a situation that'll be handled between Lionel and Allen. What Allen said was inappropriate, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. Allen expressed his frustration about not playing and I understand that."

"It's up to the coach to handle these issues," Heisley added, according to the report.

On Monday, Iverson, who missed the preseason and the start of the regular season because of a hamstring injury, played 18 minutes in a loss to the Kings and made headlines after the game when he complained about his diminished role.

"I had no problems [with the hamstring]. I had a problem with my butt sitting on that bench for so long," Iverson said, according to the Commercial Appeal.

"I'm not a bench player. I'm not a sixth man," he continued. "Look at my résumé and that'll show I'm not a sixth man. I don't think it has anything to do with me being selfish. It's just who I am. I don't want to change what gave me all the success that I've had since I've been in this league. I'm not a sixth man. And that's that."

In Wednesday's 113-105 loss at Golden State, Iverson was again in a reserve role but saw more time, playing 28 minutes. He scored 18 points and passed the 24,000-point mark for his career, becoming the 16th player in NBA history to do so. He scored six of his points in the first half during a 17-0 run that gave Memphis an early lead.

Hollins said Wednesday that Iverson's minutes will increase from game to game, but cautioned that he's still fitting him into the backcourt rotation with Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo. Hollins did not say whether Iverson would start in the future, according to the Commercial Appeal.

"There's no way we're making a change right now," Hollins said, according to the report.

Indazone
11-05-2009, 01:21 PM
You are now AI :lol

760Spursfan
11-05-2009, 01:52 PM

+1

This is what happens when everyone around you keeps telling you
"you da man, caint nobody touch you, look at cho stats...you "the answer"

I think he is lucky that the Grizzles even picked him up because I don't think anyone was interested in him because of his attitude.

Chillen
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Someone needs to tell AI that he is a grown man and he should act like it. That means accepting whatever role your team wants you to have, it's called team loyalty. This guy just doesn't get it.

SenorSpur
11-05-2009, 02:32 PM
If AI keeps up this act, I would expect the Grizz to waive his ass, at some point this season.

duhoh
11-05-2009, 03:47 PM
If AI keeps up this act, I would expect the Grizz to waive his ass, at some point this season.

i hope so. :depressed

Culburn369
11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Just don't waive him before tomorrow evening.