PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs unfazed by new rims

duncan228
11-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Spurs unfazed by new rims (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_unfazed_by_new_rims.html)
Jeff McDonald

SALT LAKE CITY — If the new, more collapsible rims introduced before the start of the season are really creating more so-called “shooter's rolls,” the Spurs haven't noticed.

Quietly, the NBA switched manufacturers to bring about the most significant change in that piece of equipment since the advent of breakaway rims in 1981.

The new basket system, made by Spalding and called the “Arena Pro 180 Goal,” collapse from both the front and sides. In the past, breakaway rims have collapsed only from the front.

Some shooters report the change has made the rims more forgiving for shooters, deadening shots that used to bounce out. And scoring is up early across the league.

Asked about the change before Thursday's game at Utah, coach Gregg Popovich has he hadn't heard anything about it. Neither had many of his players.

“I didn't know,” Roger Mason Jr. said. “I really have noticed anything different.”

Added Matt Bonner: “The last six or seven times I dunked, I didn't notice anything, either.”

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili was philosophical about the change.

“If you only swish, and don't hit the rim, it doesn't matter,” he joked.

Two down, three to go: Ginobili received his second set of rabies shots Thursday, part of a preventative vaccination regimen stemming from last week's bat incident.

He said the first set of injections, received Monday, gave him a mild fever for the first 24 hours.

Ginobili reported no ill effects before Thursday's game. Though he still is due three more sets of shots, Ginobili was looking still looking on the bright side of the ordeal.

Apprised that rabies shots used to be administered in the stomach, and not the arm and hip, Ginobili said, “See? Good timing.”

Positive reinforcement: The Spurs practiced three times on the four days between Saturday's win over Sacramento and Thursday's game at Utah. Afforded time to teach, Popovich opted to reinforce concepts taught during the preseason, rather than open up the playbook to new material.

“We didn't put anything new in,” Popovich said. “We just basically worked on continuing to get people used to defensive rotations, used to the basic offense, the way we space the floor. Mostly just trying to acquaint people, give them more repetitions at what we do.”

Slydragon
11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
I loved Gino's response

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/258/nbarim2600.jpg

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
ok so to answer spursmania's question, pop didn't do shit past 4 days

Slydragon
11-06-2009, 01:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4620192

Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks was far stronger in his criticism, suggesting that the rims' increased give has been a major factor in the unexpected struggles from the field that have plagued the Mavericks during their 2-1 start.

ElNono
11-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Obviously Utah was unfazed also... :lol