PDA

View Full Version : Malik Hairston is to stay?

Riverwalkman
11-05-2009, 09:18 AM
After November 3rd Spurs started to pay him money beyond his non-guaranteed part. Now is November 4th and Spurs did not cut him. Is that to say he is safe now?

Some people believed Ian Mahinmi and Hairston would play in back to back games, which is their value on this team who has a deep rotation, but the 2nd game vs. Bulls they still sit on the bench through out the game. The fact is Hairston did not get any playing time during last 3 games. But Spurs did not cut him in spite of the extra payment. What do you think would happen to Hairston?

MaNu4Tres
11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
What is your question?

Riverwalkman
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
What is your question?
Whatever, or none.

SamoanTD
11-05-2009, 10:30 AM
I beileve hairston will get some PT bt down the road he knows the system and he can jump in and be effective at anytime. I think Ian maybe if one of our other bigs go down he will come up but other than that I dnt think he will get much PT.

TJastal
11-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Hairston may have a roll next year as the Spurs will likely let Mason walk. This year unless he starts outplaying Bogans in practice he will never dawn a spurs uni this year.

Ian could get moved for a future pick. I look for the spurs to get him some burn to showcase him for other teams. If they dont play him they may be hiding him in hopes of resigning him on the cheap next year.

You think the spurs are letting Mason walk? Oh, well ... that actually makes sense if Pop gives Finley a new 5 year contract to finish his career. Can never get too much Finley if your Pop.

dbestpro
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Malik remains a Spur as of today. Tomorrow may be different. You need to take your Malik one day at a time.

SenorSpur
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
You think the spurs are letting Mason walk? Oh, well ... that actually makes sense if Pop gives Finley a new 5 year contract to finish his career. Can never get too much Finley if your Pop.

I thought the same damn thing. Why the fuck would they simply let Mason walk when Finley is on his last leg?

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
While the OP may have used some awkward phrasing, he brings up an interesting question. If everything we thought we knew about Malik's contract situation is true, specifically that the Spurs are now incurring costs beyond the 50K guarantee, what does that say about Malik's future with the Spurs?

I'd like to believe that it means that the Spurs have decided that Malik has a future with the team beyond this season. With Manu, Mason, Finley, and Bogans all in the last year of their contracts, the Spurs may have decided that it is worth the extra expense this year to be guaranteed a cheap wing player for next year.

To speculate even further. Perhaps the plan is to send him to Austin and let him play 40 minutes a night while they evaluate Bogans. Bogans and Haislip can be traded after Dec 15th while Malik's contract will not be fully guaranteed until Jan 10th. Maybe that is the critical window. Can the Spurs identify a trade partner for Bogans, Haislip, or Ian that can reduce current expenses enough to keep Malik?

UnWantedTheory
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Shit,...Whats the roster going to look like next year? We can never worry to early....

SpurNation
11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
:tu Mel_13 post.

thOOdee
11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
mailik hairston is to stay as dog is to cat

Interrohater
11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
mailik hairston is to stay as dog is to cat

LOL! :lmao

You caught me off guard with that one and I actually lol'd

ChumpDumper
11-05-2009, 03:33 PM
We might get an idea of the Spurs' plans with Hairston from tonight's D-League draft. If the Toros draft someone who will fill the same role as Malik, it could be that the Spurs don't plan on assigning him. The other big hole on the roster is at PF. There are a couple of intriguing young prospects at that position according to draftexpress.

My guess is he will be assigned regardless.

Spurlady
11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
[quote=Texas 2 Step;3803687]This year unless he starts outplaying Bogans in practice he will never dawn a spurs uni this year.

quote]
Malik has already outplayed Bogans in the pre-season and I would guess at practice as well. I'm not sure why Bogans isn't sitting in a suit while Malik is playing. Does anyone know?

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2009, 07:13 PM
[quote=Texas 2 Step;3803687]This year unless he starts outplaying Bogans in practice he will never dawn a spurs uni this year.[quote]

Malik has already outplayed Bogans in the pre-season and I would guess at practice as well. I'm not sure why Bogans isn't sitting in a suit while Malik is playing. Does anyone know?

bad timing, experience, and D-league eligibility..

exstatic
11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I'd be real surprised if the Spurs paid $1.6M for Malik to either play for the Toros or sit in a suit. They may just be waiting for Tim and Manu to be fully game ready before they cut him, keeping him for insurance in case of injury. In the short term, he's a cheap insurance keep.

Blackjack
11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
We might get an idea of the Spurs' plans with Hairston from tonight's D-League draft. If the Toros draft someone who will fill the same role as Malik, it could be that the Spurs don't plan on assigning him.

Alonzo Gee with the 6th pick.

Edit - Should have read Chump's post first. :lol

iilluzioN
11-05-2009, 08:14 PM
What is your question?

do you know how to fucking read?

ass...

ChumpDumper
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Alonzo Gee with the 6th pick.

Edit - Should have read Chump's post first. :lolInteresting. They chose guards with their first four picks. Either the Toros are satisfied with running guys like Justin Bowen and Ryan Bright at PF (which they could get away with -- even Gee could conceivably play there) or they have some trade in the works.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Interesting. They chose guards with their first four picks. Either the Toros are satisfied with running guys like Justin Bowen and Ryan Bright at PF (which they could get away with -- even Gee could conceivably play there) or they have some trade in the works.

Question for the resident D-League expert.

The last word on James Gist was that he was not going to Spurs training camp but that the Spurs would retain his rights. There has been no news since of any overseas signing.

Can he play in the D-League while the Spurs retain their rights?

This sort of arrangement for low second round picks would seem to make sense for both parties, but I'm not aware of any previous case where a team retained rights to a D-League player without signing him to an NBA contract.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure how that would work for Gist. I can only think of one pick that played in the D-League while his rights were retained by an NBA club, but that was a screwy deal since he was a returning player from a CBA team that had just joined the D-League.

It's annoying that the D-League's signing rules aren't readily available. I could dream up a scenario where Gist makes himself available in the D-League player pool at the very moment the Toros move into first position on the player allocation list. I don't know if it is possible with an actual draft pick, but it's apparent the Toros have done that kind of thing before.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure how that would work for Gist. I can only think of one pick that played in the D-League while his rights were retained by an NBA club, but that was a screwy deal since he was a returning player from a CBA team that had just joined the D-League.

It's annoying that the D-League's signing rules aren't readily available. I could dream up a scenario where Gist makes himself available in the D-League player pool at the very moment the Toros move into first position on the player allocation list. I don't know if it is possible with an actual draft pick, but it's apparent the Toros have done that kind of thing before.

Thanks, it will be interesting to see where he winds up. Just seems a little strange that he hasn't signed somewhere after having a decent first season in Italy. McClinton was able to get a gig even after spending time in an NBA training camp.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I just noted in another thread that the Toros finally got around to picking a PF in the sixth round, but he is actually a very good D-League vet.

HarlemHeat37
11-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Ohhhhhh it must suck for Hairston to watch some guy named Wesley Matthews dominating against the Spurs..well, it sucks for me at least..