PDA

View Full Version : It's Time for the League to Embrace the Nuggets

duncan228
11-05-2009, 07:14 PM
It's Time for the League to Embrace the Nuggets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-itstimefortheleaguet&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

The Nuggets have a lot of tattoos, play emotional, crazy and sometimes rough, and yes, harbor individuals who have had legal troubles. That means fans can call them "thugs" and it's OK. I also never understood why George Karl gets let off the hook for that. He's tall, intimidating, and has eyes that could pierce a brick wall. That's your Swedish docks enforcer from central casting right there.

In some ways, Denver has remained the thorn in the side of David Stern's Bron-spurred reclamation project. Kenyon Martin will never die. J.R. Smith can't stop screwing up, and the team won't let him go. Chris Andersen absorbs love like a two-day old forehead sponge, has that inspirational story, and is white. But he showboats on the court, does his hair like an Insane Clown Posse dead-ender, and is up to his nose in ink. And then there's Carmelo Anthony, easily the most personable, and thus marketable, of the Class of 2003 crew. Yet Melo's always just a little too hood, or perceived as un-valiant, to get on the public's good side.

Oh, and how long does it really take for a team to get rid of Allen Iverson's stain on the walls, especially when they seemingly embraced him? Can you spell T-H-U-G-C-E-N-T-R-A-L. Just trade for Stephen Jackson already and get over with it.

The question is, at what point does it benefit the NBA to have the Nuggets painted as deviant bad guys. Karl's on record as saying that his team is "picked on," then wondered further for The Denver Post, when discussing a Martin suspension a couple of years ago:

"Maybe we've earned that, I don't know … We're not an 'all-American team.' We're an emotional team that plays kind of explosive and then we get angry and we've shown some emotional frustrations on the court in negative ways at time. I hate to use the words 'fair' and 'non-biased,' but this is a major decision."

The league keeps the Nuggets on a short leash, sometimes seemingly use them to make an example. However, you've got to wonder if there doesn't come a time where they need to go on the offensive and work to make Denver socially acceptable, or at least no longer actively persecute them (or encourage fans to do the same). Chauncey Billups coming to town certainly made it harder to take the former stance on the team. And yet even as the team got white-hot in time for the playoffs, the headline was the various kinds of chippiness resulting from the Dallas series.

So fine, that made a second-round series juicy. But it distracted from the fact that Denver is the one team in the West that could conceivably smash its way into the league's elite alongside L.A., Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando. The Nuggets went into the Conference Finals against L.A. as something slightly better than underdogs, and I have to believe that the mess with Dallas—admittedly, in part the Nuggets' own fault—kept that storyline from picking up the momentum it deserved. Billups or no Billups.

All of which brings us back to Carmelo Anthony, already being touted as an MVP candidate as the Nuggets come on stronger than ever—and Melo shows us shrewder judgment, more control, and a better rapport with the team as a whole. Every season, we see some degree of this, and some writers jump on it—already, TrueHoop (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10354/melo%E2%80%99s-average-drops-as-nuggets-win-again) is touting a New Melo.

But we've also yet to see Anthony slip up, or the rest of the Nuggets get so crazy they start to drag him down. This season might well be different, at least by matters of degree. Still, Karl said it best: They are, to some extent, always going to be that team. No matter how exemplary Melo's highs are, how much old head advice Billups dispenses, and how assiduously other Nuggets avoid the police blotter or Stu Jackson's office.

Once again, the Nuggets are the dark horse pick to crash in and steal the title. Take their star as a microcosm of this: a Carmelo Anthony the world can love is better for basketball than one never being given the benefit of the doubt and falling victim to innumerable stereotypes. It would be good for basketball if Denver were seen as a worthy foe for L.A. out west, not a distraction or derangement. At some point, doesn't the league want the Nuggets to stop being viewed as evil thugs? They are certainly more valuable as a West powerhouse, with an MVP candidate, than a cautionary example.

I'm not suggesting that the league plans all this, or that Denver should be given a whole booklet of free passes to spend over the year as they see fit. Karl himself will acknowledge that being involved in brawls also might hurt the Nuggets image, which in turn affects the league's perception of them. And there is a certain preemptive logic there: Someone like Martin needs to be sent a message, reminded that flagrants are bad, whereas other players might be more likely to teach themselves that lesson. We saw that as recently as last season's playoff, when he was fined $25,000 for a flagrant foul on Dirk Nowitzki. But, at the risk of making this even more about discipline, punishment and rehabilitation, this year the issue seems more pressing than ever.

I'm not saying the Nuggets shouldn't have to follow the same rules everybody else does. But there's no reason to prove a point to the team or make an example of them when Denver's no longer just another good-not-great playoff team. At some point, you have to let them be themselves and clean up as best you can. Otherwise, the league's missing out on a golden opportunity.

Allanon
11-05-2009, 07:18 PM
I can't lie. The Nuggets aren't good this year, they're impressive.

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2009, 07:18 PM
The Nuggets are a very good team with top-tier talent, but their flaw remains the same..they're always vulnerable against high-IQ teams, we've seen it for years when they've played LA or San Antonio in the playoffs..Karl is always severely outcoached by Pop and Jackson..

They have too many low-IQ players, which was in full display in the Lakers series last year..it's tough to make smart plays when you have Karl as a coach, and players like Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, and Birdman as rotation players(see: inability to make simple inbounds plays in clutch time, Kenyon Martin's ridiculous fouls down the stretch, the shot selection of most of their players, and Karl's lack of coaching ability that always seems to be understated by the media due to the success he's somehow accomplished)..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Good points Harlem - they look great now, but how will they look in a crucial game 5 in the playoffs?

I can't lie. The Nuggets aren't good this year, they're impressive.

Yeah, I agree. Better than I thought they'd be after losing Jones and Kleiza. People are concentrating on Melo, but it looks to me like Kenyon and Nene have also taken a little step up (they were already pretty good), and Ty Lawson is the real deal. Melo-Nene-KMart is close to the best starting frontcourt in the league... during the regular season, anyway.

It'll be interesting to see whether JR's return fucks it all up! :lol

Allanon
11-05-2009, 07:26 PM
It'll be interesting to see whether JR's return fucks it all up! :lol

I wuz gonna say this but felt that Nuggets-Fan will call me a hater when he sees it. :lol

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll say that even with the flaws I stated, the way Carmelo's playing right now is scary..

If they had a different coach, I'd be scared of them..knowing that Anthony Carter is always going to be a rotation player for him(he makes Michael Finley look like Kobe) makes it a lot easier for teams..

Culburn369
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Win something first.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I wuz gonna say this but felt that Nuggets-Fan will call me a hater when he sees it. :lol

:lol JR will only make the team tougher to beat. He wont start, but he will wreak havoc on opposing 2nd units.

JR will always be a knucklehead, but he is slowly growing up. I have no doubt he will be a 20ppg player this season, and most importantly, he will be a player that continues to improve on both ends.

Call me crazy but i think JR has Kobe talent, he just doesnt have Kobe discipline or Kobe drive.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-05-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll say that even with the flaws I stated, the way Carmelo's playing right now is scary..

If they had a different coach, I'd be scared of them..knowing that Anthony Carter is always going to be a rotation player for him(he makes Michael Finley look like Kobe) makes it a lot easier for teams..

Carter will slowly lose minutes. Lawson is already the real deal and will only get better with experience

Id like to see a starting 5 of Billups/Afflalo/Melo/K/Nene and a bench of

Lawson/JR/Graham/Balkman/Andersen

and AC/Allen and Petro getting no time unless in a blowout :lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-05-2009, 07:43 PM
which game was it where JR an Kobe went shot for shot late in the game? Kobe came out on top, but it was sure fun to watch when they both got going

Findog
11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I like Melo now. He finally seems to get it.

Culburn369
11-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Can't believe how old Marion looks, Fin. Yikes.

The Gemini Method
11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Melo is fu#$in rock it right about now...can't help but notice how well they've started out this season. Man, going up and knocking off the vaunted Trailblazers just goes to show you how far they've gone...

mogrovejo
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Karl is a great coach. The Nuggets need more size and talent in the front-court, assuming Afflalo pans out (and I think he will, always liked the guy, very good wing defender).

They won't keep scoring at this pace - not even remotely close to it. Right now they're scoring above 120 points per 100 possessions. I bet they'll end the season around 110. 115 at best. They've only played atrocious defensive teams.

Culburn369
11-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Karl is a great coach.

He's a screwball. Never won a f'in thing.

Danny.Zhu
11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Wait until they play some real contenders.

Culburn369
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Few & far between, Danny. The bottom feeding is going to be quite a comprehensive factor this NBA season.

DPG21920
11-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I honestly don't get why people think the Nuggets are fun. Sure, Melo is a beast, but other than that, I actually hate watching them play. That is not to say they are not a solid team, but I just don't see the appeal and I have watched them a lot.

I think the Mavs are a much more entertaining team.

Danny.Zhu
11-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Few & far between, Danny. The bottom feeding is going to be quite a comprehensive factor this NBA season.

Just like what Cavs did last season?

bostonguy
11-05-2009, 10:17 PM
The Nuggets are fun as hell to watch when they fold under playoff pressure. Games 3 and 6 of the 2009 WCF were some moments. In game 3 Jr Smith hits a jumper to put the Nuggets up 2. Then Kobe drains a dagger 3 while JR was hacking the shit out of him. In game 6, when the Lakers just DOMINATED that 2nd half. Great times.

ElNono
11-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I still think their coach is average... easily outmatched by Phil, Pop and the like...
They also still have important guys for them, like JR Smith, that have the basketball IQ of a frog...
On the plus side, Chauncey is still great and Melo improved incredibly... I just don't think it's enough

mavs>spurs2
11-05-2009, 10:23 PM
The Nuggets are beast this year..they have a great shot at knocking off LA. Last year was just a tuneup, now this team is really clicking. And Carmelo gets better year after year.

KSeal
11-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Nuggets will knock out the Spurs. Lakers Nuggets WCF rematch :)

DPG21920
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Nuggets are good and can compete with anyone but the Lakers in the West. I still think they will be a better regular season team than playoff team, but they are good.