PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs assured a 'tough' foe

Dex
04-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Had New York not traded him to the Spurs almost two months ago, Nazr Mohammed knows how he'd be spending these final few days of the season.

"I'd be making flight arrangements to go home," he said.

Mohammed has at least a couple more weeks before he has to worry about packing for his native Chicago. In the meantime, he and the rest of the Spurs could learn the first leg of their playoff itinerary as soon as tonight.

If Phoenix wins at home against Denver to claim the Western Conference's No. 1 seed, the Spurs will face the Nuggets in the first-round, best-of-seven series.

The only way the Spurs can take the top seed — and homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs — is to win on the road against Memphis tonight and Minnesota on Wednesday and have the Suns lose both their remaining games. Phoenix ends the regular season Wednesday at Sacramento.

The Nuggets will stay slotted at No. 7 unless they beat the Suns tonight and Portland on Tuesday, and either Sacramento or Houston loses both of its remaining games. The Grizzlies locked down the eighth seed Sunday when Seattle beat the Timberwolves.

All of which means the Spurs are still not completely sure whether they will play Denver, Sacramento, Houston or Memphis.

"So far this year, we have problems with all of them," Manu Ginobili said. "Whoever we play is going to be tough."

Regardless of their opponent, the Spurs will feel better about their chances of advancing if Tim Duncan continues to improve. After being sidelined for more than three weeks with a sprained right ankle, he has totaled 28 points and 15 rebounds in 43 minutes during the past two games.

Duncan has played tentative at the start of each game, but become more active in the second half. He has two more games and at least two practices to get loose before the playoffs begin Saturday or Sunday.

"I'll be pretty good," Duncan said. "I think that will be enough time to feel comfortable out there, to get some sort of rhythm going, not only with myself, but also the guys in the rotation."

Coach Gregg Popovich has pretty much abandoned hope of developing a consistent rotation before the playoffs after injuries to Devin Brown and Rasho Nesterovic and the recent signing of Glenn Robinson shook up the roster.

"Whoever we're going to have on the court is going to be part of a group that hasn't been on the court all damn year," Popovich said. "So we just have to go with who's playing well."

Popovich, as he did in Saturday's victory over Memphis, will continue to alternate defenses and call a variety of plays in the final two games to test the team's knowledge and focus — particularly that of its newcomers, Mohammed and Robinson.

"It's a quick-study, training-camp deal," Popovich said. "So when the playoff game comes and we call something, we don't have one of those guys on the court not knowing what's going on."

Robinson also hopes to use the last two games to improve his conditioning. More than half of the Western Conference's playoff teams like to push the tempo, making transition defense all the more important.

"I know I'm going to make shots, I know the offense is going to come," Robinson said. "But I want to be the first one back on defense, hustle when we get a rebound, just get up and down the court. If I can do that, I know my legs are coming."

While the Spurs wait on Robinson's legs, they're also anxious to learn the arrival date and name of their first-round opponent.

"You're excited and, sadly, thinking more about that than today," Ginobili said. "But that's natural. That's our goal. That's what we practice for our whole season, so we can't wait for (the playoffs) to happen."

Rummpd
04-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Glenn Robinson saying all the right things, I am impressed and surely he would like to stick multiple scoring daggers in one George Karl's heart.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Yep, I hadn't heard anyone mention the "hate for Karl" factor.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
"So far this year, we have problems with all of them," Manu Ginobili said. "Whoever we play is going to be tough."

Now maybe some of the homers here will recognize that.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Man, what is wrong with you?

The Lakers and the T-Wolves are out, the Spurs are probably the favorites to win the West, and you're worried about the Nuggets?!?

Yes, it's possible for the Spurs to lose. But, chances are, they won't.

Believe

Gummi
04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I think all of us know that the Nuggets, Rockets, or the Grizzlies are all going to be a tough matchup. There are no easy matchups in the playoffs. Off these three and even Sacramento, I don't care what our oppenent will be. In 2003 playoffs we had to go through Phoenix, the Lakers, and the Mavs to get to the Finals.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Yep, and who here thinks the 2003 team was better than our current one?

The only thing I'm worried about is injuries, and what % Tim will be at by the First Round.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Yep, and who here thinks the 2003 team was better than our current one?

Wow. I think I do.

1. David Robinson was still on the floor with Tim. I'll take a sore backed Admiral over Rasho or Nazr any day.

2. The 2003 team stormed into the playoffs hitting on all cylinders. Jax and Manu at 2 guard, TP and Speedy at point. Steve Kerr coming off the bench.

3. The 2003 team was healthy.

boutons
04-18-2005, 01:56 PM
"2003 team was healthy"

And I clearly remember Pop repeating during the playoffs, paraphrase, "primarily, we've lucky on health". Although he did give away game 82 to Mavs @SBC by sitting Tim and Stephen with, surprise, .... sore ankles.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Wow. I think I do.

1. David Robinson was still on the floor with Tim. I'll take a sore backed Admiral over Rasho or Nazr any day.

2. The 2003 team stormed into the playoffs hitting on all cylinders. Jax and Manu at 2 guard, TP and Speedy at point. Steve Kerr coming off the bench.

3. The 2003 team was healthy.

Obviously, I'm assuming the 2005 team will be healthy by playoff time (of course, Devin won't be, so that sucks).

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this squad turns out.

Of course, David Robinson was crucial. You can't replace him. But our team is deeper now than it was in 2003 (no Steve Smith taking up bench space).

bigbendbruisebrother
04-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Obviously, I'm assuming the 2005 team will be healthy by playoff time (of course, Devin won't be, so that sucks).

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this squad turns out.

Of course, David Robinson was crucial. You can't replace him. But our team is deeper now than it was in 2003 (no Steve Smith taking up bench space).

I don't mean to nitpick with you MadDog73, but I don't think there is any way our team will be healthy by next week. Tim and Rasho will be playing, but they won't be 100%. And I disagree too that we're deeper from a quality standpoint. The guys on the bench in 2003 were all very well aware of the system. Nazr and Glenn Robinson are working their butts off to get up to speed, but they've got a ways to go.

I'm not saying that winning the championship isn't possible. I'm just saying that we're going into the playoffs in a weaker state compared to 2003.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Eh, I might have to agree with you. I spoke too hastily, it seems.

Do you think the competition is tougher this year, too?

If so, that's not a good combination, considering it took us 6 games to beat anybody in 2003....

bigbendbruisebrother
04-19-2005, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=MadDog73]
Do you think the competition is tougher this year, too?
[\QUOTE]

I think that there are a lot more teams that play solid defense than in 2003.

Check out http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/.

The one major change since then of course is no SHAQ.

All in all, I think the competition is certainly more even. With the exception of Sacramento and Memphis, every team will give the Spurs problems in a playoff setting.

If the Spurs can get tuned up however, I like our chances as I think SA has the most balanced game of any team, and the SBC center has been murder for everyone in the NBA this season. The Spurs will have home court advantage throughout unless they meet up with Phoenix. The Spurs have already proven that they can win there.

The biggest challenges are going to be integrating the new players and getting healthier.