PDA

View Full Version : Spurs have too much time on their hands

bobby4germany
11-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Spurs have too much time on their hands

http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-Antonio-Spurs-Examiner~y2009m11d5-Spurs-have-too-much-time-on-their-hands (http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-Antonio-Spurs-Examiner%7Ey2009m11d5-Spurs-have-too-much-time-on-their-hands)

San Antonio is set to begin their second back-to-back set of games this season with a visit to Utah and Portland starting today. Both nationally televised games, TNT and ESPN respectively, the Spurs will have had four days between games after their home thumping of Sacramento on Saturday.

Only three games into the 82-game schedule, head coach Gregg Popovich wasn’t too excited about having so many days off this early in the season.
“The time you don’t want those breaks is now,” Popovich told reporters at practice on Tuesday. “You want to have them in March, in April.”
Through Wednesday, only Golden State and Milwaukee had played as few games as the Spurs (2-1). In addition, San Antonio’s two home blowout wins have minimized the minutes of veteran All-Stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili.
“At least we have practice time.”
Spoken like a true coach.

The Bat Man
With over 1.5 million You Tube hits alone, Manu Ginobili’s legend grew with his Halloween night bat encounter.
“When you can’t dunk anymore, you got to find some way to make it to the news,” Ginobili joked after the game.
Things weren’t so funny, however, when the bat could not be found after the game and no rabies tests could be conducted. Manu is now facing a month-long session of shots for preventative treatment.
“He’s a little sore right now, but better safe than sorry,” Popovich said.
Unless he’s a fan of needles, my guess is Manu is feeling sorry, too.

Eating Crow
While San Antonio declined to pick up the club option on Ian Mahinmi’s rookie deal, the club didn’t hesitate to decide on George Hill. The second year guard out of IUPUI is seeing an expansion of his role and an extension to his contract.
Hill is ninth on the team in minutes played but fourth in field goals attempted and is averaging nearly 12 points off the bench.
Most notably, however, has been Hill’s defense through the first three games. Hill seemed to bother both Chris Paul and Derrick Rose with his quickness and wingspan. His four steals are tied for tops on the team and his three blocks trails only Tim Duncan and Theo Ratliff, who have four apiece.
Hill’s improvement and confidence from year one to year two has this reporter rethinking an earlier assessment.
Based purely on watching the 2007-08 college basketball season, my target was Chris Douglas-Roberts. If Derrick Rose was good enough to be the first overall selection in the 2008 Draft, there was no way CDR should have slipped to the tenth pick of the second round.
I also liked Dallas native Darrell Arthur and Texas A&M center DeAndre Jordan. Both would have brought youth, size, and athleticism to a frontcourt devoid of it.
Point guard? Wasn’t that the team’s youngest, most durable talent?
And wasn’t Mario Chalmers, fresh off helping Kansas win the National Championship, a real one?
Don’t get me wrong, I still think I’m right. Those kids can play and will contribute in the NBA.
But George Hill is beginning to flash some special talent, especially on defense where he is far superior to Tony Parker. His shooting stroke looks smooth and only Richard Jefferson rivals Hill in explosiveness among Spurs who have seen action this year.
I will always measure Hill’s career with the four mentioned previously, and I’m certainly not calling for him to replace Parker, but right now, Hill is looking and playing just fine in a Spurs’ uniform.

Miller Time
During the Los Angeles Lakers’ season opening victory over the cross-town rival Clippers, TNT analyst and former NBA star Reggie Miller declared the Lakers would go 20-1 in their first 21 games.
How’s that going, you ask?
The Lakers proceeded to drop a 94-80 decision to the visiting Mavericks three nights later and have been taken to overtime in their last two contests, at Oklahoma City and at Houston.
However, Miller isn’t wrong yet. Needing to win 19 straight after the Dallas loss, the Lakers (4-1) have reeled off three wins in a row.

bigfan
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I always enjoy reading the enemies impressions of our team. Thanks for posting.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 10:06 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-Antonio-Spurs-Examiner~y2009m11d5-Spurs-have-too-much-time-on-their-hands (http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-Antonio-Spurs-Examiner%7Ey2009m11d5-Spurs-have-too-much-time-on-their-hands)

Don’t get me wrong, I still think I’m right.

:lol

TJastal
11-05-2009, 11:03 AM
To me, George Hill looks even more lightning fast this year, with an explosiveness that is off the charts.

With this kid's development and potential growing bigger by the day, maybe its time to start thinking of a Tony Parker trade?

I know that idea is not going to met by much approval, but it does two things... propels Hill into a starting job and probably brings in a whale of new talent in trade.

Parker's trade value is probably at its peak right now. The spurs could potentially fill many needs (big time pf/center, athletic wing).

The alternative to getting Hill more minutes is to get him some time at shooting guard, but he wouldn't be as effective that way. He would be too small to take on guys like Kobe Bryant.

Bottom line is this kid has the potential to be an all star, and even better than Parker because of his superior defense. He could be ready to break out as early as this year.

I thought the same even last year, when I proposed the spurs deal Parker for Biedrins and Azuibuke. Biedrins would look pretty good starting alongside Duncan, aye? Azubuike would give them that gritty tough nosed defender on the wing they're lacking.

That is just 1 example of a potential trade. I'm sure there are better ideas out there.

hater
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I like needles

Spursfan092120
11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
To me, George Hill looks even more lightning fast this year, with an explosiveness that is off the charts.
Hill was always this fast and explosive..just needed confidence. He has that now.

I thought the same even last year, when I proposed the spurs deal Parker for Biedrins and Azuibuke. Biedrins would look pretty good starting alongside Duncan, aye? Azubuike would give them that gritty tough nosed defender on the wing they're lacking.
Just kill me now...please...

Spursfan092120
11-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I like needles
:lmao

Agloco
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM

With this kid's development and potential growing bigger by the day, maybe its time to start thinking of a Tony Parker trade?

I know that idea is not going to met by much approval, but it does two things... propels Hill into a starting job and probably brings in a whale of new talent in trade.

Parker's trade value is probably at its peak right now. The spurs could potentially fill many needs (big time pf/center, athletic wing).

The alternative to getting Hill more minutes is to get him some time at shooting guard, but he wouldn't be as effective that way. He would be too small to take on guys like Kobe Bryant.

Bottom line is this kid has the potential to be an all star, and even better than Parker because of his superior defense. He could be ready to break out as early as this year.

That is just 1 example of a potential trade. I'm sure there are better ideas out there.

Bonner-Hate Intact? Check

Parker-Hate Intact? Check

Trade, Trade, Trade. :lmao:lmao:lmao

Agloco
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Double-Post :(

TJastal
11-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Hill was always this fast and explosive..just needed confidence. He has that now.

Just kill me now...please...

Okay if you insist. :king

Biedrins is one of the best rebounding bigs in the game. Think of much more polished version of Jeff Foster, a guy that ppl have been clamoring to get lately.

Azubuke is a heckuva wing defender and offensive rebounder / clean up man.

Laugh all you want, but fact is, in the in the spurs system these guys could flourish.

Look at what happened to Michael "Peaches" Pietrus once he left Golden State, he's been doing pretty good once he got out of dodge.

Interrohater
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM

you cannot be serious. Why do some people, such as yourself, want to trade away our best players? Don't you guys understand that we already have a lot of talent? You guys want to go younger and whatever the hell else, but look at a team like OKC, they've got talent and they're real young. That doesn't mean nothing in this league, just that they can run faster while losing.

Trading Parker is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You say that right now Parker is probably at his prime. Oh, ok then, let's trade a superstar in his prime for a couple of good players, and as soon as any of our other prospects turn into superstars, we'll trade them away immediately for some more decent players. Then, we can join the rest of the league in an endless cycle of "buy low, sell high" and never actually win anything. Holy crap, how ridiculous.

rjv
11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
i feel the same about hill-he no longer makes me wonder about the others that may have gotten away.

TJastal
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
you cannot be serious. Why do some people, such as yourself, want to trade away our best players? Don't you guys understand that we already have a lot of talent? You guys want to go younger and whatever the hell else, but look at a team like OKC, they've got talent and they're real young. That doesn't mean nothing in this league, just that they can run faster while losing.

Trading Parker is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You say that right now Parker is probably at his prime. Oh, ok then, let's trade a superstar in his prime for a couple of good players, and as soon as any of our other prospects turn into superstars, we'll trade them away immediately for some more decent players. Then, we can join the rest of the league in an endless cycle of "buy low, sell high" and never actually win anything. Holy crap, how ridiculous.

I don't think its too outlandish of a concept. The spurs are loaded with offensive minded players, too many in fact as was mentioned already (by Bruno I believe). The one real "great" defensive player they have (George Hill) is getting limited minutes in backup duty. As the bulls game showed, they are getting murdered on the offensive glass and they have no wings outside of Jefferson who can pay a lick of defense.

This move allows Hill to move into a starting role and get double his minutes a starter and plugs in a strong shotblocking/rebounding center and wing players to help keep the other teams' offensive rebounding to a minimum.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Biedrins is one of the best rebounding bigs in the game. Think of much more polished version of Jeff Foster, a guy that ppl have been clamoring to get lately.

For Finley and Bonner, not for our All-NBA point guard.

TJastal
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Just tried on ESPN trade

A. Biedrins, K. Azubuike, & Acie Law

for

T. Parker and M. Bonner -- SUCCESSFUL

This one works too:

Parker, Bonner, Finley

for

Biedrins, Law, and Jackson

ambchang
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't get it, trading a top 3 at best, top 5 at worst, PG for two role players who was most definitely a product of a fast-paced system?

Biedrins has very little post game, gets most of his rebounds through quickness and athleticism, can't shoot from more than 10 feet out (3/10 from outside that range the WHOLE season), and very overpaid. He is basically overrated based on the stats he puts up. Rumours about him being traded for Stoudemire or Bosh speaks either to how bad the Suns and Raptors GMs are, or how out of touch GS fans are (like Spurs fans)

Azubuke is a good defender, can shoot well from outside, but lacks control and restraint on the offensive end, is essentially a volume shooter, and not particularly intelligent or productive without the ball.

Biedrins is a don't touch with a ten foot pole sort of player with his salary, and Azubuke, at best, is a Trevor Ariza level talent.

This is a CLEAR dollar for two quarters trade. Unless Parker demands a trade and become extremely destructive, you don't do anything like this.

nkdlunch
11-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Just tried on ESPN trade

A. Biedrins, K. Azubuike, & Acie Law

for

T. Parker and M. Bonner -- SUCCESSFUL

This one works too:

Parker, Bonner, Finley

for

Biedrins, Law, and Jackson

congratulations. I am glad to hear you can succesfully use the trade machine. :sleep

TJastal
11-05-2009, 11:58 AM
With the Parker & Stephen Jackson trade Hollinger's "system" even predicts 6 less wins for the warriors.

Not that I'm taking that seriously... just saying :lol

TJastal
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't get it, trading a top 3 at best, top 5 at worst, PG for two role players who was most definitely a product of a fast-paced system?

Biedrins has very little post game, gets most of his rebounds through quickness and athleticism, can't shoot from more than 10 feet out (3/10 from outside that range the WHOLE season), and very overpaid. He is basically overrated based on the stats he puts up. Rumours about him being traded for Stoudemire or Bosh speaks either to how bad the Suns and Raptors GMs are, or how out of touch GS fans are (like Spurs fans)

Azubuke is a good defender, can shoot well from outside, but lacks control and restraint on the offensive end, is essentially a volume shooter, and not particularly intelligent or productive without the ball.

Biedrins is a don't touch with a ten foot pole sort of player with his salary, and Azubuke, at best, is a Trevor Ariza level talent.

This is a CLEAR dollar for two quarters trade. Unless Parker demands a trade and become extremely destructive, you don't do anything like this.

I think it's clear you get Biedrins for his shotblocking and defense. Which he excels at. He still gives you 7-10 points a game same as Bonner. He's going to give you some offensive rebouding too.

As for Azubuike.. you could have said the same about Pietrus on the warriors too... its amazing how Michael's doing once he left there isn't it?

In the spurs system these two players could thrive and fill glaring deficiencies in the spurs lineup.

I'm not saying this is the end all be all trade. Just trying to get people to think outside the box.

One thing is for sure.. having Bonner starting and Finley getting "extended minutes" as Pop "experiments" with lineups will end up with Duncan burned out or injured by the end of season. He cannot make up defensively for these two players' deficiencies.

TJastal
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
This is what the spurs would look like after that Parker/Fin/Bonner for Jackson/Biedrins/Law

C Biedrins / McDyess
PF Duncan / Blair
SF Jefferson / Ginobili
SG Jackson / Mason Jr
PG Hill / Acie Law

Fillers: Hairston / Bogans / Ratliff

Now that looks like a team that can suffocate teams defensively, as well as still score alot of points. Duncan won't be relied on to make up for so much deficiency by Bonner and Finley so that will ease the burden on his shoulders.

I know everyone loves Tony Parker and all, but I would do this trade in a heartbeat.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Bookmarked for future reference.

TJastal
11-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Bookmarked for future reference.

Me too. I'll have nice dreams thinking about that lineup. And then I'll wake up to the reality of Bonner and Finley in the starting lineup.

:lol

spurs50_
11-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Didn't get to watch the last game, can anyone tell me if Hairston or mahinimi were in street clothes? Thanks

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Didn't get to watch the last game, can anyone tell me if Hairston or mahinimi were in street clothes? Thanks

Hairston, Haislip, and Mahinmi have been in street clothes for all three games.

jsandiego
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
This is what the spurs would look like after that Parker/Fin/Bonner for Jackson/Biedrins/Law

C Biedrins / McDyess
PF Duncan / Blair
SF Jefferson / Ginobili
SG Jackson / Mason Jr
PG Hill / Acie Law

Now that looks like a team that can suffocate teams defensively, as well as still score alot of points. Duncan won't be relied on to make up for so much deficiency by Bonner and Finley so that will ease the burden on his shoulders.

I know everyone loves Tony Parker and all, but I would do this trade in a heartbeat.This is the same garbage spewed by pundits who said we should have traded our #1 pick (Duncan) for I believe the Celtics 2 top 10 picks.

No thanks. You don't trade a Finals MVP. Period. This is the kind of crap the Clippers do, not the SPURS. You don't change horses mid-stream. You build around the nucleus!

This is so rediculous. Some people aren't tradeable in this league, and right now TP is one of them. Ditto that for Tim & Manu.

duncan228
11-05-2009, 12:59 PM

If you're interested, timvp's recap of the game:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138554

TJastal
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
This is the same garbage spewed by pundits who said we should have traded our #1 pick (Duncan) for I believe the Celtics 2 top 10 picks.

No thanks. You don't trade a Finals MVP. Period. This is the kind of crap the Clippers do, not the SPURS. You don't change horses mid-stream. You build around the nucleus!

This is so rediculous. Some people aren't tradeable in this league, and right now TP is one of them. Ditto that for Tim & Manu.

First off, EVERYONE'S TRADEABLE. This is business and Holt has invested a ton of money into this team. If it improves the team YOU DO IT. Holt deserves the BEST TEAM he can get.

Parker's trade value is at an all time high, and of course he's a great player I'm not denying that. Of course trading him isn't something your going to think of for no particular reason. But there is a reason. His name is Goerge Hill. That's what makes this idea feasible. Because George Hill could be ready to play at a level close to Parker, that's why you think about this trade.

Sorry for the caps, but as it stands this team does not play the type of defense required to win a championship. I'm trying to think of ways to improve that.

easjer
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM

C Biedrins / McDyess
PF Duncan / Blair
SF Jefferson / Ginobili
SG Jackson / Mason Jr
PG Hill / Acie Law

I know everyone loves Tony Parker and all, but I would do this trade in a heartbeat.

Yeah. . . that's why Antonio McDyess and DeJuan Blair and Richard Jefferson were brought in.

The burden Timmy had to carry was exacerbated by a bench of Oberto, Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen. Your idea might (and that's a fucking big might) have some merit if the remainder of the off-season had not happened.

But since it did, the glaring holes you refer to were filled and there is absolutely zero reason to trade away one of our key players, especially for average to good players.

Fin and Bonner are not going to be playing extended minutes and probably won't be starting come March. Right now, the new guys are being eased in and rotations and player/floor combinations are being tested and Fin and Bonner are being shopped. Have you paid any attention to the Spurs before? It seems like you live in fantasy land.

easjer
11-05-2009, 01:40 PM
First off, EVERYONE'S TRADEABLE. This is business and Holt has invested a ton of money into this team. If it improves the team YOU DO IT. Holt deserves the BEST TEAM he can get.

Parker's trade value is at an all time high, and of course he's a great player I'm not denying that. Of course trading him isn't something your going to think of for no particular reason. But there is a reason. His name is Goerge Hill. That's what makes this idea feasible. Because George Hill could be ready to play at a level close to Parker, that's why you think about this trade.

Sorry for the caps, but as it stands this team does not play the type of defense required to win a championship. I'm trying to think of ways to improve that.

You are delusional if you believe George Hill can step into Tony Parker's role full time. Kid is awesome, I love him, and he is showing improvement over last season (which was not bad in itself) and I'm thrilled, but he's not a replacement for Tony Parker right now, except for a few minutes a game.

And their defense is already, in NOVEMBER, way ahead of where it was last year and will only get better as McDyess and Blair get acclimated and get to spend more time in games. The end. Period.

Trading away one of our leading scorers at a position where we are already weak on back up is ridiculous when you are proposing to overload positions we're set at (bench and talent-wise).

DBMethos
11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Boston, Cleveland, LA, Orlando: These are pretty much the consensus for teams that are likely to contend for the championship this year, along with SA.

Yet none of them has a top 3 PG on their roster. That alone sets us apart from them and will give us a serious chance come April/May/June. And you want to trade away the guy that gives us our single biggest advantage against those teams? :nope

ambchang
11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I think it's clear you get Biedrins for his shotblocking and defense. Which he excels at. He still gives you 7-10 points a game same as Bonner. He's going to give you some offensive rebouding too.

As for Azubuike.. you could have said the same about Pietrus on the warriors too... its amazing how Michael's doing once he left there isn't it?

In the spurs system these two players could thrive and fill glaring deficiencies in the spurs lineup.

I'm not saying this is the end all be all trade. Just trying to get people to think outside the box.

One thing is for sure.. having Bonner starting and Finley getting "extended minutes" as Pop "experiments" with lineups will end up with Duncan burned out or injured by the end of season. He cannot make up defensively for these two players' deficiencies.

So you are willing to give up the Spurs leading scorer, and one of the three main pillers for “shotblocking and defense”, and “some offensive rebounding”, as well as someone you can equate to Pietrus? These are some of the things you can get by getting in the draft (Hill), FA (Ratliff and McDyess), or trades that doesn’t involve your franchise PG.

This is most definitely thinking outside of the box.

Duncan is averaging less than 30 minutes a game right now, and is probably not going to exceed that by too much by the end of the season. The offense is running through Parker and Ginobili more and more, relieving Duncan of many of the offensive responsibilities. On defense, players like Hill, McDyess and Ratliff are providing the necessary rest for Duncan.

Mel_13
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
The first thing you should do when you're in a hole is stop digging, but I hope he keeps going.

This thread is a gift that keeps on giving.

Interrohater
11-05-2009, 01:52 PM

Yes, of course technically speaking, everyone is tradeable. But realistically, Parker should be untradeable. I love George Hill, but to say that he can take over for Parker is a gross exaggeration and needs to be put to rest right now. Parker not only knows and understands our system, he LEADS it. Do you honestly think that George Hill can yell in frustration at Timmy because Timmy isn't moving to his spot? HELL no. Parker is the engine on this sports-car of an offense, no way Hill can replace that. Plus, you take away Parker's uncanny ability to drive into the lane and score, not only are you taking away easy buckets, you're also taking away opportunities for the rest of the team to score easy buckets.

Parker opens up the game more than any 3-point shooting center ever could. So you'd rather go from the "Big three plus one (RJ)" to the "big two plus one"? George Hill may be everything we've ever wanted in a point guard, but he's not there yet. By the time he does get there (IF he does!), Timmy's retiring and Manu is playing for the Wizards with Fab. Remember how we all hated the Gasol trade? This would be something like that, we'd get mediocre in return for well-above average excellence.

Again, George Hill is a great talent, but to think that he's at Tony Parker's level is ludicrous. How about this: A lot of people argue on here that TP should be ranked above Chris Paul, it's an ongoing discussion. Who has once said that George Hill is better or equal to Chris Paul?

Insane.

easjer
11-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Geez, we're so stacked now I completely and utterly forgot about Theo Ratliff.

Him too.

easjer
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
OK, ok. I'll give you a chance. You tell me how this trade improves the team when you take away Parker's points and assists. Are you legitimately telling me that Hill + Biedrins + Azubuike can replace Parker + Hill in points? And that it won't matter if the offense takes a huge dive in terms of points because the shot-blocking and rebounding will truly be able to compensate?

TJastal
11-05-2009, 02:12 PM
OK, ok. I'll give you a chance. You tell me how this trade improves the team when you take away Parker's points and assists. Are you legitimately telling me that Hill + Biedrins + Azubuike can replace Parker + Hill in points? And that it won't matter if the offense takes a huge dive in terms of points because the shot-blocking and rebounding will truly be able to compensate?

A lion's share of the lost points/assists would come from Stephen Jackson, who's currently at 16.7/4.0. Parker is a scoring first point guard, his assists aren't a concern. :lol

As for the rest, Hill picks up more slack due to increased minutes. The thing is the defense will be miles better w/ Finley and Bonner gone from the starting lineup. Stephen Jackson would improve that and take on the role of stopping the other teams' best wing player that always give the spurs' fits.

George Hill may not be able to even come close to Parker's offensive production. But that's ok, his defense is really what the spurs need more of.

Oh, and btw.... Parker is a not a franchise player, Tim Duncan is the spurs' franchise player, that's why Duncan is making franchise type money. :hat

Phenomanul
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Didn't Detroit begin to unravel when they traded away Chauncey Billups? That's what would happen to the Spurs if they were dumb enough to trade Parker in his prime....

And like someone else mentioned... he's our one matchup advantage over some of the other contenders...

easjer
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
You are out to lunch.

And Parker and Ginobili are living on mere pittances from the Spurs. :rolleyes

lefty
11-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Too much time is good for us :tu

easjer
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Too much time is good for us :tu

I guess so, if preposterous idea threads amuse you.:lol

Interrohater
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
A lion's share of the lost points/assists would come from Stephen Jackson, who's currently at 16.7/4.0. Parker is a scoring first point guard, his assists aren't a concern. :lol

As for the rest, Hill picks up more slack due to increased minutes. The thing is the defense will be miles better w/ Finley and Bonner gone from the starting lineup. Stephen Jackson would improve that and take on the role of stopping the other teams' best wing player that always give the spurs' fits.

George Hill may not be able to even come close to Parker's offensive production. But that's ok, his defense is really what the spurs need more of.

Oh, and btw.... Parker is a not a franchise player, Tim Duncan is the spurs' franchise player, that's why Duncan is making franchise type money. :hat
I give up. You've totally deluded yourself into thinking that you're right. You hadn't even mentioned Stephen Jackson, but that still doesn't make it a worthwhile trade. Even after Timmy himself has said that this is Tony's team now (as in, franchise player), you just make up your own answers. Like seriously man, are you ok?

Deepest team we maybe have ever had, and some people are still not happy. Sheesh.

guzmangm
11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I know finally it seems like we have filled the hole of the missing back up point guard that plauged us since Speedy left and now the original poster is saying lets get rid of a proven champ for some possible good role players and go back to the one good point guard, which is still developing... In case you forgot, Duncan's time is dwindling and it's championship or bust this season. Plus like someone else said, Parker already has the keys to the Porshe, and why change all that know. It would hurt more than help.

Brazil
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
For the first time we have a good back up PG and 3 games after: "now we have a good back up trade the starter and put the back up at starter" just fucking lol !

I guess next step will be : we have Blair trade Duncan for Jeff Foster and a 1st pick...

sexinthatsx
11-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I just have to step in and give my two cents. I stopped posting on here a while ago because I'm too busy but nevertheless I still browse the forum off and on. This topic of trading tony parker, however, is just ridiculous. Tony is the reason the spurs won the championship in 2007. Granted Tim Duncan was a beast, tony parker made some impossible shots that allowed the spurs to sweep the cavs. To trade parker for biedrins and azibuike, two unproven players outside of the warriors system is blasphemy. If the spurs chucked up as many shots as the warriors did (THANK GOD THEY DON'T) I'm sure Tim duncan would average 13 rebounds, and even matt bonner would average around 8 rebounds. Azuibuike is a good player, but for purposes of this trade I do not think he is worth it at all. End of story.

objective
11-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Based purely on watching the 2007-08 college basketball season, my target was Chris Douglas-Roberts. If Derrick Rose was good enough to be the first overall selection in the 2008 Draft, there was no way CDR should have slipped to the tenth pick of the second round.

I was big on CDR too. People on various boards bashed him for being hurt last year.

This year now that he can play?

Starting for the Nets, averaging 15.6 points, 4.8 rebounds on 47.5% shooting. This is no surprise.

Go For Tree
11-05-2009, 04:05 PM

As it stands, the season is still not 3 games long.... We shouldnt be playing our best basketball now. You want to be like the Suns?

As it stands, we have a damn talented team with some new faces that are working OT at learning the nuances of one the the NBA's most complicated systems. Why would you trade away someone who can run the floor without assistance from his coach for athletes who would spend most of this season scratching their head because they have too much to leanr in the middle of the year? Especially on defense.

Ibanezsr
11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Would you guys trade TP for Al Jefferson if possible? With Minny you never know what kind of crazy deal could be pulled off...

SenorSpur
11-05-2009, 05:11 PM
After reading this, I realize that I have too much time on my own hands.

ajh18
11-05-2009, 05:25 PM
While I don't think this trade helps the Spurs, there's another reason that I think you don't trade Tony Parker, even if you can get (arguably) comparable talent in the form of an Al Jefferson-type player.

Pop loves his "coporate knowledge" for a reason. It takes a LONG time to really learn the Spurs system. Even longer at PG, and even longer if you hope to be one of the main components of a Spurs team. In Parker, Pop has an all-nba level pg that understands the Spurs system completely. Pop is even letting Tony call plays this year himself. No way he gives that up, or lets the Spurs give that up.

And, even if his feelings werent an issue... I am NOT willing to risk wasting another year of Tim's career by adding talent that is going to take time to integrate and understand the system, at the expense of an all-nba talent that already knows it inside and out. You just dont do that if you want to contend. Some teams are successful adding talent, but very few are successful adding talent at the expense of talent that is integrated into the system.

TIMMYD!
11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Miller's a dumbass.

will_spurs
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Because George Hill could be ready to play at a level close to Parker, that's why you think about this trade.

No he isn't. He's nowhere near that, to be honest. Maybe in a few years. But right now Hill is a decent back-up PG, nothing more, nothing less. You're so certain he could replace Parker, but what tells you Hill wouldn't make a disappearance act like Mason and Bonner in the playoffs?

Parker is so underrated, even by Spurs fan, it's ridiculous.

Pauleta14
11-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Parker is so underrated, even by Spurs fan, it's ridiculous.[/quote]

+1

Best quote/conclusion (?) of the thread! :toast

DPG21920
11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Their are certainly scenarios where I think trading TP makes sense. Just not now.

duhoh
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM

anyone in the spurs system will never average high assists as an individual.

this is perhaps one of the most ridiculous trade statements ever. why ruin the existing chemistry of a core that has been to the top multiple times together? especially when they are in win it all mode right now.

puff puff pass please.

will_spurs
11-06-2009, 02:43 AM
You're so certain he could replace Parker, but what tells you Hill wouldn't make a disappearance act like Mason and Bonner in the playoffs?

Didn't even need to wait that long... :downspin:

Brazil
11-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Because George Hill could be ready to play at a level close to Parker, that's why you think about this trade.

bump. Same player try again

symple19
11-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Biedrins is vastly overrated. I live in the bay area and watch the Warriors often. Andres can run well, but his blocks and rebounds are over-inflated because of the system he plays in. He's pretty much the only guy on the floor for long stretches of time that can do those previously mentioned things. It's also inevitable you'll get a lot of blocks when the perimeter D collapses like a house of cards on every possession. And then you have the Warriors ole' defense that allows a million shots to be put up in a small amount of time.

TJastal
11-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Biedrins is vastly overrated. I live in the bay area and watch the Warriors often. Andres can run well, but his blocks and rebounds are over-inflated because of the system he plays in. He's pretty much the only guy on the floor for long stretches of time that can do those previously mentioned things. It's also inevitable you'll get a lot of blocks when the perimeter D collapses like a house of cards on every possession. And then you have the Warriors ole' defense that allows a million shots to be put up in a small amount of time.

Your really stretching to find reasons to not like the guy. The warriors system isn't the greatest but I highly doubt its giving him all his stats all by itself. The guy's got some pretty good skills which coincidentally are areas the spurs are lacking.

He shoots a very high percentage (doesn't take alot of stupid forced shots) and grabs alot of rebounds. He is basically a high octane version of Jeff Foster. He's got good size and length. He's basically the NBA's version of European star Tiago Splitter. Same type of game.

TJastal
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Their are certainly scenarios where I think trading TP makes sense. Just not now.

What scenarios are you thinking of, and when?

ambchang
11-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Your really stretching to find reasons to not like the guy. The warriors system isn't the greatest but I highly doubt its giving him all his stats all by itself. The guy's got some pretty good skills which coincidentally are areas the spurs are lacking.

He shoots a very high percentage (doesn't take alot of stupid forced shots) and grabs alot of rebounds. He is basically a high octane version of Jeff Foster. He's got good size and length. He's basically the NBA's version of European star Tiago Splitter. Same type of game.

Franchise PG = High Octane Jeff Foster + Pietrus.

Got it.

TJastal
11-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Franchise PG = High Octane Jeff Foster + Pietrus.

Got it.

Add "George Hill getting more minutes as a starter" to the end of that equation.

With that trade you've addressed the spurs' 3 biggest weaknesses on defense. And if the spurs acquired Stephen Jackson that is the equivalent of getting a high octane version of Pietrus.

As for our "Franchise PG" .. he's a FA at the end of next year. He could bolt on the spurs and leave them with nothing in return. At least you'd still have Biedrins and Jackson to play alongside Duncan for the remaining year of his contract.

ambchang
11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Great logic.

I mean, which trades in history has benefited the team giving up the best player? Let's see ... hmmm, ummm ... how about none?

Chamberlain trade, Barkley trade, Shaq trade, Jabbar trade, from the top of my head, the team that gets the best player in a trade always comes out on top.

Second, your set of assumptions makes little sense.
1) George Hill, with an up-and-down rookie season, and 4 games into his sophomore season, can fill the shoes of an All-star and Finals MVP.
2) Jackson's offensive production will remain the same, or at least comparable, in a methodical offense as the 3rd or 4th option as his offense in a free-flowing, fast-paced, shoot'em up offense as the 1st or 2nd option.
3) Biedrins, with his athletic based game, will fit into a defense heavy on rotation and defensive help. His offense that includes nothing outside of 10 feet, will also not clog the lane of a motion based offense.
4) Azubuike will actually improve in a smaller role playing behind Jefferson, Ginobili, and Mason.

Brazil
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Add "George Hill getting more minutes as a starter" to the end of that equation.

With that trade you've addressed the spurs' 3 biggest weaknesses on defense. And if the spurs acquired Stephen Jackson that is the equivalent of getting a high octane version of Pietrus.

As for our "Franchise PG" .. he's a FA at the end of next year. He could bolt on the spurs and leave them with nothing in return. At least you'd still have Biedrins and Jackson to play alongside Duncan for the remaining year of his contract.

TJastal, I'm not going to give names like morons etc... it's not my speciality, we are here to talk and everybody is here to give his opinion.

Now I would like to know what are you seeing in Hill that brings you to think he can be a starter PG in a contender team ???

Agloco
11-06-2009, 02:06 PM

I suppose therein lies the fallacy with your argument.

HarlemHeat37
11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Actually, Biedrins is arguably the biggest stat-padder in the NBA..not purposely, but his stats are heavily inflated, and he's nowhere near as good of a defender as some people seem to think..