PDA

View Full Version : Upshaw among final cuts as Gibbs sets roster

ducks
09-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Upshaw among final cuts as Gibbs sets roster

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
September 5, 2004

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs put the finishing touches on his first NFL roster in 12 years Sunday, cutting nine-year veteran defensive end Regan Upshaw and 21 others to reach the 53-man limit for the regular season.

The cuts resolved a tight competition for the backup running back positions when Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright beat out Sultan McCullough and John Simon. Curiously, Gibbs left the team with just four cornerbacks, including two who have durability issues.

Upshaw was the biggest name to go, but his release wasn't much of a surprise. He was a disappointment last year, starting only eight games after signing his five-year, $7.5 million contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
document.onLoad=write_script(DL_randnum)

Upshaw had a chance to stay because his replacement, newly signed free agent Phillip Daniels, missed nearly all of training camp with an abdominal strain. But Daniels played in the final exhibition game and appears set to start the opener next Sunday against Tampa Bay.

Betts and Cartwright were the obvious choices to back up Clinton Portis at running back until both were injured during the preseason, giving McCullough and Simon a chance to move up the depth chart.

McCullough led the team in rushing with 212 yards on 61 carries in the exhibition games, but Betts cemented his spot by returning from his hamstring injury to rush for two touchdowns Friday against Atlanta.

McCullough clearly wasn't happy as he arrived at Redskins Park to turn in his playbook. He said he had a dream that he made the team, but he awoke to a telephone message from running backs coach Ernest Byner informing him that reality would be different.

McCullough at best might end up on the practice squad.

``I don't want to be on the practice squad, honestly,'' said McCullough, who made the roster last year and played in one game. ``I think I'm good enough to be on the roster. To me, it's like a slap in the face.''

Cartwright sat out the Atlanta game with a shoulder injury, but his special teams abilities saved his roster spot. Simon also missed the game with a shoulder injury, so the team placed him on injured reserve, ruling him out for the season.

``I was nervous,'' said Cartwright, whose natural position of fullback doesn't have a place in Gibbs' offense. ``I did the things I needed to be able to do, and I made the roster.''

The biggest surprise might have been the decision to keep just four cornerbacks: Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, Ade Jimoh and Walt Harris. Springs is trying to shake an injury-prone label after missing 13 games over the last three years with Seattle, while Harris missed most of training camp while recovering from a serious knee injury.

Jimoh was one of the few players openly criticized last year by coach Steve Spurrier for poor play, yet he made the team over Rashad Bauman, a reliable nickel back for the last two years. Meanwhile, 5-foot-11 Smoot wants to prove he's a top cornerback after three years of playing in the shadow of departed Pro Bowler Champ Bailey.

The thin cornerback corps is compensated somewhat by the addition of first-round draft pick Sean Taylor at free safety. Taylor had a very good preseason, displaying the talents of a playmaker.

All four draft picks -- Taylor, H-back Chris Cooley and offensive linemen Mark Wilson and Jim Molinaro -- made the team. However, there are no undrafted rookie free agents among the 53, despite Gibbs' repeated emphasis on the need to find overlooked talent during the draft process.