PDA

View Full Version : the "option NOT exercised" team

mountainballer
11-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Ian wasn't the only former 1st round pick, who's team didn't exercise the option for the 2010-2011 season.
I didn't find a list, so I took a quick look at the payrolls. (so I can't guarantee that I didn't miss a player). feel free to add players, if I missed them.

the all not exercised team:

J.Crittenton (19/2007) - Wizards
S.Williams (17/2007) - Nets
A.Tucker (29/2007) - Suns
I.Mahinmi (28/2005) - Spurs
A.Law (11/2007) - Warriors
J. Alexander (8/2008) - Bucks

not sure about JR Giddens (30/2008) from the Celtics. Sham has him listed 2010-2011 at the Celtics payroll, but I didn't read that the Celtics exercised his option.

Alexander was a big surprise. Bucks very quickly gave up on him. they burned a #8 pick in a very good draft year. (passed on about a dozen nice players including Brook Lopez)

I wonder if it wouldn't be a logical thing for this teams to just trade within this list. all are now officially no longer in the plans of the other teams future, but might work for the other team. (not all trades would work straight though)

Mel_13
11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Per Chad Ford, Celts did not exercise the 3rd year option for Giddens. Morris Almond 25/2007 didn't have his 3rd year option exercised last year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10274/the-2006-comeback

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2009, 07:29 AM
tucker, werent the spurs interested in him during draft tryouts, untill suns drafted him b4 us....

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-03-2009, 07:30 AM
You mean J. Crittenton isn't an awesome up and coming future all star and HOF PG, that the Grizzlies absolutely demanded in order to trade Gasol to LAL? Say it ain't so!

Williams, Law and Tucker aren't huge surprises but Alexander is interesting. I think we could do worse than going after him next summer, with a moderate offer, say reminder of the MLE after getting Splitter. He hasn't done much yet, but I've always thought he's talented and will be a solid rotation player down the line.

mountainballer
11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Alexander is in a tough situation.
a #8 pick, who not even can make the 3rd year, has written bust all over him. and now he's injured for about half of the season. and has Warrick, Ilyasova, Mbah and Delfino ahead in the rotation. so, no chance to see the court at all.
he will be happy to get a guaranteed minimum contract next summer. most teams very likely will only offer make good deals.

John Hammond doesn't exactly look like a GM with a plan.
he got the job in April last year and his first trade was Yi and Simmons for Jefferson, who was then traded for virtually nothing to SA.
so the #6 pick 2007 was burned for nothing in return. then he picks Alexander instead of Lopez, Anthony, Lee, Speights etc. and Alexander doesn't even make the 3rd year.
#8 pick 2008 also burned.
I wonder what will happen to Brandon Jennings.......

Mel_13
11-03-2009, 08:48 AM
4th year option declined on:

Oleksiy (Stewie) Pecherov, 18/2006

mountainballer
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
4th year option declined on:

Oleksiy (Stewie) Pecherov, 18/2006

thanks, good find.

update:

J.Crittenton (19/2007) - Wizards
S.Williams (17/2007) - Nets
A.Tucker (29/2007) - Suns
I.Mahinmi (28/2005) - Spurs
A.Law (11/2007) - Warriors
J. Alexander (8/2008) - Bucks
JR Giddens (30/2008) - Celtics
O. Pecherov (18/2006) - Timberwolves

Chieflion
11-03-2009, 09:12 AM
a #8 pick, who not even can make the 3rd year, has written bust all over him. and now he's injured for about half of the season. and has Warrick, Ilyasova, Mbah and Delfino ahead in the rotation. so, no chance to see the court at all.
he will be happy to get a guaranteed minimum contract next summer. most teams very likely will only offer make good deals.

he got the job in April last year and his first trade was Yi and Simmons for Jefferson, who was then traded for virtually nothing to SA.
so the #6 pick 2007 was burned for nothing in return. then he picks Alexander instead of Lopez, Anthony, Lee, Speights etc. and Alexander doesn't even make the 3rd year.
He will be the only one lottery pick that the Bucks chose that is not a bust. The Bucks are probably the best at screwing up their 1st round pick, but somehow strike gold at the 2nd round. See Luc Mbah a Moute and Michael Redd, Ramon Sessions (who was like late 2nd round).

Em-City
11-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Also Randy foye?

Chieflion
11-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Also Randy foye?
Randy Foye's option was picked up, otherwise he would not be on the Wizards.

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I wonder when andrew bogut is going to be traded for peanuts, same with redd who is currently out injured right? another tankn season

wildbill2u
11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I think Alexander was caught in a bad spot. Bmaunte just out played him. I like Joe too. I will be interested in seeing if he is traded for cheap.

Also Shawn Williams is just a beast of a shot blocker. I think he had 12 blocked shots against the toros last year. I would trade Ian for either of those two, but probably Williams because of the Spurs being so packed in the wing spot.

Sean Williams went from playing in 73 games as a rookie to 33 games last year.
07-08NJN732917.50.5380.0000.6091.62.84.40.40.41.50.96 2.605.60

08-09NJN33011.10.4170.0000.6251.01.42.40.40.20.90.612 .202.4
From your post I derive that he was sent down to the minor league. Any injury history there that you know of?

I'm down with trading Ian for Williams. He's 23 and has actually played in he league for some minutes in a lot of games.

Let's try someone who actually might know something about basketball.

Chieflion
11-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Sean Williams went from playing in 73 games as a rookie to 33 games last year.
07-08NJN732917.50.5380.0000.6091.62.84.40.40.41.50.96 2.605.60

08-09NJN33011.10.4170.0000.6251.01.42.40.40.20.90.612 .202.4
From your post I derive that he was sent down to the minor league. Any injury history there that you know of?

I'm down with trading Ian for Williams. He's 23 and has actually played in he league for some minutes in a lot of games.

Let's try someone who actually might know something about basketball.
If you did not know, it was his attitude that got him stuck on the bench.

DesignatedT
11-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Acie Law might be an interesting option for the spurs after this year. He was a solid defender in college and is a well enough shooter to play the combo gaurd.

mookie2001
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Acie Law might be an interesting option for the spurs after this year. He was a solid defender in college and is a well enough shooter to play the combo gaurd.
i dont think he has the overall skill to be an option for the spurs.

exstatic
11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
If you did not know, it was his attitude that got him stuck on the bench.

That. He's a bad actor. I'd say that's the overriding reason his option wasn't exercised.

BWS-1994
11-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah I have heard that he is a bit of a douche. Still sometimes that stuff can be over blown, especially in big markets.

Maybe they mixed him up with Sean Williams, a really big douche.

I thought you were all talking about Sean Williams...?

wildbill2u
11-04-2009, 12:38 AM
That. He's a bad actor. I'd say that's the overriding reason his option wasn't exercised.

I didn't know that, but what the hell, Spurs fans always talke about the Spurs mystique and how it can tame the vilest ego (ref. SJAX).

I guess I'm just tired of IAn, Ian, Ian, on this site when he hasn't done squat and proably never will turn out to be a player.

exstatic
11-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Yeah I have heard that he is a bit of a douche. Still sometimes that stuff can be over blown, especially in big markets.

Maybe they mixed him up with Sean Williams, a really big douche.

There's only one S Williams on the Nets, and that's Sean, the really big douche.

Darkwaters
11-04-2009, 03:29 AM
There's only one S Williams on the Nets, and that's Sean, the really big douche.

Sean Williams?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/John_Edward_awarded_on_South_Park.jpg

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-04-2009, 03:53 AM

Nice analysis. You'd make a better GM than Hammond by the sound of it! :tu

Darkwaters
11-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Most GM's in this league don't really have a long-term plan. They're out there hoping they don't get fired next week and they're backpeddling all along the way.

will_spurs
11-04-2009, 05:43 AM
a #8 pick, who not even can make the 3rd year, has written bust all over him.

Yes but, remember we're talking about the Bucks... them bailing out on a player doesn't really say much.

MI21
11-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Despite the Bucks problems, they will still sweep the Spurs this season, as always.

NFGIII
11-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I think Alexander was caught in a bad spot. Bmaunte just out played him. I like Joe too. I will be interested in seeing if he is traded for cheap.

I agree but I have a question concernig him. Does anyone think he rose too high in that draft due to his performance in the NCAA tournament? I remember him playing very well and hitting key shots.

I thought that he really gave himself a great boost in the draft by his run in March Madness.

Just wondering though.

jdev82
11-04-2009, 04:13 PM

this is my area of expertise, being a bucks fan from milwaukee. heres the thing. skiles is a flip flopping, cant make his mind up coach, unless its about hating players. joe quickly found his way into the doghouse, and it didnt help that he sucked balls and sustained two injuries. as for the hammond/ RJ/ bobby simmons/ Yi situation, there are two reasons. the main one being to save salary for 2010. getting rid of simmons contract and RJs in a year was saving 20 mill. Yi was a diffucult situation. he didnt play any defense. skiles hated him. he was soft. couldnt rebound. and simmons was a 3 pt chucker who played the worst d in the league. what we were trying to do there last year is get away from what the bucks were in the past( a no defense, 3 pt, stupid ass team) as for hammonds plan, seems to me like he put the bucks in salary dump mode for 2010. redd is a big factor there, because he has a player option next year for 18 mil, making it likely that he will be traded for an expiring contract. watch the bucks attract a 2nd tier superstar or two in 2010 in a desparate plea to stay relevant and in the great state of wisconsin. :toast

go spurs,
-jess

mountainballer
11-04-2009, 06:37 PM
this is my area of expertise, being a bucks fan from milwaukee.

believe me, this board isn't an area of expertise despite the number of Spurs fans from SA.

as for the hammond/ RJ/ bobby simmons/ Yi situation, there are two reasons. the main one being to save salary for 2010. getting rid of simmons contract and RJs in a year was saving 20 mill.

wait. they trade away the big contract that expires 2010 (Simmons) and take back a much bigger contract that goes till 2011 (RJ) and then you tell us that the main reason for the moves was to clear cap space for 2010 and that getting rid of both saved 20 million????
so there are at least two people in Milwaukee not really qualified for a GM job.

watch the bucks attract a 2nd tier superstar or two in 2010 in a desparate plea to stay relevant and in the great state of wisconsin. :toast

don't know exactly what superstars are 2nd tier. maybe you think about someone like Amare or J. Johnson. forget it. Bucks will be happy to get a 3rd tier borderline good player. someone like Boozer, if they burn their whole cap space for him. Bucks won't be relevant till they get a #1 pick and somehow run into a real franchise player and not another Bogut. (not sure if they wouldn't have picked Darko over Lebron)

jdev82
11-04-2009, 10:49 PM
believe me, this board isn't an area of expertise despite the number of Spurs fans from SA.

wait. they trade away the big contract that expires 2010 (Simmons) and take back a much bigger contract that goes till 2011 (RJ) and then you tell us that the main reason for the moves was to clear cap space for 2010 and that getting rid of both saved 20 million????
so there are at least two people in Milwaukee not really qualified for a GM job.

don't know exactly what superstars are 2nd tier. maybe you think about someone like Amare or J. Johnson. forget it. Bucks will be happy to get a 3rd tier borderline good player. someone like Boozer, if they burn their whole cap space for him. Bucks won't be relevant till they get a #1 pick and somehow run into a real franchise player and not another Bogut. (not sure if they wouldn't have picked Darko over Lebron) hey fuck you, asshole. boguts still young and the bucks will have like 30 mil free next summer. eat a dick,
-jess

Höfner
11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
hey fuck you, asshole. boguts still young and the bucks will have like 30 mil free next summer. eat a dick,
-jess

LOL that's sig worthy

Mel_13
11-04-2009, 11:09 PM
hey fuck you, asshole. boguts still young and the bucks will have like 30 mil free next summer. eat a dick,
-jess

Obnoxious and wrong, not the best combination.

The only way the Bucks will have much more than the MLE next summer is if they can unload Redd for expiring contracts. Good luck with that.

Even if they could get rid of Redd's contract, they project at much closer to 20M than 30M.

You fail.

draft87
11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
kinda browsed but I didn't see Jordan Farmar on this list.

Rudy Gay.....
actually thought he was a good risk before the Dick Jeff trade. Figured Memphis owed us a nice one after the Gasol gift....

Kori Ellis
11-05-2009, 12:35 AM

The only way the Bucks will have much more than the MLE next summer is if they can unload Redd for expiring contracts. Good luck with that.

Even if they could get rid of Redd's contract, they project at much closer to 20M than 30M.

You fail.

Redd has a player option for 2010-11 and people are saying he's not picking it up. So without his salary, they only have about $30M in committed salary.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Redd has a player option for 2010-11 and people are saying he's not picking it up. So without his salary, they only have about $30M in committed salary.

With a lottery pick and roster requirements, they may have around 20M in cap space if Redd is traded for expirings or decides to exercise his option. There's no way they get anywhere near 30M in cap space.

Blackjack
11-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Hey, Stewie went off against the C's.:lol

DPG21920
11-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Redd has an ETO; why would he terminate that contract early? He is not going to get paid anywhere near that money again. Boy must want to win really bad if that is true.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Redd has an ETO; why would he terminate that contract early? He is not going to get paid anywhere near that money again. Boy must want to win really bad if that is true.

I suppose for long term security, but he'll need several things to go his way. First, he'll need to stay healthy and have a really good season. Everything else is external. What is the cap number next? How many teams will have enough cap space to make it worth his while to leave 18M on the table? Are any of those teams likely to be interested enough in a 31 yr old SG with a recent injury history to offer a multiyear deal?

We'll see, but every NBA expert predicted that Boozer would opt out this year. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh will certainly opt out, others like Redd and Amare are less certain.

mountainballer
11-05-2009, 04:37 AM
I would really really be surprised, if Redd walks away from 18.3 million. he will be 31 next summer. it doesn't make much of a difference if he's 31 or 32, when he negotiates his next contract. he is on the wrong side of 30, so he won't get the 5 years max offers that players of 27 get. very likely his next contract won't be for much more than the 18.3 million, but for 3 years.

-jess

:lmao
yeah, Bogut is still young. gives the Bucks the chance to get 8-10 more years of mediocrity from him. for the big bucks of course.
hey did you check how Paul and Williams are doing lately? hmm, let's see....uups, Paul is averaging 30ppg and 8 apg........Williams: 22ppg and 9apg.........no time to check Bogut, is he already the 20 and 10 player the Bucks would desperately need? don't worry, Andrew Bynum also doesn't exactly...oh wait, Bynum delivers 21 and 9 and he is still really young at 22..........looks as if you picked the wrong Andrew B. back in 2005. epic fail.

and sorry, as others mentioned, you won't have 30 million next year, even if Redd walks out the door. but it wouldn't have made any difference. your team would blow the cap space in a Bobby Simmons type signing anyhow.

jdev82
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM

You fail.:nope

youre retarded. kurt thomas(3.8 mil) is more likely than not gone or retired, the bucks will do anything they can to dump redd(17 mil), ridnours on a 6.5 mil expiring deal, elsons deal (1.5 mil) is up at the end of the year, as are alexanders(2mil) and ukics(1.3). that comes out to over 30 mil of cap space free. next time you feel like talking about something of which you know nothing, you better make damn sure that you know for a fact that the person you're "schooling" knows less than you, or risk looking like a retard again. got any other bush league ass arguments? im from milwaukee. i know my shit.

jdev82
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM

You fail.

also, OWNED BY KORI

eat it.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 02:08 PM
:nope

youre retarded. kurt thomas(3.8 mil) is more likely than not gone or retired, the bucks will do anything they can to dump redd(17 mil), ridnours on a 6.5 mil expiring deal, elsons deal (1.5 mil) is up at the end of the year, as are alexanders(2mil) and ukics(1.3). that comes out to over 30 mil of cap space free. next time you feel like talking about something of which you know nothing, you better make damn sure that you know for a fact that the person you're "schooling" knows less than you, or risk looking like a retard again. got any other bush league ass arguments? im from milwaukee. i know my shit.

Still obnoxious and still wrong.

The bolded part shows how little you know. The value of contracts coming off the books does not equal cap space available. The fact that you think it does proves how little you know about the subject.

Go ahead and try to show us your projected salary cap for next year and compare that to the obligations the Bucks have for next year. Then show a difference of 30M. You won't be able to. Best for you to just go away now.

Oh, people who actually have a point to make are able to do so without personal insults.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-05-2009, 02:13 PM
:nope

You don't know your shit. You just know shit.

jdev82
11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Still obnoxious and still wrong.

The bolded part shows how little you know. The value of contracts coming off the books does not equal cap space available. The fact that you think it does proves how little you know about the subject.

Go ahead and try to show us your projected salary cap for next year and compare that to the obligations the Bucks have for next year. Then show a difference of 30M. You won't be able to. Best for you to just go away now.

Oh, people who actually have a point to make are able to do so without personal insults.
these are the contracts longer than one year. the rest expire at the end of the year. the only reason im not including redd in the list of next years obligations is that the basis of this argument is the assumption that redd will be traded for expiring contracts.
obligations: dan gadzuric: 6.7 mil charlie bell: 3.6 mil brandon jennings: 2.1 luc mbah a moute: 736,000 jodie meeks: 650,000 andrew bogud: 10 mil.

we are only obligated to pay around 23.5 million in payroll next year, given that we give away redd, and dump the expiring contracts to rebuild.
I happen to know that the value of contracts expiring is not the same as salary cap, i was merely going by the assumption that the bucks are willing to go over cap as much as this year. the bucks are 25 million over cap with an 83 million dollar payroll. subtract the obligated salaries, and you get 59.5 in avaliable room, if the bucks are willing to be in the same luxury tax bracket as this year. i may have misspoke, but you mis-thought. fuck you

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
these are the contracts longer than one year. the rest expire at the end of the year. the only reason im not including redd in the list of next years obligations is that the basis of this argument is the assumption that redd will be traded for expiring contracts.
obligations: dan gadzuric: 6.7 mil charlie bell: 3.6 mil brandon jennings: 2.1 luc mbah a moute: 736,000 jodie meeks: 650,000 andrew bogud: 10 mil.

we are only obligated to pay around 23.5 million in payroll next year, given that we give away redd, and dump the expiring contracts to rebuild.
I happen to know that the value of contracts expiring is not the same as salary cap, i was merely going by the assumption that the bucks are willing to go over cap as much as this year. the bucks are 25 million over cap with an 83 million dollar payroll. subtract the obligated salaries, and you get 59.5 in avaliable room, if the bucks are willing to be in the same luxury tax bracket as this year. i may have misspoke, but you mis-thought. fuck you

Ever more obnoxious and ever more wrong.

The Bucks are not lux tax payers this year. Their payroll this year is 68M, not 83M.

Even without Redd and the other expiring contracts, the Bucks still have over 30M obligated next year.

As to your conclusion in the bolded section. :lol

That may be the single most ridiculous summary of a team's cap situation ever posted here, and that's really saying something.

It really is in your best interest to just go away. Further posting on this subject is bound to cause you further embarrassment.

Höfner
11-05-2009, 03:38 PM
This thread delivers.

jdev82
11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Ever more obnoxious and ever more wrong.

The Bucks are not lux tax payers this year. Their payroll this year is 68M, not 83M.

Even without Redd and the other expiring contracts, the Bucks still have over 30M obligated next year.

As to your conclusion in the bolded section. :lol

That may be the single most ridiculous summary of a team's cap situation ever posted here, and that's really saying something.

It really is in your best interest to just go away. Further posting on this subject is bound to cause you further embarrassment.

prove to me its 68 mil faggot

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 06:58 PM
prove to me its 68 mil faggot

:lol

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/bucks.jsp

http://www.storytellerscontracts.com/

http://www.sportscity.com/NBA/Milwaukee-Bucks-Salaries

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2009/08/2009-2010-team-payrolls/

Now just go away.

benefactor
11-05-2009, 07:35 PM

benefactor
11-05-2009, 07:36 PM

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/bucks.jsp

http://www.storytellerscontracts.com/

http://www.sportscity.com/NBA/Milwaukee-Bucks-Salaries

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2009/08/2009-2010-team-payrolls/

Now just go away.
http://www.antville.org/static/oelie/images/bruce%20lee%20animated%20gif.gif

Blackjack
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
:wow

Just..

:wow

:lmao

jdev82
11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
still doesnt prove your point. i worked with an innacurate source, i now see that, but none of the shit you provided here proves what you were saying in the beginning, i.e. that they would be lucky to attract even a borderline good player next offseason. show me your basketball smarts, not just your google searching prowess

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
still doesnt prove your point. i worked with an innacurate source, i now see that, but none of the shit you provided here proves what you were saying in the beginning, i.e. that they would be lucky to attract even a borderline good player next offseason. show me your basketball smarts, not just your google searching prowess

Never said that. Just that you were obnoxious and wrong. That case is closed.

Just move on.

jdev82
11-05-2009, 09:21 PM
you can have your opinion, but decide which one youre arguing about. for real.

benefactor
11-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Perhaps you should polish up up the simple things before you try to get into any sort of advanced basketball debate.

jdev82
11-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Perhaps you should polish up up the simple things before you try to get into any sort of advanced basketball debate.

who asked you asshole?

exstatic
11-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Actually more than your number was wrong. Once you renounce players and trade away contracts and drop below the cap, it becomes a hard cap. You can't just go back up to what this year's payroll is. If you're really at 23.5M, you can only go up to whatever figure the salary cap is for next year. More bad news: you get charged a minimum figure for every empty payroll slot, because you have to fill it.

benefactor
11-05-2009, 10:47 PM
who asked you asshole?
Well played. :tu

jdev82
11-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Actually more than your number was wrong. Once you renounce players and trade away contracts and drop below the cap, it becomes a hard cap. You can't just go back up to what this year's payroll is. If you're really at 23.5M, you can only go up to whatever figure the salary cap is for next year. More bad news: you get charged a minimum figure for every empty payroll slot, because you have to fill it.

haha you know amid all the ownage, i realized theres a lot i dont know about the financial side of the nba. where can i learn more about the hard cap?

jdev82
11-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Well played. :tu

:toast anytime bro