PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Pop to Spurs: Leave bats to the pros

duncan228
11-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Pop to Spurs: Leave bats to the pros (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Pop_to_Spurs_Leave_bats_to_the_pros.html)
Jeff McDonald

In the aftermath of the Manu Ginobili bat incident, there will be no official change to the Spurs' team policy when it comes to the removal of wild animals from the AT&T Center.

Just the same, coach Gregg Popovich says, in the future, he would prefer his players leave that job to professionals.

“Animals are animals,” Popovich said before practice Tuesday. “You always have to be a little bit wary about what's going on.”

Faced with the second of two bat delays during Saturday's win over Sacramento, Ginobili disposed of the flying animal with his bare hands.

“I think it happened so quickly, Manu didn't think about it,” Popovich said. “If he'd had more time, he probably would have thought about it, or one of us would have yelled, “No, don't touch that thing!”

Because the bat could not be located after its ejection from the premises, doctors administered Ginobili a battery of rabies vaccinations. Over the course of the next month, he is expected to receive four more sessions of shots.

The injections can come with side effects, though at this point Ginobili's status for Thursday's game at Utah is not affected.

“He's a little sore right now, but better safe than sorry,” Popovich said. “Some people develop a fever and don't feel great for a while. But so far, so good. Just sore.”

Clock adjustment: Tuesday's practice marked the Spurs' fourth since switching to a new afternoon workout schedule. Slowly, but surely, players are beginning to adjust.

“It was odd the first day,” guard Roger Mason Jr. said. “I think we're starting to get adjusted to it. You're definitely more live, body-wise.”

The one adjustment Mason has not yet been able to make? What to do with his mornings off.

“I'm still waking up at 7:45 in the morning,” he said. “I've got to get adjusted to sleeping in a little bit.”

Kori Ellis
11-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Am I the only one that is sick of this bat story? :lol

I thought Manu initially doing it was awesome, but knew the rabies thing would come up.

But at this point, it's absolutely ridiculous how much they just keep writing about it. I guess it came at the wrong time with the Spurs having so many days off.

timvp
11-04-2009, 02:10 AM

Probably doesn't help that I mention it about once an hour :smokin

Bukefal
11-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Yeah, it's getting annoying damn. STOP the bat stories, jeeezzz!

Blackjack
11-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Sick of the story?

Yes and no.

I admit it's getting old real quick, but I just can't get over the fact that it actually happened; what kind of over/under is there before an NBA season for a bat assault?:lol

The Truth #6
11-04-2009, 02:18 AM
For rabies, don't you get around 12 injections into the abdomen?

mVp
11-04-2009, 02:25 AM

I guess it'll pass eventually... until something even more bizarre turns out :lol

timvp
11-04-2009, 02:34 AM
Knocking it out of midair.

On his first try.

On Halloween.

Ish is crazy.

Never old.

:drunk

EricB
11-04-2009, 02:44 AM
3 games in, nothing much to report on.

Perfect storm.

Blackjack
11-04-2009, 02:48 AM
Somebody help me out..

I'm not crazy in remembering there being another bat at the AT&T Center, am I?

I could've sworn this was the second or third time there's been one that got in..

timvp
11-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Somebody help me out..

I'm not crazy in remembering there being another bat at the AT&T Center, am I?

I could've sworn this was the second or third time there's been one that got in..

Yeah, there have been bat incidents about once per year. Usually though the bat doesn't continue to interrupt play. Most of the time it just bothers the fans for a bit and then retreats.

Blackjack
11-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Yeah, there have been bat incidents about once per year. Usually though the bat doesn't continue to interrupt play. Most of the time it just bothers the fans for a bit and then retreats.

I thought so.

It just seems like everyone covering it was completely ignorant to the fact and only giving credence to the notion that somehow it was the doing of a fan.

I couldn't remember how the bats were dealt with last time, but apparently they got too comfortable and/or cocky for Manu's taste.:hat

naico
11-04-2009, 07:22 AM

I thought Manu initially doing it was awesome, but knew the rabies thing would come up.

But at this point, it's absolutely ridiculous how much they just keep writing about it. I guess it came at the wrong time with the Spurs having so many days off.

Quiz question: how many articles has McDonald written about the bat?

Whisky Dog
11-04-2009, 07:53 AM
With a game tomorrow today should be the last day of batmania.

SA210
11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Knocking it out of midair.

On his first try.

On Halloween.

Ish is crazy.

Never old.

:drunk

Mel_13
11-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Quiz question: how many articles has McDonald written about the bat?

Well, it's not as if he has some kind of special access to the players and staff and could tell us something about the team we don't already know.

Death In June
11-04-2009, 10:28 AM
How much information could you possibly want from the bat story? What sort of perspective are you gaining from McDonald's access?

Höfner
11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Damn bats and their rabies.

SpursFanATL
11-04-2009, 10:36 AM
With a game tomorrow today should be the last day of batmania.

Exactly.

And on a side note. This layoff is ridiculous. This feels like the All Star break without an All Star game.

It will be like starting the season all over again.

Oh well, tomorrow night there will be Spurs basketball again. It will be interesting to see how we do, given all the time off and the extra practices that the new guys have had. I'm ready to see some more from McDyess.

hater
11-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Just the same, coach Gregg Popovich says, in the future, he would prefer his players leave that job to professionals.

“Animals are animals,”

So players are not allowed to give fans high fives anymore? humans could have more contagious diseases than animals

Höfner
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
So players are not allowed to give fans high fives anymore? humans could have more contagious diseases than animals

I don't think rabies is one of them. :wakeup

Samr
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM

They should have just left it alone after the first day. The PETA response was awesome, but that pretty much should have been the end of it.

Dex
11-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Probably doesn't help that I mention it about once an hour :smokin

:lol No wonder Kori is sick of it already.

3:17 AM....LJ rolls over in bed, and whispers...

"Psst....Kori.....Remember that time Manu went Chuck Norris on that bat?"

manubili
11-04-2009, 11:05 AM

A few days before the bat incident you were saying that Manu had the "vampire look". Remember? You start it!

Galileo
11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Imma rabid Spurs fan!

Spursmania
11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/%7Enhi708/classify/animalia/chordata/mammalia/chiroptera/bat.jpg Family Pteropodidae
Old World fruit bats and flying foxes: 130 species
Members of this family, found in the tropics and sub-tropics, have short, rudimentary tails and generally a claw on the second as well as the first finger. By day they hang in trees, emerging at night to forage for food. http://www.abdn.ac.uk/%7Enhi708/classify/animalia/chordata/mammalia/chiroptera/fruit.jpg
Just thought I'd add to the ridiculous and excessive Manu/bat coverage.