PDA

View Full Version : Are we just never going to play Ian?

Rob123
11-06-2009, 12:41 AM
I dont see the harm. We've got smurfs anchoring the paint, and it isnt taking us anywhere. It's early yet. Lets at least give Ian some burn see how he does.

Whisky Dog
11-06-2009, 12:43 AM
He must not be showing anything in practice/preseason if he can't get burn at all.

HarlemHeat37
11-06-2009, 12:44 AM
If Ratliff can't even get on the court, I doubt Ian gets a shot..

Budkin
11-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Ian doesn't work with small ball because he is... not small. Small ball!

slick'81
11-06-2009, 01:42 AM
no one can prove to me he even exists :wow

rayray2k8
11-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Spurs need a 7 footer to play next to Duncan.

Rob123
11-06-2009, 01:50 AM

Isnt Ian like 6'11 and ridiculously lanky? That's pretty damn good compared to all the 6'9-6'10 guys we have out there now.

TimDunkem
11-06-2009, 01:51 AM
I really hope Pop gives him or Hairston some burn soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Please_dont_ban_me
11-06-2009, 03:25 AM
I don't really care what happens with him.

But I'd like to at least see him in a NBA game at some point playing some minutes. Just to see what all the big deal was about.

jjktkk
11-06-2009, 03:35 AM
I dont see the harm. We've got smurfs anchoring the paint, and it isnt taking us anywhere. It's early yet. Lets at least give Ian some burn see how he does.

This thread could be 4 years old. Every year Mahinmi is suppose to be our savior. The dude is tall and athletic. Not much basketball smarts, which has kept him riding the pine and, or injuries as well, but yet he suppose to ride in on a white horse and be a combination of DROB and Duncan. You Mahinmi lovers need to cut him loose. Save yourselves.

SenorSpur
11-06-2009, 04:00 AM
I'd rather see Ian get some PT, and foul out of games being aggressive rather than watch more of the porous, atrocious, interior defense that the Spurs are throwing out there now.

SenorSpur
11-06-2009, 04:01 AM

Barkley reiterated as much during tonight's telecast.

The Bonner experiment is truly a failed one.

will_spurs
11-06-2009, 04:02 AM
This thread could be 4 years old. Every year Mahinmi is suppose to be our savior. The dude is tall and athletic. Not much basketball smarts, which has kept him riding the pine and, or injuries as well, but yet he suppose to ride in on a white horse and be a combination of DROB and Duncan. You Mahinmi lovers need to cut him loose. Save yourselves.

It sure is better to play 5 guards than to give some minutes to one of the unproven bigs. Totally makes sense. Oh... was that another uncontested layup? How come?

:bang

venitian navigator
11-06-2009, 04:03 AM
Ian Mahinmi surely is not a savior but is young, athletic, can run the floor like a deer and plays defense...quite like the same stuff of hairston.
The point of playing veterans like Finley and Bonner for extended minutes is because they already know the system and just for this can guarantee some wins...but, if we're losing as well, it would be better to start the young guns instead...so they can learn something for the final of the season and, maybe, for the years after.

I don't think we loose to Sacramento or New Orleans if Hairston take Finley's spot and Mahinmi Bonner's spot...

Parker can't be the only one on the starting five surpassing opponents for athletic skills...

symple19
11-06-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm so tired of fucking morons starting threads about this fucking failure of a basketball player.

If you still like Ian (as a Spur basketball player), you should shoot yourself in the face

DBMethos
11-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I'd rather see Hairston get some burn, but Ian deserves some PT as well. He can't be any worse on D than what we've got right now.

spurspokesman
11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't really care what happens with him.

But I'd like to at least see him in a NBA game at some point playing some minutes. Just to see what all the big deal was about.

Me to. Never even seen him play. If not for you tube I wouldnt recognize him:rollin

will_spurs
11-06-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm so tired of fucking morons starting threads about this fucking failure of a basketball player.

Based on what evidence? He's never even played... at least we'd know that if he's worse than what the Spurs currently have playing as "defenders" then it's time to trade him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Based on what evidence? He's never even played... at least we'd know that if he's worse than what the Spurs currently have playing as "defenders" then it's time to trade him.

So you don't trust the judgement of a HOF coach who sees him practice every day, but feeding the guy 10-15 minutes in a couple of games will give you the correct estimation of his abilities?

TJastal
11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
So you don't trust the judgement of a HOF coach who sees him practice every day, but feeding the guy 10-15 minutes in a couple of games will give you the correct estimation of his abilities?

Pardon me, but I'll answer this one. I don't trust any coachs' judgement that spends an utter fortune on free agents only to resort to playing the same old/unathletic/slow two guys that got them to a 1st round playoff loss the previous year.

Mahinmi has alot of potential and is only 22 and that alone should be enough of a reason to get him out on the court and not throw in the towel just yet.

Ratliff should be the guy sitting on the IR waiting for a call up while Ian gets some court time to see what he can do. Hairston too for that matter, while Bogans sits on IR. Popovich is doing this all ass-backwards.

spurspokesman
11-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Well the best teacher is the job itself. Wouldnt hurt to get him out there. Maybe its nerves. Only thing to fix that is exposure. At least let us see him for all the trouble we been through thinking of what could be.

Harry Callahan
11-06-2009, 10:41 AM
The players on the floor last night failed to compete and failed to defend. Benching someone might not be a bad idea.

nkdlunch
11-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Ian blows

Rob123
11-06-2009, 12:08 PM

If you still like Ian (as a Spur basketball player), you should shoot yourself in the face

calm down buddy. I just want to see the kid play.

HarlemHeat37
11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Again, if Ratliff can't even see the floor when we need somebody to help Tim in the paint, why would Pop let Ian get a chance?..

Death In June
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Think back to how awful Hill was last preseason and how how much better he looks after having played a full season. I don't see why you don't take a chance this early in the season to evaluate what you have in a game type situation, especially when your other options aren't so great. People are far up Pop's ass because he's won championships, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have his flaws. I don't think anyone can objectively say he had a good coaching run last year.

Blackjack
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Barkley reiterated as much during tonight's telecast.

The Bonner experiment is truly a failed one.

I actually thought his truly eye-opening revelation was his familiarity with bull penis..

Agloco
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
http://www.bearings.com/publications_and_reports/images/YouGotRight386.jpg

Agloco
11-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Or a 6.5 footer with a 7.25 foot wingspan. :hat

AFBlue
11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
The answer to your question...probably not. Not soon anyways.

I fully expect both Hairston and Ian to be in street clothes again tonight, even though they're going to be facing a very athletic team and will likely get shredded on defense.

I'm assuming Finley and Bonner will still be in the starting lineup as well.

Pop likes to go with "knowns", even when those "knowns" are known to suck, for longer than he probably should. It's frustrating, but it's part of being a Spurs fan.

senorglory
11-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I would expect to see Hairston before Ian, but of course, I have no idea, for as mentioned above, I have no proof that these guys even exist. As real as the Chupacabra at this point.

jjktkk
11-06-2009, 02:35 PM

Trade him for what. Some extra water bottles. Why would any team trade for Mahinmi?

Sigz
11-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Seriously, is this guy every going to play?

I'm not a HUGE fan of the guy... but at least he's a big body. I'm sick of watching Duncan struggle against 6'10'' -7 footers down low with Matt 'Boner' and his T-rex arms.

easy7
11-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Well Matt spaces the floor for the other team, and has no defense skills, therefore...

DPG21920
11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I see what you did there...lol

celldweller
11-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Well Matt spaces the floor for the other team, and has no defense skills, therefore...
:lol

exstatic
11-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah, we needed another "Is Ian going to PLAY!?!?!?" thread like a hole on the head.

Look halfway down the page, dim bulb.

objective
11-06-2009, 07:52 PM
My guess is that the Spurs won't play Mahinmi because they didn't pick up his option and the results of him playing would haunt them.

If they play him and he looks like has even a small pulse, he'll get a contract in the NBA for more than his option would have been. He's still a very young big man who has improved leaps and bounds and has NBA tools.

The Spurs aren't about to be embarassed and have to answer questions about why they didn't pick his option for cheap and let him get away/cost more than the option. They won't let that happen.

Maybe if Duncan, McDyess and Bonner got hurt. Maybe Ian would get some garbage time. But even in that scenario, you'd get small ball with Finley before the Spurs would let Mahinmi make them look bad.

Sigz
11-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, we needed another "Is Ian going to PLAY!?!?!?" thread like a hole on the head.

Look halfway down the page, dim bulb.

Sorry I took up 7.8 kb worth of bandwidth dipshit.

will_spurs
11-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Trade him for what. Some extra water bottles. Why would any team trade for Mahinmi?

a) expiring contract
b) to see if he's actually worth anything, again since he's not playing there's no way to know. I'm sure a few teams would pay him just because he's a 7-footer worth 5 fouls and an occasional block.