PDA

View Full Version : Chili Bowl - no mas

JudynTX
11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
:(

SAN ANTONIO – The city’s oldest football tradition is coming to an end. San Antonio ISD officials confirmed to News 4 WOAI sports director Don Harris on Tuesday afternoon that Friday night will be the 67th and final “Chili Bowl.”

SAISD has recommended to the school board that Fox Tech become a health careers and law magnet school.

The football program will disband at the end of this season, ending the 67-year rivalry with Lanier and a great San Antonio ritual.

News 4 WOAI Sports has also learned that the new health careers and law magnet school will begin with freshmen next year, while the sophomores, juniors, and seniors will remain a normal high school.

It will then add sophomores the following year, and so on. It will be health careers and a magnet school in four years.

The final football season will be 2009. All other sports will continue for at least two years, and the SAISD board is expected to approve this on Nov. 16.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/highschool/story/Chili-Bowl-loses-steam-as-tradition-is-set-to-end/X22DE9pWUUubC6by-Ty36Q.cspx

spursfan09
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
What the crap?

spursfan09
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
There's always the Tommy Bowl

samikeyp
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Wow...that sucks. That was a huge deal for those two communities. Where will next years returning players get to play?

pkbpkb81
11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
the guys from stsa are going to the game

PM5K
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
0h n0es, the Guchi Bowl is next!

SA210
11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
trash

Destro
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
A lAw magnet school, thats stupid. Being that law degrees aren't earned till after you graduate from college how do they plan to prep these kids? Maybe they focus on law clerk and law front desk staff?

ploto
11-04-2009, 12:38 AM
A lAw magnet school, thats stupid. Being that law degrees aren't earned till after you graduate from college how do they plan to prep these kids? Maybe they focus on law clerk and law front desk staff?

Health Careers High School has been doing it just fine for decades. Not everything related to law is being an attorney, just like not every health career is being an MD.

Jekka
11-04-2009, 01:28 AM

Houston has separate magnet high schools for health professions, engineering, and the arts, and not everyone ends up in a related career. I went to the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts there and I'm going to be a librarian. One of my good friends from painting and ceramics classes is in a medical PhD program for neurobiology, another is teaching English in Mexico, and another is a software engineer.

You can't be expected to commit to a single course of study at that age, but what it does do is teach you how to specialize, which I think does kids a big favor for when they get to college. It also gives students an edge with in depth practical knowledge on at least one subject.

JudynTX
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
0h n0es, the Guchi Bowl is next!

Probably

Houston has separate magnet high schools for health professions, engineering, and the arts, and not everyone ends up in a related career. I went to the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts there and I'm going to be a librarian. One of my good friends from painting and ceramics classes is in a medical PhD program for neurobiology, another is teaching English in Mexico, and another is a software engineer.

You can't be expected to commit to a single course of study at that age, but what it does do is teach you how to specialize, which I think does kids a big favor for when they get to college. It also gives students an edge with in depth practical knowledge on at least one subject.

Well said Jekka. :toast

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2009, 09:28 AM
What is ridiculous is them struggling to "find a use" for the Fox Tech campus. That is probably a 15 acre block of property right in the middle of downtown ONE block from the Riverwalk. The property is worth tens of millions of dollars and if they allowed it to go to a "higher use" mixed use residential/commercial it could revitalize downtown and dramatically increase the tax base. Having that big of a block of property in an urban downtown ready for a master planned re-development is virtually unheard of. They can put the fucking magnet school anywhere.

MannyIsGod
11-04-2009, 09:32 AM
:lol

Yeah that land is SUPER valuable. Thats why all the buildings around it are being torn down by developers.

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2009, 09:37 AM
:lol

Yeah that land is SUPER valuable. Thats why all the buildings around it are being torn down by developers.

Now THAT was a stupid comment. Think about it. If they are willing to buy the property AND the existing building AND spend the money to TEAR DOWN the existing building that TELLS you the property is valuable.

BTW, I own property very near there and turned down an offer last year for $18 a square foot. I might know a little more about property values in that areas than you do.