PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Jazz - Nov. 5

timvp
11-06-2009, 04:33 AM
After four days of rest, the Spurs traveled to Utah and took on a Jazz team that desperately needed a win. From the beginning, the Jazz played with more energy, more toughness and more urgency and handily defeated the Spurs by a final score of 113-99.

With the Spurs up 14-12 halfway through the first quarter, the wheels fell off. The Jazz outscored the Spurs 20-8 the rest of the period. From that point on, San Antonio never really made it much of a contest.

The Jazz entered the game 1-3 and were coming off two bitter defeats. Carlos Boozer, specifically, was starting to feel the heat. You have to give Utah credit for playing a very good game. Boozer and Deron Williams played fantastic and it was obvious that they came to this game with playoff intensity.

It'd be easy to blame the poor performance of the Spurs on rust ... but rust doesn't account for getting physically manhandled or the multiple mental lapses. If anything, this game showed that the Spurs have a long ways to go before they can claim to be true championship contenders.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
30:12 minutes, 15 points, 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists
5-for-10 from the field, 5-for-8 at the line

It wasn't a very pretty game for Tim Duncan. Offensively, he started off very poor but eventually got into a groove. Once he upped his assertiveness on the low blocks, he was able to be effective. Defensively, Duncan was decent. He protected the rim well but didn't play very good individual defense. Duncan was also slow to rotate a few times. The worst news of the night is that Duncan was limping a few times. Hopefully it's not anything serious.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
25:02 minutes, 11 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals
3-for-8 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers, 4-for-6 at the line

For the first time this season, I didn't like the way Manu Ginobili played. He was making bad decisions with the ball almost every time he touched it. He took ill-advised shots, he forced the issue too much and seemed to break any offensive rhythm the team gained. Even the shots Ginobili made weren't very smart possessions. On the defensive end he was a bit better but he gambled too much. Basically, Ginobili played like he was totally out sync.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
28:34 minutes, 21 points, 3 assists
6-for-14 from the field, 9-for-9 from the line

Tony Parker had quality stretch in the second quarter. He attacked the basket relentlessly and kept the Spurs from getting blown out. But once he got in foul trouble, he struggled on both ends of the court. His attack level was decreased on offense. Defensively, he became a traffic cone. For the Spurs to win this game, they needed a much better and more consistent effort from Parker.

Richard Jefferson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3523.jpg
27:24 minutes, 14 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists
5-for-9 from the field, 2-for-3 on three-pointers, 2-for-4 at the line

Although his offensive stats look good on paper, Richard Jefferson had an outing to forget. His defense, or lack thereof, got him benched on a pair of occasions. The first instance was due to allowing unimpeded penetration by Wes Matthews on multiple possessions. The second benching was after Jefferson missed a short shot and then lollygagged back on transition defense. The previous three games of the season, I thought Jefferson spent plenty of energy on the defensive end. This game, he played poorly on that end and without much energy. On offense, Jefferson still is struggling to gel. Right now, he's either getting open looks off of Parker's penetration or Pop has to call a play for him to get involved. Jefferson needs to figure out how to fit in during normal offensive sets.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
16:52 minutes, 6 points, 1 blocked shot
2-for-5 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

This was one of those games that Michael Finley just had dead legs. He wasn't jumping well. He was moving in slow motion. Going against the Jazz on their home court, that's a bad combination. He hit a couple of shots but that didn't make up for the 36-year-old looking like he was going on 56.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
17:08 minutes, 3 points, 2 rebounds
1-for-6 from the field, 1-for-5 on three-pointers

You very rarely see Mehmet Okur utilize his quickness to beat his defender off the dribble and get to the rim. In fact, the only time I've seen it is when he's being defended by Matt Bonner. When defending the post, Bonner was adequate. But when Okur is getting around him with his molasses maneuvers, something isn't quite right with Bonner's defense. Add in his poor shooting and Bonner was definitely a part of the problem on Thursday night.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg
22:36 minutes, 6 points, 4 rebounds, 1 blocked shot
2-for-5 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

In the first half, Antonio McDyess wasn't helping at all. He was getting scored on in the block and was having even less success defending out on the perimeter. He also wasn't helping on the defensive boards and was a non-factor on the offensive end. In the second half, McDyess was much better. While still not at a level the Spurs need from him, it was definitely better than the forgettable play of the first two quarters.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
17:42 minutes, 7 points, 1 steal
3-for-6 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Roger Mason, Jr. was one of the few bright spots for the Spurs. He played with purpose on the offensive end and acted like he knew what he wanted. Defensively he was pressuring his man and even ventured into the passing lanes a few times. It was easily Mason's best game of the season and perhaps it was enough for Pop to give him more minutes.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
22:41 minutes, 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
1-for-8 from the field

George Hill's performance was bad. Very bad. In fact, it had to make Pop think about whether or not Hill can handle the pressure in an hostile environment. This was his first true test of his sophomore season and it is safe to say that he didn't pass. When he wasn't missing shots he was having trouble running the offense or getting beat on the defensive end. Hill needs a much better showing in Portland to erase any early season doubts.

DeJuan Blair
http://dailyelements.com/dejuan-blair.jpg
21:07 minutes, 14 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block
7-for-10 from the field

It was another impressive statistical performance by DeJuan Blair. Though a chunk of his stats can in garbage time, he played relatively well throughout and gave consistent effort. His defense still has a long, long way to go but I'm seeing slight improvements. Offensively, he's fitting in well and seems to relish the role of the garbage man.

Keith Bogans
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3746.jpg
10:42 minutes, 1 turnover, 2 fouls
1-for-5 from the field, 1-for-2 at the line

When Pop benched Jefferson, Keith Bogans was sent into the game. It was an obvious attempt by Pop to get the message across that defense is what will earn playing time. Bogans was ugly offensively but he was very physical on defense and showed why Pop likes him. He was one of the few Spurs that wasn't getting pushed around. That said, his offense is so bad right now that it's difficult to put him on the court.

Gregg Popovich
http://dailyelements.com/pop-stoic.jpg

I really didn't understand what Pop had in mind. Not only is he not doing a very good job of making sure the Spurs have at least two of their top four players in the game, there was even a stretch in the first half that featured none of the four. I'm also counting down the days until the end of the starting lineup that features both Finley and Bonner. Starting one of those players isn't the end of the world. Starting both? Please make it stop, Pop.

Offense

The Spurs scored 99 points, which should be good enough for a San Antonio squad to win the game. They shot 43.2% from the field, hit 6-of-16 three-pointers and 23-of-31 free throw attempts. Finishing with 14 assists shows that the chemistry on the offensive end is still a work in progress. But really, having 80 points heading into the fourth quarter should be plenty.

Defense

Defense was the downfall. The Jazz scored 113 points and most of the points were rather easy. In fact, 64 of the points were scored in the paint, while another 24 came from the free throw line. Even though the Jazz hit only 1-of-7 three-pointers, they hit 43-of-76 of their two-pointers -- or 56.6%. They also racked up 23 assists while only turning the ball over 10 times. The cherry on top was the fact that the Jazz outrebounded the Spurs 41-36, which included 14 offensive rebounds for Utah.

Drive to Five

With a back-to-back against Portland, the Spurs don't have any time to feel sorry for themselves. They need to come out and play with much more passion and understand that they will be playing another team on the road that desperately needs a win.

Believe.

Chieflion
11-06-2009, 04:49 AM
So what now? Those who are above average on offense, can't play for shit on the other end. The same goes for good defenders who cannot do squat on the offensive end.

Capt Bringdown
11-06-2009, 04:54 AM
I'd like to see Blair starting. Call it an experiment, a short term measure, a way to light a fire under Bonner's ass (like that's going to happen) or the way forward, I'm not sure. But how many more looks do we need to see that Bonner's not going to work?

I wouldn't want to see Dice get the nod because we need to save him for the playoffs.

Our overall lack of athleticism is a big concern...

sabar
11-06-2009, 05:07 AM
Pop is undoubtedly hesitant to move Bonner and Finley to the bench because of their previous stints of getting down on themselves and bricking shots. The earlier it happens, the better as it gives more time for them to fit into a better-defined role. It was a poor defensive outing overall. I'd like to think that the team just needs to gel together more, as them getting blasted for missing defensive assignments during timeouts didn't seem to work.

It's difficult to draw much from games like this so early. Utah played with a purpose after being embarrassed multiple times and we are still raw as a team. Our largest issue in the short term is Jefferson's role in the offense along with overall team chemistry. Hopefully we see strides in the coming games. Combined with an adjustment to Finley and Bonner's playing time, defense will come more naturally to the team.

kobyz
11-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Mahinmi should start we need his quickness and athleticism on the defensive side.

baseline bum
11-06-2009, 05:41 AM
This team has been feast or famine so far this year. They're just too talented for this kind of crap, but the season's still young and full of opportunity should they quit believing their own hype and go out and show they have a pair. BTW, wouldn't tonight have been a nice night to have Bruce back with how bad Richard was getting torched? I don't know what the hell Pop & RC were thinking to not want to bring back a model professional like Bowen who still showed he had something left in the tank last year. Especially when Pop's giving two nobodies in Finley and Bonner starring roles again. :pctoss

Danny.Zhu
11-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Thank you for the game thought. The game is ugly though.

Allanon
11-06-2009, 05:45 AM
Good News: I'm not sure that this was so much the Spurs sucking but rather it was more of Boozer getting the taste of 40pt Dirk Diggler out of his mouth.

Bad News: Blazers also had a demoralizing loss just 2 days ago and will be out to prove they belong among the West elite.

Even more bad news: tlongII if the Blazers get the win :lol

Allanon
11-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Gregg Popovich

I really didn't understand what Pop had in mind. Not only is he not doing a very good job of making sure the Spurs have at least two of their top four players in the game, there was even a stretch in the first half that featured none of the four.

Pop's been watching Philip. Pop might do it here and there but Philip does this pretty much every game.

It's bad for winning games and leads to alot of close calls but it's great for development of the new players to give them confidence down the road. It's gonna lead to some losses but those guys will be alot more useful in the Playoffs.

Pop's gotta integrate a bunch of new guys while developing a slew of young guys...and it's gotta be done by March.

Spurs Brazil
11-06-2009, 06:06 AM
It's time to start Mason Jr and bench Finley.

AussieFanKurt
11-06-2009, 07:57 AM
not worried

DBMethos
11-06-2009, 07:58 AM
The Finley/Bonner starter experiment must end, and it must end soon. They're spot-minute bench players at best. Pop is continuously preaching that we need to get back to the old defensive Spurs mentality...starting those two matadors gets the gameplan off to a bad start and so far it's been almost impossible to reverse it.

Obstructed_View
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm disappointed with the effort, but If Roger Mason got his shot back, I'm okay with the trade-off.

The saddest part about the "bench Finley and Bonner" crowd is that they failed to realize that nobody behind Finley and Bonner has made any sort of a consistent case that they deserve to be ahead of either in the rotation, other than the rookie. Again, Roger Mason sure tried against Utah. Let's see him do it a couple of times in a row.

You would think, after all the times that Matt Bonner has his hand in a shooter's face, that he'd accidentally block one. I'm beginning to think he's missing the point of individual defense.

Speaking of individual defense, do the Spurs have anyone on the team that knows how to play it?

Duncan tweaked something running down the court with about 10:10 left to go in one of the quarters. I wouldn't be shocked if he sits tonight's game.

Manu's back to his vintage clown-prince flopping best. It's not really gaining him anything. I wish he'd stop it.

I've no doubt that this team is going to be able to tweak the defense and ratchet it down, but the effort is simply not there.

TJastal
11-06-2009, 08:45 AM
The Finley/Bonner starter experiment must end, and it must end soon. They're spot-minute bench players at best. Pop is continuously preaching that we need to get back to the old defensive Spurs mentality...starting those two matadors gets the gameplan off to a bad start and so far it's been almost impossible to reverse it.

Oh come on now, mr. strawman. They're not playing many minutes, just
20+ give or take. We HAVE to play them as starters, in order to mask their defeciencies. See how that works??

This is the absolute brilliance of the Gregg Poppovich, and should not be questioned by peons such as yourself.

Dice
11-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I was dissapointed in the Spurs inability to even slow down penetration to the lane. Tim and the other bigs don't have a chance to play "help defense" if there's nobody there for them to help. Utah's guards went wherever they wanted to go and the Jazz did a really good job of moving the ball around inside the perimeter.

I'm ok with Finley starting but I'd rather see anyone out there rather than Bonner. So far at the start of every game, the other teams bigs attack him for easy baskets. Then they're all warmed up and have confidence going when they go after Tim and the second unit bigs. He's a non factor other than his three ball which also hasn't really been a game changer. Put anyone in there with Tim to help defensively.

bigfan
11-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I think the four days off just killed any rhythm the team had so far this season. I look at this game like a first game of the season and think when they start playing in a normal every other day routine things will shape up. Tim limping does worry me though.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Starting both Finley and Bonner puts this team in a hole right out of the gate. It's stupid, and Pop needs to let go of his geriatric starter security blanket.

The other obvious change he needs to make is that two of the big four need to be on the court at all times.

ivanfromwestwood
11-06-2009, 09:19 AM
pop has to play fin/bonner. i think he's showcaseing them for a trade. too bad both suck and no teams will bite.

Warlord23
11-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Bonner and Finley may understand the system but they will never have enough physical ability (given Fin's advanced age and Bonner's Bonner-ness) to ever be effective 2-way role-players that can help this team contend for a championship.

Whereas players like Hairston and Mahinmi may not understand the system, but at least have the physical tools to contibute on both ends of the floor. Now I don't know that giving Hairston and Mahinmi more minutes is going to help them become what we need to win a 5th title. But I do know that playing Finley and Bonner is earning us a first or second round exit when we match up against the better teams in this league.

We've gone down the Finley/Bonner route for a full season, and we know what the results are. So the question is, do we take a chance on Mahinmi and Hairston with a very small probablity of success, or do we persist with Finley and Bonner with the certainty of failure? I'd much rather test the unknown, rather than go through deja vu when Finley and Bonner get destroyed by athletic players in the playoffs.

Phil Jackson took a chance on Ariza and it paid off; Orlando gambled with Courney Lee and it sorta paid off. Pop needs to throw Mahinmi and Hairston into the deep end and hope they swim; because otherwise we're all going to sink in May with Fin and Bonner.

ManuTastic
11-06-2009, 09:33 AM
It's time to start Mason Jr and bench Finley.

True dat X5

Supergirl
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I do think this game should be chalked up to TOO MUCH REST. The Spurs looked like they were using the game as a practice session for most of the night, which would explain what you noted about not having more than one of their big 4 on the floor for long stretches of the time.

wildbill2u
11-06-2009, 09:41 AM
If Finley and McDyce looked old and slow, it is because they ARE old and slow. Enough has been said about Finley here so I won't repeat.

Some here have thought McDyce could start when he learns the system. I don't think so.

Unlike many on this site, I guess I wasn't all that thrilled about bringing in another geriatric vet who was planning to retire for God's sake. He only stayed active because he thought he might get a smell of a title with the Spurs. I'm sure he didn't think at the retirement stage of his career that he was going to have to be an important part of the rotation when he was looking into assisted living homes.

completely deck
11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not jumping off a cliff, I'm not giving up on this team--far from it. I'm concerned. I understand that having this many additions to the team is going to take time to let it gel, but time is of the essence. Time is something that is few and far between. With as many things I saw wrong last night, it concerns me thinking we have to get it together by the spring. I have faith in this team that they can do it.

I'll use the Portland game as a barometer--to see if they have the will to win another championship.

quentin_compson
11-06-2009, 09:49 AM
This was certainly not a fun game to watch. It was kind of embarrassing to see Utah score at will in the paint. Tony tried to take over in the second quarter, but it wasn't enough.

Dice looked very rusty, but I'm still confident he will improve as the season progresses. Jefferson was OK on offensive, but too lackluster at the defensive end. Manu was off in about almost any aspect of his game, and Hill wasn't much better.

But the main thing is we all saw that Bonner and Finley won't help us in any way if they're not scoring at least the same amount of points they give up on the other end. I just hope Pop saw it too.

superbigtime
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
We looked just awful. Tim is slow and gimpy and has no lift. We got scored on ine th paint easily; I think Theo could have helped with that. If Bogans is getting 11 minutes that is a BAD sign. Finley and Bonner are soft. Poor chemistry. McDyess looked slow and old. Manu out of rhythm. Just YUCK.

My Fault
11-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Pop's been watching Philip. Pop might do it here and there but Philip does this pretty much every game.

It's bad for winning games and leads to alot of close calls but it's great for development of the new players to give them confidence down the road. It's gonna lead to some losses but those guys will be alot more useful in the Playoffs.

Pop's gotta integrate a bunch of new guys while developing a slew of young guys...and it's gotta be done by March.

benefactor
11-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Lots of days off...hungry Utah team at home...yeah, things went about like I expected them to go. Today is a new day.

I agree with those that say it's time to put Mason back in the starting lineup. Actually, I was saying this before the Kings game. Hopefully Duncan is alright too. The last thing we need is any worries regarding his durability.

Looks like it will be a slow day for me in the Spurs forum, as I refuse to waste time posting in the the post loss garbage threads. I love this place, but that is one of the turn offs for me.

Harry Callahan
11-06-2009, 10:32 AM
If you can't defend or get the defensive rebound, you are in trouble.

I'm concerned about Duncan and Gino's rustiness/lack of mobility. The younger guys on the team (Hill, Blair) must get going. Mason and Mahimi need to play more - Finley and Bonner less.

There is a serious lack of cohesiveness right now and if they don't get it figured out by game 20, a low seed and quick elimination may be coming again.

RJ and AM looked lost out there on defense as well. It's a long season and they will probably pick it up, but if Duncan and Ginobili play like they've played the first four games for an extended period of time, all the seemingly positive roster changes will not matter.

lefty
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Dice was so nonchalant
Bonner sucks

Okur looked like Hakeem
Boozer was Karlmalonesque

If we make those 2 guys look like HOF's, we have a problem

robert1886
11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Hard to watch last night's game but i know a couple of things it is still early as hell. We have a lot of new faces trying to find their role. Also you have a VERY VERY hungry team in the jazz who had to win this game and were playing at home where they are really good. Another game tonight against another good opponent hopefully we can come away with this one if not we still have a long way to go in the season...GO SPURS

tmtcsc
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Horrible game all the way around. Everyone put forth a lack luster effort on both offense and defense. Someone needs to tell RJ to forget the 3 point shot. Just take the ball to the hoop when you can. Earn your points from the paint or the FT line.

Tim has me worried. I saw the limping and I saw him dragging around the court quite a bit. I hope its just fatigue from the layoff.

Its going to take some time for the team to gel. McDyess looked awful too. Actually, everyone looked pretty bad. Tonight could be worse.

elbamba
11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Mahinmi should start we need his quickness and athleticism on the defensive side.

I think the Spurs need to put Boggans on the IR and bring in one of the two 7 footers we have sitting on the IR right now. Both of those players will play better defense then Bonner. And Bonner is not making shots so he is killing us at both ends right now. I know that Mahimi nor Hailsip are going to be all-stars but at this point in the season why not give them some playing time and see if they can contribute.

They could not do any worse then Boggans and Bonner right now.

peacemaker885
11-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I think the Spurs need to put Boggans on the IR and bring in one of the two 7 footers we have sitting on the IR right now. Both of those players will play better defense then Bonner. And Bonner is not making shots so he is killing us at both ends right now. I know that Mahimi nor Hailsip are going to be all-stars but at this point in the season why not give them some playing time and see if they can contribute.

They could not do any worse then Boggans and Bonner right now.

I don't think we have 7 footers in our roster. Mahinmi is listed at 6-11 and Haislip at 6-10.

DaBears
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
4 Starters!!!!!!!!

Duncan looks god awful, when you are talking about his athleticism.. Not sure what is really his problem.. Maybe his knee is just not there for him anymore, and he has never been able to jump which is currently on display never the more evident than last night against Boozer.

Coaching staff needs to figure out a way to get others involved, because the one man show doesn't work......

Last crutch for this team appears to be REBOUNDING... Even in the Wins i notced that they would still have a problem... SPURS are still small up front and that needs to be addressed..

usckk
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
The most problematic event from yesterday was seeing Duncan limp. This was actually NOT the first time I noticed an altered gate. I actually saw limping on the very first game. The other problems from yesterday, such as the bad defense, questionable starting lineup, and such, can be changed and improved as the season goes on. But an healthy Duncan is something that may never get better. I'm sorry for being a little pessimistic, but if we do not have a healthy Duncan, we have NO chance of winning the championship.

usckk
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Also, Mason needs to start ASAP. He fits perfectly in that role with the players surrounding him. I fail to understand why Pop started him at the start of this season. Mason already had a season under his belt, and he excelled last season.

I'm willing to let Bonner start for a few more games. McDyess is still too new the system and seems slow in picking up the new schemes, understandably so.

DaBears
11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
SPURS should rethink their whole concept on defense.... They need to protect the basket, Bonner at Center is not the answer short term or long term...... He cant rebound due to who he plays, constantly away from the basket.... Not To mention his T-REX like arms......

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Bonner and Finley need to find their way to the end of the bench. Finley needs to go to the Steve Smith/Steve Kerr role of mentoring, and playing in certain matchups. Bonner just needs to go. When Matt's not making shots his worth to the team is zero because he can't rebound or play defense.

McDyess and Blair need Bonner's minutes and they need to work on their defense. I have high expectations for both of them.

George Hill is not capable of being this team's #2 point guard. Let me rephrase...he's capable if we like losing to teams like the Jazz. I like him as a backup 2 and a 3rd string point...again as a situational player.

Timmy's knee is scary.

Games like this make me miss Bruce. The D was horrible.

xtremesteven33
11-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Bonner and Finley need to find their way to the end of the bench. Finley needs to go to the Steve Smith/Steve Kerr role of mentoring, and playing in certain matchups. Bonner just needs to go. When Matt's not making shots his worth to the team is zero because he can't rebound or play defense.

McDyess and Blair need Bonner's minutes and they need to work on their defense. I have high expectations for both of them.

George Hill is not capable of being this team's #2 point guard. Let me rephrase...he's capable if we like losing to teams like the Jazz. I like him as a backup 2 and a 3rd string point...again as a situational player.

Timmy's knee is scary.

Games like this make me miss Bruce. The D was horrible.

:tu :tu

Took the words right out of my mouth....

rayray2k8
11-06-2009, 11:51 AM
This was a good loss in my opinion. Just goes to show that there are a few players who shouldn't be starting
and there are a few who should be starting..
Hope Pop saw that.

DaBears
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
REBOUNDING plus SHOT BLOCKING = WINS

DaBears
11-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Both of which we currently lacking....

loveforthegame
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I can't believe people are even complaining about Bonner and Finley when we have bigger concerns than that.

*Duncan looks old and slow. I'm hoping he's just working back into shape but watching him lumber around on offense, miss rotations, and limp around is not a good sign at all.

*Jefferson is a monster when he's attacking the basket and has been decent on the corner 3s. But this is supposed to be our new perimeter defender and he looks almost as bad as Finley.

*McDyess looks his age. He's getting burned on defense badly. I hope to chalk it up to learning and adjusting to the system but he looks as lost out there as Elson did.

Not conerned about Hill or Ginobli. They've been good so far but just had a bad game. I expect them to bounce back and be fine.

Pop needed to throw Ratiliff out there for a few minutes just to see if he could change things up. But he was probably saving him for Portland tonight.

I don't mind Finley starting because it's not like Mason is playing so much better than him but that could change. Bogans is even worse.

I'd like to see Blair get the chance to start in place of Bonner. His defense isn't all that but that man hustles, rebounds, and brings energy, and works for baskets inside. If not Blair then McDyess could benefit playing alongside Duncan.

Chomag
11-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I for one hated to see us losing. However it does seem bittersweet because at least now we know for sure what things need to be addressed. I just hope Pop sees the same thing.

One thing is for sure Timmy can not guard the paint all himself anymore he needs help.

quentin_compson
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM
This was a good loss in my opinion. Just goes to show that there are a few players who shouldn't be starting
and there are a few who should be starting..
Hope Pop saw that.

I know where you're going with this, but it was pretty hard to find 5 guys who looked like they should be starting yesterday.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I can't believe people are even complaining about Bonner and Finley when we have bigger concerns than that.

*Duncan looks old and slow. I'm hoping he's just working back into shape but watching him lumber around on offense, miss rotations, and limp around is not a good sign at all.

*Jefferson is a monster when he's attacking the basket and has been decent on the corner 3s. But this is supposed to be our new perimeter defender and he looks almost as bad as Finley.

*McDyess looks his age. He's getting burned on defense badly. I hope to chalk it up to learning and adjusting to the system but he looks as lost out there as Elson did.

Not conerned about Hill or Ginobli. They've been good so far but just had a bad game. I expect them to bounce back and be fine.

Pop needed to throw Ratiliff out there for a few minutes just to see if he could change things up. But he was probably saving him for Portland tonight.

I don't mind Finley starting because it's not like Mason is playing so much better than him but that could change. Bogans is even worse.

I'd like to see Blair get the chance to start in place of Bonner. His defense isn't all that but that man hustles, rebounds, and brings energy, and works for baskets inside. If not Blair then McDyess could benefit playing alongside Duncan.

I'm with you on most of what you said. Hill's the only exception. To me it doesn't appear that he can run the offense. Maybe that will come. I think he's a talented player...he just doesn't look like a point guard who can be turned to in pressure situations.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Oh, and McDyess is definitely going to get better out there.

xtremesteven33
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
It seems Pop is being stubborn again. Just like last year when he refused to play more minutes for Hill in the playoffs when the matchup was obviosuly perfect for him to play in.

I think Pop (no "offense" to him) has got to pull his head out his ass. Stop with the experementing already and lets get the real rotation cracking...

wildbill2u
11-06-2009, 12:30 PM
The most problematic event from yesterday was seeing Duncan limp. This was actually NOT the first time I noticed an altered gate. I actually saw limping on the very first game. The other problems from yesterday, such as the bad defense, questionable starting lineup, and such, can be changed and improved as the season goes on. But an healthy Duncan is something that may never get better. I'm sorry for being a little pessimistic, but if we do not have a healthy Duncan, we have NO chance of winning the championship.

A limp could be a result of the protective knee brace which alters the normal gait. The problem with that is that altering the normal gait can lead to other abnormalities in the functionin of the other leg.

phxspurfan
11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it looks like Tim's days as a go-to 25-15 player (during the crucial games, not as an average) are over if the opposing bigs are physical with him. Also the days of Timmy requiring a double-team are definitely over if the opposing coach takes note of his lack of mobility.

But too many players on this team are slumping at once to make me believe we can't shake out of this funk. Manu will get his rhythm back in a few games. Tony probably needs some rest already from a work-heavy summer. Tim needs to quit whining about no-calls and practice hard to redevelop his post moves. RMJ needs to fire em up like he did in garbage time last night, with no conscience. And RJ and McDyess just need to keep pushing; they have proven track records in this league and things will get better for them.

:flag::ihit:lobt2:

Some thigns I noticed as I watched the game last night:

Manu dribbling the length of the court with about 7 seconds left in one of the quarters (maybe the 3rd...?) and hustling down like there was only 3 seconds left made me realize he's not fluid right now. Which is ok and to be expected after a summer of doing nothing. But yeah, with 7 seconds left and if you're already past halfcourt, Manu, you can afford to let McDyess or a shooter come into view and setup a quick screen instead of just firing it up like there's no time left.

Parker didn't have his usual legs to finish shots in the paint that he finds simple. And it was probably due to a combination of altitude + conditioning, the time off, the Jazz's physicality and the entire team being out of sync.

Duncan kept using the same inside move everyone knows he uses there he sweeps the arms low and brings the ball up in front of the hoop. The reason he could do it before with success was because he was quicker, the fouls were called when players slapped at the hands. But in Utah I think he's got to go glass more and be quicker with his moves. Maybe throw in a spin move to counter all the leaning they do on him.

George Hill was playing textbook defense at halfcourt when Dwill was bringing the ball up. The problem I saw was with the communication with the rest of the team on screens. When the inevitable backscreen would come, he seemed to react too slowly, go under and take a bad angle that wouldn't allow him to alter the shot. Combined with Utah's good shotting from inside the arc, he got burned several times. So I think if they practice the pick and roll and talking to each other before it happens, he can go over the pick or they can switch and have more fluid defensive coverage of it in the future.

TDMVPDPOY
11-06-2009, 12:53 PM
For dice to get started, he needs minutes and touches or a few plays run for him

everytime ive seen him on court he rarely touches the ball or any plays for hiim at all...while other guys just auto shoots

everytime duncan gets outplayed he just allows them to overplay him :( duncan should just get rid of that knee brace, he didnt have to play with it last season...

SamoanTD
11-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I really liked bogans he was moving with a purpose last night yes hes awful at offense but thats not why hes here so I can live with that but he was really nice on defence. I wanted to see ratliff in there but its ok they probably saving him for tonight when we play a squad with some REAL size. Jefferson I dont really like to much I mean I know your mad but not ALL the blame should go on blair I mean jefferson was barely or not even staying in front of his man and he expects like blair to be some super stopper or something lol. Bt all in all this was a tough one to swallow just the fact that we all know our team can play a shit load better than this lol.

kace
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
We looked just awful. Tim is slow and gimpy and has no lift. We got scored on ine th paint easily; I think Theo could have helped with that. If Bogans is getting 11 minutes that is a BAD sign. Finley and Bonner are soft. Poor chemistry. McDyess looked slow and old. Manu out of rhythm. Just YUCK.

your sig with the truck wheel is just awful... i hope you don't think it's funny, but i fear you do.

Dex
11-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm officially on the Matt Bonner Hate Wagon. I wanted to give this guy a chance, but here's the problem:

Last season, Bonner was a top 5 three point shooter. He was hitting his shots at the most consistent pace of his career, and he was still a give-and-take kind of player. Despite being one of the league's best long bombers, he still managed to be below average due to his lack of consistent post game, defense, and rebounding.

Even if Matt were to miraculously repeat his shooting from last season, he'd still be an average-to-below-average player. And I don't see him being able to pull that off again. Is that really want we want starting for this squad, when you've got better options just waiting on the bench?

When we had Bowen starting, it was all about getting the other team in a funk and disrupting their offense early. Now with the traffic cones known as Michael Finley and Matt Bonner, all we're doing is sparking the other teams doobie and spotting them ten points.

FvckMavs
11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I just can't help missing Bowen for the whole game last night when we couldn't make a stop. Even a 39-year-old Bowen will help us defensively. His offense won't be worse than Bogans'.

Rev Hill
11-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I agree it's early, but I definitely agree the Finley/Bonner thing isn't working, particularly Bonner. It's very painful to watch Bonner out there because you just know he isn't going to give you much at all. As much as I would like to see him succeed, he isn't doing much. His 3pt shooting has been off, he doesn't rebound, he doesn't move well on defense, he doesn't get to the line, he doesn't move well without the ball, he doesn't block shots....too may "doesn'ts" to deserve major minutes. I think now would be a good time to see what Haislip can provide. I see him in a Robert Horry role. At least me may be able to get some boards and block some shots which nobody can seem to do on the Spurs. He is athetic. He can also spot up for the 3.

Sit Bonner, play Haislip...it can't hurt.

Whisky Dog
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
This does not look like a Spurs team at all.

There looks to be something very wrong chemstry wise, they don't look like they are on the same page or even really like each other much judging by their looks and body language.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is conflict behind the scenes - they look like the Clipper or Warriors or Knicks when those teams had conflicts of personality.

da_suns_fan
11-06-2009, 01:45 PM
They need to replace Ginobili. He just cant do what they need him to do anymore.

btw - I was AMAZED at how quickly Spurs fans dismissed Bruce Bowen. As if any player in the league was more frustrating to play against or got away with more calls. The Spurs defense is now average.

Brazil
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm with you on most of what you said. Hill's the only exception. To me it doesn't appear that he can run the offense. Maybe that will come. I think he's a talented player...he just doesn't look like a point guard who can be turned to in pressure situations.

Come on... Hill is the future CP3, we have to trade Parker for Biedrins and let Hill being our 1st PG he will put 20 8 3 at 50% FG... :king

AFBlue
11-06-2009, 01:48 PM

There looks to be something very wrong chemstry wise, they don't look like they are on the same page or even really like each other much judging by their looks and body language.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is conflict behind the scenes - they look like the Clipper or Warriors or Knicks when those teams had conflicts of personality.

You don't build chemistry overnight. Teams and players take time to jell and this year it's especially challenging because the added pieces are expected to contribute right away.

I sincerely doubt there will be much conflict behind the scenes, because all of the players are good character guys. Spurs just won't be worried or overreact to a couple losses like fans will.

AFBlue
11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
On Hill...my biggest problem with him was his defense, his supposed specialty. He got routinely beat off the dribble, picked off, missed rotations and failed to use his length and athleticism to his advantage.

I actually was impressed with his early offensive aggressiveness, but once he started struggling, I think it got in his head.

Just a poor overall performance, but I think that's honestly to be expected from a second-year PG.

Agloco
11-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I would like to have seen Theo for at least 10-15 minutes. I'm sure that would have slowed down Williams and Boozer a bit anyway.

Agloco
11-06-2009, 01:54 PM
They need to replace Ginobili. He just cant do what they need him to do anymore.

btw - I was AMAZED at how quickly Spurs fans dismissed Bruce Bowen. As if any player in the league was more frustrating to play against or got away with more calls. The Spurs defense is now average.

You mean like what he did against the Hornets and Kings?

AFBlue
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
One more thought...

I have to echo the sentiment that it's time to change up the starting lineup. Finley should be the backup 3, not the starting 2. As for Bonner...he needs to be benched because his defense (or lack thereof) sets the Spurs back from the get-go.

Whether or not that starter is Blair, he needs to continue to see his minutes go up...he's the most productive big outside of Duncan right now.

timvp
11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Knowing Pop, he'll give the Finley+Bonner starting lineup one more game. If the Spurs lose tonight against Portland, expect Pop to mix up the starting lineup over the weekend and debut something new on Monday.

Finley+Bonner was always going to be temporary but I think Pop wanted it to last more than four games. Eventually, you gotta think McDyess will start. Who knows with Finley, though . . . :rolleyes :shootme

AFBlue
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Knowing Pop, he'll give the Finley+Bonner starting lineup one more game. If the Spurs lose tonight against Portland, expect Pop to mix up the starting lineup over the weekend and debut something new on Monday.

Finley+Bonner was always going to be temporary but I think Pop wanted it to last more than four games. Eventually, you gotta think McDyess will start. Who knows with Finley, though . . . :rolleyes :shootme

I just don't understand the Finley move...

To start the game the Spurs have two 6'7 225lb forwards, and then for long stretches they roll with two 6'5 200lb guards. They're just begging to get exploited on mismatches throughout the contest.

Whether it's Mason or Manu, someone other than Finley needs to start alongside RJ. Obviously I'm preaching to the choir, but it boggles my mind that this isn't clearly evident to a basketball genius like Pop.

phxspurfan
11-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Who would you rather have Pop start than Finley? Sure he's a turnstile on D but I don't see Kobe on this team. And we all know Manu can't handle 30 minutes a night for 82 games. And RMJ is like Finley with a less reliable J right now.

Warlord23
11-06-2009, 03:40 PM
^^ I don't care who starts. SG/SF minutes are interchangeable and need to be spread out between Manu/RJ/Mason/Hairston with situational use of Bogans or Hill based on matchups.

AFBlue
11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Who would you rather have Pop start than Finley? Sure he's a turnstile on D but I don't see Kobe on this team. And we all know Manu can't handle 30 minutes a night for 82 games. And RMJ is like Finley with a less reliable J right now.

At least Roger Mason Jr. is a shooting guard! Finley doesn't have the speed or athleticism to guard perimeter players anymore...he's a 3, it's that simple.

And the Spurs already have a starting 3-man in Jefferson. So, move Mason to the starting lineup as a SG and bring Finley off the bench as RJs backup. I don't understand how that doesn't make sense.

AFBlue
11-06-2009, 03:54 PM
^^ I don't care who starts. SG/SF minutes are interchangeable and need to be spread out between Manu/RJ/Mason/Hairston with situational use of Bogans or Hill based on matchups.

Disagree...as I said before, trotting out Fin/RJ is begging to get beat by quicker perimeter players, and trotting out Mason/Manu is begging to get beat by bigger forwards.

timvp
11-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Who would you rather have Pop start than Finley?

RMJ, Manu, Hill, Hairston, Bogans, Bowen . . .

We already know what Finley can bring. And it's not enough. At this point of his career, there is only downside. He's not going to become anything more than a streaky shooter who brings nothing else to the table other than veteran leadership.

At least with someone like RMJ there is upside. Even if Finley = RMJ right now, RMJ has room to grow while Finley will either stay the same or get worse.

Like I've always said ... Finley is a spot role is fine. Finley as a placeholder when surrounded by quality defensive talent is fine. But Finley getting consistent minutes when he's surrounded by non-elite defenders is a recipe for disaster.

mytespurs
11-06-2009, 04:19 PM
After four days of rest, the Spurs traveled to Utah and took on a Jazz team that desperately needed a win. From the beginning, the Jazz played with more energy, more toughness and more urgency and handily defeated the Spurs by a final score of 113-99.

With the Spurs up 14-12 halfway through the first quarter, the wheels fell off. The Jazz outscored the Spurs 20-8 the rest of the period. From that point on, San Antonio never really made it much of a contest.

The Jazz entered the game 1-3 and were coming off two bitter defeats. Carlos Boozer, specifically, was starting to feel the heat. You have to give Utah credit for playing a very good game. Boozer and Deron Williams played fantastic and it was obvious that they came to this game with playoff intensity.

It'd be easy to blame the poor performance of the Spurs on rust ... but rust doesn't account for getting physically manhandled or the multiple mental lapses. If anything, this game showed that the Spurs have a long ways to go before they can claim to be true championship contenders.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
30:12 minutes, 15 points, 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists
5-for-10 from the field, 5-for-8 at the line

It wasn't a very pretty game for Tim Duncan. Offensively, he started off very poor but eventually got into a groove. Once he upped his assertiveness on the low blocks, he was able to be effective. Defensively, Duncan was decent. He protected the rim well but didn't play very good individual defense. Duncan was also slow to rotate a few times. The worst news of the night is that Duncan was limping a few times. Hopefully it's not anything serious.

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
25:02 minutes, 11 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals
3-for-8 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers, 4-for-6 at the line

For the first time this season, I didn't like the way Manu Ginobili played. He was making bad decisions with the ball almost every time he touched it. He took ill-advised shots, he forced the issue too much and seemed to break any offensive rhythm the team gained. Even the shots Ginobili made weren't very smart possessions. On the defensive end he was a bit better but he gambled too much. Basically, Ginobili played like he was totally out sync.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
28:34 minutes, 21 points, 3 assists
6-for-14 from the field, 9-for-9 from the line

Tony Parker had quality stretch in the second quarter. He attacked the basket relentlessly and kept the Spurs from getting blown out. But once he got in foul trouble, he struggled on both ends of the court. His attack level was decreased on offense. Defensively, he became a traffic cone. For the Spurs to win this game, they needed a much better and more consistent effort from Parker.

Richard Jefferson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3523.jpg
27:24 minutes, 14 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists
5-for-9 from the field, 2-for-3 on three-pointers, 2-for-4 at the line

Although his offensive stats look good on paper, Richard Jefferson had an outing to forget. His defense, or lack thereof, got him benched on a pair of occasions. The first instance was due to allowing unimpeded penetration by Wes Matthews on multiple possessions. The second benching was after Jefferson missed a short shot and then lollygagged back on transition defense. The previous three games of the season, I thought Jefferson spent plenty of energy on the defensive end. This game, he played poorly on that end and without much energy. On offense, Jefferson still is struggling to gel. Right now, he's either getting open looks off of Parker's penetration or Pop has to call a play for him to get involved. Jefferson needs to figure out how to fit in during normal offensive sets.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
16:52 minutes, 6 points, 1 blocked shot
2-for-5 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

This was one of those games that Michael Finley just had dead legs. He wasn't jumping well. He was moving in slow motion. Going against the Jazz on their home court, that's a bad combination. He hit a couple of shots but that didn't make up for the 36-year-old looking like he was going on 56.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
17:08 minutes, 3 points, 2 rebounds
1-for-6 from the field, 1-for-5 on three-pointers

You very rarely see Mehmet Okur utilize his quickness to beat his defender off the dribble and get to the rim. In fact, the only time I've seen it is when he's being defended by Matt Bonner. When defending the post, Bonner was adequate. But when Okur is getting around him with his molasses maneuvers, something isn't quite right with Bonner's defense. Add in his poor shooting and Bonner was definitely a part of the problem on Thursday night.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg
22:36 minutes, 6 points, 4 rebounds, 1 blocked shot
2-for-5 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

In the first half, Antonio McDyess wasn't helping at all. He was getting scored on in the block and was having even less success defending out on the perimeter. He also wasn't helping on the defensive boards and was a non-factor on the offensive end. In the second half, McDyess was much better. While still not at a level the Spurs need from him, it was definitely better than the forgettable play of the first two quarters.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
17:42 minutes, 7 points, 1 steal
3-for-6 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Roger Mason, Jr. was one of the few bright spots for the Spurs. He played with purpose on the offensive end and acted like he knew what he wanted. Defensively he was pressuring his man and even ventured into the passing lanes a few times. It was easily Mason's best game of the season and perhaps it was enough for Pop to give him more minutes.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
22:41 minutes, 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
1-for-8 from the field

George Hill's performance was bad. Very bad. In fact, it had to make Pop think about whether or not Hill can handle the pressure in an hostile environment. This was his first true test of his sophomore season and it is safe to say that he didn't pass. When he wasn't missing shots he was having trouble running the offense or getting beat on the defensive end. Hill needs a much better showing in Portland to erase any early season doubts.

DeJuan Blair
http://dailyelements.com/dejuan-blair.jpg
21:07 minutes, 14 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block
7-for-10 from the field

It was another impressive statistical performance by DeJuan Blair. Though a chunk of his stats can in garbage time, he played relatively well throughout and gave consistent effort. His defense still has a long, long way to go but I'm seeing slight improvements. Offensively, he's fitting in well and seems to relish the role of the garbage man.

Keith Bogans
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3746.jpg
10:42 minutes, 1 turnover, 2 fouls
1-for-5 from the field, 1-for-2 at the line

When Pop benched Jefferson, Keith Bogans was sent into the game. It was an obvious attempt by Pop to get the message across that defense is what will earn playing time. Bogans was ugly offensively but he was very physical on defense and showed why Pop likes him. He was one of the few Spurs that wasn't getting pushed around. That said, his offense is so bad right now that it's difficult to put him on the court.

Gregg Popovich

I really didn't understand what Pop had in mind. Not only is he not doing a very good job of making sure the Spurs have at least two of their top four players in the game, there was even a stretch in the first half that featured none of the four. I'm also counting down the days until the end of the starting lineup that features both Finley and Bonner. Starting one of those players isn't the end of the world. Starting both? Please make it stop, Pop.

Offense

The Spurs scored 99 points, which should be good enough for a San Antonio squad to win the game. They shot 43.2% from the field, hit 6-of-16 three-pointers and 23-of-31 free throw attempts. Finishing with 14 assists shows that the chemistry on the offensive end is still a work in progress. But really, having 80 points heading into the fourth quarter should be plenty.

Defense

Defense was the downfall. The Jazz scored 113 points and most of the points were rather easy. In fact, 64 of the points were scored in the paint, while another 24 came from the free throw line. Even though the Jazz hit only 1-of-7 three-pointers, they hit 43-of-76 of their two-pointers -- or 56.6%. They also racked up 23 assists while only turning the ball over 10 times. The cherry on top was the fact that the Jazz outrebounded the Spurs 41-36, which included 14 offensive rebounds for Utah.

Drive to Five

With a back-to-back against Portland, the Spurs don't have any time to feel sorry for themselves. They need to come out and play with much more passion and understand that they will be playing another team on the road that desperately needs a win.

Believe.

I always look forward to timvp's analysis. Thanks!

Do you think that this lineup may not gel into what they can be until next season? :wow

Realistically, it will take some time-hopefully the Spurs will get it together come playoff time. Right now, all the panicking and jumping off the bandwagon is much adieu about nothing. :king

objective
11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Posted it before, I'll post it again.

Now is the point of the season to play Hairston, Haislip and Mahinmi. This part of the year there's lots of days off for practices and little pressure in the standings, the perfect time to give those three a serious, legit look. Even one or two of them as starters.

We all know what Bonner and Finley will bring, such as it is. They've both been in the system for at least 3 full seasons, they aren't going to forget how to play if they get brought back into the fold 25 or 30 games into the season if they other guys flame out.

I'm expecting at some point Pop might switch Bonner out as a starter . . . but I can't see that with Finley.

If you were told in the summer that the Spurs would start the season with a healthy Richard Jefferson, a healthy Manu Ginobili, a healthy and beginning his second full year in the system Roger Mason, a healthy George Hill coming off an incredible summer league and pre-season, and a healthy Malik Hairston coming off strong showings in SL and pre-season . . . . would you have predicted that Michael Finley would be the starter and getting anything other than garbage time minutes? It's illogical, but predictable with Pop.

da_suns_fan
11-06-2009, 05:22 PM
You mean like what he did against the Hornets and Kings?

Are you serious?

Obstructed_View
11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Even if Matt were to miraculously repeat his shooting from last season, he'd still be an average-to-below-average player. And I don't see him being able to pull that off again. Is that really want we want starting for this squad, when you've got better options just waiting on the bench?

So far, I haven't seen much to convince me that there's anyone in the rotation better than Bonner yet. Blair's individual defense was much improved last night, so if he can keep that up for a few games it might buy him a starting bid, but McDyess and RJ were the worst defenders on the floor last night, and it wasn't even close.

symple19
11-06-2009, 06:06 PM

This is what I think as well(with the exception of watching Phil). Great, insightful post. Pop has to look long term, and big picture. I'm going to let Pop do his thing and see how things develop. I'm not worried :flag:

SenorSpur
11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Personally, what I've seen out of Bonner, in the last 2 playoffs, is more than enough to convince me that he's miscast as a starter. No doubt he'd be a valuable contributor off the bench in a support role. However, it's plain to see that he is woefully overmatched against starting-caliber players, who are quicker and stronger than he is. Like Finley, he is a one-trick pony, who can do little else. Because of that fact, his on-court returns diminish when he isn't hitting his outside shot.

quentin_compson
11-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Come on, we've been through four games and you're already suspecting chemistry issues?

Whether or not that starter is Blair, he needs to continue to see his minutes go up...he's the most productive big outside of Duncan right now.

Right now, Blair is averaging almost 21 minutes, which is almost the same as Bonner and more than Dice. Do you really expect his minutes to increase even more?

I also think that his stats are a little misleading as they often have been assembled in garbage time. Don't get me wrong, though - I am thrilled with what DeJuan has brought to this team so far.

z0sa
11-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Fucking Bonner

SA210
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Terrible fucking performance. The worst thing for mine is that Pop looks clueless right now... get a real starting lineup in, and stop shuffling your players all the time!

It's really time for Bonner to sit. We are starting games poorly, and a big part of that is his defense. Time to start Dice, give him 30mins a game, and live with his mistakes - it's the only way he's going to get comfortable next to Timmy. As for Finley, I'd rather start Mason. He looks lighter, quicker, and more enthusiastic than Finley right now, and he can really spark the O by making a few set shots or pull-ups.

Manu was really off yesterday, surprisingly so given how good he's looked to start the season, and his body language even smelled of defeat, which is very rare for him. I hope it's just a temporary upset due to the rabies shots or something.

Really though, time to get serious, Pop. Get Dice in there to start at the very least, use Bonner only in situations where his matchup will not be ruthlessly exploited, and stop changing the rotation every two minutes. The guys look like they are confused - give them a solid rotation and let them settle down.

Blackjack
11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
San Antonio Spurs 99, Utah Jazz 113: the Late Edition
by Graydon Gordian

Ed. Note: I apologize there was no early edition. I had a quiz on futures markets in 17th century Osaka (Oh, how I wish I was kidding). Tim has children.

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don’t know we don’t know.

-Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

Coming into this season, the San Antonio Spurs faced three types of challenges: known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. Tim Duncan’s knees are a known known. His degenerative condition can be managed, but not reversed. There are known unknowns. For instance, we all know it’s likely that one of our offseason acquisitions will not meet expectations, but which one?

And then there are unknown unknowns. As in, “I never imagined the Spurs defense would be this woefully inept, even this early in the season.”

OK, so “woefully inept” may be a bit of an overstatement but only a bit. And, in terms of my highly repetitive rhetorical device, both the known knowns and the known unknowns play a significant role in the unknown unknown. (This has grown tiresome.)

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/11/06/san-antonio-spurs-99-utah-jazz-113-the-late-edition/)

SenorSpur
11-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Terrible fucking performance. The worst thing for mine is that Pop looks clueless right now... get a real starting lineup in, and stop shuffling your players all the time!

It's really time for Bonner to sit. We are starting games poorly, and a big part of that is his defense. Time to start Dice, give him 30mins a game, and live with his mistakes - it's the only way he's going to get comfortable next to Timmy. As for Finley, I'd rather start Mason. He looks lighter, quicker, and more enthusiastic than Finley right now, and he can really spark the O by making a few set shots or pull-ups.

Manu was really off yesterday, surprisingly so given how good he's looked to start the season, and his body language even smelled of defeat, which is very rare for him. I hope it's just a temporary upset due to the rabies shots or something.

Really though, time to get serious, Pop. Get Dice in there to start at the very least, use Bonner only in situations where his matchup will not be ruthlessly exploited, and stop changing the rotation every two minutes. The guys look like they are confused - give them a solid rotation and let them settle down.

Somehow Pop still believes and trusts that older, experienced, gravity-challenged, players can win out over youth, talent, and athleticism. Quite frankly, it's nice to have a mix of both. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
This lineup might actually work, though I'd love to see Manu and TP replace Mason and Finley for a bit

Amuseddaysleeper
11-06-2009, 11:14 PM
God bless Tim Duncan