PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Bryant, Artest daunting pair for Lakers

duncan228
11-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Bryant, Artest daunting pair for Lakers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Bryant_Artest_daunting_pair_for_Lakers.html)
Mike Monroe

OKLAHOMA CITY — His back ached, and his throat was sore, but as he trudged off to a hot shower after the Lakers' overtime road victory over the Thunder on Tuesday night, Kobe Bryant turned and offered some advice to the Spurs' Manu Ginobili.

“If he sees another bat flying around the arena,” he said, “he needs to swat that one out of the air, just like last time.”

Those rabies shots Ginobili now must endure were the price of sending a message to anyone, or anything, posing a threat to the game.

“We're trying to play basketball out there,” Bryant said. “You just can't let anything interrupt that.”

Not even a high fever that temporarily triggered swine flu fears kept Bryant from playing 46 minutes and scoring 31 points. He spent Tuesday in bed, wondering if he was the latest victim of the H1N1 virus. Then he torched the Thunder.

Told he wouldn't play unless his fever dropped — “because of everything going on with H1N1,” he said — Bryant seemingly willed his body temperature to acceptable level.

Before a big game against the Cavaliers in Cleveland in February, he was throwing up and needed intravenous fluids at halftime. Then he scored 19 points, and the Lakers sent a message.

Cleveland's LeBron James could have the 2009 MVP Award. Bryant was after his fourth championship ring.

The 2009-10 Lakers remain the best team in the NBA because Bryant rises to every challenge, no matter how he feels, and because they improved, just like their pursuers.

Was the return of a healthy Ginobili and the addition of Richard Jefferson more significant for the Spurs than the return of a healthy Andrew Bynum and the addition of Ron Artest?

There is a potential for disruption with Artest, of course, but Lakers coach Phil Jackson once corralled Dennis Rodman's petulance.

The early returns on Artest are frightening for the NBA's title contenders. He is playing a team game, picking up the triangle offense and deferring, when appropriate, to Bryant.

Defensively, he remains an intimidating presence, capable of making Kevin Durant look too frightened to call for the ball.

“He's finding his way,” Jackson said. “The rhythm of the offense, and finding shots when he gets into that position, are still a mystery to him. He seems to fit in well otherwise, passing the ball, and he seems to know the movements. Sometimes, instinctively, they're not quite there yet.”

Occasionally, Artest's instinct is rage. After he missed a shot in the fourth quarter on Tuesday, he slammed his right fist on the padded baseline press table and screamed, “Let's go.”

The blow left a large, indentation on the tabletop. Had it not been thickly padded, he may have broken a few bones.

Bryant put an arm around him and walked him away from whatever was troubling him, whispering encouragement. A bond appears to be forming, and that should scare other contenders, too.

If the Lakers have shown an early weakness, it's the bench, entirely ineffective in Oklahoma.

Of course, the reserves who last season called themselves the “bench mob” are shorthanded. Lamar Odom is starting while Pau Gasol nurses a hamstring injury.

With Gasol back, the Lakers will be scarier than a Halloween bat.

MmP
11-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Stop with the bat already.

DieMrBond
11-05-2009, 12:09 AM
That was a horrible mess of an article... it just did not flow well at all.

draft87
11-05-2009, 01:11 AM
His back ached, and his throat was sore, but as he trudged off to a hot shower with Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant turned and offered some advice to the Spurs' Manu Ginobili-

"I'd rather play with rabid bats than gargle RonRon's BonBons. This was a big mistake. I thought I had what it took to give everything for another ring. Instead, I find myself taking off my wedding ring after every game right before I pay my dues to Artesticles for saving my ass on defense. All along it was my ass that should have been defended. Manu- Timmy and Tony don't do this to you, right? Bowen didn't ever do any crazy shit like this except dropkick bitches on the 3pt line, right? Why do I let Ron put his dong up my, I MEAN, Why do I put up with this shit? Ron tells me he's gonna shave 기생 on my head next game. I don't even want to think about what that means in geisha-talk. Herp, Prease!"

Indazone
11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
WTF does Artest have to do with Manu and a bat? Then he works Kobe in there too. This article sucked balls.

Fabbs
11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
WTF does Artest have to do with Manu and a bat? Then he works Kobe in there too. This article sucked balls.
+1 remove from Spurs section ASAP.

Spur|n|Austin
11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
+1 remove from spurs section asap.

+2

wildbill2u
11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I watched Houston v. Lakers last night. Remember that Yao and T-Mac are out. Lakers were lucky to leave with an 1 pt. overtime win. Houston acutally out-rebounded them.

They are loaded with talent but teams are playing them hard and close. Maybe the refs aren't leaning their way so much--at tleast this early inthe season. :ihit

dbestpro
11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
When i use to run with payers back in the 80s the flu was the catch all phrase for being hungover. It more than likely still is.

boutons_deux
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Mike Monroe covers the Lakers when they are NOT playing the Spurs?

Rummpd
11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Lakers have looked pretty average so far granted without Gasol despite Kobe scoring a lot - they have a soft schedule and the only decent team they played hammered them. They may be real strong again in the end but still not convinced Artest is an upgrade as Parker will run circles around that team now.

nkdlunch
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
so OT with OKC and Houston merits an article from a Spurs writer????

great article :rolleyes

at least write on the Celtics who are the only ones kicking ass so far